Rantbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
mario

Re: Rantbox

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
coops wrote:
Klon wrote:each team in F1 would race under a different flag, a true world championship.

We've had that. It didnt live up to expectations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A1_Grand_Prix

It lived up to my expectations. Its problem is that it didn't meet the expectations of its investors (i.e. didn't make a profit quickly enough).

The other main problem was that the series didn't live up to the expectations, or the pre-conceived ideas of the press. The problem is, modern motorsports are generally focussed around the personalities and qualities of a driver. The marketing of the teams often revolves around their drivers - not just in Formula 1 (e.g. Sebastian Loeb in the World rally Championship) - and the media likes to look at the human drama of drivers fighting against each other, both on and off the track. For a number of fans, it is much more involving to be cheering for a driver first, and a team second, since it is easier in a way to identify with an individual compared to a company.

A1GP didn't really fit the bill in that respect, since it was about nations racing - so the image of the driver was, ultimately, subsumed by that of the team he raced for. Additionally, there is the problem that, when it comes to single seater racing, Formula 1 is so high profile in Europe, Australasia and the Americas that any other form of single seater racing is effectively driven out. And if you want to compete in the open wheeler market, there are a lot of rival operations, a number of which have major backing from either manufacturers or from the FIA and FOM - GP2, for example. The A1GP teams really didn't have that much of a public character beyond the national branding, and being a spec series, the cars had no more of an individual character either.
Moreover, being a privately financed series, the lack of any major recognisable brands would have made the series even less prominent to a casual fan - there is no familiar name to 'hook' you and make you interested in the series. Coupled to that, Teixeira's reputation was not great, if we are honest, and that did not help dispel fears about funding (and given later allegations of financial impropriety, might have driven away funding), and the track listing wasn't always the best - they didn't use many high profile tracks.

All in all, whilst it may have been a nice idea (although I prefer a sport where talent does not have to be constrained by nationality in an artificial way, like the A1GP series), it wasn't going to be easy to establish the series as a credible rival to existing major motorsport series, like Formula 1, the Le Mans series and so forth (as the organisers wanted to pitch it as a world class event, on a level with those series).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

ADx_Wales wrote:What then ruined it was the Ferrari afiliation. Expecting the 360 engine from the GT2 cars to be in each of the 2004 F1 lookalike, they ended up with the Road going 360 engine, which meant the car was SLOWER than the Lola-Zytek from the first 3 seasons.... that and the drivers were awful (Team GB, DAN CLARKE, I rest my case).

This I agree with, and thought almost from the moment they made the decision. The series wasn't making money in the first three seasons, and I thought the Ferrari costs might cripple them. It did. Wonder how it might have turned out if they stuck with the Lolas? Like Formula Palmer Audi, I would suspect.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
coops

Post by coops »

Why in TV shows do people always come round at the same time? For example, if a shuttle crash lands in Star Trek and everyone gets a knock on the head why do they all wake up shaking their heads at the same point later. As if theres a universal amount of time for KO's.

I know this has nothing to do with F1 but I felt like ranting about it.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

coops wrote:Why in TV shows do people always come round at the same time? For example, if a shuttle crash lands in Star Trek and everyone gets a knock on the head why do they all wake up shaking their heads at the same point later. As if theres a universal amount of time for KO's.

I know this has nothing to do with F1 but I felt like ranting about it.

One of the most interesting pieces of research I've read recently (instead of doing my own research... :? ) mentioned the same fact when applied to catastrophes. You'd expect catastrophes to be normally distributed in time and space, and actually they tend to come in clusters, apparently without things being related. The maths was extremely complex (i.e., I didn't get it) but the punchline was, if you get hit by an earthquake, chances are in a couple of weeks a typhoon will come along to help matters.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Some people need a punch in the face.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

ADx_Wales wrote:Some people need a punch in the face.

Or a bullet in each kneecap.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Bernie makes a lot of sense.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Bernie makes a lot of sense.

When?
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Warren Hughes wrote:

When?

Most of the time.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Warren Hughes wrote:

When?

Most of the time.

I hope that's sarcasm.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Cynon wrote:I hope that's sarcasm.

Maybe he's saying that because Bernie told Colin Kolles to go home.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Toro Rosso are now the most boring team in F1 since Toyota's departure. Although nobody can be as dull as Toyota.
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

redbulljack14 wrote:Toro Rosso are now the most boring team in F1 since Toyota's departure.

Pretty sad considering they used to be Minardi in a past life.
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Warren Hughes wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:Toro Rosso are now the most boring team in F1 since Toyota's departure.

Pretty sad considering they used to be Minardi in a past life.

The only thing that makes it look boring to me is that it's the Red Bull junior team. And even then it's only because no other teams have separate "junior" teams in F1.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

This generic music at the end of each podium ceremony must be replaced with this; we would see much more action.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Klon wrote:This generic music at the end of each podium ceremony must be replaced with this; we would see much more action.

"We are sorry, this content is not available in your country."

Gee, thanks.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
Klon wrote:This generic music at the end of each podium ceremony must be replaced with this; we would see much more action.

"We are sorry, this content is not available in your country."

Gee, thanks.

Ah, stop being a crybaby, I have that quote like ALL the time here in Germany, so... :D
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

redbulljack14 wrote:Toro Rosso are now the most boring team in F1 since Toyota's departure. Although nobody can be as dull as Toyota.

Just like Toyota, they have a driver who overstayed his welcome in F1 with Buemi, and a guy who needs to shape up in the way of lots of points to deserve his seat next year in Alguersuari.

But unlike Toyota, they have what looks like menstrual blood on the nose of the car!
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

just play this instead of radio messages, it'll work
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:

just play this instead of radio messages, it'll work

When I was young, and first discovered that F1 drivers had radios in the car, I thought they had FM radios in the car, and I imagined Johnny Herbert spending the whole GP listening to Johnny B. Goode...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I don't know why but I just imagined Kimi Raikkonen doing kareoke with that song on a Saturday night...
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Just because you now talk into the camera when the news on the BBC's pre-race coverage suggests your staying at Ferrari for 2011 doesn't mean youve had your nuts removed by Ferrari, Felipe.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Why do we even have Marshalls if the drivers are always putting out the fire on the cars themselves? :D
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Why did the race had to be postponed for AN HOUR????? GAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
coops

Post by coops »

JeremyMcClean wrote:Why did the race had to be postponed for AN HOUR????? GAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

There was a bit of rain and a couple of girly drivers didnt like it.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Tilke, Ecclestone, and the race organizers all need to be shot in the bathplug head. You money grubbing idiots. You call that a track. You call that a race. You're making NASCAR's management look brilliant you clowns.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

did someone pull the bathplugging bath plug out the sky.......
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Marshalling in these new races is terrible, and the planning for accidents and unusual situations is non-existant.

Someone tell me, as Klon pointed out, why Vettel had to put his own engine fire out?

And why was Buemi left to walk away from his Toro Rosso at the end of the longest straight in F1 in slippery conditions with absolutely no help or direction from the stewards?

Why does it take a lap and a half to retrieve a front wing from the side of the track?

And why when half of your circuit is surrounded by walls like a street track, are there no provisions for cranes?

One day something nasty will happen, and it won't be the drivers' fault, or a lack of safety and protection from the car. It will be down to the gross negligence of the circuit owners and directors, and more importantly the incompetent stewards.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Heidfeld should have been in the Sauber seat since the beginning of the season. He has the same points in 3 races than De La Rosa managed in 14 races.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I felt sorry for Vettel for the first time, when his engine blew up in Korea.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

Bloody Alonso , ten races ago he was all "I can still win the title" and we were all like "pssht stop dreaming", and NOW, look at him, smug b...b.....b....
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CarlosFerreira wrote:I felt sorry for Vettel for the first time, when his engine blew up in Korea.

I didn't. I was disappointed he didn't take Alonso out with him...
MCard LOLA
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Come to think of it the Korean Grand Prix wasn't actually that great... sure it was one of the better races this season but I mean other then Button being pathetic we didn't see any randomisation of the form-chart this season did we?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Wizzie wrote:Come to think of it the Korean Grand Prix wasn't actually that great... sure it was one of the better races this season but I mean other then Button being pathetic we didn't see any randomisation of the form-chart this season did we?

Sutil being quite rejectful?
Liuzzi actually driving well?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

redbulljack14 wrote:
Wizzie wrote:Come to think of it the Korean Grand Prix wasn't actually that great... sure it was one of the better races this season but I mean other then Button being pathetic we didn't see any randomisation of the form-chart this season did we?

Well to be honest Liuzzi is actually half decent in wet conditions other than in China this year and the Ring back in 07. (Both his 6th places have come in wet conditions and he nearly did was Sebastian Vettel could not in Japan 07 and actually score points until he got penalised.) It's just that all his teammates other than Speed have been wet weather masters.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Wizzie wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:

Well to be honest Liuzzi is actually half decent in wet conditions other than in China this year and the Ring back in 07. (Both his 6th places have come in wet conditions and he nearly did was Sebastian Vettel could not in Japan 07 and actually score points until he got penalised.) It's just that all his teammates other than Speed have been wet weather masters.

To be fair, Speed did look good for points in China 2006 for a while.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Why is there no condom advertising in F1? I mean we have sponsors producing everything in there, but none of these. The last time it failed was 1977. And the HRT livery works well enough for Billy Boy.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Klon wrote:Why is there no condom advertising in F1? I mean we have sponsors producing everything in there, but none of these. The last time it failed was 1977. And the HRT livery works well enough for Billy Boy.

I'd laugh if Durex started sponsoring the Virgin team. That would be the ultimate in funny.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

redbulljack14 wrote:
Klon wrote:Why is there no condom advertising in F1? I mean we have sponsors producing everything in there, but none of these. The last time it failed was 1977. And the HRT livery works well enough for Billy Boy.

I'd laugh if Durex started sponsoring the Virgin team. That would be the ultimate in funny.

Yeah, it would be bloody funny alright.
Okay, I took it too far, sorry.
Waris

Post by Waris »

I really wish Jacques Villeneuve wouldn't have been fired by BMW Sauber in 2006.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS