What the Teams Should be Called

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

What the Teams Should be Called

Post by shinji »

Teams have changed hands many times over the years, but here's the entry list for 2009 if they never had. Gives it all a little more history IMO.

Bruce McLaren Motor Racing (no Vodafone Mercedes nonsense)
Scuderia Ferrari
Sauber
Toleman Group Motorsport (that's Renault, just saying)
Panasonic Toyota Racing (oh well, they weren't lazy and they didn't buy out another team I suppose...)
Minardi Team SpA
Stewart Grand Prix
Frank Williams Racing Cars (pre Wolf and Iso Marlboro stuff)
Jordan Grand Prix
Tyrrell Racing Organisation (what prompted me to do this - from Tyrrell to BAR to Honda and now Brawn)

Anyway, just a little thing I did.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Re: What the Teams Should be Called

Post by WeirdKerr »

hehe yeah going on that list minardi won a race last year...... and china was stewarts 2nd win...... great to see tyrrell winning races again eh.... (according to an article in F1racing(uk edition)ross brawn says he nearly called the team tyrrell)

Toyota should go under the name Toyota Team Europe(as thats what the rally team used to be called before they switched to F1)
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

In 1980, McLaren sort of merged with the Project 4 of Ron Dennis. That's why the cars are named MP4. So it's rather McLaren Project 4 than Bruce now. BMW Sauber actually went down a decent route in picking their name. As far as "Team Briatore" is concerned, they should have been Toleman-ProDrive back when Dave Richards took over, whereas Benetton was always the name of the team when Briatore joined them. But I guess it's pointless to name it that when the company doesn't pay up. Title sponsors are a sign of the times. That's why the proposed entry of the Formula One Rejects Racing Team for the cost-cut 2010 championship is reportedly called "Alan Shoe Spammer F1 Rejects Racing". Toyota came from rallying, and indeed, they started from scratch with their works effort. Kudos to them. Yes, Franz Tost is the current team boss of Minardi, and they are racing Stewart Grand Prix cars, not Jaguar cars by any means. It's just that Stewart Grand Prix used green Beck's beer bottles for a while instead of cars. Williams Grand Prix Engineering is the 2nd team of Frank Williams, started in the late 70s and has nothing to do with Frank's first operation, which as you said, turned into Iso and Wolf, so they should keep their name. They are not the same team. Jordan Grand Prix for sure! Etihad Aldar Spyker never rolled off the tongue anyway. As for British American Racing, well, they bought the Tyrrell entry and then let that team go to the dustbin. I don't think there was anything left of Tyrrell when Craig Pollock was at the helm. They basically started from scratch again. So I don't think this team should be called Tyrrell. But they were never really Honda, always BAR. And at the time, they seem to have successfully shaken off the spirit of BAR, so calling them Brawn is entirely justified.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

Yannick wrote:That's why the proposed entry of the Formula One Rejects Racing Team for the cost-cut 2010 championship is reportedly called "Alan Shoe Spammer F1 Rejects Racing".

+1!

BTW, since F1rejects have given more coverage to Paolo Barilla than Miradi exposure to TV in that years... since 2002 maybe. At least, a rear wing should have been sponsored by that pasta Company his father owned... Ok, ok, moderator, I´m bak to topic.
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

shinji wrote:Tyrrell Racing Organisation (what prompted me to do this - from Tyrrell to BAR to Honda and now Brawn)

So Ross Brawn, who owns Brawn GP, should re-name the team after a man who passed away eight years ago and for whom he never worked or was even associated with simply because the team used to be Tyrrell and despite having gone through two other incarnations? If anything, it should be re-named March because Tyrrell fielded the two March entries in 1970 that took the first one-two in qualifying on debut and Brawn used to work for March Engineering as a milling machine operator.

The grid is fine the way it is.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Just imagine if Ross Brawn were to bring back the Tyrrell livery? That fantastic blue that Tyrrell ran in the height of its power in the early 70s, only modernized to include the flourescent yellow Brawn GP uses...

I'd imagine it would look like this, please excuse the somewhat poor (rejectful?) Photoshopping effort.

Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Cynon wrote:Just imagine if Ross Brawn were to bring back the Tyrrell livery? That fantastic blue that Tyrrell ran in the height of its power in the early 70s, only modernized to include the flourescent yellow Brawn GP uses...

I'd imagine it would look like this, please excuse the somewhat poor (rejectful?) Photoshopping effort.

Looks like a 555-sponsored BAR/Honda. :?
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Yannick wrote:In 1980, McLaren sort of merged with the Project 4 of Ron Dennis. That's why the cars are named MP4. So it's rather McLaren Project 4 than Bruce now.

Didn't the M originally stand for Marlboro, as in McLaren Marlboro Project-1 (McLaren MP4/1)?
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

midgrid wrote:
Yannick wrote:In 1980, McLaren sort of merged with the Project 4 of Ron Dennis. That's why the cars are named MP4. So it's rather McLaren Project 4 than Bruce now.

Didn't the M originally stand for Marlboro, as in McLaren Marlboro Project-1 (McLaren MP4/1)?

Yep, the teams official name was "Team McLaren/Marlboro Project-4" I think
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Captain Hammer wrote:
shinji wrote:Tyrrell Racing Organisation (what prompted me to do this - from Tyrrell to BAR to Honda and now Brawn)

So Ross Brawn, who owns Brawn GP, should re-name the team after a man who passed away eight years ago and for whom he never worked or was even associated with simply because the team used to be Tyrrell and despite having gone through two other incarnations? If anything, it should be re-named March because Tyrrell fielded the two March entries in 1970 that took the first one-two in qualifying on debut and Brawn used to work for March Engineering as a milling machine operator.

The grid is fine the way it is.

Brawn actually considered using the Tyrrell name - it's talked about in an interview in F1 Racing this month. I think it would've been a good thing...
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Cynon wrote:Just imagine if Ross Brawn were to bring back the Tyrrell livery? That fantastic blue that Tyrrell ran in the height of its power in the early 70s, only modernized to include the flourescent yellow Brawn GP uses...

You need to go a shade darker with the blue - that's sort of royal blue and Tyrrell colours were navy blue!
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

The thinking there was that Ferrari went from scarlet to red, so I figured... navy blue.... to a brighter more vivid blue...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Cynon wrote:The thinking there was that Ferrari went from scarlet to red, so I figured... navy blue.... to a brighter more vivid blue...

Good excuse ;)

In regards to the opening post:

In fact, BMW were in F1 as a constructor before taking over Sauber (I think it was in 1952 or 1953 or thereabouts), where they had a couple of privateers running their cars, but I think they also had a works team. So they should be called Bayerische Motoren Werke AG. And Renault were actually in F1 before Toleman, Renault entered F1 originally in 1977, so they should be Équipe Renault (could've been Équipe Renault Elf, if Total hadn't taken over Elf this year, which is the reason why the blue on the Renault cars was replaced by red).
And also, Brawn are technically a new team, so in that sense they should be Brawn Grand Prix, but I understand why that would be dumb, but BAR were definitely not Tyrrell, so they could at most be British American Racing.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS