A great magazine

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Pommy Barsteward

A great magazine

Post by Pommy Barsteward »

Personally, I am fed up with how downmarket - and expensive - Autosport has become. I have however found a better (and cheaper) alternative. It is called GP+ and is an E-Magazine written by an excellent team after every race. If you have £25 to spare, I suggest you give it a whirl. At the moment, you can also access their archive of issues going back to 2007:

www.grandprixplus.com
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: A great magazine

Post by DanielPT »

Shhhh... Don't tell Captain Hammer that you are promoting a Joe Saward magazine. And specially that a team in which Joe Saward is the leader is excellent! :lol:
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Could never beat the 1990s' F1 News magazine. Image Really did used to put the fun back into Formula One. Except post-Imola 1994, obviously.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Pommy Barsteward wrote:Personally, I am fed up with how downmarket - and expensive - Autosport has become.

However, that does imply you've been reading it. Have you got the January 2009 issue with the "Top Ten Rubbish F1 Cars" in it? I know the Lola T93/30 is one of them (because that's where I got the citation from), but I want to see if I can guess the others.

The actual "proper" reference is: Watkins, Gary (January 2009). "The Top 10 Rubbish F1 Cars". Autosport 195 (2): 41.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

I recognise that reference! :mrgreen:

Unfortunately I don't have the magazine any more, but I can remember which car was given number one status, so guess away!
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

midgrid wrote:I recognise that reference! :mrgreen:

Unfortunately I don't have the magazine any more, but I can remember which car was given number one status, so guess away!

That has to be the Life L190.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

No.

I'll give you a clue - one of the most important criteria was that the car should be disappointing compared with its expectations.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

I have the issue here in front of me.

Couple of surprises; incredibly neither Life nor Andrea Moda feature. I'll leave you to guess them though.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

midgrid wrote:No.

I'll give you a clue - one of the most important criteria was that the car should be disappointing compared with its expectations.

Ferrari F92A?
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

DanielPT wrote:

Ferrari F92A?

...is there, but not at No. 1.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Lola T97/30?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Or the Honda RA107?
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

DanielPT wrote:Or the Honda RA107?

You are correct my good man.

Lola is there.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

DanielPT wrote:

Ferrari F92A?

Heresy!
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Was the Ferrari 312T5 in the list anywhere? A world champion racking up a DNQ that's not injury-related (didn't Niki Lauda do that once?) is completely unacceptable, and it was all the car's fault.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Faustus wrote:
DanielPT wrote:
Ferrari F92A?

Heresy!

It seems to be there! :mrgreen:
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

shinji wrote:I have the issue here in front of me.

Couple of surprises; incredibly neither Life nor Andrea Moda feature. I'll leave you to guess them though.

Didn't you do a video about this issue?
mario

Post by mario »

dinizintheoven wrote:Was the Ferrari 312T5 in the list anywhere? A world champion racking up a DNQ that's not injury-related (didn't Niki Lauda do that once?) is completely unacceptable, and it was all the car's fault.

It would deserve to be there, given the famous description that Gilles Villeneuve gave the car to Enzo Ferrari's face (although perhaps it is a show of what affection Enzo for Gilles that he not only let him get away with that, but actually agreed with him). That said, Scheckter was about 0.8s slower than Gilles at the 1980 Canadian GP, and over 0.6s away from qualifying (he was even beaten by Surer's ATS by half a second), and Villeneuve was the better of the two over a single lap (perhaps it showed most at Monaco, where Gilles qualified in 6th place, 11 places and a second ahead of Scheckter's lowly 17th).

And yes, Lauda did fail to qualify once - it was at the 1983 Monaco GP, where neither he or Watson managed to qualify for the race. In the end, Lauda was within 0.4s of qualifying, with Watson about 0.3s further back (although fate was cruellest for Giacomelli - he missed out by 0.03s).

To be fair to McLaren, though, at the time they were using Michelin tyres, and Michelin were really designing their tyres around the requirements of the Renault and Ferrari turbocharged cars, which meant that the tyres were structurally much stiffer (since the Renault and Ferrari cars were heavier and, due to their greater power, placed a much higher strain on the tyres). So, McLaren couldn't optimise their performance in qualifying, hence their poor pace in low fuel trim - but once the fuel went in for race day, so the static weight was much higher, McLaren found it much easier to get the tyres to work properly, whilst the turbo charged teams tended to overheat their tyres. That is why Watson and Lauda made up so many places on race day, despite starting so far back and being at a power disadvantage.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Phoenix wrote:

Did I? Wow.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

shinji wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

Did I? Wow.

I'm pretty sure to have seen it, but you must have deleted it...