New teams for 2010

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
fjackdaw

Re: New teams for 2010

Post by fjackdaw »

Team Wurz? I had to check my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st!
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

deadline was passed but few teams are only now revealing that they actually submitted entry.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I think they should let them all in and bring back pre-qualifying.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Paul Hayes wrote:I think they should let them all in and bring back pre-qualifying.

That'd be amazing.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

The could let them all in, and just bring back the 107% rule... though I'd imagine there'd be a fair few sponsors these day unhappy about their cars not actually taking part.

When we get the official list of teams published, it's going to fun guessing who the drives will go to.
StoneColdSpider

Post by StoneColdSpider »

im sure Ralf Schuamcher will b in 1 of the new teams ;)
Im a sarcastic perverted tourist robbing Australian convict

"I want to grab Nick Fry and beat 3 shades of *BEEP* out of him
and have him rotating slowly over a spit!"
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

StoneColdSpider wrote:im sure Ralf Schuamcher will b in 1 of the new teams ;)

He's one of the fastest three drivers in F1. :lol: The others must have been Jacques Villeneuve and Ricardo Rosset.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

Paul Hayes wrote:There's some rather staggering news around that bloody March have submitted an entry!

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 3936.shtml

That can't be right, can it?

Thats bathplug Awesome......Bloody bathplug Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rentragmuab Tlosz!!!!!
StoneColdSpider

double post sorry
Last edited by StoneColdSpider on 02 Jun 2009, 05:12, edited 1 time in total.

StoneColdSpider

why does it not surprise me that when the FIA want to relax the customer car rules a bit that March reportedly submit an entry :P

midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Apparently MyF1Dream, a team that plans to raise its budget from a large number of individual fans, has also lodged an entry:

http://myf1dream.com/

Should be interesting...
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ed24 wrote:Brabham!

...with David and Gary Brabham as drivers and Geoff Brabham as test driver ?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

This thread is crazy Image
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Max crazy, Bernie crazy, or Andrea Sassetti crazy?
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Honestly, I am half expecting Lotus to creep up around the corner. Even RML said they'd try and have a go, but pulled out not to compromise racing the Cruze in the WTCC...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Okay, this is just getting silly now! Brabham?
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

dr-baker wrote:
Ed24 wrote:Brabham!

...with David and Gary Brabham as drivers and Geoff Brabham as test driver ?

i heard Sir Jack was thinking of making a comeback actually ;)
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

This budget cap is one hell of a boost for F1 rejects. Can I hear Gunter Schmid signing an F1 entry form...
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Debaser wrote:This budget cap is one hell of a boost for F1 rejects. Can I hear Gunter Schmid signing an F1 entry form...

Sadly no...he passed away in 2005.
StoneColdSpider

Bleu wrote:
Debaser wrote:This budget cap is one hell of a boost for F1 rejects. Can I hear Gunter Schmid signing an F1 entry form...

oh bugger :(

Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

I suppose saying Epsilon Euskadi's put in an entry won't cheer anyone up either.

19 teams into 13 slots doesn't go.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Alianora La Canta wrote:I suppose saying Epsilon Euskadi's put in an entry won't cheer anyone up either.

19 teams into 13 slots doesn't go.

Actually, it does go... to prequalifying.

I'm proud of myself.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Bleu wrote:

Beware! It iz teh Formula 1 zombies... :D

Brabham to return? Based on the holy leftovers of Super Aguri? I think I have a favourite entry plan now. Who's in favour of Takuma Sato driving for Brabham 2.0?
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

I'm in favour :lol:
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

ANd then they have to hire either Giovanna Amati or Yuji Ide to drive the car for publicity stunts.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

And another one goes into the pot: N Technology.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75795
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

A lot of these entries really need to be taken with a pinch of salt in my opinion.

I think the serious candidates were those who submitted their entries earlier on, such as Campos, and some of the others are just showboating and/or jumping on the bandwagon.

March, for example, had three lives in F1, so I don't see it being granted a fourth, while some of the other names being mentioned just seem utterly implausible to me. Team Wurz? I really can't see this happening, but I've been mistaken before now....
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

This is really starting to get out of hand...

I'd love to see up to 20 teams like it was 20 years ago and pre-qualifying brought back (would make Fridays a bit more interesting), but I think that only a couple of the current new entries have the capability of making it into F1 in a proper way. :|
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

thehemogoblin wrote:
Paul Hayes wrote:I think they should let them all in and bring back pre-qualifying.

That'd be amazing.

Not going to happen. Like I've said in the past, no sponsor is going to be willin to invest millions of dollars to have their name on the side of a car with no guarantee they will make the race.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

Captain Hammer wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:

That'd be amazing.

Not going to happen. Like I've said in the past, no sponsor is going to be willin to invest millions of dollars to have their name on the side of a car with no guarantee they will make the race.

I do agree, actual F1 had no place for mandatory DNQ's (aside for being extraordinary slow or illegal someway (wich is an EX, not a DNQ), let alone any chance on DNPQ. If they gonna accept more than 26 cars on the grid, then the race grid must allow them all.

By the way: Why F1 NEVER allowed more than 26 cars (it's safety issues?), because indy fielded at least 33 on the brickyard.
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

Popi_Larrauri wrote: By the way: Why F1 NEVER allowed more than 26 cars (it's safety issues?), because indy fielded at least 33 on the brickyard.

I believe it's a safety issue, yes, as not all of the circuits are designed to accommodate more than 26 Formula one cars on the grid, although I suspect that older circuits would have more of a problem than a lot of these newer ones in this respect.

Also, remember that Indycars in the Indy 500 line up with three cars on each row, so there are still only ten rows on the grid. With F1, once you start getting beyond thirteen rows (26 cars), you have issues with drivers not being able to see the lights, and the grid not being physically long enough to accommodate that many cars.
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

Guys: Brabham submit is really official! And this explian too much of what have been discussed here!

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/6/9429.html

I copy it here

"The Brabham name has joined the growing ranks of hopeful applicants for the 2010 season. The new project has no connection with original Brabham team founder Sir Jack Brabham or his family.

The entry bid is led by German businessman Franz Hilmer, who co-owns an F3 Euroseries squad, and would be based at the former Super Aguri factory at Leafield in the UK, with the Japanese team’s ex-technical director Mark Preston joining forces with Hilmer and finance and commercial director Dr Hans-Joachim Tritschler.

A statement released on Thursday said: “Brabham has the pleasure to announce its application as a ‘cost cap Formula One team’ for the FIA 2010 Formula One world championship. We appreciate the FIA rules for cost capped F1 teams, and are convinced that the budget limitation is a contemporary obligation and will effect a revitalization of the Formula One world championship. We would be happy to enter into Formula One as a cost cap team and to meet the challenge under the new rules.”

Having bought the assets of Super Aguri when it went into administration last year, Hilmer already runs his tool design and construction company, Formtech, from the Leafield site. Formtech will build the team’s cars and, in their statement they also claim to have secured 75 percent of the financial backing it needs to compete from 2010-12.

Under previous owners, the Brabham name's Formula One involvement stretches from the early 1960s through to 1992, when the team withdrew from the sport midseason. Over three decades in the sport, Brabham clinched two titles, 35 wins, 39 pole positions and 41 fastest laps.

A list of the teams accepted for the 2010 championship will be published by the FIA on June 12."
deCrasheris

Post by deCrasheris »

Popi_Larrauri wrote:Guys: Brabham submit is really official! And this explian too much of what have been discussed here!

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/6/9429.html

I copy it here

"The Brabham name has joined the growing ranks of hopeful applicants for the 2010 season. The new project has no connection with original Brabham team founder Sir Jack Brabham or his family.

The entry bid is led by German businessman Franz Hilmer, who co-owns an F3 Euroseries squad, and would be based at the former Super Aguri factory at Leafield in the UK, with the Japanese team’s ex-technical director Mark Preston joining forces with Hilmer and finance and commercial director Dr Hans-Joachim Tritschler.

A statement released on Thursday said: “Brabham has the pleasure to announce its application as a ‘cost cap Formula One team’ for the FIA 2010 Formula One world championship. We appreciate the FIA rules for cost capped F1 teams, and are convinced that the budget limitation is a contemporary obligation and will effect a revitalization of the Formula One world championship. We would be happy to enter into Formula One as a cost cap team and to meet the challenge under the new rules.”

Having bought the assets of Super Aguri when it went into administration last year, Hilmer already runs his tool design and construction company, Formtech, from the Leafield site. Formtech will build the team’s cars and, in their statement they also claim to have secured 75 percent of the financial backing it needs to compete from 2010-12.

Under previous owners, the Brabham name's Formula One involvement stretches from the early 1960s through to 1992, when the team withdrew from the sport midseason. Over three decades in the sport, Brabham clinched two titles, 35 wins, 39 pole positions and 41 fastest laps.

A list of the teams accepted for the 2010 championship will be published by the FIA on June 12."

Let's just say that Sir Jack Brabham is not that receptive of his name being used with his consent and is pondering legal action to secure his name.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75806
RIP Dan Wheldon 1978-2011
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Who next ?

Vanwall ? Cooper ?

This is getting stupid.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

I think we need a recap! By my count, at this point there's nine new teams that have submitted entries:

1. USF1 - Peter Windsor/Ken Anderson's team, publicly been in the works for a while
2. Campos - run by Adrian Campos, no relation to Barwa Addax GP2 team, possibly with Dallara chassis
3. Litespeed - F3 team in conjunction with Mike Gascoyne
4. Prodrive - with rumours that Dave Richards will bring the Aston Martin name back in due course
5. Lola - making first return since 1997
6. Team Superfund - run by Alexander Wurz
7. March - run by Andrew Fitton, the owner of the March name and the Swindon Town football club
8. Epsilon Euskadi - run by Joan Villadelprat, ex-Tyrrell, Benetton and Prost manager
9. N.Technology - formerly successful ETCC and WTCC team, organiser of the Formula Master series
10. Brabham - run by Franz Hilmer, possibly from the remaining remnants of Super Aguri

I've tried to put them roughly in the order in which they've announced that they lodged an entry. As much as I would love to see new teams in F1, I agree with Ross Prawn that this is starting to get silly. Plus with Williams having lodged an unconditional entry, that's enough for a 22-car grid already!

This is really playing into Max's hands - one wonders if he even personally encouraged some of these entries. Unlike in 2006 when all sorts of weird consortiums put in an entry for that extra team slot in 2008 (that was eventually 'won' by Prodrive), enough of these new teams have enough credibility/backing/resources to suggest that they could make a passable go at doing F1 properly.

I mean, USF1 has been in the works for a while. Prodrive is a professional and successful squad, and so is N.Technology and Campos. Campos may also have Dallara chassis, and Dallara and Lola are well-regarded racing car marques (whatever their past history in F1). Litespeed has Mike Gascoyne, so you can't sneeze at that, and Epsilon Euskadi is run by the capable Joan Villadelprat. Team Superfund may have decent backing, and this new 'Brabham' consortium may have enough leftover Super Aguri bits. The only entry that seems to have no real cred is the revival of March.

The reality though is that USF1 is the only team that has been planning their F1 attack for a while and are already advanced in terms of car design etc. The rest, even if they are established teams or have credentialled ex-F1 people in their ranks, have to start from scratch, with regulations that aren't settled, and around 9 months to the start of the 2010 season. Hmmm ...

But Max's bargaining power has increased exponentially. He can now say to the nine FOTA teams that he can field a full grid, and that they aren't joke entries. What if the FOTA teams do an about-turn (although unlikely)? Who will the FIA reject? If the FIA chooses the current teams, will some of these new entries be so peeved off that they are turned off from F1 and so there's fewer prospects of new teams even in coming years?

This game of political brinkmanship just got a whole lot messier ...
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

It's certainly come to something when USF1 looks like the most serious possible new entrant!
BB01

Post by BB01 »

Irisado wrote:
Popi_Larrauri wrote: By the way: Why F1 NEVER allowed more than 26 cars (it's safety issues?), because indy fielded at least 33 on the brickyard.

I believe it's a safety issue, yes, as not all of the circuits are designed to accommodate more than 26 Formula one cars on the grid, although I suspect that older circuits would have more of a problem than a lot of these newer ones in this respect.

Also, remember that Indycars in the Indy 500 line up with three cars on each row, so there are still only ten rows on the grid. With F1, once you start getting beyond thirteen rows (26 cars), you have issues with drivers not being able to see the lights, and the grid not being physically long enough to accommodate that many cars.

I'm pretty sure modern circuits have pit lanes only need to accomodate 24 cars. That is why the FIA will likely limit the entries to 24.

Max can't be too happy with the list of supposed entries next year, though. If anyone thinks that all of these teams will be able to make it to the grid next year with teams, cars, engines and sponsors, they have to be kidding themselves. And will anyone watch an F1 race if there is no Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault, Toyota, BMW, etc.? They're going to need a lot of Cosworths.