Logan Sargeant
19%
Sergio Perez
81%

Total votes: 16

TomPryce

Japanese GP ROTR 2023

Post by TomPryce »

1) Perez - this just feels like a complete capitulation and a waste.

2) Sergeant - ... sigh
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
sswishbone

Re: Japanese GP ROTR 2023

Post by sswishbone »

1) Perez - Absolutely pathetic, could Red Bull do what Mclaren did with Riccardo, and bench him for Lawson?

2) Sergeant - looked hopeless and out of his depth

HM - David Croft for twice trying to say Red Bull had won their sixth consecutive title

HM2) that kiss trophy gimmick, needless and valueless
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Sergio Pérez: Ridiculous showing – unimpressive qualifying (though this is nothing new), two crashes, overtaking under the virtual safety car... :facepalm: To think he gets to drive the best car for another year while Lawson is probably on the sidelines... :x
Batty

Post by Batty »

Hands down Checo

- SC infringement - Passes a driver in SC conditions to get into the pits and then passes more out of the pits. Gets a penalty
- Goes off for a split second
- Hits Magnussen
- Retires from the race
- Has to go and do a lap just to avoid getting a penalty for Qatar
- His teammate wins the race and his team wins WCC despite him scoring 0 points
- Also Lewis is only 33 points behind him in the WDC.

S/O Logan for his mistake in qualifying, the team having to rebuild the car (possible sanctions), gets a 10 sec DTP for that, hits Bottas, gets penalty, retires from the race.

Checo is more egregious cause the SC issue.
IceG

Post by IceG »

(1) Perez - for that bumper car pass on top of everything else

(2) Sargeant - at this rate De Vries will outscore him
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1) Perez - God even Bottas/ Rubens were never this bloody bad. Maybe retirement might not be such a bad thing after all.

2) Sergeant - Out of his depth and the team look totally fed up now. Testing beckons....
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

It’s gotta be Perez I’m afraid, he’s had a good 3 years of boosting up his win and podium stats but it’s time to get someone else, Merc, Ferrari and McLaren will all get stronger and I can’t see him making the end of 2024 if if that’s the case

Sargeant: His form has now got to the point where I’ve seen some people actually wondering if Latifi was all that bad, says it all

HM: Merc team orders: why did they not repeat Sainz’s trick from Singapore? 5th and 6th was as good as it was gonna get and it would have meant both they and Ferrari would score 18 points apiece keeping the gap at 24. But no they need to keep Lord Hamilton happy and as such Ferrari are now 20 behind.
mario

Post by mario »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 07:38 It’s gotta be Perez I’m afraid, he’s had a good 3 years of boosting up his win and podium stats but it’s time to get someone else, Merc, Ferrari and McLaren will all get stronger and I can’t see him making the end of 2024 if if that’s the case

Sargeant: His form has now got to the point where I’ve seen some people actually wondering if Latifi was all that bad, says it all

HM: Merc team orders: why did they not repeat Sainz’s trick from Singapore? 5th and 6th was as good as it was gonna get and it would have meant both they and Ferrari would score 18 points apiece keeping the gap at 24. But no they need to keep Lord Hamilton happy and as such Ferrari are now 20 behind.
The reason given is that it basically wasn't effective enough to hold back Sainz, given both Mercedes cars didn't gain a lot when they used DRS and Suzuka in a circuit where it is easier to overtake than the last race in Singapore. Sainz did nearly make a pass using DRS even with Hamilton also having DRS - that was when the team decided that Russell was too slow and was more likely to just back both drivers into passing range of Sainz.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Sergio Perez. While Verstappen drove to another flawless victory, Perez had a nightmare weekend.

-Qualified seven tenths and four places behind Max
-Got caught up in a start collision
-Overtook cars behind the safety car
-Only a few laps into his recovery drive hit Magnussen
-Damaged his car further
-retired from the race
-went back out to serve his penalty
-retired from the race again

Meanwhile, AlphaTauri has three drivers for two seats.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I think Checo has got to cop this one I'm afraid - completely embarrassed. Going back out to serve a penalty (which TBH I don't think should be allowed, the penalty should have to be served in a meaningful situation IMO) was the humiliating icing on the cake!

DHM - Logan Sergeant Smash
DHM - Aston Martin - they're about to get gobbled up by McLaren in the constructors, and Stroll not striking when the iron was hot earlier in the year is going to cost them
DHM - Mercedes in-fighting, not helping themselves against Ferrari in the fight for best of the rest
DHM - the fact that the championship will most likely be decided in a sprint, which sounds a bit of a farce!!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

The current Points System:

Thanks to the inclusion of Sprint races (I know there wasn't one in Suzuka) and the points system used for them, Sergio Perez is still mathematically in contention for the title but if in the more-than-likelihood of Max Verstappen finishing 6th or higher in the Sprint race in Qatar, it's all over! How does it reflect on F1 as a whole when we end up in a situation where the title could be secured in what amounts to a qualifying session disguised as a race?

DHM to Perez for basically handing Max the title on a platter even if he still isn't quite out of it yet.
Last edited by Har1MAS1415 on 24 Sep 2023, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Perez is a The First Slam Dunk IMHO. DHM for Hamilton for almost forcing Russell off at Spoon.

That said, if Merc are back on form next year it'll be nice to see a spicy title fight like those halcyon days of 2014 and 2016.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
mario

Post by mario »

pi314159 wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 09:29 Sergio Perez. While Verstappen drove to another flawless victory, Perez had a nightmare weekend.

-Qualified seven tenths and four places behind Max
-Got caught up in a start collision
-Overtook cars behind the safety car
-Only a few laps into his recovery drive hit Magnussen
-Damaged his car further
-retired from the race
-went back out to serve his penalty
-retired from the race again

Meanwhile, AlphaTauri has three drivers for two seats.
Horner was somewhat sticking the boot in too - when he's saying that the best that came out of the weekend was that Perez was able to serve his time penalty here, rather than having a grid penalty for Qatar, for crashing into Magnussen, you know that it's been a disastrous weekend.

You could also talk about the rather messy team orders for Alpine too - they seem to have switched Ocon and Gasly round late in the race, only to then order Gasly to drop back behind Ocon in a move that seemed to really rile Gasly.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
RAK

Post by RAK »

Yeah, hard to look past Perez for his clumsy driving and the ignominy of having to go out again because the team's trying to dodge a penalty in the next race before retiring for good.

And Sargeant has been looking more and more like a hopeless pay driver.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Perez - Good lord was that the single worst performance of anyone all year? Maybe Scott Mclaughlin was right.....
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mario

Post by mario »

Just had something pop up about Sainz, as it seems he is throwing his team under the bus a bit.

In some of the post-race interviews, he's quoted as saying "they pitted with Charles to secure the position, and I was somewhat sacrificed". However, somebody has found the radio transmissions between Sainz and the pit wall, and it seems that Sainz was telling the team to leave him out after Hamilton pitted - which seems to suggest that he's blaming the team for a decision that he made himself.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Har1MAS1415 wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 09:43 The current Points System:

Thanks to the inclusion of Sprint races (I know there wasn't one in Suzuka) and the points system used for them, Sergio Perez is still mathematically in contention for the title but if in the more-than-likelihood of Max Verstappen finishing 6th or higher in the Sprint race in Qatar, it's all over! How does it reflect on F1 as a whole when we end up in a situation where the title could be secured in what amounts to a qualifying session disguised as a race?

DHM to Perez for basically handing Max the title on a platter even if he still isn't quite out of it yet.
I was asked by a colleague after Singapore whether Max could win the title at Suzuka. I spent five minutes trying to work out the number of remaining races, the addition of the fastest lap point, so multiplying the races by 26 instead of 25, then trying to work out how many sprints there would be and where they would be.

We now have a points system which is completely indecipherable to the common person. No brief glance can tell you how many points are up for grabs.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Logan Sargeant - Remember the few weeks where he was looking pretty good for a rookie and was steadily improving? What happened to him?

Sergio Pérez - That was quite possibly the shitest single drive I've seen in a very long time. Any time he was on screen, he was either crashing into someone, holding someone up (including while getting lapped!) or getting released on track to serve his penalties. In an atmosphere where the Red Bull stable's driver management is being discussed more intensely than it has been for about five years, this is the exact opposite of what one would like to see.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Rob Dylan wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 19:39
Har1MAS1415 wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 09:43 The current Points System:

I was asked by a colleague after Singapore whether Max could win the title at Suzuka. I spent five minutes trying to work out the number of remaining races, the addition of the fastest lap point, so multiplying the races by 26 instead of 25, then trying to work out how many sprints there would be and where they would be.

We now have a points system which is completely indecipherable to the common person. No brief glance can tell you how many points are up for grabs.
Pretty much justifies my stance on the current F1 Points System being rejectful then.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

God I do miss the time when the points gap simply needed to be number of race meetings left x10 or x25. You knew, it was easy to work out!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Forti
Location: The Pacific time zone, the most rejectful time zone of them all

Post by Forti »

To me, the FL points should be open to everybody who starts the race or no one at all. Opening it up to all 20 rewards the likes of Zhou for posting the FL and gives the lower teams something to fight for.

Sargeant and Perez for ROTR.
Aislabie wrote: Oh that's another thing, if you hang around with us it will completely reshape your perception of Mario as a character.
It would be funny if FortiWinks returned from his absence only to find out that I'm the Forti in town now.
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

GT_Forti1 wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 06:52 To me, the FL points should be open to everybody who starts the race or no one at all. Opening it up to all 20 rewards the likes of Zhou for posting the FL and gives the lower teams something to fight for.

Sargeant and Perez for ROTR.
Like it was in the 1950s, without which, Alberto Ascari would have gone from 2 straight titles to zilch in 1954.
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

GT_Forti1 wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 06:52 To me, the FL points should be open to everybody who starts the race or no one at all. Opening it up to all 20 rewards the likes of Zhou for posting the FL and gives the lower teams something to fight for.
I agree. I wonder what the justification is for limiting it to the top 10?
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 13:16 I wonder what the justification is for limiting it to the top 10?
Its to stop teams from doing what RBR did with Perez this past weekend, but get FL instead of serving a penalty. Checo had a purple sector time for awhile during his out-in-out return.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
IceG

Post by IceG »

Wallio wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 19:42
Row Man Gross-Gene wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 13:16 I wonder what the justification is for limiting it to the top 10?
Its to stop teams from doing what RBR did with Perez this past weekend, but get FL instead of serving a penalty. Checo had a purple sector time for awhile during his out-in-out return.
But he could have got the fastest lap and denied Verstappen. Obviously that was not going to happen but suppose the FL was held by a driver from another team who was challenging a team-mate. A point denied is a point scored.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Antonio Giovinazzi or Kevin Magnussen getting a fastest lap point is bad for franchise value, so they are discouraged from doing it by being denied plebian FL points. Only the patricians in the top 3 teams are allowed to set fastest laps, so that when the sponsor-ridden advert comes up to announce who got the fastest lap, it's a recognisable face and not some nobody like Logan Sargeant.

Horrible cynicism aside, I would have thought the 2016 Battersea ePrix would have been justified enough to discourage allowing people gunning for fastest lap points from 12 laps down! Although I do maintain that the Buemi/di Grassi competition was very, very funny, and that, as IceG said, a point denied is a point scored.

Then we get the absurd cases, which are really bad for the franchise value, when the Hasemis and Mazepins of this world score fastest laps and then just have them outright deleted as if Josef Stalin was in charge of race control.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Two solid and runaway options for this award from Suzuka. You have 48 hours to get voting, so get doing so! :dance:
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l