FOTA-sponsored qualifying shakeup

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
thehemogoblin

FOTA-sponsored qualifying shakeup

Post by thehemogoblin »

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090730123649.shtml

Lord, does that proposal sound retarded. I happen to like the three-tiered system that F1 has right now...

Thoughts/opinions/recipes?
TomWazzleshaw

Re: FOTA-sponsored qualifying shakeup

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I prefer the 3 teir system myself but after watching today's telecast of the V8 Supercars I say we should return to the 60 minute free for all
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

The FOTA proposal seems really dumb. I miss the 60 minutes session, with no Q1-Q2-Q3 and no fuel loads... The fastest should be on pole, not the lighter.
Sorry guys, I had a little outing.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

I prefer the old qualifying system, though I'd suggest reducing it from 60 minutes to 45 minutes so we get less of what used to happen with everyone waiting in the pits for someone else to run. With no refuelling next year atleast we'll get the fastest car on pole, but this FOTA system sucks and is confusing with many things not explained.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Yeah bring back the free for all but instead of giving them 12 laps give them 20 laps to play with.... and a 45 minute session....
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

I think people need to remember just how dull the 60 minute, 12 lap sessions could be. Quite often the front-runners wouldn't bother going out for the first 30 minutes, as the tracks would get faster and faster throughout the session, so only laps done right at the end would count for anything. The final 10 minutes would be very exciting, but we still get this excitement from the current 3-part qualifying. Add in the fact that engine/gearbox life is limited, and I think you'll find that a return to the old style qualifying could be a disaster.

The FOTA proposals sound ridiculous to me, but they're so vague that it's difficult to really understand how the session would work.

Personally I love the current system, with the exception of the race fuel loads in Q3. A low-fuel Q3 would perfect qualifying for me.
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

Stewart wrote:I think people need to remember just how dull the 60 minute, 12 lap sessions could be. Quite often the front-runners wouldn't bother going out for the first 30 minutes, as the tracks would get faster and faster throughout the session, so only laps done right at the end would count for anything. The final 10 minutes would be very exciting, but we still get this excitement from the current 3-part qualifying. Add in the fact that engine/gearbox life is limited, and I think you'll find that a return to the old style qualifying could be a disaster.

The FOTA proposals sound ridiculous to me, but they're so vague that it's difficult to really understand how the session would work.

Personally I love the current system, with the exception of the race fuel loads in Q3. A low-fuel Q3 would perfect qualifying for me.

Well, if the ban on refuelling for next year does happen, then Q3 will be done on fumes, with the cars filled up afterwards. :)

One reason why it should happen, along with new skills being required of the drivers.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I remember when the present system came into force, I though it was stupid, meaningless and detracting of the sport. After some time, I realised it actually brought a new dimension, and made sense. I now endorse the system, even if I understand it can't work next year, and will have to be changed.

Let's have the novelty and innovation. Everyone is always scared of what's new; we need a good shake-up from time to time. I say let's try, and offer a couple of points for pole-position. That might even spice things up further.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
BB01

Post by BB01 »

The current system is quite exciting. I didn't like it to begin with because it seemed a bit artificial but it worked out ok. The only thing i would like to see would be low fuel in Q3 because i don't like the fact that teams are comitted to setup and strategy on saturday. This proposed system seems really pointless, however the idea of each team running 3 cars, which seems to be mentioned there, would always be a good thing. I would always be excited to see more cars on the grid.
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

They shook it up already and miraculously found a formula for qualifying that works really well.

Trust them to mess with it.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I question the validity of this. It says teams may run a third car, but they also signed a legal document, pledging to reduce costs. How does running a third car achieve that?
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
muttley

Post by muttley »

Captain Hammer wrote:I question the validity of this. It says teams may run a third car, but they also signed a legal document, pledging to reduce costs. How does running a third car achieve that?

They didn't say they're going to race the same car. In fact they're planning to create a F1 Rejects 1987 Austin Metro Supercup :D
Bert

Post by Bert »

I like the one-car-on-track system. No complaining about being blocked or whatever. You get to see everything, the whole lap of each driver, you can see where the mistakes are made. I know this system has drawbacks, such as changing weather conditions.

The one change that I would bring would be to do 2 flying laps. Drivers could then put one in the bank and then do a maximum attack!
You break it, I fix it, or vice-versa.
rffp

Post by rffp »

The more complex a system is, the larger the chance for it to be stupid.
They should stick to the three-tier system and as mentioned by others the fastest car should be on pole not the lightest.
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

rffp wrote:The more complex a system is, the larger the chance for it to be stupid.
They should stick to the three-tier system and as mentioned by others the fastest car should be on pole not the lightest.

My complaint:

If the fastest car is on pole, then there's bound to be no passing for the lead.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

thehemogoblin wrote:
rffp wrote:The more complex a system is, the larger the chance for it to be stupid.

My complaint:

If the fastest car is on pole, then there's bound to be no passing for the lead.

I just realized how boring Formula 1 will be from 2010 onwards.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

thehemogoblin wrote:If the fastest car is on pole, then there's bound to be no passing for the lead.

A) There's not exactly shedloads of it at the moment.
B) The fastest car on fumes will be on pole. This will not neccesarily be the fastest car with 190 miles worth of fuel on board.
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Captain Hammer wrote:I question the validity of this. It says teams may run a third car, but they also signed a legal document, pledging to reduce costs. How does running a third car achieve that?

Economies of scale. In a 3-car team, the cost per car is cheaper than in a 2-car team.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Jordan192 wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:B) The fastest car on fumes will be on pole. This will not neccesarily be the fastest car with 190 miles worth of fuel on board.

Indeed, wasen't there like a whole season (2002?) where JPM kept getting pole and didn't do win a single race?
Making up the numbers
Waris

Post by Waris »

Faustus wrote:

Economies of scale. In a 3-car team, the cost per car is cheaper than in a 2-car team.

So? The total cost would still be higher.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS