trivia question....

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
coops

Re: trivia question....

Post by coops »

Tealy wrote:Off topic but haven't 3 drivers won for Jordan? I'm thinking Hill, Frentzen and Fisichella (That race in '03 when Raikkonen was the winner on the podium but moved down afterwards).

You're right I forgot about Fizzy, perhaps because of the way he won it. Still, a wins a win.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
Waris

Post by Waris »

mario wrote:the tracks which have hosted the United States Grand Prix - we have Watkins Glen, Long Beach, Phoenix, Sebring, Riverside and Indianapolis, all of which were held under the title of "The United States Grand Prix", or variants (when Watkins Glen and Long Beach were on the calendar simultaneously, Watkins Glen was called "United States Grand Prix East" and Long Beach "United States Grand Prix West", to distinguish the two). On top of that, there have been races in Detroit, Las Vegas and Dallas, but those races have been named after the venue, not the country.

If I'm not mistaken, there was never a United States Grand Prix East. Just the United States Grand Prix West and the United States Grand Prix. Also, again if I'm not mistaken, after Watkins Glen disappeared, Long Beach stayed the United States Grand Prix West.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Waris wrote:
mario wrote:the tracks which have hosted the United States Grand Prix - we have Watkins Glen, Long Beach, Phoenix, Sebring, Riverside and Indianapolis, all of which were held under the title of "The United States Grand Prix", or variants (when Watkins Glen and Long Beach were on the calendar simultaneously, Watkins Glen was called "United States Grand Prix East" and Long Beach "United States Grand Prix West", to distinguish the two). On top of that, there have been races in Detroit, Las Vegas and Dallas, but those races have been named after the venue, not the country.

If I'm not mistaken, there was never a United States Grand Prix East. Just the United States Grand Prix West and the United States Grand Prix. Also, again if I'm not mistaken, after Watkins Glen disappeared, Long Beach stayed the United States Grand Prix West.

I think I remember it being referred to as USGP East & included same in my answers also. Could be wrong but here's what Wiki has to say:-

"From 1976 to 1980 the race was called the United States Grand Prix East to differentiate from the United States Grand Prix West held in Long Beach the same years."

We might all be wrong of course, stranger things have happened; but I think you may be right about the "West" designation continuing after The Glen race stopped.

Edit: My Marlboro GP Guides from the time also refer to it as USA GP (East).
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Wizzie wrote:Here's one even I don't know the answer to:

When was the last time that someone lower than 3rd with 3 races to go won a world championship?

Unless I am very much mistaken - Emerson Fittipaldi in 1974:

http://www.f1-facts.com/results/race/19 ... _standings
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
uh_clem

Post by uh_clem »

Here is a trivia question that I don't know the answer to. During the Speed TV F1 broadcasts here in America, Steve Matchett often refers to Jarno Trulli as "the scrumptious one". Does anyone have any idea what he is talking about?
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

He might be refering to his Jordan antics. Maybe.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
coops

Post by coops »

uh_clem wrote:Here is a trivia question that I don't know the answer to. During the Speed TV F1 broadcasts here in America, Steve Matchett often refers to Jarno Trulli as "the scrumptious one". Does anyone have any idea what he is talking about?

It could be a reference to his wine making?
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
uh_clem

Post by uh_clem »

Shizuka wrote:He might be refering to his Jordan antics. Maybe.

Could you tell me what those antics were?
uh_clem

Post by uh_clem »

I did a little searching and found this on another bulletin board: "Truly Scrumptious is a fictional character in the 1968 film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang."
Could this be the answer?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

uh_clem wrote:I did a little searching and found this on another bulletin board: "Truly Scrumptious is a fictional character in the 1968 film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang."

I am sad enough for that to be the first thing that came to my mind without having to look the answer up. :ugeek: :? :?:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
uh_clem wrote:I did a little searching and found this on another bulletin board: "Truly Scrumptious is a fictional character in the 1968 film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang."

I am sad enough for that to be the first thing that came to my mind without having to look the answer up. :ugeek: :? :?:

Hmm, and there was me thinking that it might have been a reference to Trulli's vineyard over in Abruzzo.

It's not the most obvious source of a nickname, but I guess that would be the most likely source (having not watched Speed TV's service, I cannot comment on the colloquialisms used by their presenters).

Now, if nobody else objects, I might throw a little question here into the thread. If anybody feels that anything is too ambiguous, or needs clarification, I can expand on it, but I'll be interested to see if anybody gets it without any further hints.

In 1983, one team designed a car with a very unusual feature which was a throwback to designs from the 1970's. The rest of the car, however, featured a number of innovative and experimental designs, which were unusual for a small team. The car was not initially successful, suffering from reliability problems, but towards the end of the year, a series of aerodynamic tweaks were introduced, and the car was improved enough for the team to score points, and almost enough to overtake Team Lotus in the standings.
For the following year, supply problems meant that the 1983 car had to be re-used for the opening rounds in 1984 before the replacement was ready. The car was given a few updates, and in the hands of a new, promising driver, was capable of scoring points on two occasions before being retired in favour of the new car.

So, my question is this - which car am I talking about, what was the very unusual feature, and who are the two points scoring driver that I am referring to?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Without looking up the answer your talking about the 1983 Toleman (TF183???) in the hands of Derek Warwick and Ayrton Senna. The special feature could be the design of the airbox, or that high, bulky front wing the Toleman had in its early days (I'm thinking of the 1982 British GP when Warwick ran 2nd running on only enough fuel for half the race) but I don't really know if I'm honest.
mario

Post by mario »

Debaser wrote:Without looking up the answer your talking about the 1983 Toleman (TF183???) in the hands of Derek Warwick and Ayrton Senna. The special feature could be the design of the airbox, or that high, bulky front wing the Toleman had in its early days (I'm thinking of the 1982 British GP when Warwick ran 2nd running on only enough fuel for half the race) but I don't really know if I'm honest.

That was very quick - yes, I am talking about the Toleman team, and the TG183B. You are also right about the drivers, as I was referring to Warwick and Senna - Warwick scored 9 points in the final four races (4th, 6th, 5th and 4th respectively), and Giacomelli scored one point, giving the team 10 points in 1983 (just behind Team Lotus, who scored 12 points that year). Senna, meanwhile, finished 6th twice that year in the opening four races (although he did also fail to qualify in the TG183B's last outing at Imola), before the TG184 took over.

So, the only thing left is the unusual feature that I am after, and you are sort of on the right lines when you're talking about some of the more peculiar aerodynamic components.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Which double-world champion made a NASCAR appearance in 1967 at Rockingham, driving a Holman-Moody Ford, qualifying in the midfield and then losing the engine 144 laps into the race?
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Cynon wrote:Which double-world champion made a NASCAR appearance in 1967 at Rockingham, driving a Holman-Moody Ford, qualifying in the midfield and then losing the engine 144 laps into the race?

I do believe you're talking about Jim Clark.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Cynon wrote:Which double-world champion made a NASCAR appearance in 1967 at Rockingham, driving a Holman-Moody Ford, qualifying in the midfield and then losing the engine 144 laps into the race?

Jim Clark?
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Jim Clark is the answer. If I remember rightly, he was very enthusiastic about the chance to race NASCAR, and A.J. Foyt had nothing but good things to say about him!

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

uh_clem wrote:

Hanging with young ladies. :D

Cynon

Post by Cynon »

eagleash wrote:
fjackdaw wrote:
F1000X wrote:[quote="fjackdaw"What do Pedro Lamy, Jacques Villeneuve and Franck Montagny have in common?/quote] The Peugeot 908 HDI-FAP. They've all competed in one at Le Mans.[/quote]

It's a Formula 1 question. Clue - it's not about anything they've done or achieved, something far more superficial than that.

Edit - these are the only drivers I can think of that this applies to, though it may briefly have applied to Sebastian Vettel this year or last.[/quote]

That's not a Formula 1 question, unless they wear a different helmet in other categories. :)[/quote]

Pink on their helmet designs?

mario

Post by mario »

Shizuka wrote:
uh_clem wrote:

Hanging with young ladies. :D

Which driver was it who was caught with a "lady of easy virtue" (you are free to insert your own euphemism here, and I'm sure that many will)? It was a few years back, and if I remember well, they might have lost their seat at the end of the season as a result of this, thanks to the negative publicity from the event.

As for my earlier question about the Toleman, I might as well answer it for those who are interested. Debaser was close when he referred to the bulky front wing, and the reason that the front wing was so bulky was because of the fact that the car had front mounted radiators within the wing section. My comment about a throwback to the 1970's was that front mounted radiators were used in the early to mid 70's, but moved to the sides when more stringent crash protection measures and ground effects made the sidepod mounted radiator much more efficient, both aerodynamically and mechanically.

Unfortunately for the team, that front wing system hampered the car as the front would become less stable at high speed. Eventually, the front wing assembly would be replaced with a more conventional set up.
More about the car here http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/4483 ... -Hart.html
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

mario wrote:
Which driver was it who was caught with a "lady of easy virtue" (you are free to insert your own euphemism here, and I'm sure that many will)? It was a few years back, and if I remember well, they might have lost their seat at the end of the season as a result of this, thanks to the negative publicity from the event.

Tomas Scheckter was hired By Jaaaaaaag as test/reserve driver for 2001 & then fired after being caught bargaining with a prostitute. This was mentioned in the Jaguar thread earlier in the year.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Now I've got a trivia-ish question.

In the nineties, there was a year, where one of the front runner teams got a bit different livery that was very similar to a backmarker team. Both teams were/are based in the same country. Which teams are these? :)

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I think the year is 1993, and the the teams in question are Ferrari and Dallara
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Exactly!

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:I think the year is 1993, and the the teams in question are Ferrari and Dallara

Midland: Poor man's McLaren :P
Spyker: Poor man's Ferrari :P

How that is relevent to the quote is still up in the air...
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Waris

Post by Waris »

dr-baker wrote:

For your consolation, you are not the only one. XD
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Here's a somewhat difficult one:

At the 1997 German Grand Prix Giancarlo Fisichella suffered a puncture in the latter stages of the race which put him out of the race. What postion was he in at the time, what was the source of the debris and how did the source of debris help him earlier in the race?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Wizzie wrote:Here's a somewhat difficult one:

At the 1997 German Grand Prix Giancarlo Fisichella suffered a puncture in the latter stages of the race which put him out of the race. What postion was he in at the time, what was the source of the debris and how did the source of debris help him earlier in the race?

Ran over debris from Magnussen's engine blow up, the smoke from which had enabled him to pass Berger for the lead. Berger re-passed him so he was probably still 2nd?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

eagleash wrote:

Ran over debris from Magnussen's engine blow up, the smoke from which had enabled him to pass Berger for the lead. Berger re-passed him so he was probably still 2nd?

Got it all in one.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Wizzie wrote:
eagleash wrote:

Got it all in one.

Bit too easy to double check, that one. :D
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

eagleash wrote:
Wizzie wrote:
eagleash wrote:Ran over debris from Magnussen's engine blow up, the smoke from which had enabled him to pass Berger for the lead. Berger re-passed him so he was probably still 2nd?

Got it all in one.

A quick search on google or wikipedia is usually enough to answer most trivia questions.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Wizzie wrote:
eagleash wrote:

A quick search on google or wikipedia is usually enough to answer most trivia questions.

If the memory bank fails; it's chuffing useful. :o
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

A little bit of photographical trivia.

Who is the driver at the wheel of the car that appears in the following picture?

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Senna at Monaco in the Toleman right?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Johnny Cecotto?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

redbulljack14 is right.

I brought up that picture because it's usually taken as a picture of Senna that day at Monaco, but it's actually Johnny Cecotto. Look at the rollbar, and you'll see a little piece of the helmet... on red. Senna's helmet was always yellow and included no red, it was Cecotto the one who had red on his. :)

mario

Post by mario »

Ferrim wrote:redbulljack14 is right.

I brought up that picture because it's usually taken as a picture of Senna that day at Monaco, but it's actually Johnny Cecotto. Look at the rollbar, and you'll see a little piece of the helmet... on red. Senna's helmet was always yellow and included no red, it was Cecotto the one who had red on his. :)

It is a quite nice shot - though the cameraman must have been quick, because Cecotto spun out very early on (just after the opening lap, I believe).

Anyway, here's another question, although going much further back in time. It's the first ever United States Grand Prix, and during qualifying, Harry Schell surprisingly qualified in 3rd place, when his previous best time was only good for 11th place. Despite protestations from Ferrari, all the way up to and during the national anthem being sung just before the race started, Schell was allowed to keep his time and 3rd place, demoting Brooks down to 4th.
After the race, however, it was revealed that Brooks had come up with an innovative method for improving his lap time. So, how had he managed to improve his time?
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

mario wrote:
Ferrim wrote:redbulljack14 is right.

It is a quite nice shot - though the cameraman must have been quick, because Cecotto spun out very early on (just after the opening lap, I believe).

Anyway, here's another question, although going much further back in time. It's the first ever United States Grand Prix, and during qualifying, Harry Schell surprisingly qualified in 3rd place, when his previous best time was only good for 11th place. Despite protestations from Ferrari, all the way up to and during the national anthem being sung just before the race started, Schell was allowed to keep his time and 3rd place, demoting Brooks down to 4th.
After the race, however, it was revealed that Brooks had come up with an innovative method for improving his lap time. So, how had he managed to improve his time?

The first USGP was in 1908, probably not the one you meant? The first F1 race was 1959. Schell (not Brooks) cut a hefty section out of the track.

Wiki....quoting from The Grand Prix Carpetbaggers by John Cooper.......which is probably where you found the question.

Qualifying ended with Moss, Brabham and Brooks on the front row, but, overnight, American Harry Schell was given third position, next to Moss and Brabham. The 3:05.2 lap that got Schell on the front row apparently had come at the tail end of the session, and had gone unnoticed by almost everyone; his best time previously had been 3:11.2, good enough for 11th.

" Protests ensued from nearly every other team, most vociferously Ferrari, whose man, Brooks, was displaced on the front row. The shouting match raged even as "The Star-Spangled Banner" was being sung, but when it was through, Schell started from third place.

What had really happened with Schell did not come out until after the race. At Sebring, just beyond the MG bridge and before the esses was a sharp right turn that apparently led nowhere. Schell found, however, that it connected with the end of the Warehouse Straight, bypassing the entire straight and the Warehouse Hairpin. He had secretly cut across and come back on the course during a lull in the traffic--and cut six seconds off his time! Alas, it didn't help him in the race; he was eighth after the first lap and retired after only six."
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Who are these two fine (or not) looking men?

Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Bernie and Max?

But judging by the filename, one of them is Nick Wirth?