Panderbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Panderbox

Post by Nuppiz »

Yes, this is the only F1-themed forum where I'm a member (not counting GPM2World as it's based on the game and real F1 is only a minor part of it). I joined these forums practically in the very beginning (not many posts had been made when I joined). I had already become pretty bored of F1, but joining this site rejuvenated my interest in this sport. During my time here I've learned a lot from what's happening behind the scenes and the most recent news concerning F1 without having to visit other sites. Although I don't contribute much here (having a relatively low post count and only started a couple of topics), I do read these forums every day when I have the possiility to do so. One of the things that I'm really glad about is the friendliness and good humour of the members; I've rarely seen a fight between this forum's members, and they usually end quite quickly. No-one's deliberately causing trouble here, unlike some sites I've visited.

And the age question: I was born in 1991.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

20, and only just ;)

It's the same for me, it's the only F1 forum I frequent, simply because as well as being good humoured and pleasant, it's informative and has taught me a hell of a lot about the sport, even though I knew a fair bit already before joining. :)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

I've only just turned 18 and this forum is by far the most enjoyable and the most insightful that I visit (I only visit two, but never mind). Only watching Peep Show and The Thick of It give me as many laughs as this forum does, and they're only on for a few weeks every year. Now we've vanquished the spammers this forum is a delight - lets keep it that way folks.
TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

coops wrote:Im naming no names but there are quite a few that I really enjoy reading but they only seem to post once in a while.

Agreed. ;)

Don't get me started on anybody associated with doing the community podcasts (excluding Adx_Wales and kostas22). ;)

I can't speak for anybody else but I know that I won't add a post to a thread unless I can say something useful that somebody hasn't already said themselves. Getting in before Mario is an important part of this. :) But it's that sort of self-control by every user that actually makes every post on here worth reading, instead of a self-replicating snowball of spam.

BTW, this is the only F1 forum I'm part of and I'm 27 (28 next Tuesday).
Last edited by TimmyB on 25 Oct 2010, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

just like in everything ,also my age is average (almost 24) :P
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

This is the only non-dead forum that I actually make posts in fairly often, despite my relatively low knowledge of F1 (all hail the V8s!)

Oh, and I'm 15, so that might explain it.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Haha, nice to see I am smack dab on the middle of the age spectrum. I was born in the year of the great Senna/Prost dominance aka 1988 which makes me 22 years old... AS OF TODAY!
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Porrima

Post by Porrima »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote: the Dali lama and Charles Manson.

Ah, the Dali Lama, painter of surrealist buddhism.

More to the point, this is a good forum with good people. I would very much hope Reject criteria and rejectdom as defined here were commonly known around F1 by viewvers and announcers both. It would make F1 better.
It's sad to notice something reject-related in a race, wait for announcers to comment on it, which doesn't happen, and then remember that oh, yeah.. to the masses unrejectifying is an unknown concept. Sad, really.
coops

Post by coops »

And goodnight.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I seem to be a similar age to several other users on here, being in my mid-to late twenties (28...). And I will be thirty on the closing day of the 2012 London Olympics.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

15 here and about a month and a half older than TMLW :P
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

11 over here, but 12 on the 28th. :(
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

I will say, the community we have here is an eccentric lot of just about everything. And it makes for a wonderful community.

Really, thank you all for not being antagonistic pricks, like so many places on the Internet. It's refreshing to get hilarious, civil discourse over sporting events.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

thehemogoblin wrote:I will say, the community we have here is an eccentric lot of just about everything. And it makes for a wonderful community.

Really, thank you all for not being antagonistic pricks, like so many places on the Internet. It's refreshing to get hilarious, civil discourse over sporting events.

I just want to make my first post in about a month to say; I concur.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

shinji wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:I will say, the community we have here is an eccentric lot of just about everything. And it makes for a wonderful community.

I just want to make my first post in about a month to say; I concur.

Where have ye been, shinji-san?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I'm well above the average age, indeed I'm older than everyone apart from coops who's said their age (I'm 32)!!!!!

(Indeed, I'm thinking soon, the whole F1 field will be younger than me - there's only Schumacher, Barrichello, Trulli, Heidfeld and Webber left who are older than me - at least De la Rosa got replaced by Heidfeld and not someone even younger!) :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Phoenix wrote:I will turn 18 in a bit less than a month.

Pretty much the same age as me, except i'm 18 in just over 2 months
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

I'm 21 and hating every bit of it.
Oddly enough, it seems as if its the webmasters the oldest blokes around here. Bar eagleash of course. ;)
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

I'm going to give my age in the form of who was champion at the time I was born (not because i'm massively old and want to be all cryptic and that, but just because, I dunno, it seems more fun. Is that dreary? Probably).

Aaaaanyway, Jody Sheckter
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
RAK

Post by RAK »

21 here, as with many others. I'm no stranger to internet forums, and I'm well-qualified to say that this is one of the best out there. It's something to do with the subject matter of the forum; because we cheer for the underdogs, we're less likely to post vitriol. As well as that, by not just hopping on the top-team bandwagons, and actually paying attention to the runners at the back of the grid, we probably pick up more technical knowledge than a lot of Formula One fans by default. Having people like Mario, who has a strong grounding in the technical side of things, posting here helps as well.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

dr-baker wrote:Where have ye been, shinji-san?

School just exploded with work. Doing a musical and the school magazine too, so couldn't find time for much internet.

Jordan192 wrote:I'm going to give my age in the form of who was champion at the time I was born (not because i'm massively old and want to be all cryptic and that, but just because, I dunno, it seems more fun. Is that dreary? Probably).

For me, Michael Schumacher.

I could be 16, or 6.

Edit: As I think about it, it was actually Prost in May '94.
Last edited by shinji on 25 Oct 2010, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

shinji wrote:

School just exploded with work. Doing a musical and the school magazine too, so couldn't find time for much internet.

Jordan192 wrote:I'm going to give my age in the form of who was champion at the time I was born (not because i'm massively old and want to be all cryptic and that, but just because, I dunno, it seems more fun. Is that dreary? Probably).

I could be 16, or 6.

You're 6, then. 16 year olds always find the time for Internet.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Nelson Piquet...

I wonder if anyone born of the year of that particular champion, detests their younger relative's attempts at f1?
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
shinji wrote:

I could be 16, or 6.

You're 6, then. 16 year olds always find the time for Internet.

You could also be 7, 8, 9 or 10 as well. Or 5. Or something like that.
MCard LOLA
James1978

Post by James1978 »

ADx_Wales wrote:Nelson Piquet...

I wonder if anyone born of the year of that particular champion, detests their younger relative's attempts at f1?

Not him but similar circumstances for me as Mario Andretti was champion the year i was born. Though I didn't detest Michael, I found him amusing instead. :D
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

By the way, why isn't this called "Pandabox"? Much cuter...
And no, I'm not the first to use the word "cute" on this forum. I just earched it. Incredibly it's been used 29 times before!
And also no, this is not, I repeat NOT spam, just because it links to an obscure Chinese homepage for no apparent reason.
Well, not in the narrower sense of the word "spam", anyway
Also hughely enjoy the company of all of you on this forum, I just wanted to say! Thanks to everyone!
Oh, and it's Prost for me, by the way. Could be better. Could be MUCH worse.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

ADx_Wales wrote:Nelson Piquet...

Well, Nicholas Prost hasn't been in F1 yet, plus I have nothing against him.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

I've been a bit silent lately but I'm genuinely delighted to see how many of you are enjoying this forum. It should probably come as no surprise that where F1 Rejects is going is a bit up-in-the-air. You can tell from what's happened to the podcasts this year that various pressures have taken their toll on both Jamie and me (in his case work and in my case work and family). The site itself looks (and, in many respects, reads) like it was made in 1999, and although I've kept up with writing race reviews everything else is quite slow these days.

But the fact that, over the years and now via this forum, we seem to have created a community of people who share a common passion of enjoying F1 as a sport with all its human and technical aspects, and who care as much about the epic failures as well as the victors, encourages me to ensure that F1 Rejects continues to live on in one way or another.

P.S. You can work out my age from the dead-giveaway clue in my signature!
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

For some reason I've only just opened this thread, and I would like to strongly agree with the sentiments that have already been posted. I post on the Autosport forums more regularly than here, but although there are many civilised discussions over there, there is also more potential for threads to degenerate into flamewars, which never happens here, thank goodness. It's also brilliant that I can start a thread here about an obscure reject of whom most people on Autosport will not have heard, and receive dozens of replies, rather than seeing it getting shunted onto page 2 after half a day. :D
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Ayrton Senna, I'm also born the same day he was. :)
patrick

Post by patrick »

eytl wrote:It should probably come as no surprise that where F1 Rejects is going is a bit up-in-the-air. You can tell from what's happened to the podcasts this year that various pressures have taken their toll on both Jamie and me (in his case work and in my case work and family). The site itself looks (and, in many respects, reads) like it was made in 1999, and although I've kept up with writing race reviews everything else is quite slow these days.

The site is fantastic because of that older simplicity, ease of use and good layout. I for one hate these flashy "web 2.0" websites that are difficult to navigate and look plain ugly.
Have you ever considered bringing some of the users of the forum on board to help out with new articles and content? I'm sure everyone will agree there are some very knowledgeable - and active - people here who would be more than happy to help. :)
TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

eytl wrote:I've been a bit silent lately but I'm genuinely delighted to see how many of you are enjoying this forum. It should probably come as no surprise that where F1 Rejects is going is a bit up-in-the-air. You can tell from what's happened to the podcasts this year that various pressures have taken their toll on both Jamie and me (in his case work and in my case work and family). The site itself looks (and, in many respects, reads) like it was made in 1999, and although I've kept up with writing race reviews everything else is quite slow these days.

But the fact that, over the years and now via this forum, we seem to have created a community of people who share a common passion of enjoying F1 as a sport with all its human and technical aspects, and who care as much about the epic failures as well as the victors, encourages me to ensure that F1 Rejects continues to live on in one way or another.

We're right behind you mate and happy to help out wherever we can.

Fortunately the forum allows for a mostly static website to continue to stay relevant and interesting! Genius!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

eytl wrote:But the fact that, over the years and now via this forum, we seem to have created a community of people who share a common passion of enjoying F1 as a sport with all its human and technical aspects, and who care as much about the epic failures as well as the victors, encourages me to ensure that F1 Rejects continues to live on in one way or another.

Exactly. F1Rejects is a great community because people here make it so.

Here's an example: our very own IIDOTR. As you all know, we run a poll after every race, to elect who performed the best - we must get an average 30 votes or so per race, I should imagine. Anyway, some of you may know that James Allen runs a poll for Driver of the Day on his website as well. For all his past misgivings, JA actually runs a tight ship there, keeps flame wars more or less in check and avoids the odd Saward-ism, so his audience isn't exactly a bunch of raving loonies.
The two polls are not strictly comparable, as in F1Rejects you get two votes with different values to each and you can't repeat your vote, while on JAF1 it's One Man, One Vote, and I'm not sure what checks are in place to avoid double-counting. Either way, it makes for interesting comparison: take the recent Korean GP; I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that, when I close the vote in a few days' time, old Tonio is going to win it over The Schu by a wide margin; he currently has more than double Michael's points, and past experience shows that after Monday only a few more people ever vote. Compare that to the results from JA's poll:

Alonso: 45%
Schumacher: 18%
Vettel: 15%
Hamilton: 10%
Liuzzi: 8%
Massa: 1%

We could be talking about a different race altogether... Enoch and Jamie have done so much for so long to show us how important it is to look at what else is happening during a race, that now we actually do it; and that helps put things in perspective.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Much as I do read the discussions on the James Allen on F1 site, there do seem to be an inordinate number of Ferrari diehards / Hamilton haters on there.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

eytl wrote:But the fact that, over the years and now via this forum, we seem to have created a community of people who share a common passion of enjoying F1 as a sport with all its human and technical aspects, and who care as much about the epic failures as well as the victors, encourages me to ensure that F1 Rejects continues to live on in one way or another.

We all get on because we all share enjoyment in rooting for guys like Kobayashi and Chandhok and not just the frontrunners.

eytl wrote:P.S. You can work out my age from the dead-giveaway clue in my signature!

HUZZAH! The webmaster and I share a birthday.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

most of us were big (or at least slightly) minardi-fans before they knew of f1rejects anyway, aren't we? so we were just happy to discover people who share the same affection to underdogs. It's also great to have a website on the internet who writes about drivers we never heared of.
You can put it the other way too: i've allways disliked dominant drivers/teams other sports teams/sportsmen and even overly succesful random people :D
funny thing is that the rejects-spirit even relates to and influenced my political views, sort of :D
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

This wrote:everyone was a big (or at least slightly) minardi-fan

Fixed
Whole Spanish Press

Post by Whole Spanish Press »

Concerned by the fact that PR seriously suffer by poor timing (and by not any other reason), we have reached a consensus over the subject of pampering you with some nonsense sentimental wording. Therefore, here we go, just don't interrupt:

1) The site has a technical side, yes, even if this means the scarce collaboration of a guy who worked for the only team that bought the story of the nigerian-prince-in-distress spam in 1999.

2) The drivers profiles are, usually, 0.87 times the length of a Mario's post, which is an achievement in itself, considering that, for this guy, a simple sneeze can become a 30 minutes engineering maneuver if you give him the chance. But we also found his technical side amazing.

3) The usual trolling against our syndication as a whole gave us the chance to put us in the role of victim, thing that eventually was instrumental in our plans to conquer the world to only give Alonso the telepathic powers to make a Vettel's engine detonate three laps to go and produce some bizarre behavior in Massa's driving in Germany (a fact that we have decided to dub as "a strange case of misfire in Massas's fly-by-mirrors system"). We simply wouldn't have been able to realize our power if any comment made by the Captain would have ben prompted as discriminatory or as simple trolling behavior. We found in him he inspiration. He created the monster, we simply can't stop it.

4) We have found, also, a good field for lobotomized users sightings. Mantras like "Go Home Collin Kolles" or "Kobayashi it's not championship material" led us to find strange cases that data miners have dubbed as human spam. The field for further research can only open as a diaspore from here.

5) All in all, good site, almost on the threshold of the average.... no porn, but quite good.
The Whole Spanish Press: Best Troll-to-Troll weapon platform since 2009.
Waris

Post by Waris »

patrick wrote:
eytl wrote:It should probably come as no surprise that where F1 Rejects is going is a bit up-in-the-air. You can tell from what's happened to the podcasts this year that various pressures have taken their toll on both Jamie and me (in his case work and in my case work and family). The site itself looks (and, in many respects, reads) like it was made in 1999, and although I've kept up with writing race reviews everything else is quite slow these days.

The site is fantastic because of that older simplicity, ease of use and good layout. I for one hate these flashy "web 2.0" websites that are difficult to navigate and look plain ugly.

I agree, please keep the site that way.
Also, the enormous age span is funny. If all members of this forum where to gather in real life, people would have no clue what was going on, I think.

By the way, Prost was also champion at the time I was born, so make of that what you will.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

James1978 wrote:I'm well above the average age, indeed I'm older than everyone apart from coops who's said their age (I'm 32)!!!!!

(Indeed, I'm thinking soon, the whole F1 field will be younger than me - there's only Schumacher, Barrichello, Trulli, Heidfeld and Webber left who are older than me - at least De la Rosa got replaced by Heidfeld and not someone even younger!) :)

Part of my dislike for Sebastian Vettel comes from the fact that he was the first F1 driver younger than me... :mrgreen: Now they are up to 4 (Vettel, Buemi, Alguersuari and Hülkenberg) out of 24, which isn't too bad...

I concur with everything you've said about the spirit of the people here. This is undoubtedly the best forum that Grand Prix racing has ever produced.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!