Daniel Ricciardo
17%
Pepe Marti
6%

Total votes: 18

Londoner

Reject of the Race - Belgium 2023

Post by Londoner »

1. Carlos Sainz Jr. A tragicomedy of a race, all of his own making.

2. Daniel Ricciardo. Utterly demolished by Tsundoa today. A really inspired choice of replacement for De Vries clearly.

Honourable mentions to Haas and Red Dwarf: Back to Earth, which I started watching at lap 4 today having never seen it before, and which didn't live up to the hype. Hell, it even made Series 8 somewhat palatable at times.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Re: Reject of the Race - Belgium 2023

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

1. Ricciardo - where was he
2. Gasly - he's being passed by people he should be lapping
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
FalconCapelli

Post by FalconCapelli »

I would like to suggest something else

Pepe Marti is not only the ROTR but also the ROTY (Reject of the year)
Last edited by FalconCapelli on 03 Aug 2023, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
World's biggest Alpine and Chip Ganassi Racing Fan :dance:

Alt Mario Kart: Chunky Kong + Koopra Kids Kongsortium
Alt Crash Team Racing: Koala Kong + Pentacific
Copa Marlboro: Juan Carlos Elano + Elano Motorsport
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Carlos Sainz. Poor error which ended his own race as well as Piastri's.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I find it hard to nominate Sainz and Piastri, because it was a turn 1 incident and the offensive driver got duly punished.

My first nomination would be Alpine, for completely failing to capitalise on McLaren's "horror" weekend. McLaren had a dreadful draggy car on the straights that was rubbish in the dry and kept getting passed by everyone. Piastri didn't make it to the end of the first lap. How did Alpine not capitalise on this? More so than that, how did Norris actually beat both of them!

Lots of drivers had dreadful tyre runs and seemed to slip down the order. I feel like I saw Alex Albon do 50 overtakes, but he still finished out of the points afterwards. But again, this was more due to a lack of dry running until Sunday, so hard to throw any blame on a particular person.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Carlos Sainz Jr.: A race ruined on lap 1, ended up getting overtaken by everyone before giving up.
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

Belgian Elton John - I mean do I need to explain :P
Ricciardo - Qualified last and was beaten by Tsunoda quite cleanly in the race.
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1- Carlos Sainz and Ferrari While he got the punishment he clearly deserved the fact was that he took Pisatri out by leaving him no room - literally. However, I would add Ferrari onto this when they could see Sainz tumbling down the order and left him out (maybe it was extra punishment). Anyway after the rain (which did barely anything barring Russell and Norris) Ferrari finally gave up.

2-Belguim Elton John- Bloody hell that was Bad. Not exactly keeping it classy.

Hm- Ricciardo- had his backside kicked by Yuki. That's the dale I remember.
Last edited by rachel1990 on 30 Jul 2023, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
IceG

Post by IceG »

Alpine: not for the drivers or the cars but for their treatment of the management team - that is not how you move up the grid.

The Sky kids commentator team: a bunch of precocious children coached to behave and speak like adults whilst the graphics were straight out of a 1990s console game - yeugh! This could have been done so much better. Luckily there was cycling and cooking on other channels.

I loved Belgian Elton! And the flyover by a bunch of propeller trainers was the Kriek Lambic on the top. Belgium is such a great and quirky country.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Everyone but Max again :-)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

1. Carlos Sainz: Ruined his and Piastri’s races right off the bat.

2. Daniel Ricciardo: Totally anonymous compared to Tsunoda. This is showing that the performance of the car, or lack there of, has not been down to De Vries.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
mario

Post by mario »

rachel1990 wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 14:49 1- Carlos Sainz and Ferrari While he got the punishment he clearly deserved the fact was that he took Pisatri out by leaving him no room - literally. However, I would add Ferrari onto this when they could see Sainz tumbling down the order and left him out (maybe it was extra punishment). Anyway after the rain (which did barely anything barring Russell and Norris) Ferrari finally gave up.
It seems that Ferrari were basically hoping that there might be a very intensive rain shower, along the lines of what we saw on Friday and Saturday, which might result in the race being red flagged - that would then give them an opportunity to change the bodywork on Sainz's car during the red flag period. I am basing that on the fact that, before Sainz withdrew, he sent a message to the pits along the lines of "if the rain isn't going to be heavy enough to cause a red flag, then we should retire the car".
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Carlos Sainz Jr.: Spoilt not only his own race, but that of Piastri, with a dodgy start.

2) Daniel Ricciardo: Easily beaten by Tsunoda, a driver who hasn't exactly set the world alight.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

1. The rain for not turning up properly.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Yet again I have to suggest an outlandish choice that should never have been outlandish: Saubfer Romeo's Kick logos. I've heard several explanations of why big corporations are changing their logos to highly simplified, monochrome versions of what they used to display - it's so that they can be displayed in any colour on any background, usually with the intention of it being clear and obvious on a mobile phone screen. Kick, though, didn't get that message, because their lurid Mountain Dew-coloured logo clashed horribly with the deep red of Saubfer Romeo's livery. They even sloshed it all over the wheels. Hideous! Hideous! Kill it with fire. Get the drivers out first, mind.
Londoner wrote: 30 Jul 2023, 14:29 Honourable mentions to Haas and Red Dwarf: Back to Earth, which I started watching at lap 4 today having never seen it before, and which didn't live up to the hype. Hell, it even made Series 8 somewhat palatable at times.
14 years you've had to watch that. 14!

For the record, if we were to compare the series of Red Dwarf to the teams that competed in the 2010-12 seasons, Series 7 would be Caterham, Series 8 would be Marussia and Back To Earth would be HRT.

STOP PRESS: Red Bull's constructor trophy is going back to Milton Keynes in pieces. And this time, it wasn't Lando that did it, it was entirely of their own making!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I’ll go for the boring nominations this time

Sainz’s side of Ferrari: I can only assume the reason Ferrari wasted engine mileage on Sainz was down to them praying for the rain to red flag the race so they could fix the car because if not then what was the point? Carlos of course played his part by colliding with Piastri which effectively ended his race there and then. It’s astounding that he’s still without a podium this year (discounting the Austria Sprint) while Leclerc dragged a less than perfect chassis to his 3rd of the season.

The rain: Caused havoc all weekend and then the one time we actually wanted it to fall it refused to budge meaning a fairly static order to the end

DHM

Ricciardo: Let’s be real even if he hadn’t exceeded track limits in qualifying he wouldn’t have done anything on race day. Tsunoda mopped up with him.
Batty

Post by Batty »

Carlos Sainz - I mean while it was a racing incident, he blamed Piastri. Pretty rejectful

Buutttt

1. Alpine - The In/Out transfer of the team looked more like Chelsea sending their players off on loan. Then they didn't do much in the race except Ocon got some points. Then you had Otmar and Alan still there cause whatever. Prost's comments are a huge indictment on the team
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

It'd be easy to say Haas, but at this point, it's more shocking when they aren't nominated. So for the second week in a row its:

Alpine - Absolute hot mess off the track. Much like at Miami, the shake-up has led to a bit of an upswing, which will no doubt crash and burn post-summer break. When the commentators are openly setting bets on when you will sell up, it's not a good weekend. And none of that is considering how they went hat in hand to the F1 Commission earlier in the week to beg for engine upgrades. After bragging all of last year that their unreliability was due to engine power......
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

A whopping five excellent, all deserving choices for Reject of the Race after the Belgian GP. Get voting, you have 48 hours! :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Reject of the race: me. I have only just watched the race, and even then, it was C4 highlights, not the whole race. And I didn’t get round to doing my Predictament Predictions or vote in the poll on this thread. I need a break from my annual leave…
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l