29%
Nobody
29%

Total votes: 14

Londoner

Reject of the Race - USA 2023

Post by Londoner »

Post your choices for ROTR!
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
RAK

Re: Reject of the Race - USA 2023

Post by RAK »

1) Daniel Ricciardo: Pinned to the back while his teammate scored a point.

2) Charles Leclerc: I'm not going to fault him for failing to pick up yet another win from a pole position when Verstappen has proven the Red Bull's race pace, but falling behind his teammate into the middle of the points-scoring positions is a bit ignominous.

Dishonourable Mentions: Haas, Alfa Romeo
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Leclerc / Leclerc's strategist: Not sure who's fault it was, but that was miserable.
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

One Stop Strategies - This is pretty much a catch all for Ferrari's straight 1-stop strategy that just didn't work combined with Ricciardo and Lewis staying out too long and losing a ton of time, almost as if they wanted to try a 1-stop but couldn't make the tyres last.

Leclerc - :leclerc: (EDIT: being disqualified is just the icing on the cake really)
Last edited by Ducktanian on 23 Oct 2023, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1. Anyone who tried a 1 stop. Yeah that didn't work did it. Just slow and the idea probably robbed HRH of a win

2. The Sprint. God that was just painful to watch. At least the actual race was so much better.

Hm Daniel Ricciardo. Cannot believe he might actually replace Perez next season. Really doesn't deserve it.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

rachel1990 wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 20:55

Hm Daniel Ricciardo. Cannot believe he might actually replace Perez next season. Really doesn't deserve it.
Lawson has been the best driver in that Alpha Tauri this year. No prior F1 racing experience, and was a mid-season replacement (usually a major disadvantage) yet is the only one of the three in that particular car to have scored any points at all. And he had done the fewest races of the lot...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
IceG

Post by IceG »

(1) Checo whining on and trying to get Russell penalised

(2) The Aston Martin upgrade package - what has really happened there?
dj_vicious

Post by dj_vicious »

Is it possible that we had a relatively eventful race but no reject? Feel free to send the flaming papayas if I'm out of line here, but I didn't see any truly rejectful performances today. I agree with all the above nominations, but I can't think of any of my own, and I don't feel strongly enough to piggyback of all of yours. Perhaps Leclerc's one stop strategy was the most rejectctful thing of the race, but even still it is just a gamble that didn't pay off.

So, if the rules allow, I nominate NO ONE for ROTR this time around.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

To be fair to Danny Ric, there is video of the Alpha Tauri crew removing chunks of Stroll's car post contact during a pit stop.

I would nominate Stroll if he actually did go to the grid despite having a pit lane start (how does one forget something like that?) Or Aston Martin in general. Like Lando said, it seems every upgrade has made them worse.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Batty

Post by Batty »

Lewis and Charles and their teams - Disqualification for the plank.

This means that Lewis loses a lot of ground to Checo for P2 and now Charles has been passed by Norris in the standings and is only 8 points behind Russell.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

I will nominate those booing fans during the podium ceremony.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

1) Stewards - really poor consistency on infringements for track limits all weekend. Potentially green lighted a "take whatever line you want at turn one approach." Does no one remember Alonso's deliberate off-track at Sochi?

2) Martin Brundle - for doubling down on his pathetic comments about driver complaints at Qatar
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dj_vicious wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 23:53 Is it possible that we had a relatively eventful race but no reject? Feel free to send the flaming papayas if I'm out of line here, but I didn't see any truly rejectful performances today. I agree with all the above nominations, but I can't think of any of my own, and I don't feel strongly enough to piggyback of all of yours. Perhaps Leclerc's one stop strategy was the most rejectctful thing of the race, but even still it is just a gamble that didn't pay off.

So, if the rules allow, I nominate NO ONE for ROTR this time around.
I was thinking this until the double DSQs for plank wear.

And the podium booing was uncalled for.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

Has to be Lewis and Charles for getting DSQed due to blank wear.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Plank wear: Also got Leclerc disqualified, but Hamilton's case is particularly frustrating. One of the closest challenges Verstappen has had this year (even if it was after screwing up qualifying and having car problems), only for the car to turn out illegal. At least Max managed to stay ahead on track, another round of VERSTAPPENWINSLOL due to disqualifications of all things would have been especially awful in this season.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

For once ROTR is actually tougher to pick than IIDOTR

1: The Sprint race: This format only looks half decent when it’s either raining or it’s a short track like Austria or Brazil. Whose idea was it to pick a track like Austin for a Sprint race? It was dull, tedious and a perfect reminder that it’s a complete waste of time. Not to mention it took all jeopardy out of Sunday predictions because we knew which cars were fastest. Either make the Sprint a reverse grid or just bin it altogether

2: Aston Martin upgrades: Each one seems to make Aston go slower resulting in the nadir that was both cars getting knocked out in Q1 this weekend. Alonso could genuinely fade to 6th or 7th in the championship and that seems unthinkable given he looked nailed on for 3rd at the start of the year.

HM: Mercedes and Ferrari: Questionable strategy choices ended up being the least of their problems. At least Mercedes ditched the one stopper but Ferrari being Ferrari chose to keep Leclerc on it. And then of course both teams lose a car to disqualification afterwards.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

The two planks but it also begs the question of how many others may have been illegal too but weren't checked?

HM to anyone nominating the two drivers - it was out of their control even if they may have profited from performance.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
mario

Post by mario »

James1978 wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 16:39 The two planks but it also begs the question of how many others may have been illegal too but weren't checked?

HM to anyone nominating the two drivers - it was out of their control even if they may have profited from performance.
According to the FIA's records "A physical floor and a plank wear inspection was carried out on car numbers 01, 16, 44 and 04" - i.e. only Norris, Verstappen, Leclerc and Hamilton had their cars inspected for floor wear.

Because the FIA never checked the floor of the other cars, it therefore means that we don't actually know whether any of the thirteen other cars that finished had a legal floor or not.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

A couple of sparsely chosen candidates for this award - I tried to go with the general feeling that I got from the responses, and went with that. You all have 48 hours to get voting for your Reject of the Race candidate :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l