BMW Confirmed Gone

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Bleu

Re: BMW Confirmed Gone

Post by Bleu »

Epsilon Euskadi raced in World Series by Renault and won the championship in 2005 with Robert Kubica as a driver.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

I dislike Epsilon Euskadi. They only have experience at Formula Renault and Le Mans and even there they are unsucessful. Their only sucess was in 2005, when they won the teams championship and drivers championship with Robert Kubica.
Prodrive is a good possibility, but David Richards already told the press that he doesn't want to use Cosworth engines and the FIA wants to force the new teams to use Cosworth.
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

Prodrive is in a venture with Aston Martin aren't they? The plan being to run as Prodrive 1st year then switch to Aston Martin.

Given Aston Martin's ownership, Cosworth wouldn't be the most illogical choice.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I can't help but feel any team entering at this late stage runs the risk of becoming a reject of Mastercard Lola proportions.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Paul Hayes wrote:I can't help but feel any team entering at this late stage runs the risk of becoming a reject of Mastercard Lola proportions.

My thoughts exactly.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

It'll be hard enough FIA and FOTA having to give Campos, Manor and USF1 the necessary resources they need to even compete AT ALL on the budget FOTA have hung them and F1 out-to-dry with. Adding Epsilon Euskadi or Prodrive to that list seems about as sensible as plonking a brick on the head of a rock-climber with three of someone elses babies strapped to his back and a crocodile tugging at his leg.
Waris

Post by Waris »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Paul Hayes wrote:I can't help but feel any team entering at this late stage runs the risk of becoming a reject of Mastercard Lola proportions.

My thoughts exactly.

Remember, Super Aguri were only created in November 2005, and made it to the grid four months later.
As they like to say at a certain well-known brand, "Impossible is nothing".
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Waris wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Remember, Super Aguri were only created in November 2005, and made it to the grid four months later.
As they like to say at a certain well-known brand, "Impossible is nothing".

Right. The way forward for any team entering now is to get someone's car from previous year and fiddle with it a bit. Imagine the potential for rejectness! :shock:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

They could use the BMW from this year and guarantee rejectness.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Or get a car from a team that went under a few years ago - might the SA08 (or 07 or 06) be rolled out again in 2010? What a joy that would be.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

shinji wrote:Or get a car from a team that went under a few years ago - might the SA08 (or 07 or 06) be rolled out again in 2010? What a joy that would be.

Unlikely, considering its only resemblance to the rules is the presence of four wheels and having front and rear wings.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

I'm not at all surprised that BMW pulled out. They were supposed to win the World Championship this year after all, according to their grand master plan.

As others stated earlier on, this is what happens when manufacturers take over a sport, they push the costs up so far that they price the independent teams out of the game, and then when the economy goes into recession and/or the results don't match the investment, they just pull out. This is the danger that having a manufacturer dominated series was also going to cause, so we need to lose some for there to be a balance between the manufacturers and independents.

I do, however, feel sorry for all the former Sauber employees at Hinwil, and I hope that a rescue package can be put together by Peter Sauber to save this element of the team. Perhaps a tie-in with another of the potential teams who were originally rejected by the FIA is an option?

I will be surprised if we don't lose another manufacturer team before the start of the 2010 season (yes, Renault and Toyota, I'm looking at you).
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente