The HRT thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
mario

Re: The HRT thread

Post by mario »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Hey, mario, if you don't mind, perhaps you can give us your technical overview of the F111, and perhaps compare it to the F110? Would love it, but don't force it. :)

Well, I'll pass a few comments at the moment - the shortage of rear end shots is a little frustrating, since we can't see how they've packaged the Williams drivetrain, and how, or if, they are blowing the diffuser.

Still, it does seem to be more refined than the F110 - there seems to have been more attention paid to the front wing, although it has been pointed out that the front wing does bear a fairly striking resemblance to the front wing of the BGP001. The end plates are quite simple - and again very reminiscent of the BGP001 - which is perhaps a bit of an oversight when we've seen how much effort many teams, especially Renault, put into that area.
The underside of the nose looks quite much rounder than the F110, and in fact rounder than just about everything else in the paddock, and it seems similar to the MVR-02 in terms of shape and design. The nose cone is still surprisingly low - it is pretty much the same height as on the F110 - given the recent trend to raise the nose to improve airflow beneath the car.

Further back, the next most obvious change is the sidepod air intakes - being much smaller, they've cleared more room underneath to clean up airflow over the top of the floor, and by the looks of things the barge boards are different as well (the barge board on the F110 went down in steps, not smoothly like on the F111). It looks like the sidepod turning vane, though, remains the same as on the F110, although, with the regulations limiting development in that area, that isn't too surprising.
The rear bodywork does look a lot tighter than the F110's too, although there is a peculiar bulge in the upper surface of the sidepod:
Considering that most of the teams prefer to have a smoothly descending sidepod (with the exception of Mclaren this year, but their design is very unorthodox), why they would want to have a bulge there potentially disturbing the airflow across the top of the sidepod is a bit strange. Still, the overall sidepod shape does remind me a bit of the Sauber C30, or the VJM04 in profile, especially near the front.

Asides from that, the only other obvious change is the rear wing endplate profile, where they've now introduced a semi-circular cut out in the rear edge (presumably to modify the vortex coming off the rear wing endplates).
All in all, there are a few more interesting than expected features on the car - but I'd still prefer to have some rear shots of the car to see what they've done with the cooling outlets, the beam wing and the exhaust configuration. There is a possible hint of where the exhaust exit might go in that picture I've posted, which suggests that they may be doing what a few other teams, like Williams, are doing, which is routing the exhaust around the gearbox casing and around the centre line of the car - but it isn't entirely clear.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I note the 'Your logo could be here' logos are still on the car. Here's hoping that the car does exceed expectations and clear the 107% rule (which, by the way is a stupid, stupid rule which only really worked with the antics of Mastercard Lola) regularily. Also hoping a certain V. Liuzzi doesn't crunch it too much.

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:
P_Friesacher wrote:However:
@alanbaldwinf1 wrote:The HRT may not do much running today however. Kolles says some suspension parts and dampers have yet to clear Spanish customs.

I repeat: Hisapnia have yet to clear Spanish customs.

I second this!
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Bob

Post by Bob »

That car actually looks quite good.
S951

Post by S951 »

something interesting to think about here : they won't be the fastest out there but if they are hanging on to the back of the pack (just) pitstops how many will the fast guys make and if the f111 is good on tyres poss they may be in position to not have as many?
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Hmmm...maybe they (at least Liuzzi) will make the 107% cut after all. And, for me, the car looks much better than the Marussia Virgin (maybe it'll even be faster than it...).
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

I'm sorry, but the engine cover shape looks awful. Other than that, the car looks an awful lot like Super Aguri.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
koza

Post by koza »

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Spain's different... :lol:
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

JeremyMcClean wrote:Other than that, the car looks an awful lot like Super Aguri.

Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking that.
Forza Forti
S951

Post by S951 »

for mario

Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

This is unbelievable.

This team really belongs to another era of Formula 1. It should have been founded in 1989 by Adrián Campos' father to give his son a seat after he was fired by Minardi (Campos' family is relatively rich, in fact that's how he got to F1 in the first place) and competed in 1990-91, where they would have fought in the pre-qualifications with the likes of Coloni, Fondmetal, EuroBrun, Lambo and all the backmarkers from that era.

I'm actually thinking about starting to write a team profile for them...
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

It is nice to catch a glimpse of what F1 was like 20 odd years ago by watching and reading about HRT.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Myrvold wrote:Panda Security... That is the worst AV-program I've ever had!

ive used panda for years.... and hrt had the logos on the car last year....
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Oh,

no testing on Saturday apparently.

Parts are still held up at customs.

Im gonna enjoy watching them test on Friday, when im there trackside.

Mabe those F111 missiles are holding them up.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

And what is HRT doing?

At first I was saddened, because I really wanted to see them on the track. Is that even possible that the whole world is against them? :(
But then I laughed out loud - because I'm happy to announce that HRT really is an essence of those good, old reject times and continues the glorious tradition of Andrea Moda, Minardi (meh, I think that they were far more professional) or Life.
I'd be more than surprised if they'll qualify once this year. Hah, I'd be on edge of insanity if they'll actually score some points!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Pointrox wrote:[...] Andrea Moda, Pacific or Life.

Correction - now it seats among the greats.

Go home, Colin Kolles.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
mario

Post by mario »

Thanks, S951 - it looks fairly neatly packaged, although with no real surprises in terms of design (apart from the fact that the pieces of bodywork below the driveshaft seem to have been put in place in a bit of a rush, as it doesn't seem to fit properly).

Speaking of technical reviews, scarbsf1 has written a very nice analysis of the F111 on his blog, available here http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/03/1 ... -analysis/
It is interesting because he had a chance to talk to Kolles during the launch, who revealed that the upper half of the monocoque of the F111 comes from the F110. He reckons that the nose cone section probably also comes from the 2010 car, albeit with a few updates (new front wing mounts, changed camera mounts etc.).

the Masked Lapwing wrote:
koza wrote:Oh dear.....

<span><a href="http://www.hispaniaf1team.com/en/home/228-hispania-racing-will-not-run-on-saturday-due-to-a-customs-problem
" class="smarterwiki-linkify">http://www.hispaniaf1team.com/en/home/228-hispania-racing-will-not-run-on-saturday-due-to-a-customs-problem
</a></span>

:lol: I love HRT.[/quote]
It is peculiar that only HRT had problems with components being held in customs. I've heard that HRT are using Penske designed dampers, which a few other teams are also using (Force India and Team Lotus, for a start), and neither of them had problems. In fact, Team Lotus were able to bring parts into Spain during earlier tests without problems - they had to bring a replacement radiator at one point, which they managed to do overnight - and a few other teams have done the same. At the very least, it looks like incompetence to get those parts stuck in customs, especially when they have had plenty of time in advance to order the parts in...

Meanwhile, according to Autosport, although in theory HRT could arrange for a private test (as they still have several days of permitted testing left), in reality it is unlikely that they can get a test in now. The main problem is that the cars will have to be shipped out to Australia within the coming week, so there would be very little time to turn the cars and team around. Then again, with Barcelona being almost flooded (the rainfall is almost as heavy as in Suzuka last year, when they had to call off qualifying), they probably would have learned relatively little anyway, so perhaps it isn't such a great loss to miss out on running today.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

You know mario, you really need your own blog, seriously. ;)
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Pointrox wrote:[...] Andrea Moda, Pacific or Life.

Correction - now it seats among the greats.

What is CarlosFerreira doing? Never mind what he's doing. I assume this correction was because JDD drove for Pacific, when I'd say they were still streets ahead of those other two jokers.

Pointrox wrote:[...] Andrea Moda, Kauhsen, Mastercard Lola or Life.

We're cooking now. How do you want yours, permed or blow dried?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:You know mario, you really need your own blog, seriously. ;)

I support that motion.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Nah, it's way too easy to forget checking a blog - I just love to be able to discuss and ask questions in a forum to people with that much knowlegde :)
europeanminardi

Post by europeanminardi »

couldn't they test at some Australian track?

it's just amazing how amateurish HRT looks in these highly professional times. we must cherish their existence as long as they're out there. won't be long, I fear...

is Liuzzi (I hate the guy's guts, btw) officially confirmed now? that would really hamper my enthusiasm for them.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

europeanminardi wrote:couldn't they test at some Australian track?

No, Melbourne is the only grade 1/1T circuit in Oceania. There are one Grade 2 in New Zealand and Surfers in Australia does also have that. But it is not high enough.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

There is also Adalaide ...

wait, what do you mean people would complain about a part of the city shut down for a F1 test? Stupid democracies and their rights and stuff... :mrgreen:
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Klon wrote:There is also Adalaide ...

wait, what do you mean people would complain about a part of the city shut down for a F1 test? Stupid democracies and their rights and stuff... :mrgreen:

Yeah! The time in which Democracies impend F1 is closer. Shall that day come, governments must fall! (Oh, and also because some of them are actually heavily corrupted... Specially in the south of Europe.)
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Myrvold wrote:

No, Melbourne is the only grade 1/1T circuit in Oceania. There are one Grade 2 in New Zealand and Surfers in Australia does also have that. But it is not high enough.

New Zealand - would that be Taupo? I just remember A1 GP going there.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Myrvold wrote:

I think the FIA can make exceptions for Grade 2 tracks to hold an F1 test.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

dr-baker wrote:
Myrvold wrote:

New Zealand - would that be Taupo? I just remember A1 GP going there.

Correct! :)

Wizzie: That doesn't really help much. Either they have to go to Taupo in New Zealand - or they have to close the streets, and have a one-car test at Surfers Paradise (not likely).
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Myrvold wrote:Wizzie: That doesn't really help much. Either they have to go to Taupo in New Zealand - or they have to close the streets, and have a one-car test at Surfers Paradise (not likely).

Well if Adelaide is still Grade 2 they can just go there next weekend as a support event for the V8s :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Wizzie wrote:
Myrvold wrote:Wizzie: That doesn't really help much. Either they have to go to Taupo in New Zealand - or they have to close the streets, and have a one-car test at Surfers Paradise (not likely).

Well if Adelaide is still Grade 2 they can just go there next weekend as a support event for the V8s :lol:

Bingo! :D
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Wizzie wrote:

Interesting - Adelaide is not mentioned on the 22/12-2010 document.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Aren't V8 Supercars supporting the F1 event this year at Melbourne? Whatever happened to BTCC supporting F1?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

watka wrote:Aren't V8 Supercars supporting the F1 event this year at Melbourne? Whatever happened to BTCC supporting F1?

Yeah. It's just that the V8 round in Adelaide is the week before
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Simple:

Test on the Thursday at Albert Park Thats 'boring day'.

Im sure they can amend the day!

You cant imagine that though, they probably have to get signatures off all the team bosses etc, and that wont happen.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
S951

Post by S951 »

They should do ok IF they have 2 fully functional cars, remember the test Tonio did with them few weeks back and how a few setup changes made a huge difference, my feeling is Tonio will either do the amazing and qualify respectfully and not be far off the tail end or he will just be smashed

patrick

Post by patrick »

David AGS wrote:Simple:

You cant imagine that though, they probably have to get signatures off all the team bosses etc, and that wont happen.

I was going to say that, or, would they be allowed extra time at the practice sessions on friday or even saturday
mario

Post by mario »

David AGS wrote:Simple:

The thing is, I'm fairly sure that scruitineering takes place on Thursday (being the first race of the season, all of the cars must be checked by the FIA's representatives beforehand), and therefore counts as part of the race weekend. So, the other teams may well object because HRT would be, technically, carrying out in season testing, which is something that they had agreed to limit. They could possibly ask to carry out a shakedown session in Melbourne, though - that, I think, is permitted during the season (but is mileage and speed restricted), and I suspect that the other teams would be less hostile towards HRT for doing that.

However, in reality I can't see them carrying out any testing before FP1, since there is precious little time to arrange anything either in Europe (before shipping out to Aus.) or in Australia itself (not withstanding that there are no tracks in Australia apart from Melbourne rated for an F1 car, or even a test session - and I suspect that the FIA would say "Tough luck" if HRT asked for a dispensation).
S951

Post by S951 »

Main thing to remember aswell is reliability should be ok with it being the williams rear end and hydro which was a problem last year for them TL & MVR. Guess it's a case of playing catchup to refine setup, I don't see to many updates during the year but I get this feeling of they may spring a few surprises. Provided Kolles isn't spouting a mountanous amount of bull excrement

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

S951 wrote:Main thing to remember aswell is reliability should be ok with it being the williams rear end and hydro which was a problem last year for them TL & MVR. Guess it's a case of playing catchup to refine setup, I don't see to many updates during the year but I get this feeling of they may spring a few surprises. Provided Kolles isn't spouting a mountanous amount of bull excrement

I've seen worse (and dafter) things happen to HRT so that is possible. Let's not forget that teams under Kolles management were a bit crap. Midland F1 amassed a total of 0 points, being marginally better than Super Aguri. No such luck for Spyker though, dead last, albeit with a point. Things started improving when the team became Force India. And last year, HRT, despite no testing, did good given general expectations. They've done this without any development they improved during the season, which proved that the design had some potential. But that was Dallara's design. Kolles team may have some experience from these years, but nothing remotely good ever came out of it. Maybe this can change by having Geoff Willis as a technical director, since, as my signature says, for Kolles it suffices that the car looks like a modern F1 car...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.