2011 Chinese Grand Prix Discussion

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
f1-gast

Re: 2011 Chinese Grand Prix Discussion

Post by f1-gast »

Great race and Petrov once again in the points !

Good for mclaren that they won... i hope Ferrari will fix the problems the comming 3 weeks because this isn't correct at all !

Williams no comment.
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Btw, how come McLaren aren't wearing their fancy (but awful) driver suits?

And Jeremy, no offense intended, but it seems a lot of what you have said recently is rejectful! :)
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Wizzie wrote:If Alonso isn't disqualified after that it'll be a right royal farce.

Well some arbitrary punishment is sure to come.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Fantastic race, enjoyed it start to finish.

Also, Liuzzi in the HIspania in "Faster than a Red Bull" shocker!

:D
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Well, it certainly didn't last long. Perhaps Vettel is back to winning in the next GP but this streak is over. 2 stops wasn't the way to go it seems.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

shinji wrote:
Wizzie wrote:If Alonso isn't disqualified after that it'll be a right royal farce.

Actually, his DRS opened on the run to the final corner whilst stuck behind Schumacher midway through the race. I'm fairly certain the FIA will be taking a good long look at it.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Wizzie wrote:
shinji wrote:

Actually, his DRS opened on the run to the final corner whilst stuck behind Schumacher midway through the race. I'm fairly certain the FIA will be taking a good long look at it.

You think Ferrari International Assistance will? I personally don't think so :P
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

I don't think Alonso did this.
Don't forget you drive at a speed of 220 it is possible that the RSD just opens because of the force that's on it.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:You think Ferrari International Assistance will? I personally don't think so :P

If 2010 was anything to go by they MIGHT be Anti-Ferrari now. :P
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Wizzie wrote:
shinji wrote:

I don´t if it´ll have any kind of effect TBH. First, it seems to be opened by a mistake rather than a will to get an advantage, second it was for a ridiculous ammount of time and third it didn´t have any practical effect.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wizzie wrote:
shinji wrote:

It is the second time in the row that he has problems with his DRS. Also, wasn't the DRS controlled by FIA in a way that its use is only unblocked when it was signalled to? If this is the case it is FIA fault and not Ferrari or Alonso.
Last edited by DanielPT on 17 Apr 2011, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
patrick

Post by patrick »

Jenson was supposed to come in a lap before he did as MW said to the BBC. That might have proven to be a bigger mistake than popping through the RBR pit box.
What a race though!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I'd say Button isn't worthy of ROTR as much as an entry into the Hall of Shame under the Severe Brain Fade category.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

f1-gast wrote:I don't think Alonso did this.
Don't forget you drive at a speed of 220 it is possible that the RSD just opens because of the force that's on it.

You think Ferrari is completely aware of that? :P
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

YES!

That's not a regular shouting yes, but a full on Aussie roar yes!
Great drive by Webber.

Congrats to Hamilton, started the race in difficult circumstances almost not making the grid, great drive.

I'm liking the pirellis and the DRS. Every driver is overtaking another driver almost constantly.
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

Cynon wrote:

Look i'm one of those Crazy Ferrari fan's that even support them if they don't score at all.
But im pretty sure Ferrari is aware of that, but their problem is that their sliding back to the 80's when this also happened.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I've just discovered on countback Williams are STILL behind Team Lotus in the constructors championship. Oh how the mighty have fallen. :(
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

J Washburn Stoker

Post by J Washburn Stoker »

The flap opens 'forward' - the drag force acts to keep it closed, not open it.
“The only way that engineer’s message could have been any scarier would have been if it had been delivered in the dark.”
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

Another good race. Sepang and now China.

Firstly I'll like to congratulate Hamilton on a great race. Also Webber did a brilliant race on his strategy to go on hard tires towards the beginning of race.

Good to see that Red Bull, Mclaren, Mercedes and Ferrari are all very competitive in race trim atleast and having a good battle. And also we did not see best from Renault, so we can see these 5 teams fighting it out in next few races.

Overtaking and tire management and pit strategies were just brilliant.

Also nice to see Williams finally finishing the race. All cars managing to finish the race except Algersauri whose wheel came lose.
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

J Washburn Stoker wrote:

Yes didn't recognize it.
in that case it's software failure.
tkcom

Post by tkcom »

Don't forget the top-notch job done by Hamilton's crew to get the car out before the pit closes. That's the real difference-maker.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

f1-gast wrote:
J Washburn Stoker wrote:

Yes didn't recognize it.
in that case it's software failure.

The ECUs are made by a joint-venture between McLaren and Microsoft aren't they? :lol:
McDuck

Post by McDuck »

Decent race. Somewhat artificial because of DRS, but decent.
The USA is three meals away from chaos.
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

1. This is the most action packed F1 has ever been.
2. One more lap and Schumacher might have passed Alonso. After a compromised qualifying, there might still be life in the old man.
3. Two more laps and Webber might have passed Vettel. After a really compromised qualifying, he drove possibly the race of his career.
mario

Post by mario »

F1000X wrote:Nothing can top that McLaren down the straight, if Lewis can get within a second, its over.

Correction, it's over.

Actually, checking the speed trap data, the McLaren duo were fairly slow down the back straight - it was the Renault team that were the fastest down the back straight, and comfortably so (Hamilton was 15th fastest, and Button 16th fastest).

tommykl wrote:I'd say Button isn't worthy of ROTR as much as an entry into the Hall of Shame under the Severe Brain Fade category.

In the post race forum, Coulthard and Humphrey asked one of the mechanics at Red Bull (the rear left tyre gun operator), who accused Button, quite seriously, of deliberately doing that in an attempt to disrupt Vettel's stop. I think that perhaps it's a bit of frustration from that mechanic, but it's an interesting comment to make...

f1-gast wrote:
Cynon wrote:

Look i'm one of those Crazy Ferrari fan's that even support them if they don't score at all.
But im pretty sure Ferrari is aware of that, but their problem is that their sliding back to the 80's when this also happened.

If anything, the airflow should be pressing the flap closed, so I can't believe that would be the case. It's strange, though, that it should have happened, especially simply popping the flap open and shut like that probably would have given him little benefit, and maybe even hurt his performance if the airflow was detached from the rear wing.
I guess that the FIA will be interested in what happened; if it was accidental, that is a major concern - you wouldn't want that happening in a fast turn. If it was deliberate, then there is the question of why Alonso could use the system there when it should not have been armed. I wouldn't discount the possibility that it was not deliberate, though, given that others, especially Mercedes, have had occasional problems with the DRS malfunctioning or otherwise not returning to the default position.

tkcom wrote:Don't forget the top-notch job done by Hamilton's crew to get the car out before the pit closes. That's the real difference-maker.

True - they were frantically working on his car until about 30s before the start of the race, running around getting tissue paper to soak up all the fuel that had blocked up his air intake. They cut it fine, but did a good job to merely get him onto the grid - and to be fair to Lewes, he did very well to keep a level head amidst such chaos.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Libertango

Post by Libertango »

This too funny :
Sebastian Vettel says Red Bull will learn from its defeat at Shanghai, having admitted that two stops turned out to be the wrong strategy

Horner: Two-stop was right strategy

I don't think Horner was watching the same race!
TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

The fact that this race had me, my wife and my father-in-law captivated (not F1 fans) speaks tonnes about this race.

First thing I need to do is work out when I'm going to get a chance to sit down and watch it again.

So proud of Webber, an absolutely stonking drive for the last 40 laps... :)
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Whether you're a purist or not ... whether or not you think the Pirellis, KERS and DRS are too artificial ... if you didn't enjoy that then I'm not sure what kind of F1 you will enjoy.

The fact is, with 15 laps to go, with no pit stops left, the guys who were running 1st to 8th finished, respectively, 2nd, 6th, 5th, 1st, 4th, 7th, 3rd and 8th. And all that was done by on-track passing.

Simply stunning.

Oh, and P.S. ...

eytl wrote:I'll wait and see what happens this afternoon. But if Seb wins and Mark only scores a point or two, call me unfaithful if you like but I'm almost prepared to declare Mark's championship over.

Reports of Mark's championship demise are grossly premature.
patrick

Post by patrick »

adamcooperf1 Adam Cooper
#F1 Seems the Alonso/Ferrari DRS thing was a one off electronic glitch, not a concern for the FIA

A glitch that could have pitched him off the track at 150+ mp/h. Hmm
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Very good race, I have to say. Very entertaining, even though there was only a single retirement. Which leads me into the next point. This is the second straight race where a Toro Rosso loses something on the track. This time, it was Alguersuari's wheel, and for those who didn't see it, it nearly hit some stewards hard. Toro Rosso deserves a big warning from the FIA.

Well, I am a bit disappointed that Massa couldn't even finish in the podium and Rosberg had to drop back; he looked really good and did a mess of Schumacher's as per usual! :) Massa seems back on form and will give Alonso a hard time this year if he continues to drive this well. And congratulations to Hamilton for the win and to HRT for finishing the race and have solid race pace; if only they can get rid of Colin Kolles...

Williams seems on a downward spiral, Lotus is really closing in on them. This looks really ominous and Maldonado is being an absolute flop so far, kind of remembering a...what is the word I'm looking for? Oh, yes, A PAY DRIVER!

And hats off to Webber, only some seconds behind Vettel after qualifying 18th. Not bad for a second driver, eh?
TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

The fact that he isn't here now suggests that ADx_Wales missed watching this race live.

I hope he'll regret it. (Which I speak in a light positive tone ;) )
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

Wow, what a great race! All of the gimmicks (KERS, DRS, Tyres, Fuel) came together brilliantly to produce a fun race that didn't seem too contrived. Very happy to see a non RBR winner and very happy to see Webber out-drive Vettel (even if he did finish behind). More points for Kobayashi too which is nice.

