Brawn GP Documentary

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Brawn GP Documentary

Post by Wallio »

While I know I'm pretty late to the party, I took this break between the launches and testing to watch the Brawn GP doc that is on Disney+ (there are only so many "enhanced" photos of sidepods you can look at). A few thoughts:

- Like most things he's involved with, it's very good in spite of Keanu, rather than because of him. (Although the f-bomb-riddled impression of an angry Adrian Newey made me laugh).

- It's far longer than I expected (4 1/2 hours)

- The dramatic re-enactment segments start off as clever, then get very old, very fast.

- They explain that the double diffuser loophole was discovered by a Honda aero guy who, knowing English as a second language, learned the definition of words differently, so he read the regs differently........but then they never explain how he read it! Horner does mention the case "centered around arguing what the literal definition of a hole was" but that is as close as we get.

- Rubens comes off as extremely whiney. Ross has said in other places that he just could not accept that he was slower than Jenson, and it really shows here.

- Bernie is a cheeky bastard and openly says Jenson got better equipment.

- The first two parts are really FOTA/GPMA Breakaway series heavy. I don't know, maybe it's my usual cynicness, but they make it out to be a WAY bigger thing than it was. I don't remember anyone seriously believing it would ever happen.

- They overall downplay the double diffuser, with Ross claiming that the BG001's front wing and sidepods were a major part of the package too, and both Ross and Keanu repeatedly stating that both Williams and Toyota had double diffusers and never won.......but then they never explain the cars wing or sidepod (despite doing a very good and very in-depth explanation of the diffuser), and they ignore that while Toyota never won...they did have several podiums, usually behind Brawn, and that once Red Bull go their diffuser working, they were quickest by far.

I still have one part to go, but overall I enjoyed it, but I do think the Andrea Moda doc was better. But then again, I guess everyone on this site would say that.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
temporary

Re: Brawn GP Documentary

Post by temporary »

Wallio wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 16:05 .

He was notably the only person to say this. I don't think even whiny Rubens outright claimed this.
Wallio wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 16:05

- The first two parts are really FOTA/GPMA Breakaway series heavy. I don't know, maybe it's my usual cynicness, but they make it out to be a WAY bigger thing than it was. I don't remember anyone seriously believing it would ever happen.

A.k.a. Formula Elaborate Bluff.
Wallio wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 16:05
I still have one part to go, but overall I enjoyed it, but I do think the Andrea Moda doc was better. But then again, I guess everyone on this site would say that.
I must get round to that at some point...
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Brawn GP Documentary

Post by Klon »

temporary wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 17:58
Wallio wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 16:05 .

He was notably the only person to say this. I don't think even whiny Rubens outright claimed this.
Though the proof is in the pudding on that one. if only one car has repeated issues with the starter, it stands to reason who got the better material.