Canada to host GP in 2010

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Nin13

Canada to host GP in 2010

Post by Nin13 »

Bernie Ecclestone has said that F1 will return to Canada next season after a one year break.

With the absence of the United States since 2007, when Canada dropped off the GP schedule this year it meant that North America was without an F1 race for the first time since 1958.

However, speaking to Motorsport Aktuell, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has said that F1 will return to the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve next season. "I promise we will be in Montreal in 2010", he told the Swiss publication.

However, it wasn't all good news for F1 fans in North America, for the Englishman says there are no plans for a United States Grand Prix: "Forget Indianapolis," he said. "We are not going back there."

The absence of F1 in North America didn't only go down badly with race fans, the manufacturers were also incensed that the sport chose to turn its back on the industry's traditionally biggest market.

From: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_ ... t_id=38617

Finally, Bernie got some brain!! Now hopefully they will find some good circuit in US to race!!
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Canada to host GP in 2010

Post by FullMetalJack »

Just what I wanted to hear, the 4th best circuit in F1 behind Spa, Monaco and Suzuka. The Gilles Villeneuve Circuit always provides a good race
I like the way Snrub thinks!
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

It's good to see that Bernie is not stoned anymore... :mrgreen:
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

redbulljack14 wrote:Just what I wanted to hear, the 4th best circuit in F1 behind Spa, Monaco and Suzuka. The Gilles Villeneuve Circuit always provides a good race

It's a better track than Monaco, though Monaco is the better event.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Bort

Post by Bort »

When I saw the headline of this thread, I was praying it would be Mosport. :?
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

I think for the first time in at least 3 years I can finally say. Thank you Bernie.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Good news, although that means 19 grands prix with the introduction of korea, and assuming that the Japanese, German and Italian races are confirmed. I wonder if any of the other GPs will have to make way? (Although the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is one of the best out there and fully deserves a place on the F1 calendar.)
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Bort

Post by Bort »

midgrid wrote:I wonder if any of the other GPs will have to make way?

Please be Hungary... please be Hungary... please be Hungary...
Waris

Post by Waris »

Bort wrote:
midgrid wrote:I wonder if any of the other GPs will have to make way?

Please be Hungary... please be Hungary... please be Hungary...

NO! Hungary needs to be on the calendar, if only to annoy everyone once a year! :lol:
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Waris has a valid point. If Hungary goes off the calendar, then we will instantly expect every other race to be more exciting and thus be disappointed.

Hungary is there to remind us to appreciate the other tracks -- because they could be as boring as every Hungarian GP other than 1986, 2006, and 2026 (it will be a good race, trust me).
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

edit- double post
Last edited by jackanderton on 05 Aug 2009, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

Hungary produces surprise results if not great racing, so I'm up for it staying right where it is. Plus it's kind of nice in the money-dominated sport that it's managed to just hang in there under the radar. Is it located on the site of a huge seam of gold or something?

Good news about Canada. I always get worried when good circuits get bumped. Canada has the full package- great lakeside venue, close barriers, the wall of champions, stonker of a straight, hairpin with loads of action, slippery track for the tyres and tough on the brakes, always loads of stuff going on in the first corner and the pits.

In terms of motor racing it should be close to top of the list every year.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Welcome back Montreal. Now let's have some SAFER barriers in some places!
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Cynon wrote:Waris has a valid point. If Hungary goes off the calendar, then we will instantly expect every other race to be more exciting and thus be disappointed.

Hungary is there to remind us to appreciate the other tracks -- because they could be as boring as every Hungarian GP other than 1986, 2006, and 2026 (it will be a good race, trust me).

I think Hungary should saty. It might be difficult to overtake, but it also has a habit of producing an unexpected result.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I think we'll be able to say after the next race whether Valencia warrants its place on the calendar. After last year, it seems as though its probably the worst of the street/temporary race tracks.

We definitely need Montreal as there is always great racing there, and its the only place that ever that a Super Aguri has overtaken a McLaren.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
JDOD

Post by JDOD »

Montreal deserves its place on the calenda (if only to see the reply every year on TV of Jaques crashing into the Welcome to Quebec sign), it usually provides great racing and its a-typical nature tends to shuffle the pack a bit (much like Monaco, Melbourne, Hungary and Monza).

Other places that we need races back in a France (the oldest GP of the lot) and the USA. But I've started two separate threads about them.

I agree that Valencia needs another year to justify whether it should be axed or not, you never know from one race. Spa is occasionally crap but there are never calls to axe that.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Yannick wrote:Welcome back Montreal. Now let's have some SAFER barriers in some places!

and better tarmac.....
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

midgrid wrote:I wonder if any of the other GPs will have to make way? (Although the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is one of the best out there and fully deserves a place on the F1 calendar.)

Just to throw this one out there, would Bernie be using this as leverage to make sure there won't be a British GP (Donington doesn't seem like it will happen and we know how much Bern hates the BRDC)?
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
dresda

Post by dresda »

Bort wrote:When I saw the headline of this thread, I was praying it would be Mosport. :?

Me too.... Mosport is fabulous. But it would need a lot of work (hey, the Tories could throw some infrastructure money that way!)... There are no grandstands at all now. And its in the middle of nowhere as far as hotels and restaurants are concerned.

But the surface is pretty good and its a nice fast track!
'08 BMW F650GS (Jutta), '01 Suzuku DR650, '03 VW Golf TDI (Teddy)
Osiris13

Post by Osiris13 »

I wasn't previously familiar with Mosport but I've just watched a lap video and it looks great. I'll settle for Montreal though - it's great too and I'm glad it's back.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Bort wrote:When I saw the headline of this thread, I was praying it would be Mosport. :?

Mont-Tremblant, I say ...