Disappointed with Button and Perez, two drivers I like very much had shockers.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Terrible day for Jenson Button, it ought to have been his race today. Nice to see someone other than a Red Bull win, though.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

eytl wrote:Reports of Mark's championship demise are grossly premature.

Well, it's in a coma. Not that much better.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Perez apologises to Sutil over collision

I'm liking this kid more and more by the day.
Glennerz

Post by Glennerz »

Is it worth mentioning that we haven't seen heavy rain, a big smash or a safety car yet this season? I suppose it's irrelevant is the racing is as good as this
"Those (MasterCard-Lola) laps don't have a time, they've got an expiry date" -Unknown, 1997 Australian Grand Prix
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

A comment in the China ROTR thread about how qualifying means very little now on the basis of Webber's race made me think about how it was broadly a similar case 30 years ago. Back then it didn't really matter where you ended up as tyre strategy, unreliabilty and the ability for a lot of overtaking meant positions could easily be made up. Now with tyres really mixing things up, the drivers find themselves in the same position once more. A couple of years ago, would we really have expected a top driver in a top car who qualified towards the back to have ended up on the podium? It would have been an impossibility that now is quite a straightforward reality. And the really exciting thing is, Mark didn't have KERS to make up those places, and the DRS alone is pretty useless, so it all points to the tyres being the dominant and almost exclusive factor in this situation.

F1 is much better value with tyres like this, and it wouldn't surprise me if other manufacturers have seen Pirelli's success and media coverage and fancy a slice of the pie themselves. Bridgestone really missed a trick with all of this and risk going down the same path in MotoGP as tyres seem ever more durable over there now when only a handful of years ago, compounds and tyre wear were a massive part of the race strategy, and were a key factor in Rossi's dominant performances, such was his ability to ride a bike on it's limit with shot tyres.

The supposed lack of importance now in qualifying however needs to be addressed because we can't end up with drivers just sitting around and not pushing because that's not what qualifying is about. The FIA need to ditch the rule forcing the top 10 to start on the tyres they qualify (it's not achieving much now anyway) and bring in some form of qualifying tyre, super sticky one lappers to ensure there is an incentive to qualify for the race representative to the performance of the cars.

Another thing I was left wondering about was the two compound rule. Initially I thought after the race today that F1 would be better without it. Vettel could have done a one or two stopper on perhaps some slightly more durable harder tyres whilst McLaren, Mercedes, etc could have tried a three stopper purely on softer tyres? But then there is always the issue that eventually everyone will end up on the same strategy regardless. With the two compound rule in place, it forces teams to use both, and with the fairly close wear rates, neither a two stop or a three stop was actually that clear cut as being the best, which is why we ended up with such a good race. So whilst I've always been a fairly strong advocate of removing the two compound rule, I think with the current Pirelli tyres, it might actually be in F1's best interests to leave it in place.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Six different race leaders! More interesting than usual here, nicely done race.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Only now finished watching, maybe being on twitter and the forums is also a reason why I have looked down on F1 lately....

- Webber doing his utmost not to look like Johnny Dumfries within Red Bull

- Vettel too hard on Tyres or are the Tyres too hard on Vettel? Had he won that race would have still been good. Maybe the lack of communication between him and the pitwall caused Vettel's method of driving to change, maybe we wouldnt have had to suffer Vettel's victory toast

- But the compound difference is still wrong, why do both compounds last the same distance? It would be cheaper to make one species of slick tyre that lasts 2/3rds for everyones use.

- Apparently DRS is "Still a work in progress"

Why is it in F1 if it is a work in progress, when it should be trialed in something lower down (GP2 for instance?) before its use can be perfected? And it appers to work in the place where the overtake would no doubt happen had DRS not been there.

- Toro Rosso enhancing the fact that Red Bull scholarship drivers are good over one lap but rubbish during a race.

- Anyone else fed up of hearing how Di Resta has had an "Unusual" route into F1?

- Oh Jenson, in the shanghai sun all mechanics overalls are the same shadowy colour when your in a battle for position down the pit entry... Oh no its a complete disaster!!??? Its understandable.

- Rosberg leading the race is a classic example of how Ross Brawn is good at pit strategy, taken from his days back at Jag in Group C, when there were plenty of pitstops to be made, but it did leave me slightly confused and "what was the point of all that?" when he lost the lead.

- Better race this time around, better than Sepang, so in turn it was better than Melbourne*, Top 8 consisting of the "big 4" just to keep with that Codemasters level of consistency :P, but this is how the big four should have appeard last year, possibly a bit less spread out than today though, Lotus now making a step into the suburbs of Midfield, Hispania getting across the line, thats more like it.

*why couldnt they get this right in the first two rounds?
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989