Dave Walker profile now online!

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Dave Walker profile now online!

Post by eytl »

Ladies and gentlemen,

The day you thought would never come has arrived! A new driver profile has been uploaded to the site! As previously revealed, we have painstakingly documented the story of Dave Walker, in celebration of Lotus' return to F1 in 2010.

You can click to the profile from the main page or the driver index page of the site, or simply click on this link:

http://www.f1rejects.com/drivers/walkerd/index.html

Happy reading - and hope you enjoy the story!

Cheers,
Enoch
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Dave Walker profile now online!

Post by shinji »

Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm reading it right now!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

shinji wrote:HUZZAH!

Bingo! Someone buy this guy a Guinness!
I like the way Snrub thinks!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

redbulljack14 wrote:
shinji wrote:HUZZAH!

Bingo! Someone buy this guy a Guinness!

I think that calls for a HUZZAH!
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Very interesting review and quite well written too! After doing some calculations, its been 576 days since the last driver profile before Dave Walker. 576 days too many I think.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

tristan1117 wrote:Very interesting review and quite well written too! After doing some calculations, its been 576 days since the last driver profile before Dave Walker. 576 days too many I think.

Maybe a team profile could be next. AGS? Osella? Zakspeed?
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

redbulljack14 wrote:
tristan1117 wrote:Very interesting review and quite well written too! After doing some calculations, its been 576 days since the last driver profile before Dave Walker. 576 days too many I think.

Maybe a team profile could be next. AGS? Osella? Zakspeed?

a rejects website without an osella profile is like... well like a rejects website without a tarquini profile!
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

The Osella profile is LOOOOONG overdue. I mean, they are the VERY DEFINITION of reject as far as Formula One goes.

And it can't be THAT much work, after all they got a lot of the story already written down, in the Ghinzani-profile.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

A great story and very well written!
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

DonTirri wrote:The Osella profile is LOOOOONG overdue. I mean, they are the VERY DEFINITION of reject as far as Formula One goes.

And it can't be THAT much work, after all they got a lot of the story already written down, in the Ghinzani-profile.

Time is the big enemy, as usual. You'd be surprised how much work is involved. The Walker profile, which I researched, wrote and uploaded all on my own, was already comparatively easy to research as there were a few key go-to sources, rather than having to draw together scraps of info from a multitude of sources. Walker's career is relatively limited and yet it still comes out to almost 9,000 words.

I would estimate that research took around 18 hours, writing around 12 hours, and uploading around 10 hours. Total of 40 hours of work - the same as a full working week. And I don't get paid a cent for it! (In fact, this profile cost me money, as I bought one of the books which is a key resource - Michael Oliver's Lotus 72: Formula One Icon which I thoroughly recommend.)
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

indeed, you can complete it in an hour but the profile would exist entirely of random irellevant words, and that's not what we nor the writer want for the profiles
(we have a forum for that :D )
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
tc3j3r

Post by tc3j3r »

Great profile! I'd never heard of Dave Walker before. :oops: My reject and general F1 knowledge is pretty good from the early-mid 80s onward, but very limited before that. I also never knew that the constructors' championship used to be decided on only the best result from each team at each race, when exactly did it change? Congratulations again on writing such a brilliant profile.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

eytl wrote:

DonTirri wrote:The Osella profile is LOOOOONG overdue. I mean, they are the VERY DEFINITION of reject as far as Formula One goes.

Time is the big enemy, as usual. You'd be surprised how much work is involved. The Walker profile, which I researched, wrote and uploaded all on my own, was already comparatively easy to research as there were a few key go-to sources, rather than having to draw together scraps of info from a multitude of sources. Walker's career is relatively limited and yet it still comes out to almost 9,000 words.

I would estimate that research took around 18 hours, writing around 12 hours, and uploading around 10 hours. Total of 40 hours of work - the same as a full working week. And I don't get paid a cent for it! (In fact, this profile cost me money, as I bought one of the books which is a key resource - Michael Oliver's Lotus 72: Formula One Icon which I thoroughly recommend.)

You know, you're doing it for the love to the art. That's why we love you ;)
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Sadly, I haven't taken the time to sit down and read this yet. Weekends are coming. I'll get there eventually.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Looks like Walker was to Fittipaldi's campaign what Nelsinho was to Alonso's in 2008. 'T was a great read.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Yannick wrote:Looks like Walker was to Fittipaldi's campaign what Nelsinho was to Alonso's in 2008. 'T was a great read.

I'd say more like 2009 in the way that Piquet had a couple of good races in 2008. Japan springs to mind, although Alonso won.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

redbulljack14 wrote:
Yannick wrote:Looks like Walker was to Fittipaldi's campaign what Nelsinho was to Alonso's in 2008. 'T was a great read.

I'd say more like 2009 in the way that Piquet had a couple of good races in 2008. Japan springs to mind, although Alonso won.

Agreed.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
hunzerug

Post by hunzerug »

Well, Nelsinho actually "helped" Alonso. But Dave.....

I just saw the 1972 British GP at Brands Hatch again (a beautiful circuit in glorious sunshine!).

Somewhere around lap 20 or so, the leading group Ickx-Fittipaldi-Stewart came up to lap Dave. He gave them room, but tried pretty hard to follow them after that which resulted in some quite hairy moments for Dave who almost his car several times in one or two laps.
But then Emerson nearly lost it at Druids and had to let Stewart and the lapped Walker past. One might think that Walker would get out of the way of his teammate -who was leading the WDC- at the earliest possible moment, but no! Walker was obviously trying to show how fast he could go himself around Brands and held Emerson up for at least a full lap, which resulted in Emerson waving his fist furiously at his own teammate - and waving again as he finally was let past....