2024 discussion thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Row Man Gross-Gene

Re: 2024 discussion thread

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

dr-baker wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 19:22
dr-baker wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 05:48 If it were the start of the month, I would have taken this as an April Fool story. Bit it seems like Ferrari will not be racing in its iconic red livery in Miami, but rather in blue as a one-off to hark back to the blue and white livery of the North American Racing Team.
Seems like Ferrari have sold out to HP for at least this one race at Miami...
Hopefully they're getting their money's worth out of it. And I hope the car looks cool.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cmm3v9ny78eo

If true, I did speculate a while back he could go Ferrari...
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

And Lawrence Stroll opens his cheque book (or Swiss bank account, crypto wallet, whatever they're all using these days), and...

...Adrian Newey decides to retire instead. Because he could, couldn't he? What more does he have to prove? The only reason he won't stop is because he can't stop.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Retirement would be good for him, I agree. Though, he's always liked bring champion. A run with Audi could also entice him when you think about it.
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
mario

Post by mario »

sswishbone wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 15:33 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cmm3v9ny78eo

If true, I did speculate a while back he could go Ferrari...
Well, we will wait and see what happens, but I agree that Ferrari does seem plausible - it has the resources to support Newey's ambitions, some of Newey's close friends have moved to Ferrari and, if the rumours are true, they've been courting him for a while now.

Added to that, Newey did give an interview reasonably recently where he said that there were three things he still wanted to do - work for Ferrari, work with Hamilton and work with Alonso. With Hamilton moving to Ferrari, it would mean that Newey could achieve two of those ambitions in a single stroke.
dinizintheoven wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 16:19 And Lawrence Stroll opens his cheque book (or Swiss bank account, crypto wallet, whatever they're all using these days), and...

...Adrian Newey decides to retire instead. Because he could, couldn't he? What more does he have to prove? The only reason he won't stop is because he can't stop.
That is true, but at the same time, Newey doesn't seem to have shown any interest in stepping back just yet. It also has to be said that the same thing could be said of Rory Byrne, and yet, even though he turned 80 this year, he still works as a design consultant for Ferrari.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Row Man Gross-Gene

Newey's probably been rich enough to retire for at least 20 years. And maybe he views his last few championships as a peak that can't be bettered. But he does kind of seem like the kind of person who's going to work practically until he's dead. He can name his price and work as many days as he wants. I could totally see him going somewhere new (though maybe it won't be F1).

What I am now curious about is why there is the disconnect between what RB says Horner didn't do and Newey leaving over it. Unlike Marko and Horner, Newey doesn't seem overly interested in power politics...so maybe the process wasn't done properly (at least as far as Newey is concerned).
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
mario

Post by mario »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 18:33 Newey's probably been rich enough to retire for at least 20 years. And maybe he views his last few championships as a peak that can't be bettered. But he does kind of seem like the kind of person who's going to work practically until he's dead. He can name his price and work as many days as he wants. I could totally see him going somewhere new (though maybe it won't be F1).

What I am now curious about is why there is the disconnect between what RB says Horner didn't do and Newey leaving over it. Unlike Marko and Horner, Newey doesn't seem overly interested in power politics...so maybe the process wasn't done properly (at least as far as Newey is concerned).
There is speculation that part of the reason why Newey may want to leave is because he wants to get away from that political infighting, and particularly the politics that surrounded the way that Red Bull dealt with the Horner case. There does seem to be some speculation that Newey may also have some deeper seated unease about the way the case was handled, although what exactly is causing that has been left unexplained.

The Race has also suggested that another possible reason, which is Horner's decision to promote Pierre Wache to Technical Director and push him into a more public facing role. That seems to have resulted in Newey being slightly sidelined and constrained in what he can do, somewhat to his frustration as a result.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Row Man Gross-Gene

mario wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 20:52
Row Man Gross-Gene wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 18:33 Newey's probably been rich enough to retire for at least 20 years. And maybe he views his last few championships as a peak that can't be bettered. But he does kind of seem like the kind of person who's going to work practically until he's dead. He can name his price and work as many days as he wants. I could totally see him going somewhere new (though maybe it won't be F1).

There is speculation that part of the reason why Newey may want to leave is because he wants to get away from that political infighting, and particularly the politics that surrounded the way that Red Bull dealt with the Horner case. There does seem to be some speculation that Newey may also have some deeper seated unease about the way the case was handled, although what exactly is causing that has been left unexplained.

The Race has also suggested that another possible reason, which is Horner's decision to promote Pierre Wache to Technical Director and push him into a more public facing role. That seems to have resulted in Newey being slightly sidelined and constrained in what he can do, somewhat to his frustration as a result.
Ok, so it may not be that he thinks Horner is guilty so much as he just doesn't like the level of politicking (which has gone up since Mateschitz passed away). Or even Red Bull needing a full-time person in his role, promoting Wache, and Newey feeling pushed out. Makes sense, I can totally see that.

-Jamie McGregor

mario

Post by mario »

Well, whilst we have Newey reportedly looking to move on, we have now had news of another figure definitely moving teams next year - Sauber have confirmed that Hulkenberg is moving to them for 2025. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cjew54g41ego
Row Man Gross-Gene

I feel like that's a pretty plum drive for Nico. Maybe if they get the car right, he has a chance of getting that podium, probably around 2027. The article said they want Sainz, I wonder if they'll be on enough of an upward trajectory to lure him in?

-Jamie McGregor

mario

Post by mario »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 13:11 I feel like that's a pretty plum drive for Nico. Maybe if they get the car right, he has a chance of getting that podium, probably around 2027. The article said they want Sainz, I wonder if they'll be on enough of an upward trajectory to lure him in?
I guess it depends quite how quickly the team manages to improve on their aerodynamic development once Audi completes their takeover, as it sounds like some investment is required in their facilities and their development team. Still, compared to Haas, you would expect them to show a distinctly upwards trajectory - but how quickly they can improve is yet to be seen.

In Sainz's case, I do wonder if he is perhaps in a position where he can afford to wait - his recent performances relative to Leclerc seem to be boosting his reputation, which means he might well be being courted by a few teams.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Good on The Hulk for that move. I do think he's a bit wasted in that Haas. Just shows you can still impress driving for a relatively poor team!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Post by MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx »

Some people are looking for the meaning of life.Me,I'll be satisfied with a cute girl who can tell her Andrea Moda from her AGS...
Jarvis

Post by Jarvis »

I wonder how hard he is going to celebrate once he wins his first-ever f1 race that doesn't look too far away.
My F1 Favorites: Fav Track | Fav Driver | Fav App
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cv2rd53gnr6o

So my dumb theory may actually come to pass. I'm intrigued by what Eddie Jordan used to lever this deal through

IceG

Post by IceG »

Newey leaving Red Bull, ostensibly because of Horner's alleged shenanigans, is surely a significant issue for the team's owners?

Before Horner's blown diffuser (as it were) became a matter of public record, the team was unbeatable, was odds-on for the championship this year and next, a good head start in the new regs for 2026 led by the master of the rules' boundaries, had a great marketable asset in Verstappen, and had a stable management team.

Now Verstappen may be looking for a way out, probably taking Marko with him, the 2025 team will only have a cursory input from Newey and the 2026 car none, the asset that is Newey may be working for a rival, and the team is fractured. That all must undermine the team's market value and potential for future gowth and success. And it may polute the broader Red Bull brand values.

Perhaps the Thai owners should have fired Horner to obviate this?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 20:56
dr-baker wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 05:48 If it were the start of the month, I would have taken this as an April Fool story. Bit it seems like Ferrari will not be racing in its iconic red livery in Miami, but rather in blue as a one-off to hark back to the blue and white livery of the North American Racing Team.
Hopefully they're getting their money's worth out of it. And I hope the car looks cool.
When Ferrari said that their cars were going to be blue for a race, I was disappointed because they have been predominantly red at every single race for over 40 years, possibly even over 50 years.

Then when they revealed their special livery, I was disappointed again, as the car was still predominantly red with just hints of blue.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

IceG wrote: 01 May 2024, 15:07 Newey leaving Red Bull, ostensibly because of Horner's alleged shenanigans, is surely a significant issue for the team's owners?

Before Horner's blown diffuser (as it were) became a matter of public record, the team was unbeatable, was odds-on for the championship this year and next, a good head start in the new regs for 2026 led by the master of the rules' boundaries, had a great marketable asset in Verstappen, and had a stable management team.

Now Verstappen may be looking for a way out, probably taking Marko with him, the 2025 team will only have a cursory input from Newey and the 2026 car none, the asset that is Newey may be working for a rival, and the team is fractured. That all must undermine the team's market value and potential for future gowth and success. And it may polute the broader Red Bull brand values.

Perhaps the Thai owners should have fired Horner to obviate this?
I suspect that there might have been some problems with that approach as well though.

There has been talk that Horner was a popular figure within the team, and does still seem to have a level of popular support within the team, given the length of time he has worked for the team and the sense that he managed to turn a struggling outfit into a successful and influential team within the sport. If there was the impression that Horner was forced out without due process being carried out, I could see that also creating a backlash against the team and causing ructions within their management team - especially if some of those who have been closer to Horner started wondering if they would be targeted next.
Row Man Gross-Gene

dr-baker wrote: 01 May 2024, 16:36
Row Man Gross-Gene wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 20:56

When Ferrari said that their cars were going to be blue for a race, I was disappointed because they have been predominantly red at every single race for over 40 years, possibly even over 50 years.

Then when they revealed their special livery, I was disappointed again, as the car was still predominantly red with just hints of blue.

I just looked, (in case your work blocks twitter: https://www.ferrari.com/en-EN/formula1/ ... car-livery)

I'm disappointed too. No other word for it.

-Jamie McGregor

MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Post by MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx »

Meh. That's not a blue Ferrari. This is a blue Ferrari...

I'm much more taken by the RB Visa's livery for Miami which is... well...hologrammatic

And whilst we're at it, have a red Lotus 78...

Some people are looking for the meaning of life.Me,I'll be satisfied with a cute girl who can tell her Andrea Moda from her AGS...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote: 01 May 2024, 19:42 I'm disappointed too. No other word for it.
Not enough blue or any blue is too much?

Personally I'd go with not enough blue on it as much as the Ferrari purists would disagree. If you're going to announce blue cars then I want to see blue cars.
Just For One Day...
Row Man Gross-Gene

CoopsII wrote: 02 May 2024, 07:57
Row Man Gross-Gene wrote: 01 May 2024, 19:42 I'm disappointed too. No other word for it.
Not enough blue or any blue is too much?

Personally I'd go with not enough blue on it as much as the Ferrari purists would disagree. If you're going to announce blue cars then I want to see blue cars.
Exactly, not enough blue. Full blue and white or maybe just red wings, I don't know. Just do something interesting. That said, it's Ferrari.

-Jamie McGregor