2010 Korean GP Discussion thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dr-baker

2010 Korean GP Discussion thread

Post by dr-baker »

It's Wednesday before F1 breaks new ground by going into unchartered territory and racing in a country of F1 Virgins.

And the latest news on Autosport:

Alan Jones to be FIA Driver Steward
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87547

Hermann Tilke says the new surface will be slippery and there will be spins on Friday, but will rubber in so much that Sunday will be very different to Friday, but low risk of track disintegration
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87544

And Toro Rosso will not have an F-duct
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87549
Do I care?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 2010 Korean GP Discussion thread

Post by FullMetalJack »

dr-baker wrote:And Toro Rosso will not have an F-duct
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87549
Do I care?

Does anyone care about Toro Rosso? No.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
patrick

Post by patrick »

Poor STR, imagine telling them in 2008 that they'd be behind Force India in the constructors' in two years time. :lol: I hope they get sold, they just seem so directionless.
Anyway, I hope it'll be a good race, for Korea's sake as well. Also hoping the surface will be hard on the tyres so we get some Canada stlye action!
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

patrick wrote:Poor STR, imagine telling them in 2008 that they'd be behind Force India in the constructors' in two years time. :lol: I hope they get sold, they just seem so directionless.

Sell them to someone who will rechristen them Minardi - that would be fantastic!
Forza Forti
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Pieman wrote:
patrick wrote:Poor STR, imagine telling them in 2008 that they'd be behind Force India in the constructors' in two years time. :lol: I hope they get sold, they just seem so directionless.

Sell them to someone who will rechristen them Minardi - that would be fantastic!

Yeah, and bring back good ol' Pierluigi Martini and Johnny Carwash! That'd be heaven!
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

Anyway, I hope it'll be a good race, for Korea's sake as well. Also hoping the surface will be hard on the tyres so we get some Canada stlye action!

To be honest, evweryone saw it coming (I did, and I'am no prophet to F1). That was Vettel effort and a good bit of wind on the back. But before midseason they were going nowhere.
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
coops

Jonesy For Korea!

Post by coops »

Alan Jones will be the driver rep on the stewards panel for the Korean GP.

Punishments for penalties will, perhaps, include a bang on the lugs or being told you're a bloody wimp.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Re: Jonesy For Korea!

Post by WeirdKerr »

hmmm an australian leads the championship and the drivers steward is the last australian to win the WDC.........hmmmmmmm
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Well, there has been seven races (2x Warwick, 2x Mansell, 2x Herbert, 1x Hill) with British driver steward so...
coops

Post by coops »

Bleu wrote:Well, there has been seven races (2x Warwick, 2x Mansell, 2x Herbert, 1x Hill) with British driver steward so...

And even with all that help they're still going to lose!
-Enzo Ferrari
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Merged the thread on Alan Jones being the steward for Korea.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

5 minutes till the moment of truth.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

This is ridiculous, if SILVERSTONE looked this "ready" there wouldnt have been a british GP this year.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Be happy we have race ffs. This is more like the oldtime-races. I LOVE it!!

Anyway, I really loved the way David Croft said "Sakon Yamamoto" when he went of, and then Ted replied "Oh..." in a "oh, already, hah" way :)
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

But - apart from the obvious readiness-issues - the track looks quite nice. Especially like corners 7 to 10. Hope the very bumby straights are long enough to allow for some overtaking. Because I can't imagine that to happen anywhere else than in corners 1 to 3.

re: BBC/Yamamoto - didn't he actually say "we expected this" ? :D
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

5Live fuelling rumour of Hulkenberg being replaced at Williams by Adrian Sutil.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

Myrvold wrote:Be happy we have race ffs. This is more like the oldtime-races. I LOVE it!!

Anyway, I really loved the way David Croft said "Sakon Yamamoto" when he went of, and then Ted replied "Oh..." in a "oh, already, hah" way :)

I'm not happy we have a race, its totally screwed up my F1 Finals thing :P.
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

ADx_Wales wrote:5Live fuelling rumour of Hulkenberg being replaced at Williams by Adrian Sutil.

.... Why?
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

Hulkenburg says he doesnt want to fund his seat at Williams and prove his worth through driving.
Sutil Has Medion backing, and also a "Fruits" drink company.
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

People have often reacted to the Quote Ayrton Senna said about his nephew, but what everyone missed was "If you think I'm fast, you should see my nephew in a Hispania, then you'll realise I'm the only fast one"
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Senna has stopped on track, what happened?
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

Right Rear Wheel/Suspension Failiure, not clarified.
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

The F1 2010 Game Version of this layout was awful, and that was better than this...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

ADx_Wales wrote:Hulkenburg says he doesnt want to fund his seat at Williams and prove his worth through driving.
Sutil Has Medion backing, and also a "Fruits" drink company.

Capri Sun

On the track, man I love that final long corner surrounded by the walls and that final kink! Brilliant design! :)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

Here's something I didnt realise...

Thanks to Karun Chandhok's finishing places in the HRTs, They are AHEAD of Virgin in the standings!

Hispania ARE NOT LAST!!!
patrick

Post by patrick »

The track looks good, but the tyres do seem to be getting pretty worn. Obviously times won't be 100% representative (Crofty was saying possible 1.38s by the end of saturday) but the McLarens do look fast and there were some happy faces on the pitwall.
The one driver to (always) watch this weekend will be Kubica, he was instantly on it and throwing the car around on his installation lap where others were crawling around. For some reason I've had a good feeling about Kubica and Korea all year and while second in fp1 might not be instantly representative, I think he's going to be frankly awesome.
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

ADx_Wales wrote:The F1 2010 Game Version of this layout was awful, and that was better than this...

Oh, come one! it's nice, the only thing revolting are kerbs, there's no way I end a race there without spinning at a hairpin exit twice or three times.
patrick

Post by patrick »

Another interesting thing is the speed trap figures which put Renault up with McLaren and around 10kph faster than Red Bull and Ferrari. Renault must have done a great job on their F-Duct!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

FP2 gets red-flagged because of an incident at turn 17. Sounds like a repeat of the debut event at Singapore to me...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Looks like this will be a fun weekend for HRT...
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
coops

Post by coops »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Merged the thread on Alan Jones being the steward for Korea.

Smooth operator.
-Enzo Ferrari
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

FP2 results

Kubica, please... win this one?

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
mario

Post by mario »

Shizuka wrote:FP2 results

Kubica, please... win this one?

It would be impressive if he could, but I think that as the race weekend goes on, he might slip back from the leading drivers. One of the great strengths of his car this year has been the excellent rear traction, which is a big advantage where the track is slippery - Monaco, for example.
Now, the very early running is almost going to be a bit like driving in the rain, since mchanical grip will be reduced, and variable (depending on the amount of dust on the track), so it was not surprising to see those drivers who do well in mixed conditions further up the grid. However, as the track rubbers in, it is going to become more like a normal circuit, like, say, Hockenheim, where the advantages of downforce outweight that of a brave driver and good mechanical grip.
I can still see him being fairly high up the grid, and potentially taking points off Button, and perhaps a few others, but might just not be able to make up the deficit to make it onto the top step.

On another note, according to a tweet by Legard, Mclaren are happy with the tests that they have been running on their new rear wing (the one they brought to Japan, but didn't use in the race). Designed to stall the entire wing (whereas most designs stall either the upper or lower element, but not both), it should help Mclaren even more down the straights (although it seems that Michael Schumacher has been fastest down the straights as he is running a fairly low downforce setting).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Makes me wonder how Vettel will cope with the conditions. Yes, he's had victories in the pouring rain, but he isn't my first choice in changing conditions.

Ferraris quite slow for now. I reckon they're only using about three cylinders, to try and squeeze more mileage out of those engines. Let's see what happens in Qualy, when Fernando turns on the wick.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/oc ... -circus-f1

An article in The Guardian today which talks about the facilities in Korea. For one person to describe it as "A bit like a very run-down, seedy Blackpool" makes me think he hasn't been to Blackpool in about four decades.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

HRT have been fined and reprimanded for releasing Sakon Yamamoto with a tyre blanket still attached and then going to retrieve it from the pit lane exit...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87621
MCard LOLA
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

Sorry , but young-man or whatever its called makes blackpool look like bathplugging las vegas.
coops

Post by coops »

dr-baker wrote:HRT have been fined and reprimanded for releasing Sakon Yamamoto with a tyre blanket still attached and then going to retrieve it from the pit lane exit...

:lol:
TV producers should play the Laurel & Hardy music everytime they cut to a HRT car or the garage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNjPgE1muTM
-Enzo Ferrari
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

ADx_Wales wrote:Sorry , but young-man or whatever its called makes blackpool look like bathplugging las vegas.

To me it's more chewing-gum than young-man
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

coops wrote:
dr-baker wrote:HRT have been fined and reprimanded for releasing Sakon Yamamoto with a tyre blanket still attached and then going to retrieve it from the pit lane exit...

:lol:
TV producers should play the Laurel & Hardy music everytime they cut to a HRT car or the garage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNjPgE1muTM

Nah, don't you mean Benny Hill?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dbueo45 ... re=related
MCard LOLA