Ferrari and CART

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
TomWazzleshaw

Ferrari and CART

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I was on wikipedia earlier today reading about the history of Scuderia Ferrari (Reading random stuff on wiki is a great way to pass the time while learning something somewhat interesting :lol: ) I noticed that Ferrari threatened to go to CART in the mid 80s if the FIA didn't reconsider the Engine rules for the 1986 season. Could anyone provide more infomation on this?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Londoner

Re: Ferrari and CART

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
coops

Post by coops »

Its true and they even built a car to do it with. Eventually they backed down and depending on what you believe that was either because they reached a compromise with FISA (pre FIA) or when tested the Ferrari Indycar was so woeful Mr Ferrari pulled the plug to save his reputation.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Oh, how I whish they had done it.
Would have been great for CART, good for F1, woderful for motorsport in the USA and bad for Ferrari.
In short: Everyone's a winner!
danardif1

Post by danardif1 »

They had done quite a bit of research into the project as well... They had hired Bobby Rahal and the Truesports team to come to Fiorano and showcase their March car, and see what Indy racing would require... They were being lined up to be the ones to run the 637 as well, kind of like a Ferrari Team USA, which probably shows they weren't really going to leave F1, especially when they couldn't use V12's in Indy either, which was their point of contention in their fuss with the FIA...

The car later became a test bed for the Alfa engine that flopped in the early 90's...
KAMUI KOBAYASHI

After some more irreverant F1 debate? Join http://www.f1-nation.ning.com!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Despite hiring Rahal, new chassis in CART always had a tough first season unless Michael Andretti was driving them. The CART Ferrari wouldn't have been more competitive than the Porsches were in CART.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Lotus tried to join CART in 1985, by the way, though the reasons are unknown.
danardif1

Post by danardif1 »

Didn't know about that!! Imagine if Ferrari and Lotus had made the commitment to join CART and had done well unlike Porsche and Alfa Romeo, it would've been even better at it's peak in the early 90's!
KAMUI KOBAYASHI

After some more irreverant F1 debate? Join http://www.f1-nation.ning.com!
cretoxyrhina

Post by cretoxyrhina »

8w has a pretty comprehensive article about Ferrari 637 CART: http://8w.forix.com/march90ca-ferrari.html

Ligier also raced(?) with Ligier LC02 in 1984, which was heavily based on JS21. Only qualified once at Long Beach with Kevin Cogan, and retired very early. (IIRC it was retired on lap 3)
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

P_Friesacher wrote:Oh, how I whish they had done it.
Would have been great for CART, good for F1, woderful for motorsport in the USA and bad for Ferrari.
In short: Everyone's a winner!

...except for the tifosi.
This is a cool spot.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

cretoxyrhina wrote:8w has a pretty comprehensive article about Ferrari 637 CART: http://8w.forix.com/march90ca-ferrari.html

Ligier also raced(?) with Ligier LC02 in 1984, which was heavily based on JS21. Only qualified once at Long Beach with Kevin Cogan, and retired very early. (IIRC it was retired on lap 3)

That car was absolutely horrendous. Aerodinamically ineffective (and hence painfully slow) and flimsily built (I've read that thing dropped pieces of it on the racetrack at high speeds).
And I'm affraid your link doesn't work.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Wow, that's amazing! More European constructors should go to the States (though, now that Dallara has won the contest to be IndyCar's sole supplier until what, 2015? albeit with this really weird idea where they produce a safety cell and then teams get to stick parts on, so they become... half-constructors?, this might probably take a while).

Penske vs. Panoz vs. Reynard vs. Lola vs. Ferrari vs. Lotus vs. Ligier, or something like that, would've been epic.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

I fixed both of those links. They work now.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

cretoxyrhina wrote:Ligier also raced(?) with Ligier LC02 in 1984, which was heavily based on JS21. Only qualified once at Long Beach with Kevin Cogan, and retired very early. (IIRC it was retired on lap 3)

That's most likely why the Ligier retired from the race...

Lotus used to be a fixture in USAC before CART split off from USAC, so it was never really a surprise that they'd try to come back in. That Lotus car looks actually like it might have done some serious ass kicking, but who knows...

So you could have had...

Lotus, March, Ferrari, Penske, Lola, Reynard, Galmer (shame this car didn't last that long), ... in the mid 1990s...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Viresh

Post by Viresh »

Awesome snaps it's a power of racers.it can be great if any one can drive or see the tracks or F1 race lively.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Viresh wrote:Awesome snaps it's a power of racers.it can be great if any one can drive or see the tracks or F1 race lively.

Not to be rude but,... ever tried talking like a normal person? :roll:
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

This wrote:
Viresh wrote:Awesome snaps it's a power of racers.it can be great if any one can drive or see the tracks or F1 race lively.

Not to be rude but,... ever tried talking like a normal person? :roll:

Hey Viresh Have you really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989