Modified circuits

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Osiris13

Modified circuits

Post by Osiris13 »

A response to other threads about the demise or re-designing of certain racetracks (Hockenheim, Fuji, Magny Cours), does anyone else think that Barcelona is a mickey-mouse circuit these days? I thought it was ok and had some good sections until they changed the last corner, which for me seemed to spoil the flow. Also does anyone think that Silverstone (if it has a future) could have some of the kinks taken out?
noisebox

Re: Modified circuits

Post by noisebox »

Barcelona has always suffered from being a testing track - all the teams have such a good set up for that track the natural order is not usually disturbed. Also, I agree with you that the chicane at the end of the lap spoils the last sector.

As for Silverstone, it would be great for it to be even faster - I'd quite like to see the brooklands priory section made faster and take out the abbey chicane - that would probably get average speeds up nearer to where they were in the late 80s - they were up to about 160mph at one point.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Osiris13

Post by Osiris13 »

I'm probably being a bit hard on Silverstone but I guess like a lot of people here I remember the 'old days.' I understand the reasons for slowing it down but they seemed to go over the top when they did so. Between Luffield and Stowe/Vale it's still a terrific circuit, and I agree that taking out the Abbey chicane would be great for the track. I wonder if the current cars could still do bridge flat out (maybe) if this was done?
It's a real shame about Hockenheim too - more grandstands for no-one to sit in them. Sad.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

noisebox wrote:As for Silverstone, it would be great for it to be even faster - I'd quite like to see the brooklands priory section made faster and take out the abbey chicane - that would probably get average speeds up nearer to where they were in the late 80s - they were up to about 160mph at one point.

They're making major changes to Silverstone for MotoGP. The cars are now going to leave the current circuit just shy of Abbey and go right, striking inwards along one of the old runways. Just before they get to the Becketts-Maggots-Chapel complex, there's a right-hand list followed by an almighty swing to the left called Arrowhead and another long straight that takes them all the way back to Brooklands. It's ceratinly much better than the chicanery that marks the second half of the course, but the left-right chicane at Abbey has been replaced by a right-left chicane. It's as if they can't help themselves! Fortuantely, the Arrowhead configuration really changes the way the riders and drivers take the final complex. Luffield and Woodcote reman the same, but Bridge and Priory are gone and Brooklands becomes a much shallower corner.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

Captain Hammer wrote:The cars are now going to leave the current circuit just shy of Abbey and go right, striking inwards along one of the old runways.

Sorry for the pedantry, and I've seen the claim before, but the silverstone runways run woodcote-becketts, club- becketts and copse-stowe - there was never a runway anywhere near abbey.

It's actually a pretty sneaky bit of work on their part, as it's a major layout change for very little work. The road from abbey to beckett's is already there, and it's already a racing-quality surface as it's part of the international circuit. Equally, the straight from becketts to brooklands (which is one of the old runways) is already there and part of the club circuit. There's probably a grand total of about 200 metres (if even that) of new tarmac to lay.

Silverstone on google maps
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Jordan192 wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:The cars are now going to leave the current circuit just shy of Abbey and go right, striking inwards along one of the old runways.

Sorry for the pedantry, and I've seen the claim before, but the silverstone runways run woodcote-becketts, club- becketts and copse-stowe - there was never a runway anywhere near abbey.

It's actually a pretty sneaky bit of work on their part, as it's a major layout change for very little work. The road from abbey to beckett's is already there, and it's already a racing-quality surface as it's part of the international circuit. Equally, the straight from becketts to brooklands (which is one of the old runways) is already there and part of the club circuit. There's probably a grand total of about 200 metres (if even that) of new tarmac to lay.

Silverstone on google maps

*shrugs*

Okay, so the point is that the new circuit leaves the Grand Prix course and runs along the International section up in the direction of Becketts. Then it crosses to the Club course and strikes back across to Brooklands. It could actually be pretty good ... except for that bloody chicane.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
JDOD

Post by JDOD »

Barcelona is just shite - full stop. The best way to modify that circuit would be to dig it up.
The modifications to Hokenheim have, IMO, been pretty sucessful. We've had some good races there. I do miss the cars blasting through the trees but there was a lot of danger there and no real skill.
The re-shaped bus Stop has proved to be a bit rubbish.

What I think they should do to the Hungaroring is extend the short burst into the final right hander a fair bit and make the final bend a really sharp hairpin. No idea if they have the space to do this though.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

JDOD wrote:The re-shaped bus Stop has proved to be a bit rubbish.

Are you talking about Spa? I think the current Bus Stop - and the modifcations extending La Source out a little more - are far better than they were in the past. Sure, it's nothing like it used to be when it was flat out from Stavelot to the hairpin, but I was playing it on F1 05, and while I know the game is no indication of reality, the Bus Stop threatened to dislocate my wrists every time I took it. Can't imagine what it would have been like for a Formual One driver; it was slow, it was fiddly, it was the antithesis of the sport and cheapened a legendary circuit. At least now the drivers can screw it up and don't waste half an hour getting back on-course.
JDOD

Post by JDOD »

Captain Hammer wrote:
JDOD wrote:The re-shaped bus Stop has proved to be a bit rubbish.

Are you talking about Spa? I think the current Bus Stop - and the modifcations extending La Source out a little more - are far better than they were in the past. Sure, it's nothing like it used to be when it was flat out from Stavelot to the hairpin, but I was playing it on F1 05, and while I know the game is no indication of reality, the Bus Stop threatened to dislocate my wrists every time I took it. Can't imagine what it would have been like for a Formual One driver; it was slow, it was fiddly, it was the antithesis of the sport and cheapened a legendary circuit. At least now the drivers can screw it up and don't waste half an hour getting back on-course.

Yeah... I prefered the old Bus Stop. Although I like La Source as it is now (TBH I didn't realise it was modified) I was sitting at the Bus Stop in '07 and was disapointed with it.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

JDOD wrote:Although I like La Source as it is now (TBH I didn't realise it was modified)

It was modified to give the Start/Finish line a bit more room. The entire hairpin was moved forward about thirty metres, and the Bus Stop was reconfigured so that the left-hander was actually back further than the exit had previously been without compromising Blanchimont (that's why it's now a right-left instead of a left-right; there was more room outside the circuit than in). It gives the drivers a little bit more time to sort themselves out for the first corner, as well as making way for a brand-new pit complex; I believe Spa was in need of an upgrade. The modifications were minimal and not much was changed, so it's probably one of Tilke's better jobs.