The title fight thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ed24

Re: The title fight thread

Post by Ed24 »

For the record, I'm supporting Webber as well. I've followed him his whole career, and I hope he can get it done.

redbulljack14 wrote:Jenson's already nearing 200 races, and he's only 30. I reckon he'll overtake Rubens Barrichello's record eventually.

I don't know, I get the feeling Button might retire when he leaves McLaren, rather than going back into the midfield - so I don't think he'll get there.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

James1978 wrote:I don't know why but I always considered Webber more impressive at Minardi in 2002 than Alonso was in 2001. I know the Australia 5th place was lucky, but he was mixing it with Jaguars/BARs/Toyotas/Arrows and the like quite regularly. Whereas I can only recall Alonso doing it once (Japan).

I got the impression that the Minardi car was more competitive in '02 which is possibly why Webber seemed so good behind the wheel. It's not like Webber's teammate (Alex Yoong) was going to be competitive anyway either so it made Webber's performances all the more impressive.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

My preferred championship contenders are, in order, Webber, Button, Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso. Much as I like it when new people win, I just get a feeling that we'll be sick of Vettel winning championships soon (mind you, I thought the same about Raikkonen), so I'd rather see Button do the double to confound his critics. Not that it's going to happen, of course...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I always assumed that the large Webber support on here were the Australians being keen and the influence of the Aussie founders of F1 Rejects. But I have always supported one British driver at a time and continue with that driver through their career. So In 1992, I supported Mansell. He left for the States so my support went to Hill in his first full season (even after Mansell's brief return - brief enough to not cause my Hill support to waver). After Hill's retirement in 1999, I then switched to Button, again having his first full season the following year. Hense why I would prefer a Button victory over a Lewis one. But I wouldn't mind a Webber victory, more than Alonso or Vettel. But my loyalty to any specific British driver may be streched if Anthony Davidson returns, or Damon's son Josh enters F1.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

James1978 wrote:I don't know why but I always considered Webber more impressive at Minardi in 2002 than Alonso was in 2001. I know the Australia 5th place was lucky, but he was mixing it with Jaguars/BARs/Toyotas/Arrows and the like quite regularly. Whereas I can only recall Alonso doing it once (Japan).

Alonso did as well. The most famous example was Barcelona, apart from Japan. He also qualified 18th a lot of times.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

BabyG wrote:I have a feeling that a failed Ferrari engine may take the title away from Alonso, just as one handed the 2006 WDC to him. Is it posible for an engine to last the rest of the season?

I know this is off-topic, but I don't like when people talk about the engine that handed Alonso the 2006 title, without mentioning that he also lost an engine a Monza a couple of races earlier, when he was running 3rd.

Another off-topic: to me at least, if Alonso wins it by less than 7 points then it will vindicate the use of team orders. "See, it gave us the title", will Ferrari say.

And a final off-topic: my nickname may suggest I'm a Ferrari fan. I am not.

Back on topic: as much as I want Webber to take it, I fear it will be either Alonso (I told you I'm not a Ferrari fan!) or Vettel.

BTW, Korea is the first eliminatory race: both McLaren drivers are at a risk of losing their title chances. And Red Bull have a shot at the constructors: they need to score 41 points more than McLaren. That means finishing 1-2 and only a McLaren car scoring points, 9th place at best. So not likely, but possible.

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

dr-baker wrote:I always assumed that the large Webber support on here were the Australians being keen and the influence of the Aussie founders of F1 Rejects.

Personally - and I think this goes for a lot of F1 fans too - I don't support drivers based on nationality. They're all individual people to me, I don't care where they from. I support Jenson because I like the guy not because I'm British; I also support Barrichello, Rosberg, Webber, Kobyashi, etc. I don't care if Mark's an Aussie or not, I just think it would be exciting if he won.
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

dr-baker wrote:I always assumed that the large Webber support on here were the Australians being keen and the influence of the Aussie founders of F1 Rejects.

Nah, not because he's aussie but because of all the hard work and bad luck.
Doing it hard to get into F1 at all, a bit of a fairy tale to go from years of driving back markers to be WDC contender.
Getting 5th in a minardi (though it was a race of attrition)
Alonso went to renault, webber went to jag, poor guy, 'nuf said
He always out drove the car, did good quali usually, and beat team mates usually.
Webber drove for williams, I have a soft spot for any driver who went to williams
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

pablo_h wrote:Webber drove for williams, I have a soft spot for any driver who went to williams

Does that include Piquet sr, Coulthardt and Mansell too? :P
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

Should I say "yes", or should I add the qualifier I only started following F1 in about 1998? Edit: so I only followed williams in their hard years and missed the glory, but still liked them.
FOM shut all videos on youtube and the like down, and I have stuff all history available to me really. I did join a certain site back in 2007 but my account got deleted because I was off living life and didn't check in for 3 months.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

DonTirri wrote:
pablo_h wrote:Webber drove for williams, I have a soft spot for any driver who went to williams

Does that include Piquet sr, Coulthardt and Mansell too? :P

Why, yes. Especially Our Nige.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

pablo_h wrote:

Webber drove for williams, I have a soft spot for any driver who went to williams

Ok, I sai that I ssumed what I said, seems like I was wrong to assume that.

And maybe the Williams link also explains why I prefer Jenson to Lewis, and supported Mansell in 1992, and Hill thereafter.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dr-baker wrote:
pablo_h wrote:

Ok, I sai that I ssumed what I said, seems like I was wrong to assume that.

And maybe the Williams link also explains why I prefer Jenson to Lewis, and supported Mansell in 1992, and Hill thereafter.

I prefer Jenson just because he seems more likeable and we didn't have Jensationalism shoved down our throats like we did with Lewisteria in 2007-08
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Horner says the team won't interfere in the title fight.

I can't really believe Horner. What about you?

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Shizuka wrote:Horner says the team won't interfere in the title fight.

I can't really believe Horner. What about you?

I believe the team would like to, but that Mark's recent form and resolve, plus the perceived backlash it would bring about if the word gets out that Vettel was being benefited will be enough to preclude it.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Three races to go. Should we write the McLarens off?

Noseman thinks so. He reckons it's between Webber and Alonso. Sebastian who?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

As has been said already, it has been looking like Webber's year, and in terms of his career and position in the team, it's likely to be his best chance he'll ever get to be World Driver's Champion. But he's in a position where he has to be bold, reach out and grab it. If not, there's no doubt in my mind Alonso and Vettel will step in.

It's pointless writing off the McLaren drivers just yet because it's F1 and sh*t happens.
Eryx

Who deserves this title...

Post by Eryx »

Well im very much a man who believes that the man who makes the least mistakes deserves the title...so heres the list of the people who deserve the championship in order of first to last.

1.Mark Webber - Well be honest,i maybe English but it makes no difference,the calm aussie man (thus far) has made to my view no mistakes, Hes been cursed with rubbish drives almost his entire career and deserves a title as hes fought like hell and showed a brilliant amount of bravery. 9/10

Webber and Jenson deserve it on the same level.

2.Jenson Button - Well Jenson in dry conditions maybe the slowest of 5 but thats what makes Jenson a good title contender because he uses tatics and not speed, he has made no mistakes and lets face it the 3 times hes retired this season is due to 1.Monaco (his mechanics failure) 2.Spa (Vettels fault) and 3.Japan (teams fault) Who knows how and where Jenson could have been! he could be 1st,second third. 9/10

3.Sebastian Vettel - Sebs form at the start of the season was superb unfortunately he was just let down by his car been so utterly fragile, However the fact hes crashed into Jenson made allot and i mean ALLOT of mistakes kind of doesnt give him a deserved championship 4/10

4.Lewis Hamilton - Well Lewis looked to be 1st in this until i realised his 2 straight races in which he made a stupid mistake and then another he doesnt really deserve it he may have decent speed but not enough credit 3/10

5.Fernando Alonso - Personally i take the horrible/nice approach when i talk about this guy (no offence to his fans) i believe fernando is talentd without a shadow of a doubt but he would be high in deserving this championship if it wasnt for Germany...much like Schumi in 2002 if Alonso wins this championship how can he look at it a "deserved" championship (Its why i dont think Schumi is the best driver ever) When Jenson won in 2009 he scored in every single race apart from Spa when he was knocked out. So Jensons Championship is deserved...but if Vettel,Hamilton or Alonso won it i will not think of them as deserved champions more...lucky sods! LOL 0/10
Beauty is in the eye of the Badoer. :D
dr-baker

Re: Who deserves this title...

Post by dr-baker »

I agree entirely with the order of these drivers, except maybe for swapping Vettel and Lewis around.
MCard LOLA
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Jenson finished in Japan...
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Everyone except Alonso. Unless he gives everyone else six points (or volunteers to have six taken away from his own tally).
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

7 points? :)
J Washburn Stoker

Post by J Washburn Stoker »

I reject the premise that there is a 'deserving' driver other than the one with the most points after the last race (cheating aside).
“The only way that engineer’s message could have been any scarier would have been if it had been delivered in the dark.”
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Myrvold wrote:7 points? :)

Yes, seven points. My mistake. If he wins by eight points or more, then I guess I can live with it. But I think that is very unlikely, because the racing is so close. The World Champion is supposed to be the best driver on the grid. If Alonso couldn't get past Massa without Ferrari telling Massa to move over for him, then that suggests Alonso is not the best and therefore undeserving. It will have also ruined a brilliant season of racing as Ferrari will have essentially bought a World Championship - and for just $100,000.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
J Washburn Stoker

Post by J Washburn Stoker »

I still think that scenario will justify it as having been a genuine and necessary strategic decision. Otherwise it's just a dick move.
“The only way that engineer’s message could have been any scarier would have been if it had been delivered in the dark.”
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Oh, nothing justifies it. Nothing ever justifies it. But if Alonso wins because of what happened in Germany, its really going to suck. The best season of racing in nearly twenty years will have been ruined by Ferrari.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Merged Eryx's thread with this.

I refused to get up and watch the Japanese GP live after a Red Bull lock-out of the front row, but tomorrow it'll be different. The Red Bulls have been .5 sec slower than the Mercs, McLarens and Ferraris in the first sector. Vettel, Alonso and Rosberg will have grip off the line - Webber, Hamilton and Massa will not. So much can happen braking into turn 3 - this could actually be the moment that decides this Championship!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Merged Eryx's thread with this.

I refused to get up and watch the Japanese GP live after a Red Bull lock-out of the front row, but tomorrow it'll be different. The Red Bulls have been .5 sec slower than the Mercs, McLarens and Ferraris in the first sector. Vettel, Alonso and Rosberg will have grip off the line - Webber, Hamilton and Massa will not. So much can happen braking into turn 3 - this could actually be the moment that decides this Championship!

You almost get the feeling that someting is going to happen between Vettel and Alonso don't you? And if it does Rosberg could be well on his way to his maiden victory whuch means I have to have Nazi Schumi as my avatar... :|
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

If, come the last race, one of BUT, WEB, HAM or VET moves over for their team-mate will the title be undeserved?
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

eagleash wrote:If, come the last race, one of BUT, WEB, HAM or VET moves over for their team-mate will the title be undeserved?

The man with the most points deservedly wins it. Always.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
eagleash wrote:If, come the last race, one of BUT, WEB, HAM or VET moves over for their team-mate will the title be undeserved?

You have an awful lot of faith in the system. I have too much doubt to accept anything like that at face value.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

CarlosFerreira wrote:

Seconded!
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

thehemogoblin wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

You have an awful lot of faith in the system. I have too much doubt to accept anything like that at face value.

I say that for politics, and stuff - things that deserve my full attention. Formula 1? The man with the most points wins.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

J Washburn Stoker wrote:I still think that scenario will justify it as having been a genuine and necessary strategic decision.

+1000

Live with it.

eagleash wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

Seconded!

Thirded!

Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

No one complained about Massa 07. No one complained about Raikkonen 08, no one complained about Heidfeld 08 or 10. There is a difference in moving over, on the orders from the team in the middle of the season, and helping your teammate in the last or second to last race when you don't have a chance to win yourself, and without the damn orders during the race. I don't care if a driver take the decision himself, but not the way it was done in Germany.
(Heidfeld thing is Canada 08, and Suzuka 10)
coops

Post by coops »

Captain Hammer wrote: The best season of racing in nearly twenty years will have been ruined by Ferrari.

Says you who doesnt even have an avatar.

I take your point but I wouldnt say its ruined the spectacle, the races are still what they are. If anything its for the Alonso/Ferrari fans to feel a bit deflated if the title goes their way. They can hardly run around going "IN YOUR FACE!!" at the rest of us, can they?
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
Eryx

Post by Eryx »

can i just note to mryvold

I didnt mean what i said on Jenson as neccesary retirements, i mean just screw ups by other people retirements arent 100% offit...but in response to the people who say "Man who has most points wins" granted yes i see what u mean,but i ment as a deserved championship not a point scoring championship who DESERVES it a man who fights and makes no mistakes deserves it see :)
Beauty is in the eye of the Badoer. :D
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

A prediction: Webber is going to win the final race in Abu Dhabi when Vettel is asked by Redbull to let him past for the key points to beat Alonso, only to have himself, or the entire team excluded from the championship, handing it to Alonso and Ferrari. This will then prompt the greatest forum war of all time over the inconsistency of stewardship, the legality of team orders, and the favoritism of Ferrari by the FIA. Many a thread will be locked, and temporary bans will be handed out.

Vettel in a display of complete disgust for his team will violate his contract with Redbull and sign with Ferrari, who gladly release Massa of his contract with a big payoff. Vettel will race the entire season in the midst of bitter legal dispute with Redbull, while Ferrari gleefully handle his legal fees. Vettel will be branded with the nickname Darth Vader by some, as critics agree his transfer from Redbull to Ferrari in a fit of anger is akin to Anakin Skywalker crossing over to the dark side.

Massa will join Webber at Redbull, where he will enjoy a massive surge in popularity now being freed of the Ferrari stigma.

Alonso will be anointed the true heir to Nelson Piquet's legacy by fulfilling his role as the undisputedly talented a**hole with 3 championships.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

F1000X wrote:A prediction: Webber is going to win the final race in Abu Dhabi when Vettel is asked by Redbull to let him past for the key points to beat Alonso, only to have himself, or the entire team excluded from the championship, handing it to Alonso and Ferrari. This will then prompt the greatest forum war of all time over the inconsistency of stewardship, the legality of team orders, and the favoritism of Ferrari by the FIA. Many a thread will be locked, and temporary bans will be handed out.

Vettel in a display of complete disgust for his team will violate his contract with Redbull and sign with Ferrari, who gladly release Massa of his contract with a big payoff. Vettel will race the entire season in the midst of bitter legal dispute with Redbull, while Ferrari gleefully handle his legal fees. Vettel will be branded with the nickname Darth Vader by some, as critics agree his transfer from Redbull to Ferrari in a fit of anger is akin to Anakin Skywalker crossing over to the dark side.

Massa will join Webber at Redbull, where he will enjoy a massive surge in popularity now being freed of the Ferrari stigma.

Alonso will be anointed the true heir to Nelson Piquet's legacy by fulfilling his role as the undisputedly talented a**hole with 3 championships.

In all fairness I can see the FIA excluding Ferrari as well giving Hamilton a 2nd world title (Not that I particually like the guy and all...)

But other then that you're pretty much on the right track. Are you Dr Who by any chance? :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Wizzie wrote:
In all fairness I can see the FIA excluding Ferrari as well giving Hamilton a 2nd world title (Not that I particually like the guy and all...)

But other then that you're pretty much on the right track. Are you Dr Who by any chance? :lol:

What are Ferrari to have done wrong in this fantasy scenario? (The Germany matter is closed).