Kubica and Heidfeld- where now?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
jackanderton

Kubica and Heidfeld- where now?

Post by jackanderton »

If BMW pack up they're going to need new drives at the end of the year, if not sooner.

Renault could theoretically hire them both if Alonso bogs off to Ferrari at the end of the year, and Briatore manages a new record of ruining the careers of two young formula one drives in the space of several months.

Heidfeld's a safe pair of hands, maybe Brawn would be interested in him partnering Button.

Kubica's championship material (though this year he clearly isn't someone you want on your side when the chips are down), and should be driving somewhere like McLaren.

Any bets at this early stage?
JDOD

Re: Kubica and Heidfeld- where now?

Post by JDOD »

Obvious! Obi Wan can take over from Piquet and Kubi can take over from Massa.

They might aswel both jack straight away. Its not like BMW are going to have a turnaround in results before the end of the season, is it? Do two blokes who are used to fighting for podiums really want to fight eachother for last place?
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

I'm not too sure about Heidfeld, but Kubica will definitely go to a top team. Yes, maybe Ferrari, and he deserves it.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Heidfeld will probably get a drive in one of the new teams next year. Either that or he'll stay with the "new" Sauber to help them of their feet.
Kubica... being one of his biggest fans I really want him for his sake to get a really good seat. Ferrari beckons? I was about to say Brawn but with their recent crash in form I'm not so sure they're the team to be in next season
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Kubica also speaks italian fluently, which could give a big help with the mechanics and the engineers at Ferrari. On the other hand, he would enjoy way too much attention form the local media...
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

Wizzie wrote:Heidfeld will probably get a drive in one of the new teams next year. Either that or he'll stay with the "new" Sauber to help them of their feet.
Kubica... being one of his biggest fans I really want him for his sake to get a really good seat. Ferrari beckons? I was about to say Brawn but with their recent crash in form I'm not so sure they're the team to be in next season

I thought the same.
Sorry guys, I had a little outing.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I think Heidfeld would be a good fit at Brawn, although it's hard for anybody to predict how competitive that team will be next season. I agree with the suggestion that it's also more than possible he could stay at whatever becomes of the BMW-Sauber outfit if they find a buyer.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wizzie wrote:Kubica... being one of his biggest fans I really want him for his sake to get a really good seat. Ferrari beckons? I was about to say Brawn but with their recent crash in form I'm not so sure they're the team to be in next season

Same here. I'm a bit torn now, because I really want to see Badoer at least get a point if not escape rejectdom status, but Kubica does have experience with the new 2009 cars, and is be worthy of the job. He would certainly be a surer bet for some good results. He could go to McLaren, though I'd rather not see him as Hamilton's teammate. Perhaps even Williams, if Rosberg leaves, and the team continues improving?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I reckon one of them will definitely replace Barrichello at Brawn, probably Kubica, despite him being beaten by Heidfeld at almost every race this season. Heidfeld should at least get a role of one of the new teams, Manor maybe?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
minrdi

Post by minrdi »

Regardless of any rescue or internal buy-out for the BMW Sauber team, I don't see Kubica hanging around and my bet is that he would move to Renault as the No.1 driver if Alonso goes to Ferrari.

That being said, Robert has not covered himself in glory and really hasn't demonstrated the drive and verve to haul the F1.09 any higher up the charts than its lamentable design deserved. Aside from a flukish Australian GP result, when the chips have been down he has been nowhere, and it's been Nick Heidfeld who has largely had his measure (of late) and been the better driver.

USF1 co-owner Peter Windsor has championed Heidfeld's abilities ever since his debut, and I wouldn't at all be surprised if the "experienced F1 driver" he is looking for might happen to be Nick. The question is, would Heidfeld want to try and salvage his career all over again (e.g. his exceptional efforts at Jordan in 2004) with an unknown, potentially lower-midfield team?
"The advantage of jumping the start is that you can get away a lot quicker." - Murray Walker

Editor, Richard's F1
Visit my F1 website at http://richardsf1.com
Exclusive news, reviews and interviews for F1, IndyCar, V8 Supercars and the WTCC
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Spare a thought for poor old Rubens Barrichello; the way things are going, there's an awful lot of talent breathing down his neck. And Fisichella? A seat at Force 1ndia suddenly seems like something to fight for.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
GinShaiman

Post by GinShaiman »

Given Kubica's showing this season we should be damning him in the same breath as Piquet and Bourdais, he's seems to have lost all interest. A worthy contender would show the odd spark and bit more motivation in inferior machinery. Alonso at Minardi being the classic example to trot out, even Heidfeld at Jordan. I'll admit though that in those examples Alonso was new and keen to impress and Heidfeld was motivated by trying to save his career.
Maybe Kubica is resting on his laurels waiting for a big team to come rescue him but if he doesn't make an effort when the chips are down his star is going to fade.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

GinShaiman wrote:Given Kubica's showing this season we should be damning him in the same breath as Piquet and Bourdais, he's seems to have lost all interest. A worthy contender would show the odd spark and bit more motivation in inferior machinery. Alonso at Minardi being the classic example to trot out, even Heidfeld at Jordan. I'll admit though that in those examples Alonso was new and keen to impress and Heidfeld was motivated by trying to save his career.
Maybe Kubica is resting on his laurels waiting for a big team to come rescue him but if he doesn't make an effort when the chips are down his star is going to fade.

TBH I think you're being a little harsh on Kubica, he might not have had the best year, but he has had to drive a piece a crap, which he could've possibly won with in Austrailia had him and Vettel not hit each other. He's also suffered the brunt of most of the team's reliability problems, he practically didn't even get to start in Malaysia. As for your Alonso at Minardi comparison, why not look at Hamilton this year? He's proven championship material, but his heart clearly hasn't been in it when his car's not up to snuff. To say Kubica's as bad as Piquet and Bourdais is really a bit much.

But then again, I'm a massive Kubica fan, so read into that what you will.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

The acid test is that he's had the same car as his teammate and looked 2nd best overall this season.

We all know Kubica is more talented than Heidfeld, so you can only put it down to a lack of commitment which is an issue about his professionalism and his self-drive.

The Piquet/Bourdais comparison is slanderous though, I agree.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I still rate Kubica among the 3 best drivers on the grid (the other two being Hamilton and Alonso), and it is a worry his behaviour this year. However, in all honesty, he has had to put up with all the bad luck, breakdowns and blown engines so far. He'd been itching to say the team was not developing enough, and he'd often mention how disappointed he was at the way things were going. Please, someone just give him a winning car!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Kubica's still got it, and yes he still has motivation.

But, again comparing to Alonso at Minardi....

It's much easier to push like a maniac and squeeze extra results out of the car when you have a point to make. There's less than no hope for the BMW, and Kubica has proven speed, so why bother risking everything for one or two spots up the grid? A 15th instead of a 17th isn't enough change to make a difference, so therefore at this point, there's no reason for him to try any harder.

Feel free to disagree with me :twisted:
Max Mosley for ROTY 2009
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Robbie wrote:A 15th instead of a 17th isn't enough change to make a difference, so therefore at this point, there's no reason for him to try any harder.

Alonso won last year's Singapore GP from 15th :twisted:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Wizzie wrote:
Robbie wrote:A 15th instead of a 17th isn't enough change to make a difference, so therefore at this point, there's no reason for him to try any harder.

Alonso won last year's Singapore GP from 15th :twisted:

Thanks to Piquet stuffing in the wall at an opportune moment. An unexpected use of team orders. :lol:
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

jackanderton wrote:Heidfeld's a safe pair of hands, maybe Brawn would be interested in him partnering Button.

Heidfeld's useless. He hasn't scored a single win in ten years, and has the inenviable titles of being the man with the most points and no victories, and having the third-most starts without a win. He'd be better off somewhere like Manor, who would need an experienced driver to anchor themselves around. With the BGP-002 likely to be very different to the current car, Brawn need someone who can win, not a driver for whom "almost" summarises his career.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...