F1 Rejects Forum 2010 Awards

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

F1 Rejects Forum 2010 Awards

Post by FullMetalJack »

Since the season is over, it is now time for the 2010 awards, I'll split it into awards for Formula 1 and awards amongst this forum. Please give your nominations, and possibly reasons if you want.

F1 AWARDS
Driver of the year: Robert Kubica - Fighting Massa and Rosberg in the championship in inferior machinery, annihalated Petrov from a statistical point of view and often challenged for podiums.
Team of the year: Renault - Obvious choice, Red Bull should have ran away with the championship like McLaren in '88, Williams in '92 and Ferrari in '02, '04 and to some extent '01.
Reject of the year: Vitantonio Liuzzi - Only impressed me twice this season, Canada and during the race in Korea. Drove like a rookie for most of the season.
Race of the year: Canada - Incredible race, so much action, one of the best races on the calendar and it was good to see it back.
Worst race of the year: Bahrain - No explanation necessary.
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Vitantonio Liuzzi - Same as why he's my Reject of the Year, could not impress me throughout. His teammate Sutil was one of the revelations of 2010 and was a very quick driver.
Most improved driver of the year: Adrian Sutil - Top 10 driver this year without a doubt, probably in my top 5. Matured greatly this season and is quite an exciting driver, hence why he has his own thread on this forum.
Rookie of the year: Kamui Kobayashi - The most exciting driver in the sport, loved watching him, as we all do. Daring overtakes and created a lot of exciting moments.
New team of the year: Lotus - The one new team that didn't seem too amateurish. Virgin were because of their original car and HRT were the definition of amateurish.
Most anonymous driver of the year: Pedro De La Rosa - Could have gone to Buemi but he got my attention a lot towards the end of the season, mostly for driving like an idiot. Didn't notice PDLR much at all apart from his 7th place at Hungary.
Epic fail of the year: Lucas Di Grassi at Japan - There's no excuse for that error.

FORUM AWARDS I haven't thought of answers for these yet but i'll leave it open for you to give opinions.
Forum member of the year
Moderator of the year
Thread of the year
Signature of the year
Caption of the year
Quote of the year
Virtual driver of the year - Chris Dagnall - Considering I have my own driver, i'm obliged to vote for someone else, I would have voted Dagnall anyway.
Last edited by FullMetalJack on 08 Dec 2010, 15:18, edited 2 times in total.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
patrick

Re: F1 Rejects Forum 2010 Awards

Post by patrick »

F1 AWARDS
Driver of the year: Robert Kubica. No other name springs to mind although there have been a lot of great drives.
Team of the year: add this in? I'd go for Renault - a great turnaround from last year
Reject of the year: Di Grassi. Who?
Race of the year: a lot to choose from. I'm going to go with Austrailia
Worst race of the year: Spain.
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Massa. I know he took a huge confidence hit half way through but really. He didn't even try to show he was still there and waiting for 2011
Most improved driver of the year: Nico Hulkenburg.
Rookie of the year: Kamui Kobayashi!
New team of the year: Lotus. Great team, shame they will probably lose the name
Most anonymous driver of the year: Nico Rosberg. Not really a criticism, he's driven fantastically but at the same time just stayed out of the limelight completely - even when he got on the podium
Epic fail of the year: Buemi's suspension failure in china fp
Drive of the year: Kobayashi and his ownership of the turn 11 hairpin at Suzuka

I don't like forum awards. All that needs to be said is that there is a fantastic bunch of people here, concise, informative, funny posting, good moderators and of course the website staff. Here's to 2011 with you guys.
Last edited by patrick on 15 Nov 2010, 00:11, edited 2 times in total.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Driver of the Year: Vettel - I almost went with Kubica because he's one of the few drivers not to have dirtied his copybook this year, but it occured to me that Vettel repeatedly dirtied his, and got slapped with a few mechanical problems and was so fast that he still came out on top.

Team of the Year: Renault. Big improvements here.

Reject of the Year: Petrov. I don't think any other driver was so thoroughly and consistently outperformed by their teammate.

Race of the Year: I need to think about this one. Possibly Belgium.

Worst Race: Borhrain

DBTMOTR: Petrov. Liuzzi runs him close though.

Most improved driver: Webber. At times looked like a proper title contender.

Rookie: Kobayashi

New Team: Lotus

Anon: de la Rosa. Didn't come to my attention until he was sacked.

Epic Fail: Di Grassi crashing on the way to the grid in Japan.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

F1 AWARDS
DotY: Vettel - at the end of the day, all the leading drivers made lots of mistakes, but Vettel was the fastest and could easily have won by 75+ points without some of his mechanical issues
TotY: Red Bull
RotY: HRT
R(a)otY: Melbourne
WRotY: Bahrain
DBTMotY: Liuzzi
MIDotY: Rosberg - made the jump to a consistent performer
R(o)otY: Kobayashi
NTotY: Lotus
MADofY: Lucas di Grassi
EFotY: Vettel's crash with Webber at Turkey and his subsequent reaction
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Oops, forgot about Team of the year, it's gotta be Renault.
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

F1 AWARDS
Driver of the year: Vettel for beating probably the toughest assembly of competitors that ever lined up for an F1 season.
Reject of the year: Senna. It's not often obvious when someone is being slow in a slow car, until pay drivers come in and beat you.
Race of the year: Korea. It was utter chaos and dramatic.
Worst race of the year: Bahrain - Go away.
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Petrov - the chasm-like appearance of the Renault number 2 seat holds true to form.
Most improved driver of the year: Adrian Sutil- showed his quality.
Rookie of the year: Kamui Kobayashi- proved that excitement and results are not mutually exclusive, while his teammates showed that steadyness and results aren't a guarantee of success either.
Epic fail of the year: Alonso at Spa.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

F1 AWARDS
Driver of the year: Robert Kubica - Not much of a surprise coming from me, but compared to last year where he spent most of the time seemingly daydreaming about what might have been in 2008, Robert has turned over a new leaf. He regularly took the fight to better cars, and looked at one stage like single-handedly overhauling Renault past Mercedes in the Constructors' Championship.
Team of the year: Renault - One of the biggest turnarounds in modern sporting history. At the end of last year, this was a team humilated, off the pace, and minus their core of Alonso, Symonds and Briatore. Fast forward some months, and they are threatening the defending Constructors' Champions for 4th, and in Kubica they have a driver they can work with to get back on top.
Reject of the year: Vitantonio Liuzzi - This year's crop of rookie drivers have been rather error-prone to say the least. That Liuzzi, after being in the paddock since 2005 and having about 2-and-a-half season's worth of track time, outclassed each and every one of them in crashing and general underperformance underlines the rejectfulness of his season.
Race of the year: Canada - There were a lot of contenders for this, but Canada edges it thanks to it's uniquely tyre-destroying surface.
Worst race of the year: Italy - We (or, at least I did) expected Bahrain to be boring. We didn't expect a similar level of inaction from one of the old circuits, and Bridgestone's inability to make tyres that didn't not last very long just made things worse.
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Vitantonio Liuzzi - See ROTR.
Most improved driver of the year: Adrian Sutil - Until this season, Adrian reminded me of Takuma Sato; fast, but erratic. The question for Taku was always marrying that speed to reliability, which sadly he never did. Not so for Sutil, who comprehensively outdrove his teammate and has been (quite rightly, in my opinion) suggested as a possible replacement for Schumacher, or as a second driver for Renault. A superb job by him this year.
Rookie of the year: Kamui Kobayashi - Easily Formula 1's most exciting driver, Kobayashi is always one to watch. Not only because of his banzai passes, but because he is genuinely fast in his own right, and could quite easily forge out a respectable career in the upper midfield. Murray Walker has named him as Japan's best F1 driver yet, and I'm inclined to agree. Who knows, we might even be looking at Japan's first Grand Prix winner here!
New team of the year: Lotus - Pretty much by default. Not only were they the best, but they got the job done with less time than Virgin, HRT, and USF1, and they haven't hung about; Tony Fernandes seems keen to drive this team up the grid.
Most anonymous driver of the year: Lucas di Grassi - Who?
Epic fail of the year: Alonso getting stuck behind Petrov in Abu Dhabi - You are not entitled to throw a tantrum if you, in a top-3 car, cannot pass an erratic rookie driving for their career in only the 5th best car.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

I think I almost agreed on all points with redbulljack14.

Driver of the year: Robert Kubica - Absolute star of the year. Getting podiums on his own merit in the 5th best car of the grid is no mean feat. Only 1 time not in Q3? Nice year, Robert, back on track after the disastrous 2009.
Reject of the year: Vitantonio Liuzzi - The reason why Williams finished ahead of Force India
Race of the year: Canada - A great race, with a reject leading at one point!
Worst race of the year: Bahrain - Bore-rain
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Vitantonio Liuzzi - Sutil easily beat him in almost every event.
Most improved driver of the year: Adrian Sutil - Finally managed to drop his errors, only going back to it in Korea. Lots of improvement, but then the car dropped back the field on him.
Rookie of the year: Kamui Kobayashi - Needs explanation?
New team of the year: Lotus - Had some mechanical retirements, with Trulli losing his REAR wing in Abu Dhabi, but otherwise an excellent first year and the second one might be a lot better!
Most anonymous driver of the year: Both Toro Rosso drivers. Only on screen because when they got lapped or got into accidents... with the two exceptions of Buemi leading in Canada and Alguersuari in Abu Dhabi being in front of Webber for one and a half lap.
Epic fail of the year: Lucas Di Grassi at Japan - When was the last time again when someone binned it on his way to the grid before the formation lap?

FORUM AWARDS
I don't think I'm eligible for voting as I joined in the end of July.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

Team of the year: Red Bull for beating McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes and having a more admirable approach to team orders (that the standings obviously dictated, but still credit to them). For Adrian Newey for designing one of the best cars F1 has ever seen.
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

F1 AWARDS
Driver of the year: Robert Kubica- 'nuff said
Team of the year: Renault- 'nuff said
Reject of the year: Michael Schumacher - Perhaps a controversial choice but he was expected to do well this season with some touting him for the WDC. Instead he was fairly anonymous for the majority of the year and only a few good races at the end of the year kept him in front of Sutil in the standings. Not where the 7 time champ was expected to be at all. Hon. mentions to Liuzzi for obvious reasons as well as Di Grassi and Senna for seemingly doing nothing all year.
Race of the year: Australia - So tempted to say Canada because it epitomised what I love to see most in F1 and it annoyed me that many people were complaining about the track surface etc. when we got a fantastic race out of it. But to be honest after Bahrain I was worried about the quality of racing this season and Australia put an end to those worries with no effort.
Worst race of the year: Bahrain - Italy sucked and so did the two Spanish races but Bahrain was awful and a terrible choice as season opener. Thankfully they are at least reverting the track layout to the pre 2010 layout for next year.
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Massa - We saw it in action at Hockenheim. Nowhere near Alonso's pace this season which is a great shame because I like the guy but liking someone doesn't make them any good.
Most improved driver of the year: Webber - Odd choice? Probably but until Korea he was magnificent and I for one didn't know he had it in him. I never expected him to come so close to a WDC.
Rookie of the year: Kamui Kobayashi - 'nuff said
New team of the year: Lotus - 'nuff said
Most anonymous driver of the year: Di Grassi - For those of you who listen to the Formula 1 Blog podcast I thought Grace put it best. "Who's DIG?"
Epic fail of the year: Webber "pulling a Hamilton" and bottling it in the last 3 races of the season.
Drive of the year: Kobayashi at Suzuka - A blistering drive from the guy where he made the hairpin his hunting ground. Great to watch from start to finish.
Last edited by Tealy on 16 Nov 2010, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

F1 AWARDS
Driver of the year: Robert Kubica - In just one season he's turned around the mire he was in during most of 2009 and has consistantly put that car in places where it didn't deserve to be.
Team of the year: Renault - One of the best turnarounds in form of recent times.
Reject of the year: Tonio Liuzzi - For someone who's driving for his career he was pathetic wasn't he?
Race of the year: Canada - Nuff said
Worst race of the year: Bahrain - Again nuff said
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Felipe Massa. Didn't show any sort of spark after China with the exception of Germany.
Most improved driver of the year: Vitaly Petrov - Ok hear me out on this one. He's a pretty useful driver and he kept Alonso at bay for the best part of an hour at Abu Dhabi without putting a foot wrong (Infact it was the Spaniad who was running wide and locking brakes)
Rookie of the year: Kamui Kobayashi - Nuff said
New team of the year: Lotus - By default really
Most anonymous driver of the year: Pedro De La Rosa - Who?
Epic fail of the year: Lucas Di Grassi at Japan - Inexcusable error is inexcusable.

And I think we should have a new category called:
Drive of the year: Robert Kubica at Monaco. His lap in qualifying was THE lap of the year and would have won that race if it wasn't for Vettel beating him off the start.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

F1 AWARDS
Driver of the year: Robert Kubica - how he ever managed to keep up with some faster cars, and so comprehensively smash Petrov beats me.
Team of the year: Mercedes - At least they had two fairly consistent drivers who weren't trying to beat each other up.
Reject of the year: Vitantonio Liuzzi - Why did he even bother?
Race of the year: Britain - I like a bit of controversy. Makes it more interesting.
Worst race of the year: Borerainless - No explanation needed
Deadbeat teammate of the year: - Petrov - toss up between him and Liuzzi, both being beaten repeatedly by their teammates.
Most improved driver of the year: Hulkenberg - From obscurity (for me, anyway) to a pole at Brazil.
Rookie of the year: Kobayashi - Because he tried to overtake.
New team of the year: Lotus - Didn't seem to embarass theselves on a constant basis.
Most anonymous driver of the year: Lucas di Grassi - There was only one time I noticed him...
Epic fail of the year: Di Grassi at Japan - And here was that one time.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

F1 AWARDS
Driver of the Year - Mark Webber - Best car, Best talent, unlucky stuff in Korea, lost championship :cry:
Team of the year - Renault - Rebounded from last year and is a force to be reckoned with.
Reject of the year - New teams - No explanation needed
Race of the year - Canada or Belgium - Two perfectly good tracks made a great race for each.
Worst race of the year - Borerain - Gave false views on the season, enough said
Dead Beat Teammate of the Year - Vitaly Petrov - Kubica's point scores: 15. Petrov's point scores: Five. Enough said.
Most Improved driver of the year - Adrian Sutil - One points finish to nine this year? WOW!
Rookie of the year - Kamui Kobayashi - Everyone else was left in the dust while he sped away. Need I say more?
New team of the year - Lotus - Compared to the other new teams, this team looks like Red Bull Racing.
Most anonymous driver of the year - Nico Rosberg - When Schumacher came in Mercedes, it was all Schumacher. Rosberg just hid under the lights, showed up a couple of times to pick up hardware... and consistently scored points! Although nobody seemed to notice
Epic Fail of the year - Vettel-Webber crash in Turkey - I'm sorry, but every time I see this it is just INEXCUSEABLE!

FORUM AWARDS
Forum Member of the year - I have no idea.
Moderator of the year - The Hemoglobin
Thread of the year - Villeneuve Racing - I will try to describe this as best as I can.
Villeneuve -> Gaddafi Jr -> playing football -> handegg -> horses drowning -> tractors -> offending someone else's cultures -> google fight -> USF1 -> Candlepin Bowling -> HESKETH -> Soviet Canada -> Brabham... how in the world did we get that far? 13 pages, some very good laughs there.
Signature of the year - Whoever has the sig "IN BED"
Caption of the year - I will get back to you on that one.
Avatar of the year - Phoenix's powerslide avatar
Quote of the year - [quote=Carlos Ferreria]Are we being slightly silly? It's as exciting as VLADIMIR PUTIN wearing a LIVE BEAR![/quote] Not sure where that came from.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wizzie wrote:And I think we should have a new category called:
Drive of the year: Robert Kubica at Monaco. His lap in qualifying was THE lap of the year and would have won that race if it wasn't for Vettel beating him off the start.

I second this new category and put forth my own nomination: Robert Kubica at Abu Dhabi.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Wow - there are some consistent threads throughout your selections so far.

All of a sudden I feel as though our end-of-year driver rankings won't be so controversial after all ...
patrick

Post by patrick »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Wizzie wrote:And I think we should have a new category called:

I second this new category and put forth my own nomination: Robert Kubica at Abu Dhabi.

Kobayashi and his ownership of the turn 11 hairpin at Suzuka.
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

F1 AWARDS

Driver of the year: Illogical as this may sound considering we are talking about the reigning world champion, for me Jenson Button was the driver whose performances surprised me the most
Team of the year:Sauber - from last of the established teams to solid points scorer. / Although Team McLaren's efforts at keeping the peace between their drivers were really good, too.
Reject of the year: Liuzzi
Race of the year: I'm also going with Canada. Although there are many strong contenders this season: Melbourne, Sepang, China, Japan and Korea were all great, too.
Worst race of the year: Bahrain!
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Yamamoto (although it pains me to say this)
Most improved driver of the year: The Alguersaurus
Rookie of the year: Kobayashi Kamui
New team of the year: Genii-Renault. Or, if that doesn't count, Lotus.
Most anonymous driver of the year: de la Heidfeld
Epic fail of the year: Ferrari's pathetic attempts at Theatre of the Absurd after the race in Hockenheim re "teamorders".

Oh, and Drive of the year: Kobayashi's last few laps in Valencia
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

[Driver of the year: Robert Kubica - Did he not make a mistake all season? was he not in the best team?
Team of the year: HRT - They Lasted a season, yes they may have cocked up, yes they may have a boss that should go home, but they got to the end of the season in tact, roll on 2011.
Reject of the year: Ferrari - not a fan-boy stance of any kind, but they made it very difficult for me to enjoy F1, just like they did in most of the 2000s, but not through sheer boredom, but through sheer arrogance and thinking they could do anything and get away with it.
Race of the year: Melbourne, just as a kneejerk to the Bahrain GP, almost as if the GP took on a form of intelligence and said to the world "THIS IS HOW ITS DONE!!"
Worst race of the year: Hockenhiem - Make every F1 fan feel unloved why dontcha.
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Its a tough one, cannot seperate Mark Webber and Felipe Massa.
Most improved driver of the year: Kamui Kobayashi
Rookie of the year: Vitaly Petrov
New team of the year: HRT
Most anonymous driver of the year: Timo Glock
Epic fail of the year: The FOTA teams, not letting the new teams into F1 with a clue of how to build a car, then complain about them being backmarkers, dont complain you money dependant paracytes, they are there because YOU MADE THEM THAT WAY.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Bob

Post by Bob »

Driver of the year: Rosberg, worked wonders with a truck
Team of the year: Red Bull - notwithstanding driver errors, they were by far the best
Reject of the year: Xtrac hydraulics
Race of the year: Canada
Worst race of the year: Bahrain/Hockenheim
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Gotta be Felipe Massa, at no point this year did he even hint that he'd nearly won the WDC in 2008
Most improved driver of the year: Kamui Kobayashi
Rookie of the year: Vitaly Petrov - the only one to have unrejectified himself
New team of the year: Fondmetal Team Malaysia
Most anonymous driver of the year: Lucas di Grassi - in Valencia FP1 I thought "who the hell is DIG?"
Epic fail of the year: Lucas di Grassi's crash in Japan
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Bob wrote:Most anonymous driver of the year: Lucas di Grassi - in Valencia FP1 I thought "who the hell is DIG?"

Shouldn't this be through the whole year, and, well, with that crash in japan, he wasn't unknown to anyone anymore.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Myrvold wrote:
Bob wrote:Most anonymous driver of the year: Lucas di Grassi - in Valencia FP1 I thought "who the hell is DIG?"

Shouldn't this be through the whole year, and, well, with that crash in japan, he wasn't unknown to anyone anymore.

Hmm, didn't really think that one through. In fact:

Most anonymous driver of the year: Rubens Barrichello, distinctly average car and distinctly average results
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Driver of the year: Kamui Kobayashi - a true racer
Team of the year: Williams - for their improvement through the season
Reject of the year: Lucas di Grassi
Race of the year: Canada - it shuold be ALWAYS in the calendar (Spa and Melbourne on the podium, but Montreal wins with being very good without any rain)
Worst race of the year: Bahrain - nuff said
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Vitaly Petrov - maybe a bit harsh because Kubica was brilliant, but still, it is true
Most improved driver of the year: Jaime Alguersuari - who would think to Alguersaurus as a very reliable finisher at the beginning of the year?
Rookie of the year: Nico Hülkenberg - for scoring a pole
New team of the year: Lotus
Most anonymous driver of the year: Michael Schumacher - having only a title (or 7) and not a name, if you know what I think of
Epic fail of the year: Lucas Di Grassi at Japan

Firefighter of the year: Heikki Kovalainen
TomPryce

Post by TomPryce »

F1 AWARDS
Driver of the year: Jenson Button - I think he has whinged the least of the title contenders all year.
Team of the year: Sauber - For giving us hope in Kamikaze Kobayashi
Reject of the year: Vitantonio Liuzzi - Whenever he races, you EXPECT failure.
Race of the year: I really enjoyed Australia, what Bahrain should have been.
Worst race of the year: Hockenheim. Team orders destroyed the spectacle for me.
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Massa. Alonso has singlehandedly destroyed Massa's confidence.
Most improved driver of the year: Mark Webber. His run of form this year is outstanding.
Rookie of the year: Kamui Kobayashi - See above.
New team of the year: Lotus - 'nuff said
Most anonymous driver of the year: Karun Chandok, but only because he was so cruelly underused. Shame on HRT.
Epic fail of the year: Buemi's wheel failure. That was TRULY spectacular.
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
patrick

Post by patrick »

TomPryce wrote:Epic fail of the year: Buemi's wheel failure. That was TRULY spectacular.

oh man, everyone completely forgets about that because it was during free practise. I'm changing my nomination to that to be honest
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Driver of the Year: Kubica, at the start of the season we wrote him and Renault off but he's surprised everyone this year.
Team of the Year: Either Renault or Red Bull, but I'll take Renault because they went from Piquet-gate to scoring podiums and finishing in the points consistently. Looking forward to see what they'll do next year.
Race of the Year: I'm going to say Australia because I wasn't around to watch the Canadian GP.
Worst Race of the Year: Bahrain, perhaps the most sporting event I've ever watched, mainly because I was so excited, then was so disappointed I stopped watching halfway through.
DBTOTY: Liuzzi.
Most improved driver of the year: Kobayashi, not that there was much to improve, and for proving that Japanese drivers don't have to be named Sato or Katayama to succeed in F1. Plus he had some stellar drives at Japan and Britain, dusting off both his teammates.
Rookie of the Year: All the rookies did pretty well this year, but I'm giving it to Hulkenburg just because his pole was so awesome.
New team of the year: Lotus- barring that Kovalainen fire at Singapore, they had a very good year for a brand new team. I hope they get into the midfield in 2011.
Most Anonymous driver of the year: De la Rosa, like Alex Wurz, showing that testing means very little. The fact that you're testing and not actually racing proves that you're not good enough to start with.
Epic fail of the year: Di Grassi's warmup wreck. Honorable mention to Colin Kolles and Michael Schumacher.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Peter

Post by Peter »

Team of the year: HRT, for making a whole season with less money to spend than I can find in my sofa.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
AllAmericanReject

Post by AllAmericanReject »

Driver of the year: Vettel, even though he made some mistakes. I can't really tell how good Kubica was, given who we had to compare him to.
Team of the year: Williams did the most with the least and got stronger as the year went on.
Reject of the year: Schumacher was a huge disappointment. He was right about one thing, though: the changes to the car in time for the European races did put him closer to Rosberg...by making Rosberg slower. Trying to kill Barrichello in Hungary puts him over the top

Race of the year: The only thing missing from Montreal was rain. We didn't need it anyhow.
Worst race of the year: How awful would that Persian Gulf race have been had it not been the first or last race on the calendar?
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Petrov had two really good races and even unrejected himself. So did a certain American some time ago. Most of the year, he was both slow and dangerous. The fact that he might get dumped even though he brings a ton of money and could grow the sport exponentially in his home country has to count for something.

Most improved driver of the year: Kobayashi. Although not all of his early-season struggles were his fault, he was brilliant in the second half of the season.
Rookie of the year: Kamui was not really a rookie, so I'm going with the Hulk. His qualifying at Brazil was magical, although apparently, not as magical as $15 million in sponsorship.
New team of the year: If the Saubers had numbers 22 and 23, aren't they a new team? I don't remember any industrial espionage from BMW last season.
Most anonymous driver of the year: Buemi. Seemed like he started every race in 16th and finished in 12th.

Epic fail of the year: Ferrari at Abu Dhabi for forgetting that Red Bull has two cars and two drivers. Although with the way Ferrari operates, why wouldn't they forget that?
Drive of the year: Kobayashi at Suzuka kept me at the edge of my seat even though it was 4 in the morning Stateside.
Scumbag of the year: Alonso. Happy, Fernando? You won something. I'll just hand the award to you, since you wouldn't be able to take it on your own.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

F1 AWARDS

Driver of the year: Robert Kubica - Simply for being able to do what he did. I wouldn't rate the Renault as a bad car, but it certainly wasn't the best, and being able to defeat the Silver Arrows consistently (well, at least Schumi) was superb. I'm also not forgetting that stunning Monaco performance.
Team of the year: Tough one, I'll skip
Reject of the year: Vitantonio Liuzzi - Erratic performances, foolish mistakes, 6 retirements, must I say more? This so called Formula 3000 champion looks like a 'Formula Crash' champion.
Race of the year: Canada - It was definitely nice to see Montreal back, and it didn't disappoint with a great race. Sadly, Bridgestone didn't bother making fragile compounds again.
Worst race of the year: Bahrain - The so called Endurance layout was a total waste of time. That's all I need to say.
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Vitantonio Liuzzi - Pretty much explained at my ROTY description. Sutil was flying at the beginning, and Tonio failed to keep up. It simply got worse later on, even though Adrian himself was becoming a bit worn.
Most improved driver of the year: Mark Webber - I have to say, last year, nobody really cared about him. He was just another number 2 driver, failing to keep up with Vettel. I think he proved a lot of things this year, and in my opinion, definitely improved his performances.
Rookie of the year: Vitaly Petrov - It would be Kamui Kobayashi, but I don't consider him a rookie due to his 2009 races. For me, Hulkenberg was simply not as good as Petrov. Yes, he got pole at Interlagos, and I was happy for him, but its been said many times and I'll repeat it. His pole was due to being at the right place at the right time. Petrov meanwhile claimed a fastest lap at Turkey, was the faster of the Renault's in Hungary, and got his revenge against Fernando in the UAE. I will be sad to see him go after just a season.
New team of the year: Lotus - I think this one is quite obvious. Sure, Virgin looked to be perhaps the stronger of the two when the cavalcade arrived for the last race, but we have to remember that Lotus stopped development ages ago. Kudos to them, and may they accept my livery proposition for 2011. :P
Most anonymous driver of the year: Pedro De La Rosa - I could have gone for any of the Toro Rosso drivers, but they have been making the headlines for the wrong reasons lately. PDLR really was nowhere. I don't blame it on him, because he received the majority of Sauber mechanical failures, but he could have at least scored a few more points.
Epic fail of the year: Lucas Di Grassi at Japan - You don't bin it before the race.

FORUM AWARDS
Forum member of the year: All of you. :)
Moderator of the year: CarlosFerreira - "Go home Colin Kolles!"
Thread of the year: Villeneuve Racing - Simply for the frequent subject change!
Signature of the year: coops' sig - The one regarding CarlosFerreira and home. :D
Caption of the year: viewtopic.php?p=63750#p63750 - I lol'd insanely. In fact, there were many, and it was a tough choice. This was the other one which I was thinking about: viewtopic.php?p=63750#p63750 (all the Ralf ones are good actually! :D )
Avatar of the year: CarlosFerreira's Rejectdom Avatar Challenge USF1 Avatar (CFRACUSA)
Quote of the year: http://f1rejects.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=68231#p68231 - Not a really a quote, but seriously! Nothing more epic has been posted here! Or maybe something has, but I haven't found it...
Virtual driver of the year - I don't know. I wanted to put Stefan Bellof from my RP, but the problem is he is real. Then I was thinking of Ed Kevin, Alex K, Ronan Griffin, Niko Nurminen, Dave Simpson, and Alex Valrey, but that would just be vain of me. So, I'll be cliche and go Chris Dagnall. I was also thinking of Melrose, as he's also part of the RP and his 'later' career is great.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

FORUM AWARDS
Forum member of the year: All of you but if I had to pick it would be Mario.
Moderator of the year: CarlosFerreira - "Go home Colin Kolles!"
Thread of the year: Villeneuve Racing - Even though I missed about half of the fun.
Signature of the year: Watka's sig- LukeB's rant on Bridgestone tyres
Caption of the year: I'll get back to you once I'm done
Avatar of the year: CarlosFerreira's Rejectdom Avatar Challenge USF1 Avatar
Quote of the year: There are some absolute crackers but Eagleash's cracker in the "Worst Thing You Can Say on Not Winning" thread takes the cake.
Virtual driver of the year - I could be cheap and nominate myself but as AndreaModa said that "Dagnall and Jones have had to work for their F1 careers, Melrose was handed his on a platter with that Ferrari drive!" so I'll nominate Chris Dagnall.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

F1 AWARDS
Driver of the year: Robert Kubica or Kamui Kobayashi
Team of the year: Red Bull
Reject of the year: USF1
Race of the year: Belgian GP
Worst race of the year: Bore-rhain
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Felipe Massa
Most improved driver of the year: Karun Chandhok
Rookie of the year: Kamui Kobayashi
Most anonymous driver of the year: Either of the 2nd Sauber drivers
Epic fail of the year: Petrov testing how wet the kerbs were at Spa or Alonso crashing in FP3 at Monaco

I will post forum awards later.
This is a cool spot.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

F1 AWARDS
Driver of the year - Kamui Kobayashi: because we knew how good Kubica was, but Kobayashi really needed to prove himself.
Team of the year - Renault: for producing a competitive car with a limited budget and manage their resources well. Oh, and the paint job was awesome.
Reject of the year - Vitantonio Liuzzi: he barely did anything to impress while Sutil kept piling up the points.
Race of the year - Canada: tyre degradation set up a crazy race with lots of action.
Worst race of the year - Abu Dhabi: the circuit sucks badly, it was like seeing everything all over again. It gave me a headache, 'nuff said.
Deadbeat team-mate of the year - Felipe Massa: he rarely seemed to have the edge over Alonso. In fact, Alonso out-qualified and out-raced him handsomely over the season. In fact, he even struggled to keep up with Kubica and Rosberg half the times.
Most improved driver of the year - Adrian Sutil: for once, he managed to be very consistent, while combining a good race pace. A shame that the downturn in Force India's form late in this season dragged him down somehow.
Rookie of the year - Kamui Kobayashi: he started the season floundering, but when the Sauber imrpoved, he was fully prepared to exploit it. Lots of action, great speed and not too crash-prone.
New team of the year - Lotus: more professional, more well resourced and faster than Virgin or HRT. And with oozes of panache to boot.
Most anonymous driver of the year - Bruno Senna: need I explain it?
Epic fail of the year - Mark Webber: how on Earth could he lose the title? It's just mind-boggling, really.

FORUM AWARDS
Forum member of the year - Everyone: I enjoyed with you all, so I won't pass concrete judgement on this one.
Moderator of the year - Both of them: they did their job effectively and diligently.
Thread of the year - Villeneuve Racing: just friggin hilarious!
Signature of the year - CarlosFerreira's "The Considerate Ferret, F1Reject's answer to the infamous Honey Badger."
Avatar of the year - Excluding the ones proposed at the Rejectdom Avatar Challenge, mario's.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Driver of the Year: Nico Rosberg. Seriously I never thought he'd hold a candle to Michael Schumacher, so he's been the revelation to me. He even made Schu look like Kazuki Nakajima at times.

Team of the Year: Red Bull. Even though sometimes their lack of experience in battling for a championship showed sometimes, they still managed to beat Ferrari and McLaren which even with a fast car is no mean feat.

Reject of the Year: I'm stuck between Massa and Liuzzi

Race of the Year: Canada. Loved every second of it. (Actually, all my favourite races were all the ones McLaren won, any coincidence? Australia, China, Belgium and Turkey were all totally mad too!)

Worst race of the year: Germany - too many teams finishing in formation (the top five teams filled the points-paying positions), and the only notable thing that happened was THAT radio message. It was worse than Bahrain to me!

Dead-beat team-mate: Massa. Apart from Germany, where was he all year?

Most improved driver: Sutil

Rookie of the year: Kobayashi, for single-handedly livening up some dull races such as Suzuka!

New team: Lotus

Most anonymous: Buemi - I only ever noticed him when he messed up!

Epic fail: The Red Bull collision in Turkey!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
jpm

Post by jpm »

F1 AWARDS
Driver of the year: Alonso
Team of the year: Red Bull... solely for the quality design of Adrian Newey yet again. I guess they didnt handle much else very well...
Reject of the year: Liuzzi
Race of the year: Korea (once it eventually started)! best race for ages.
Worst race of the year: Bahrain
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Bruno Senna, Petrov
Most improved driver of the year: Nico Hulkenburg.
Rookie of the year: Kamui Kobayashi solely for his brilliance in Valencia.
Most anonymous driver of the year: Pedro de la Rosa (apart from retiring with engine failures)
Epic fail of the year: Michael Schumacher...Red Bull for taking so long to win the title...the Bahrain GP...the new points system...USF1 in general.
Drive of the year: Yamamoto in qualifying at Korea (didnt qualify last for first time since Italy 2007-massive cred!)
Marco

Post by Marco »

Driver of the year: Kubica
Team of the year: This one cannot go to RB because of the Istanbul aftermath. So I give it, and I never thought I'd say this, to McLaren.
Reject of the year: Ferrari for the radio messages in Germany
Race of the year: Canada
Worst race of the year: Bahrain
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Schumacher. Petrov or Liuzzi got thrashed as well, but that was to be expected.
Most improved driver of the year: Adrian Sutil
Rookie of the year: Kamui Kobayashi!
Most anonymous driver of the year: De La Rosa
Epic fail of the year: Toro Rosso suspension in China
Drive of the year: Kobayashi-San in Japan!
RAK

Post by RAK »

F1 AWARDS
Driver of the year: Robert Kubica - After the 2009 season, I was beginning to think that Kubica had become a bit overrated. This year, he conclusively proved me wrong, with some absolute stunners in qualifying and races. His qualifying lap at Monaco was just sublime.
Team of the year: Renault - Coming off the back of the Crashgate scandal, having lost personnel and sponsors, Renault looked like a team in decline. With the aforementioned stunning performances of Kubica, combined with a reasonably quick car which far outstripped their 2009 machine, Renault proved themselves to be able to hold their ground.
Reject of the year: Vitantonio Liuzzi - Slow, especially in qualifying, crash-prone, arguably unworthy of a place all season. Two good performances don't make up for the sheer lack of pace in the latter part of the season.
Race of the year: China - Shanghai is a circuit which only really seems to work in the rain. Well, there was rain, alright, and plenty of overtaking. More, in fact, than any race since before 1981.
Worst race of the year: Bahrain - Zzzzzzz.
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Vitantonio Liuzzi - While Petrov and Schumacher have a greater points difference with their team-mates, Petrov unrejectified himself, and Schumacher managed enough places to not look like a complete tool. The same can't be said for Liuzzi.
Most improved driver of the year: Robert Kubica - Yes, we knew he was fast from 2008. However, after a dismal season in 2009, he really put the hammer down and was crushingly fast on occasions. Imagine the possibilities if they get a better car underneath him next year!
Rookie of the year: Kamui Kobayashi - His performance this year can be summed up as such: He managed to overtake at the Hungaroring. Major props. Worthy of respect. Surprisingly reliable, after the early-season hiccups.
New team of the year: Lotus - They seem to be serious enough to really make a proper show of things over the next few years. Managed reasonable success, despite being hamstrung by Xtrac transmissions.
Most anonymous driver of the year: Pedro de la Rosa - Compared to Kobayashi, who was really making a proper show of things, De La Rosa was staid, not helped by the faulty Ferrari engines. Six points for him versus Kobayashi's 32 doesn't say much good for him. Only driver in the established teams to be replaced.
Epic fail of the year: Lucas Di Grassi at Japan - Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. That is all.
Drive of the year: Kamui Kobayashi in Japan. Absolutely nailed loads of drivers, and provided most of the entertainment in the race. Proved himself to be an exceptional wheel-to-wheel racer.
Last edited by RAK on 15 Nov 2010, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

F1 AWARDS
Driver of the year: Nico Rosberg, for doing exactly what I hoped he would do - walk all over Michael Schumacher.
Team of the year: Renault - I did not expect them to be running anywhere near the front.
Reject of the year: Sebastian Buemi - I almost plumped for him as "most anonymous driver" but he has achieved notoriety for me for quite a few rejectful actions this year and just shades it from Liuzzi.
Race of the year: Canada.
Worst race of the year: Bahrain - I actually got up early to watch it, no idea why.
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Vitantonio Liuzzi.
Most improved driver of the year: Nico Rosberg.
Rookie of the year: Kamui Kobayashi - a proper racing driver.
Most anonymous driver of the year: Lucas di Grassi.
Epic fail of the year: Buemi's front wheels.
Drive of the year: Kobayashi in Valencia - I know it was down to tyres, but still...
Forza Forti
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Forum Awards:
Bot of the year: HAS to be Viresh for being Half-Human at some stages.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
rffp

Post by rffp »

F1 AWARDS
Driver of the year: Sebastian Vettel - the fastest driver in track, when he needed to deliver, he did so. There were mistakes, but his achievements outweigh those.
Team of the year: Red Bull - best car, best driver, and paid no heed to claims for Vettel to let Webber by in Brazil.
Reject of the year: Vitantonio Liuzzi - too many mistakes, Q1 eliminations, humiliated by Sutil.
Race of the year: Australia - great drives by Button and Kubica.
Worst race of the year: Germany - my inteligence was insulted by Ferrari.
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Vitantonio Liuzzi.
Most improved driver of the year: Sebastian Vettel - stopped making mistakes at the right time.
Rookie of the year: Kamui Kobayashi - he might not be a champion, but he is great to watch.
New team of the year: Lotus - by exclusion.
Most anonymous driver of the year: Sebastien Buemi - who?
Epic fail of the year: Virgin's undersized fuel tank - did they feed the wrong parameters for the CFD program?
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

ADx_Wales wrote:Forum Awards:
Bot of the year: HAS to be Viresh for being Half-Human at some stages.

:lol:
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Driver of the year: Robert Kubica - Easily. His performances in Singapore and Abu Dhabi were simply stunning.
Team of the year: Renault - Probably the most underrated team of the year in my opinion. Good for them to bounce back after the dismal 2009 season.
Reject of the year: Vitantonio Liuzzi - I tried hard to like Liuzzi, as Force India (along with Renault and Sauber) was my favorite team this year. However, he constantly got outperformed by Sutil, and while he had some decent drives, they were few and far between. Yes, drivers like Trulli and di Grassi did worse, but they were hampered by their cars. Liuzzi had a good car, so that shouldn't be an excuse.
Race of the year: Spa - I greatly enjoyed that race, primarily because it was a classic Spa race; rain, attrition, all in an awesome race track.
Worst race of the year: Tie between Abu Dhabi and Monza. Abu Dhabi is a no brainer: the track has no overtaking, the layout is boring as hell, and even the "champagne" (since it wasn't real champagne) ceremony just made the track look like a joke. That, and it's not even nice to look at, compared to say, Malaysia. As for Monza, I expected a race similar to that of Spa; lots of action. With the exception of the first lap pileup taking out Hamilton, there was nothing on that circuit, and it reminded me of Bahrain. That is not the Monza I remember.
Deadbeat teammate of the year: Tie between Vitantonio Liuzzi and Pedro de la Rosa - Yes, Liuzzi had some good drives; so did Petrov, Schumacher, and even di Grassi (when he was being pursued by Alonso at Monaco). And yes, several of his accidents he had were not his fault (Japan, Abu Dhabi). In the end though, the results count, and he simply was not as good as Sutil. Much of the same goes for De la Rosa, who was outperformed many times by Kobayashi, and though he did have bad luck with the car, other times, it was just him mucking around. I think being fired in the middle of the season summarizes his whole season.
Most improved driver of the year: Adrian Sutil - Really started piling in the points in the first half of the season, and still managed to take points even when the VJM-03 started losing its edge. Considering his erratic driving form 2008 (and some points in 2009), this was a HUGE improvement.
Rookie of the year: Kamui Kobayashi - While he had some brainfarts early in the year (Australia, Canada), his performances made up for that. Staying out until the end at Valencia, passing at the hairpin at Suzuka, and even the drive at Abu Dhabi shows that this kid has speed.
New team of the year: Lotus - While Virgin did start making progress later on, Lotus always had things going right the first time. Thank god they are ditching the XCrap Transmission. I hope the best for them (and Virgin) for 2011.
Most anonymous driver of the year: Nick Heidfeld - There are many drivers that can fit this bill. Di Grassi and Trulli could fit this for not performing up to their teammate's level (di Grassi) or race pace (Trulli), though di Grassi did have some decent drives (Monaco and Singapore), and Trulli was able to be with Kovaleinen for the most part. Nico Rosberg could also be in here for picking up points, packing up, and not be noticed. However, Heidfeld gets this award because here he had a car that COULD perform well, and yet always hung back around 13th. He wasn't bad, but not good either; in other words, middling, and middling makes you anonymous.
Epic fail of the year: Mark Webber at Korea - Cost him the championship, and probably the motivation to continue fighting for the championship.
Drive of the year: Kamui Kobayashi at Japan - Simply brilliant driving, especially at the hairpin. We need more of this kind of stuff in F1.