Beat Tilke at his own game

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
DemocalypseNow

Re: Beat Tilke at his own game

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Irn-Bru Glasgow Grand Prix (Night Race)
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3345011

Pros: Lightning fast section from Saltmarket to Lancefield Quay, easy overtaking spot at the Gorbals hairpin, loads of old buildings along Broomielaw that can be made into pit garages.
Cons: Not many high-speed turns, except Laurieston Road.
Main Feature: Finnieston Bridge (furthest west point of the track).

Track Guide: Flat out at just over 200mph past the start/finish, absolutely flat along Anderston and Lancfield Quay, then a 60 degree left over the Finnieston Bridge, then a hairpin left onto Paisely Road. Kerbhopping across the roundabout come chicane, and then into another left-right chicane. Then a fast left hander onto West Street and hard on the brakes into the 90 degree right hander onto Clyde Place. More 90 degree left/rights, as the track weaves its way into the Gorbals. As drivers try to dodge Neds trying to steal their tyres, hard braking for the hard left Cathcart Hairpin, then a fast sweeping right-left bend through Laurieston Rd, across the River Clyde again and hard braking into the left turn onto Bridgemarket, a straight that isn't quite straight, then a final right kink onto Clyde Street and finally back onto the pit straight.

If we can't have Glasgow Park can we have this? Knockhill is a bit shite.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Archie2K

Post by Archie2K »

Kos GP http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3345072
I thought this up when on holiday there five years ago. The road up to and along the sea front was pretty epic. The rest is trying to link this up whilst not having too many 90 degree turns that blight street circuits.

British GP http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3345080 in Dartmoor
Massive gradient changes and testing B-roads with awkward cambers and the like, along with the notorious Dartmoor micro-climate.

British GP http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3345088 in Peak District
It's over 6 miles, so way too long, and there is no run off on any of those roads, but the hairpir (top-right) is epic. Think standing at mile marker 3 and looking north.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Marco wrote:Image

Marco, I do a bunch of stuff with Nascar 2003's AI on Youtube -- and do a lot of road racing with them. Could I have the version of the track with working AI? This is what it would be for...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Hi
Could I have the version of the track with working AI?

Little misunderstanding: that track does not have AI as I have never finished it. The track that is completed is this one (absolutely not suited to modern F1):

There is a long S/F straight, it goes a bit uphill after the pit exit with a crest at 0, the braking zone to turn 1 is downhill. T1 is a bit tight, T2 should be flat into a long "curved straight" ... that has a few degrees negative banking :twisted: T3 is very fast, also the S that is turn 4, it has evil curbs so no cutting on the inside. It goes a bit uphill from there to T5 which is faster than it looks because it's banked. Then it's downhill to T6. Careful, because there is a very small crook to the left before T7. Then uphill again. There are two versions of the track: the first one has a fast but tricky chicane (8) that leads downhill into T9/11 - a hairpin in this version. In the GP version the chicane is not used, instead T9 is a fast right hand corner. Then a little curve to the right before T10, which is banked again. T11 is a very fast corner because the track is wide, but the corner radius is very small, it's a very sharp kink actually. Then uphill to T12 and in the corner it's downhill to T13, a bit like the corkscreew but not nearly as steep.

I'll send you a link.

Cynon

Post by Cynon »

You made the Orlatlring? I'm pretty familiar with that track. Great fun to drive, and the AI are pretty fun to watch there as well.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Marco wrote:Hi
Could I have the version of the track with working AI?

Little misunderstanding: that track does not have AI as I have never finished it. The track that is completed is this one (absolutely not suited to modern F1):

There is a long S/F straight, it goes a bit uphill after the pit exit with a crest at 0, the braking zone to turn 1 is downhill. T1 is a bit tight, T2 should be flat into a long "curved straight" ... that has a few degrees negative banking :twisted: T3 is very fast, also the S that is turn 4, it has evil curbs so no cutting on the inside. It goes a bit uphill from there to T5 which is faster than it looks because it's banked. Then it's downhill to T6. Careful, because there is a very small crook to the left before T7. Then uphill again. There are two versions of the track: the first one has a fast but tricky chicane (8) that leads downhill into T9/11 - a hairpin in this version. In the GP version the chicane is not used, instead T9 is a fast right hand corner. Then a little curve to the right before T10, which is banked again. T11 is a very fast corner because the track is wide, but the corner radius is very small, it's a very sharp kink actually. Then uphill to T12 and in the corner it's downhill to T13, a bit like the corkscreew but not nearly as steep.

I'll send you a link.

Man, this well and truly remembers the Apricot Hill raceway from Gran Turismo...if it's not identical at all...
Marco

Post by Marco »

First one says that Saaletalring looks like that Apricot Hill, now suddenly Orlatalring does, although both tracks are totally different?!

PS: Ok, I just looked for a video of that track, and the only similarity I see is the part between T5 and 6 of Orlatalring, that does indeed look a bit like one part of that GT track, but that's all. Maybe Cynon has a video to show.
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

It looks nothing like Apricot Hill...

<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Since I'm bored, I'm reviving this. And given the proposal for the Rome Grand Prix, Rome is going to be my theme:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3374307

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3374310

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3374313
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

The 3rd and 8th tracks look decent; good straights and decent curves.

Following the trend of bayside races, here's a selection of my ideas:

Mumbai 1: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3378132

Mumbai 2: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3378138

Blackpool: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3378141

Nice-Monaco: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3378147
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Are you planning to make everyone race with a Dennis Dart or something?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Saw a GoogleMaps map of Melbourne and thought that the Botanical Gardens would make a good alternative venue: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3581323

Could be kind of a street circuit mixed with Thruxton.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

None of you gmaps pedometer people can beat this!

It´s in Madrid :)
[url]
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3583302 [/url]

I encourage you to look at the topography of the area. Believe me it´s all but flat! I just don´t know where to place the pits, but probably in avenida complutense.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Aerond wrote:None of you gmaps pedometer people can beat this!

It´s in Madrid :)
[url]
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3583302 [/url]

I encourage you to look at the topography of the area. Believe me it´s all but flat! I just don´t know where to place the pits, but probably in avenida complutense.

Nice stuff, a street circuit with elevation changes!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Behold, my rejectful paint skills!

This is my home track, and is located about 20 km away from Spa.
Yellow is the track, red is for corner names and the pit-lane, green is split-sector lines and blue are grandstands.

First, the start-finish straight, and its overly short pit-lane. We head downhill, really steep to the Chera Bend, before an uphill blast to Sendrogne Corner, as the uphill setion continues. A short crest before a long soft downhill bit, with small kinks here and there before heavy breaking for Stinval Hairpin, which goes downhill in the middle of it. After a short blast comes this track's answer to Eau Rouge, the Pere-Andre Chicane. It's a bit like the corkscrew uphill, only a bit less steep. Next comes the field kink, a fast left-hander. Some small corners before Blindef Corner and The run, another sequence of uphill corners leading to the start-finish line.

All this in 3-4 kilometers. Keep in mind that the track is exceptionally narrow, it barely has space for two cars at it's widest, unless it's through the corners at crossroads. From Stinval to Blindef, it's only about 2m wide!
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

tommykl wrote:Behold, my rejectful paint skills!

Yellow is the track, red is for corner names and the pit-lane, green is split-sector lines and blue are grandstands.

First, the start-finish straight, and its overly short pit-lane. We head downhill, really steep to the Chera Bend, before an uphill blast to Sendrogne Corner, as the uphill setion continues. A short crest before a long soft downhill bit, with small kinks here and there before heavy breaking for Stinval Hairpin, which goes downhill in the middle of it. After a short blast comes this track's answer to Eau Rouge, the Pere-Andre Chicane. It's a bit like the corkscrew uphill, only a bit less steep. Next comes the field kink, a fast left-hander. Some small corners before Blindef Corner and The run, another sequence of uphill corners leading to the start-finish line.

All this in 3-4 kilometers. Keep in mind that the track is exceptionally narrow, it barely has space for two cars at it's widest, unless it's through the corners at crossroads. From Stinval to Blindef, it's only about 2m wide!

Complete with a rejectful bug that won't let me show my (not so) beautiful track :(
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

You live 20km from Spa?

You do realise how fortunate you are don't you?
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

tommykl wrote:Image

Reims-Gueux? :idea:
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

To be honnest im clear with the Tilke Drome's those circuits dont have any feeling or what so ever, and they are all the same and getting borred.
Where are the new circuits with the feeling like, Zolder, Zandvoort, Silverstone, Monaco, Hockenheim, Monza, imola, etc ?
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

All of my circuits use parts of existing circuits. Yes, it is lame, but I feel satisfied. Their also not meant to be anywhere in particular, so go wild in location!

Here's my so called "best".

More to come!
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Next is a Monaco based track...
Last edited by Jeroen Krautmeir on 22 Jun 2010, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

shinji wrote:

You live 20km from Spa?

Well, considering i've only been there once, yeah I do.
I also got to walk the old track (now public road).

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Image

That's odd, I swear I've seen those tracks before...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

shinji wrote:

You live 20km from Spa?

muha, i've found a camping space! :D

sorry, it's not very polite to invite myself :oops:
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
JohnMLTX

Post by JohnMLTX »

Here's a concept for a track in Austin that I came up with using a bit of Cynon's idea and a bit of road america. it's an homage to Phil Hill. I just finished drawing this and it's 3 AM in the morning, so forgive me if it seems weird.

http://yfrog.com/0cphilhillj
ibsey wrote:Things happen in my underwear, every time I hear those Ferrari's.
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

I'm Borred at work i made this 2 circuits on paper =)
what d you think ?

==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

JohnMLTX wrote:Here's a concept for a track in Austin that I came up with using a bit of Cynon's idea and a bit of road america. it's an homage to Phil Hill. I just finished drawing this and it's 3 AM in the morning, so forgive me if it seems weird.

The Diabolica/Von Trips kink reminds me a bit of Paddock Hill Bend and the run up to Druid's Hairpin... (Brands Hatch, obviously?)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

This wrote:
shinji wrote:

You live 20km from Spa?

muha, i've found a camping space! :D

sorry, it's not very polite to invite myself :oops:

Well, you can invite me then :lol:
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

sure, you can sleep in my garden, but you have to go to zolder instead then...
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
JohnMLTX

Post by JohnMLTX »

dr-baker wrote:
Me wrote:Here's a concept for a track in Austin that I came up with using a bit of Cynon's idea and a bit of road america. it's an homage to Phil Hill. I just finished drawing this and it's 3 AM in the morning, so forgive me if it seems weird.

The Diabolica/Von Trips kink reminds me a bit of Paddock Hill Bend and the run up to Druid's Hairpin... (Brands Hatch, obviously?)

yep. that's what i thought of when drawing those. i was watching an old f3 race online whilst drawing it.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Some time ago there was a topic in the boards about "Your ideal circuit" or something, and I drew up this in my boredom, using only parts from existing circuits:

I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
JohnMLTX

Post by JohnMLTX »

DonTirri wrote:Some time ago there was a topic in the boards about "Your ideal circuit" or something, and I drew up this in my boredom, using only parts from existing circuits:

What would laptimes be for that thing?
also, how much stress and/or death would be thrust upon the drivers?

either way, though, that still looks amazing. I'd love to drive that in a sim racer.
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

DonTirri wrote:Image

I assume the Mistral would have a steep downhill to make up for the rises of Istanbul 8, Eau Rouge, and Schumacher-S (though the rise to Schumi would be somewhat negated by the drop to Dunlop).
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

RejectSteve wrote:
DonTirri wrote:Image

I assume the Mistral would have a steep downhill to make up for the rises of Istanbul 8, Eau Rouge, and Schumacher-S (though the rise to Schumi would be somewhat negated by the drop to Dunlop).

Wow. What an idea, a steep decline into a bumpy Peraldalta... Me likey.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

There's been lots of mention of Oulton Park as a circuit that would be great to have F1 visit, and after watching Motorsport UK this evening on ITV4 on which the circuit featured, I decided to make a few alterations and improvements that (I think) would bring it up to F1 standards.

Google Maps linky

Basically along with the new sections, the entire circuit would be widened to F1 design standards, with run-off areas increased vastly and the provision of much more gravel and a more extensive network of barriers around the edge.

There would also be a complete overhaul of the pit and paddock with the pit lane being lengthened and all new pit garages, race control and hospitality suites being built also.

Finally there would be lots of new grandstands situated around the circuit with provision made in other areas with raised banking and covered areas.

Something I haven't drawn on there is improvements to the surrounding road network, which would be vital as the circuit is, despite being some 12 miles from Chester, in the middle of nowhere. A healthy dose of dual carriageway bypasses and freeflow links to the M6 from both the A51 (via the A500) from the south and the A54 from the north in the style of Silverstone's A43, only better would be the order of the day (aside from F1 I do take a keen interest in roads in case people were wondering!)

So what do people think of this? If the money was there would it be do-able? When should we send the proposals to Mr Palmer? :)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
JeanDenisAlcatraz

Post by JeanDenisAlcatraz »

The circuit looks good, but Oulton Park is in a natural bowl and there's a large lake right next to the hairpin at the back and along the straight before it. It'd be very difficult to make those extensions due to the steep hills. The bit after the hairpin would probably make the cars take off at the crest! Knickerbrook (the right-hand kink on the western edge of the circuit) would be awesome in an F1 car though.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Only if you get rid of that chicane after the first hairpin ...
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

AndreaModa wrote:There's been lots of mention of Oulton Park as a circuit that would be great to have F1 visit, and after watching Motorsport UK this evening on ITV4 on which the circuit featured, I decided to make a few alterations and improvements that (I think) would bring it up to F1 standards.

Google Maps linky

Basically along with the new sections, the entire circuit would be widened to F1 design standards, with run-off areas increased vastly and the provision of much more gravel and a more extensive network of barriers around the edge.

There would also be a complete overhaul of the pit and paddock with the pit lane being lengthened and all new pit garages, race control and hospitality suites being built also.

Finally there would be lots of new grandstands situated around the circuit with provision made in other areas with raised banking and covered areas.

Something I haven't drawn on there is improvements to the surrounding road network, which would be vital as the circuit is, despite being some 12 miles from Chester, in the middle of nowhere. A healthy dose of dual carriageway bypasses and freeflow links to the M6 from both the A51 (via the A500) from the south and the A54 from the north in the style of Silverstone's A43, only better would be the order of the day (aside from F1 I do take a keen interest in roads in case people were wondering!)

So what do people think of this? If the money was there would it be do-able? When should we send the proposals to Mr Palmer? :)

DO
NOT
TOUCH
OULTON
PARK

What you're basically proposing is the destruction of everything that makes the place what it is. It is too good for F1. it's small, it's friendly, you can sit on the grass at knickerbrook while the kids run up and down the hill. You can come in through the lodge entrance, park in the dip at deerleap, less than 5 metres from the racing surface. You can drive up a bit further and park on the bank directly overlooking the start finish straight.
It's a national/club level circuit, and I hope it stays as such forever.

Sorry if I've gone overboard, but I challenge you to spend a day there (Gold Cup for preference, but even BSB or BTCC should do the trick) and then come away and tell me that it would be better if it was made suitable for F1.

Sorry again, I know we're just playing, but seriously - I would be heartbroken to lose Oulton to the changes you describe.
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

[Clarkson]I went onto the internet the other day and I found this.[/Clarkson]
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.