Reject relations...

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
tommykl

Reject relations...

Post by tommykl »

...is the place to talk about the way you are involved with F1 rejectdom, however tangential the relationship is (this is F1 Rejects, isn't it?).

I'll start with this.

I used to live in Malaysia where one of my brother's friends was coincidentally the son of the owner of the Sepang circuit, and the grandson of Malaysia's ex-prime minister. He went into the paddock lounge in the 2008 GP, and he had his picture taken with 2 rejects (Bernie and Alex Yoong).

On a more tangential note, for this year's Belgian GP, local owners of antique cars drove the drivers around the circuit, instead of carrying them all on one truck, in cars that were made by the driver's teams, or engine manufacturers. One of my classmates' father owns an antique Ford Mustang, and was chosen for the GP. He got to carry, not Lewis Hamilton, or Mark Webber, but instead, He of the Dodgy Neck, the one, the only, the great, SAKON YAMAMOTO!
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Salamander

Re: Reject relations...

Post by Salamander »

Unfortunately, I seem to have no links to the F1 world, but one (very) tangential link I do have to IndyCars is that Dan Wheldon was born in Emberton, which also happens to be my surname.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Another very tangential link...albeit not reject related...the Stewart's family garage in Dumbarton is now a Vauxhall dealership...named Lindsay's of Dumbarton (i.e. same as my last name). Now while you may think its just cause some random person took it over, apparently Jackie still owns it... :idea:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
patrick

Post by patrick »

I live very close to Bourne, which was the home of BRM, an F1 team from 1951-1977. Not very rejectful though, because they won the WDC with Graham Hill in 1962!
Plenty of other noted drivers too, Surtees, Siffert, Helmut Marko, Regazzoni, Lauda.. it's amazing to think that they probably all visited the factory at some point, right in that little town 2 mins down the road from my village.
I'm sure they were home to plenty of rejectful drivers too!

My grandfather was also a Motorbike Racer/Hillclimb participant and had links to F1 - even worked occasionally for a few of the abundant, small, (reject) one-customer-car teams in the 50s-60s.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I don't know if it counts, but I once DNQed for a challenge to choose some guys to do a special activity on high school. Not F1, but DNQs are the parents of rejectdom after all.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

I, like Yuji Ide, do not have a Superlicense.
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

I also don't really have reject relations but other family member do have.

My grandfather, did know actually know Ben Pon, and also some high chief back in the days from circuit zandvoort.
My dad knows Fittipaldi, they drunk some beer back in the 70's in a dutch bar. Don't ask me where it was. He also did know a few German drivers, because he worked for a Germany Company, but those germans where just Bastards like he said.
If i think of it i do have a relation with rejects, i'm kind of friends With Lavaggi and i spoke a few times to Bleekemolen but that's all.

And we did have some GP cars in our family back in the 30's but that family was far far far far far far from my family but it was still family :lol:
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

HWNSNBM is related to all of us, but that's for a seperate thread.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

My dad once drove a Ford Falcon EB GT which was loaned to Nigel Mansell when he was in Australia for the Surfers Paradise Indy Car race.
This is a cool spot.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Additionally, my grandad did the refuelling for the teams using *censored, no ads* oil at Spa in the 60's.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

JeanDenisAlcatraz

Post by JeanDenisAlcatraz »

thehemogoblin wrote:I, like Yuji Ide, do not have a Superlicense.

I, like Nigel Mansell, used Moneysupermarket.com last week.

(Nige isn't the reject, Omid Djalili is...)
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

My brothers and dad met Tommy Byrne and Eddie Jordan in the pits in Monza, dunno what year it would have been, early 80s anyway, wasn't F1 obviously.
Last edited by shinji on 15 Sep 2010, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

My aunt was in The Bill for a while in the late 1980's.

Motorsport??? I've sat in what I think was a 1999 Jordan at the Enfield Car pageant several years ago, but I don't know where the photo is. Remember how snug the car was though.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I live about 10 minutes walk away from the base of Carlin Motorsport, which is the former Brabham factory. Giovanna Amati may well have been hanging around in Chessington at one point!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I have the same number of Grand Prix starts as Bernie Ecclestone.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

redbulljack14 wrote:I have the same number of Grand Prix starts as Bernie Ecclestone.

I wish to 'have relations' with Bernie's daughters ... :P

Does that count?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

madmark1974 wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:I have the same number of Grand Prix starts as Bernie Ecclestone.

Does that count?

I refer you to this... Think you'll find I'm first in line from this forum. :twisted:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

dr-baker wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:

Does that count?

I refer you to this... Think you'll find I'm first in line from this forum. :twisted:

Let the fun begin... :twisted: :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

dr-baker wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:

Does that count?

Good luck then, stud.
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

I once worked with a person who used to volunteer as a F1 marshall. He would often tell me tales of his experiences at the track.
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
Marco

Post by Marco »

A small garage/parts shop in our village had a formula car in the shop window for some months in the late 90s... they said it was an F3 car, but to me it looked very much like a 1990 Osella (it was painted completely in orange with no sponsors).

So if I'm right this was rejectful in many ways:
a) Reject car
b) Reject driver
c) Reject shop for not recognizing they had a F1 chassis in the shop
d) Reject Marco for not thinking about taking a photograph

If I'm wrong it was
a) Reject Marco for thinking this was an F1 car
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Mmmm, let's see...
I was supposed to be transferred to Enrique Bernoldi's car in 2002 for the French Grand Prix at Magny-Cours, but that was the weekend that Cosworth impounded our engines due to lack of payment and wouldn't let us run (we ended up doing an in-out lap only at the end of qualifying and didn't qualify). I went back to HHF after that. I also worked with Sebastien Bourdais when he tested for Arrows at Silverstone (hang on, does Bourdais count as a reject?). Also, our pits were always next door to Minardi, so Alex Yoong was always there. Also, at every race where F3000 was on the support bill to F1 in 2002, the team (whose name eludes me at the moment) that used to run Nicolas Kiesa used to dump their crap outside our pits, because it was very rare that F3000 teams ever had proper pits to work out of.
My mate Stuart engineered Lucas di Grassi in GP2 in 2009. He also engineered Giorgio Pantano in 2008.
My mate Peter is a design engineer with Force India, but he was there since during the dark days of Spyker and Midland.
My mate Karl engineers Markus Winkelhock in the DTM and has done so since 2008.
My friend's sister Leena is the data engineer for Allan McNish in the Le Mans Series and has been since 2008.
My mate Sergi worked for Adrian Campos in that Nissan championship thing in Spain and one of their drivers was Marc Gene (the other was Fernando Alonso, by the way). Is Marc Gene a reject? If so, that's a double reject right there.
Last edited by Faustus on 25 Aug 2015, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Faustus wrote:Mmmm, let's see...
I was supposed to be transferred to Enrique Bernoldi's car in 2002 for the French Grand Prix at Magny-Cours, but that was the weekend that Cosworth impounded our engines due to lack of payment and wouldn't let us run (we ended up doing an in-out lap only at the end of qualifying and didn't qualify). I went back to HHF after that. I also worked with Sebastien Bourdais when he tested for Arrows at Silverstone (hang on, does Bourdais count as a reject?). Also, our pits were always next door to Minardi, so Alex Yoong was always there. Also, at every race where F3000 was on the support bill to F1 in 2002, the team (whose name eludes me at the moment) that used to run Nicolas Kiesa used to dump their crap outside our pits, because it was very rare that F3000 teams ever had proper pits to work out of.
My mate Stuart engineered Lucas di Grassi in GP2 in 2009. He also engineered Giorgio Pantano in 2008.
My mate Peter is a design engineer with Force India, but he was there since during the dark days of Spyker and Midland.
My mate Karl engineers Markus Winkelhock in the DTM and has done so since 2008.
My friend Teena is the data engineer for Allan McNish in the Le Mans Series and has been since 2008.
My mate Sergi worked for Adrian Campos in that Nissan championship thing in Spain and one of their drivers was Marc Gene (the other was Fernando Alonso, by the way). Is Marc Gene a reject? If so, that's a double reject right there.

I think you win.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

By a country mile.

Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I didn't think this was a competition.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

I happen to share my name with a certain Formula One driver whose surname is Alonso. I first heard of him in late '99, when he was a prospective F1 driver, and thought it would be cool to be called like one of them.

But he's not exactly a reject :lol:
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Marco

Post by Marco »

Oh, and I am actually a M.S. from K. - the more famous one with this initials and place of origin may not be an offical reject, but he showed some rejectworthy maneuvres on track during his career...
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Great to find a forum with many other really crazy F-1-fans. :D

I'm from the same country as HWNSNBM and I'm just shocked, how much respect he has here. :)
And the relation: I had a journey some years ago in a car which was from HWNSNBM's father's store.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

QuickYoda41 wrote:Great to find a forum with many other really crazy F-1-fans. :D

I'm from the same country as HWNSNBM and I'm just shocked, how much respect he has here. :)
And the relation: I had a journey some years ago in a car which was from HWNSNBM's father's store.

The Deathproof car? :shock:
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Batmobile?
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Of course it wasn't even similar to anything you've ever seen. But imagination has no limits.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Well I've lived in the same town that's housed not only Simtek's wind tunnel and operations on one industrial estate, but now houses Wirth Research's factory on another industrial estate on the other side of town. And my dad has worked on both estates whilst either site (Simtek or Wirth) has been operational :)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Resurrecting this thread as I've only today found out some interesting info, that I suspect the original poster at least will be interested in.

I was trawling through details of my old secondary/sixth form school and found a list of famous people who'd also been there, most of whom I already knew of or had never heard of.

Right in the middle of the list though, was....Johnny Claes!! Not bad eh?
LucaPacchiarini

Post by LucaPacchiarini »

I'm remotely related to the 70's motorcycle champion Walter Villa, who won three times the 250cc World Championship and the 350cc Class once

I seem to remember he was related in some ways with my grandmother, but I need to ask her because I don't remember exactly what kind of relation it was.

I'm pretty sure she still has a picture of my family and Walter Villa together, I'll edit this post when I can scan it.
..I'm the member number 666 on this forum... I'm doomed to rejectdom
"Giovanni Lavaggi Draiver is a big, bigger than people think"
(Giancarlo Minardi, on his former driver Giovanni Lavaggi)
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Barbazza wrote:Resurrecting this thread as I've only today found out some interesting info, that I suspect the original poster at least will be interested in.

I was trawling through details of my old secondary/sixth form school and found a list of famous people who'd also been there, most of whom I already knew of or had never heard of.

Right in the middle of the list though, was....Johnny Claes!! Not bad eh?

Win.

It can be explained by the fact that Johnny was born in Fulham because his mother was British...

Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Yes, I remember reading that. She obviously had good taste in picking the right school from the Home Counties!
Verde

Post by Verde »

I interviewed Philippe Adams (very friendly guy).

I tried to interview Alex Caffi but he misunderstood me and he offered me a society to sell his products here in Brazil (!).

I tried to do the same with Tommy Byrne, but he said he would only make an interview by phone. And of course I wouldn't spend my money on talking to him. But on the other hand, he added me in a Facebook-like site and also invited me to go to the party of release of his book. Being thousands of miles away from England, I don't think that was possible.

Ricardo Rosset went to my site and thanked me for an article I wrote about him (possibly the only one to rate him highly).

F3000 driver Thomas Danielsson gave me his e-mail after his son read an article I wrote about his problem with stereoblindness and his battle against FISA. I asked him an interview, but he didn't answer me so far.

I live some kilometers away from the company of Alexandre Negrão's father. (GP2 reject)
And one former girlfriend of mine studied at the same school of him.

And my surname is Kojima. Meh.
http://www.bandeiraverde.com.br

The reject (and non-reject) side of motorsport. In Portuguese.
MaxZero

Post by MaxZero »

Not rejectful in the slightest this, apologies

Jim Clark was my grandfathers second cousin
Vepe

Post by Vepe »

I don´t know if I should do this, but....

I live right next to Keimola Motor Stadium
I live in the same city where Häkkinen was born
20 km north of where Mika Salo was born
20 km north east of where JJ Lehto and Kimi Räikkönen was born
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

tommykl wrote:...is the place to talk about the way you are involved with F1 rejectdom, however tangential the relationship is (this is F1 Rejects, isn't it?).

I'm not related to Formula 1 or Formula 1 drivers... But the town where I live, it's just 14 km far from the town where Alex Zanardi lived during his youth.
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine