TOTB (ten of the best)

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
UncreativeUsername37

Re: TOTB (ten of the best)

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Right, first test is over, I've had time to get used to or bored by all the liveries.

1. Toro Rosso — Why change greatness? Blue and silver is such a good combination, and the red stripes add another dash of colour that keeps it from being too simple.
2. Mercedes — The silver is appealingly shiny like aluminium foil, and the way it transitions into black around the fin looks so... I don't know, metallically cool. It's what all those sleek, bland corporate wordmarks wish they were. And the secondary black also means they've finally found a way to be friendly with the Petronas green, using it as a cliché but nice wave of light. Bonus points for good use of the halo.
3. Racing Point — This is the only colourful livery, and we should all appreciate it. Pink and white just isn't bold enough anymore, so now blue comes into the mix, and it works. The dark-magenta-or-something and silver stripes getting thicker as they come down is pretty awkward, but that's the only issue. Pink and blue, it turns out, is a great combination, as long as there's some white to keep them from actually touching. Hooray?
4. Red Bull — Same as always. I miss glossy purple. It's still a nice livery, though.
5. Alfa Romeo — The red so wonderfully flows with the shape of the car, and the black still adds a much-needed third colour. And that's about it. A nice evolution of last year.
6. Ferrari — It's primarily red, or perhaps vermilion, with enough black, or perhaps grey, patches around to keep it from being boring. It's the most interesting you'll get out of Ferrari.
7. McLaren — Despite their cool triangles, it's still mostly a bland livery. Most of the car one colour, the wings another. It isn't ugly by any means, but for F1 you want something more complex.
8. Haas — So boring. At least the top of the nose has enough gold to keep it from being bland, which is an important point considering the angle of a lot of shots, but look at it from anywhere else and you're smacked in the face with boredom, if that even makes sense.
9. Williams — The darker blue looks a lot better than what they had at launch. Either that or the lighting was just that bad. I'm still not loving the fade effect, the nose in particular looks really amateurish, but I can live with this one.
10. Renault — The back half of the car is fine, but the nose... I don't know, it's just a bit awkward. The change of colour shouldn't be so close to the corners. And those thin black lines really don't help matters.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Couldn't rank them specifically, but I'd say Alfa Romeo has my number one spot, and Haas is my least favourite. The Haas chassis was a serious mistake, and I really hope they change it by Australia.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
UncreativeUsername37

Top 10 Names of Unicode Blocks by Band Name Potential
10. Byzantine Musical Symbols
9. Miscellaneous Symbols
8. Armenian
7. Zanabazar Square
6. Private Use Area
5. Runic
4. Cuneiform
3. Phaistos Disc
2. Playing Cards
1. Mongolian Supplement
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

UncreativeUsername37 wrote:Top 10 Names of Unicode Blocks by Band Name Potential
10. Byzantine Musical Symbols
9. Miscellaneous Symbols
8. Armenian
7. Zanabazar Square
6. Private Use Area
5. Runic
4. Cuneiform
3. Phaistos Disc
2. Playing Cards
1. Mongolian Supplement

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Runic/986
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/R% ... 3540317677
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
UncreativeUsername37

Yep, I'm reviewing the "Starting Grid" pictures again. It's only later than last year because I decided the fairest thing to do was to take the pictures from the middle race of the season. A lot of this year's pictures are that really boring level of quality where they aren't good but still aren't bad enough to relentlessly mock, but there are still some things to talk about.

20. Daniel Ricciardo
What's going on with his left eye? The rest of his expression completes the look too. Without the weird conspiracy theorist twitchy eye, it'd be kind of okay.

19. Lance Stroll
He thinks his hair is cool. He thinks he's cool. He isn't even the coolest F1 midfielder whose name starts with Lan. I want to tell him to shut up and he's not even saying anything.

18. Lando Norris
He's trying to be all pouty and confident, but misjudges it and ends up looking a bit silly. He'll have it down at some point.

17. Antonio Giovinazzi
I don't like that face. He's either trying to sell me something illegal or stab me.

16. Lewis Hamilton
It's just like last year: it shows off his personality really well, but it's someone I don't like. If you're a Hamilton fan, imagine this is in 5th.

15. Charles Leclerc
He's trying to look cool with his chin up, but like Norris, he hasn't quite got it right. It's a fine line, the one between cool and silly.

14. Pierre Gasly
He isn't trying to do much of anything, yet still manages to screw up. He doesn't seem to understand that even when you're trying to be generic, you still have to compose yourself.

13. Alexander Albon
"Whoa, I'm in F1? Didn't expect this. Uh, okay, I'll try to do a pose." The fact that that's what actually happened is no excuse.

12. Robert Kubica
He looks kind of stupid and... er... I don't know how to say it without saying something awful. The way his head is shaped like, a big smile was the wrong choice. On the other hand, you can't not like how happy he is.

11. Sergio Pérez
His smile is still not-quite-derpy-but-I-don't-know-what-other-word-to-use. He's done his eyebrows well, though, which is more than some of the others can say.

10. Daniil Kvyat
He reminds me of a baseball player who's trying to look like they're trying to get out of the way of a pitch even though they mostly aren't. That said, he doesn't fail super hard at anything in particular, and this year that's enough for a top half result. sigh

9. Nico Hülkenberg
He doesn't quite do the "I'm going to defeat you" look well, but he gets a hell of a lot closer than Norris, for example.

8. Carlos Sainz
His lips seem really big and it looks funny, but like Kubica, I don't know what he's supposed to do about that. He'd be higher up if he did something with his left arm rather than just awkwardly leaving it hanging.

7. Max Verstappen
Basically like Hülkenberg but with the arms done a bit better. Still looks a bit silly overall, but like Kvyat, he doesn't fail really hard anywhere so he gets a decent placing.

6. Romain Grosjean
He isn't really trying to do anything. He's just looking plainly dignified for a photograph. But he doesn't screw anything up, so yay!

5. Sebastian Vettel
It's the same thing as Grosjean, but his hairstyle works slightly better with a serious pose than Grosjean's does.

4. Kimi Räikkönen
Same thing as last year but more. He clearly doesn't care and just wants this to be over with, but he's Kimi Räikkönen so that makes it cool.

3. Valtteri Bottas
He looks confident without looking like he wants to destroy you. It looks sterilely well-executed and has character at the same time.

2. Kevin Magnussen
He looks evil just like last year. And just like last year, I really like what he's done. He looks more like a kid pulling a prank than an antagonist, which is a shame, but still.

1. George Russell
Holy crap, this guy is ready for this Grand Prix. It's everything the other nineteen people have been trying to do. Just looking at him makes me feel like he can just maybe drag the Williams to not second last.
UncreativeUsername37

Top 10 F1 liveries of the 2010s
If I arbitrarily decide liveries are too similar, they can't both be on the list. Red Bull from 2010 to 2012, for example.

10. 2017 Force India
This one gets on the list for boldness more than anything. Who expected pale pink and bubbles to work on an F1 car? They even did something nice with the shark fin. (Though I was too bothered by those anyway....)

9. 2011 Red Bull
The dark blue that's also maybe a bit purple is a pleasing colour, and I like the red, light blue and also maybe a bit purple, and light grey lines. What do we have now? A dull, matte blue and a single red line. Bring back the shiny.

8. 2013 Red Bull
The Red Bull dark blue always mentally feels purple to me for whatever reason – it isn't a regular thing with dark blues – so when they made it actually purple it looked pretty cool. Just wish they'd done it with the whole thing.

7. 2018 Force India
A more satured pink plus white meant a livery that isn't good just for being pink. That stripe along the bottom is just the sort of thing they needed. The two additional colours at the back are a nice little detail too.

6. 2016 Manor
Blue and slightly red orange is a good combination. And the M is pretty cool. It could use a bit less black around the edges, but so could every F1 car these days....

5. 2019 Mercedes
Right after I say modern cars have too much black, the black bit is what makes this livery. Okay, silver and black isn't hard to do well, but they did do something cool with it. And the green lines are cool, doing the "streaks of light in a dark background" thing that so many drinks like to do but without being cheesy.

4. 2017 Sauber
Blue and gold is nice. Blue and white is nice. That's pretty much it, they just found a great but rare colour scheme.

3. 2011 Renault
*Black* and gold stripes, on the other hand, was chosen for already being a proven colour scheme. And they did enough to make the whole car pretty, unlike the black and gold livery of this year....

2. 2018 Toro Rosso
Usually when a livery is "striking", it shocks you with beauty the first time you see it and then it's quite good but not amazing, but this one keeps making me think "preeettty". Blue and silver is always good. Well, I shouldn't say that because Haas will find a way to prove me wrong. But it makes my brain happy. And then the red goes well with the rest of it and keeps the livery from being bland.

1. 2013 Lotus
(If this is too similar to the 2011 Renault for you, imagine the MR01 is in tenth.) Black and gold is already great, but the additional red pops in the perfect way. It makes a really nice contrast but still keeps it feeling like a single tied-together thing. More than six years later, this one still makes me think wow.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ten of the best… doctors (Doctor Who)

1. David Tennant (10th)

The Doctor that really got me hooked into the series.

2. Christopher Eccleston (9th)

My first Doctor that introduced me to the Whoniverse.

3. Paul McGann (8th)

Enjoyed the movie, and loved the fact that he came back to do a minisode that introduced his regeneration into the War Doctor. I love the line from that minisode, “Is this going to Hurt?”

4. John Hurt (War)

Could have been higher if he featured more, and possibly with a few solo episodes from the Time War. Or that could have ruined things? Depends on the quality of the writing.

5. Jodie Whittaker (13th)

Enjoying her time as the Doctor, but enjoying her second series more than her 1st series, and even then, enjoying some episodes more than others.

6. Peter Capaldi (12th)

Enjoyed him as a Doctor more than Matt Smith but still find many episodes forgettable.

7. Matt Smith (11th)

Just never warmed as much to him as a Doctor, with no real stand-out episodes that I personally find memorable.

8.= William Hartnell (1st), Patrick Troughton (2nd), Jon Pertwee (3rd), Tom Baker (4th), Peter Davison (5th), Colin Baker (6th), Sylvester McCoy (7th)

Hard to judge as I never really watched enough episodes of any of these classic Doctors to form a true opinion to list them separately.

Currently unclassified. The ‘Ruth’ Doctor (Jo Martin)

No idea where she fits into cannon, and only known as a Gallifreyan Time Lord for about ¼ of an episode. More screen time and information required.

DSQ. Shalka Doctor (Richard E. Grant)

Originally intended to be the reboot of the series and to be canonized as the official 9th Doctor but circumstances changed the plan. Also the only animated version to have been produced to have been intended as the official continuation.

DNQ. Rowan Atkinson, Richard E. Grant, Jim Broadbent, Hugh Grant, Joanna Lumley (9th to 13th Doctors in The Curse of Fatal Death)

Not intended to be an official continuation, but respecting the cannon nonetheless, respecting the 12 regeneration rule, that he is an alien/Time Lord from Gallifrey, etc.

DNPQ. Peter Cushing (Dr Who and the Daleks, Daleks’ Invasion Earth 2150 AD)

This version was not a Gallifreyan Time Lord but a human inventor whose real character name was Dr Who, with a self-built Tardis (not TARDIS), etc.

Ten of my favourite NuWho Companions

1. Rose Tyler
2. Captain Jack Harkness
3. Nardole
4. Donna Noble
5. Wilfred Mott
6. Lady Christina de Souza
7. Martha Jones
8. Bill Potts
9. River Song
10. Either Craig Owens or Jackson Lake
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Favourite Eurovision Songs (either genuinely or with a hint of “so bad, it’s good to me“)

- [ ] We Are The Winners - LT United, Lithuania, 2006
- [ ] Give That Wolf A Banana - Subwoolfer, Norway, 2022
- [ ] Party for Everybody -Buranovskiya Babushki, Russia, 2012
- [ ] Just A Little Bit - Gina G, UK, 1997
- [ ] Making Your Mind Up - Bucks Fizz, UK, 1981
- [ ] Save All Your Kisses For Me - Brotherhood of Mann, UK, 1976
- [ ] Waterloo - ABBA, Sweden, 1974
- [ ] Congratulations - Cliff Richard, UK, 1968
- [ ] I Wrote a Song - Mae Miller, UK, 2023
- [ ] Irelande Douze Points - Dustin The Turkey, Ireland, 2008
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA