Codemasters F1 2010

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Henrique

Codemasters F1 2010

Post by Henrique »

Gamespot wrote a preview of F1 2010. Apparently, the game will put you on the whole world of F1 and not just the racing part. For example, the game starts with a press conference where you'll choose your options. The length of your career determines the kind of team you'll start on.

It will also feature post race interviews and if you're the lead driver of your team, you'll get to tell the team where they should focus development and if they should stop working on your current car and start working on next year's chassis (Kubica will love this).

Here's the whole thing: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/f12010/news.html?sid=6262656&mode=previews&om_act=convert&om_clk=previews&tag=previews%3Btitle%3B3
thehemogoblin

Re: Codemasters F1 2010

Post by thehemogoblin »

The maximum career length is seven years? That sucks.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

thehemogoblin wrote:The maximum career length is seven years? That sucks.

I bet the cheat code to override that is 'PDLR" or "MSC" "Barricello" or something similar
"Grosjean has a great desire to turn around and look at the corner he's just gone through, too many times per lap or per session, he's always spinning that Renault"
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Strangely enough, I had an idea pop into my head about including press conferences in an F1 game a couple days ago...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Henrique wrote:It will also feature post race interviews and if you're the lead driver of your team, you'll get to tell the team where they should focus development and if they should stop working on your current car and start working on next year's chassis (Kubica will love this).

"Do both you stupid ******! Or I'm off to Ferrari..."

Been reading about it. Looks good (especially the bit where if you're high-profile, you might be interviewed impromptu before a race. In other words Martin Brundle sneaks up on you) and I think I'll be buying it. Haven't seen anything on to what extent teams will move up and down the grid, though. Can you, by the sheer reality altering power of your awesome driving and ability to tell people what to do, haul HRT to the front of the grid in 7 seasons? Or only halfway? Or only ahead of Virgin? I think the first option would be a little unrealistic, tbh.

I'd like to see them have staff changes and sponsorship changes, so you basically try and follow the $$$ or Adrian Newey from team to team.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Strangely enough, I had an idea pop into my head about including press conferences in an F1 game a couple days ago...

They're copying a lot from EA Sports. Their sports games usually include lots of off-field/track stuff,
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Henrique wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Strangely enough, I had an idea pop into my head about including press conferences in an F1 game a couple days ago...

They're copying a lot from EA Sports. Their sports games usually include lots of off-field/track stuff,

I'm definitely a fan of that. I really like the off-field side of sports. (Of course, none of you like baseball, so going into detail here is fruitless.)
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

thehemogoblin wrote:
Henrique wrote:

I'm definitely a fan of that. I really like the off-field side of sports. (Of course, none of you like baseball, so going into detail here is fruitless.)

Press A to dope
Press B to perpetually be a loser in your sport

MLB 2011, total team control :P

Couldn't resist
"Grosjean has a great desire to turn around and look at the corner he's just gone through, too many times per lap or per session, he's always spinning that Renault"
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

thehemogoblin wrote:The maximum career length is seven years? That sucks.

They've probably based it on the average career length in real life. And it's probably intended to give you an objective: to beat the world championship within seven years.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
coops

Post by coops »

Maybe I'm getting old (in fact there is no 'maybe') but when I buy an F1 game I just want to go race/overtake/crash/win. I dont want to spend a lifetime setting up the car, I dont want to attend press conferences, I dont want to be told after 7 seasons I have to stop etc.

It annoys me when they put a ropey looking podium scene on after a race finishes.

And relax...
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Back to Ridge Racer with you, Coops :P
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

coops wrote:Maybe I'm getting old (in fact there is no 'maybe') but when I buy an F1 game I just want to go race/overtake/crash/win. I dont want to spend a lifetime setting up the car, I dont want to attend press conferences, I dont want to be told after 7 seasons I have to stop etc.

It annoys me when they put a ropey looking podium scene on after a race finishes.

And relax...

I'm with you. So, it's TOCA 3 or RACE07 for me.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Forza 3 was my life for about 2 months.

Saying that, it'll be nice to have a new, decent F1 game on the XBOX. I also look forward to the chance to drive as Karun Chandhok, Kamui Kobayashi and Lucas di Grassi.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
coops

Post by coops »

Henrique wrote:Back to Ridge Racer with you, Coops :P

Aaaah, them were the days. In fact, I reckon I'll have a blast round Aida as Martin Brundle later on and leave the new fangled fancy stuff to you kids!
-Enzo Ferrari
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

A seven year career isn't too bad, it was only 5 years on F104, F105, F106 and F1CE.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

coops wrote:

Aaaah, them were the days. In fact, I reckon I'll have a blast round Aida as Martin Brundle later on and leave the new fangled fancy stuff to you kids!

Grand Prix 2, I'd say? You have class, if I may say so.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

redbulljack14 wrote:A seven year career isn't too bad, it was only 5 years on F104, F105, F106 and F1CE.

yeah! and you don't even get one on F1C :(
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
coops

Post by coops »

Klon wrote:
coops wrote:

I reckon I'll have a blast round Aida as Martin Brundle later on and leave the new fangled fancy stuff to you kids!

Grand Prix 2, I'd say? You have class, if I may say so.

The first F1 game for the PS1 in fact. And in some ways it was the best in that you could race as every driver that raced that year (1995) so, as you can imagine, theres some classic rejects available!
-Enzo Ferrari
Many Blue Flags

Post by Many Blue Flags »

Ooh, the possibilities of a Zero Punctuation on this...

Also Known As 'Mr Two-Seconds-Off-The-Pace'

YAFUGGA BLOODY GAFUGGOV is all I say to you.
RAK

Post by RAK »

Many Blue Flags wrote:Ooh, the possibilities of a Zero Punctuation on this...

<snip>

I don't think that Yahtzee even plays racing games with connections to real life. And if any member of this forum should know about the workings of The Escapist, it would probably be me; after all, I have had reviews published there.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

I really want to emulate my favourite (or not so favourite) drivers. So I hope there are options to:

Knock over children (Kimi)
Swear at cameramen (JPM)
Take your team-mate's chassis because you think it's better than yours (Prost)
Say "Michael who?" when asked about racing Schumacher (Tommy Byrne)
Swear on the grid so Martin Brundle won't talk to you anymore (Kimi)
Whinge to your team on the radio (Lewis)
Punch another driver (Senna)
Have a magnum during a red-flag period (Kimi)
Threaten to reveal that your team's been cheating (Alonso)
Crash deliberately to help your team mate and then squeal when you're fired (Piquet Jnr)
Push over a cameraman (Kimi)
Have your team design a car that only you can drive competitively (Schumacher)
Flounce off to WRC (Kimi)

Should actually just be a "behave like Kimi" button for every situation.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Enforcer wrote:Knock over children (Kimi)
Swear on the grid so Martin Brundle won't talk to you anymore (Kimi)
Have a magnum during a red-flag period (Kimi)
Push over a cameraman (Kimi)
Flounce off to WRC (Kimi)

Should actually just be a "behave like Kimi" button for every situation.

Man, I miss Kimi. :D
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
coops

Post by coops »

What about;

Park up halfway round the circuit during practice to sleep off a hangover? (Hunt)
-Enzo Ferrari
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

There should be an option to be Ferrari test driver for 10 years before you finally get a race drive.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
Many Blue Flags

Post by Many Blue Flags »

RAK wrote:
Many Blue Flags wrote:Ooh, the possibilities of a Zero Punctuation on this...

<snip>

I don't think that Yahtzee even plays racing games with connections to real life. And if any member of this forum should know about the workings of The Escapist, it would probably be me; after all, I have had reviews published there.

I know he wouldn't, and hasn't played any racer save Burnout for the Escapist. And what's your username there?
Also Known As 'Mr Two-Seconds-Off-The-Pace'

YAFUGGA BLOODY GAFUGGOV is all I say to you.
RAK

Post by RAK »

Many Blue Flags wrote:I know he wouldn't, and hasn't played any racer save Burnout for the Escapist. And what's your username there?

RAKtheUndead. If you frequent the forums, you'll see that I'm recognised as the crazy pedant with a taste for writing ridiculously long articles.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

What I want to know for that game is if their are dynamic driver changes at the end of the season, e.g Kubica moving to Ferrari or something? I don't like the idea of jumping from a Virgin to a Mclaren, thus replacing Lewis or Jensen and them not getting a drive anywhere else.
Message me on Discord.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Shadaza wrote:What I want to know for that game is if their are dynamic driver changes at the end of the season, e.g Kubica moving to Ferrari or something? I don't like the idea of jumping from a Virgin to a Mclaren, thus replacing Lewis or Jensen and them not getting a drive anywhere else.

Wow. I thought I was the only person in the world who cared about that :shock:
It would be a bit complicated, because they would have to make a "free agents market" in the game, among other things.
Matt Classic

Post by Matt Classic »

Henrique wrote:
Shadaza wrote:What I want to know for that game is if their are dynamic driver changes at the end of the season, e.g Kubica moving to Ferrari or something? I don't like the idea of jumping from a Virgin to a Mclaren, thus replacing Lewis or Jensen and them not getting a drive anywhere else.

Wow. I thought I was the only person in the world who cared about that :shock:
It would be a bit complicated, because they would have to make a "free agents market" in the game, among other things.

In Career Mode driver will not move teams so if you went from Virgin to McLaren then you would replace Jenson or Lewis and they would not then have a drive
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Matt Classic wrote:In Career Mode driver will not move teams so if you went from Virgin to McLaren then you would replace Jenson or Lewis and they would not then have a drive

And I very much imagine that's a licencing thing. I doubt very much that drivers would like it if you moved from Hispania to Ferrari and replaced Alonso, who then traded places with you. While car performance is no doubt modelled on the real thing, it's pretty clear that individual drivers have individual strengths. If all the top drivers landed in the bottom six cars, it would just be a mess of things with drivers acting completely out of character and teams getting results that they normally wouldn't.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Captain Hammer wrote:
Matt Classic wrote:In Career Mode driver will not move teams so if you went from Virgin to McLaren then you would replace Jenson or Lewis and they would not then have a drive

And I very much imagine that's a licencing thing. I doubt very much that drivers would like it if you moved from Hispania to Ferrari and replaced Alonso, who then traded places with you. While car performance is no doubt modelled on the real thing, it's pretty clear that individual drivers have individual strengths. If all the top drivers landed in the bottom six cars, it would just be a mess of things with drivers acting completely out of character and teams getting results that they normally wouldn't.

To summarize: If that happened, it would be AWESOME!!
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

It would be great to see but a pain to program. You would need car designs with every helmet on them, not just the one. I would really like to see it, but apart from a simple swap, it would be hard to put in.
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Captain Hammer wrote:In Career Mode driver will not move teams so if you went from Virgin to McLaren then you would replace Jenson or Lewis and they would not then have a drive

And I very much imagine that's a licencing thing. I doubt very much that drivers would like it if you moved from Hispania to Ferrari and replaced Alonso, who then traded places with you. While car performance is no doubt modelled on the real thing, it's pretty clear that individual drivers have individual strengths. If all the top drivers landed in the bottom six cars, it would just be a mess of things with drivers acting completely out of character and teams getting results that they normally wouldn't.[/quote]

This got me thinking. Why not simply use test driver's to simulate a driver's market. For example:

Year 1: Start with Toro Rosso (just an example, start is more likely with the three new teams), replacing Sébastien Buemi
Year 2: After good season switch to McLaren, replacing Jenson Button - STR cockpit goes NOT back to Buemi (now that would be quite unrealistic), but to Brandon Hartley
Year 3: Falling out with Lewis Hamilton, therefore forced to leave and you go to Force India, taking Vitantonio Liuzzi's spot, whereas Gary Paffett becomes new McLaren driver

Meanwhile, some other teams might change as well, e.g.

Year 2: Lotus: Heikki Kovalainen <-> Fairuz Fauzy
Year 3: Ferrari: Fernando Alonso <-> Luca Badoer (wishful thinking rocks!)

And, come on, Test and Reserve Driver's just have to be included in Codemasters' contract, otherwise they have been completely ripped off in terms of licensing
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Collieafc wrote:It would be great to see but a pain to program. You would need car designs with every helmet on them, not just the one. I would really like to see it, but apart from a simple swap, it would be hard to put in.

You would need a helmet that follows a driver, that shouldn't be to hard, and like GP3 had, a performance-file for engine, and one for driver. swap two drivers, it will sum up the new value, and then make out the speed. Not to hard.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Yep! I definitely think they should include test drivers and also the option to be a test driver. I have been thinking about designing a fun AND realistic F1 career game for ages.

Here, I'll show you something:

This was from an attempt called "F1 Adventure". (Because I like them old-fashioned 1990's SNES adventury-thingies. :3)
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS