How did our Reject drivers do in testing?

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
f1-gast

How did our Reject drivers do in testing?

Post by f1-gast »

Well i was thinking a few of our rejected drivers did have actually some great test results in their past.
as expample Takagi, in a test in Silverstone in 1998 he drove the 2nd fast time ;)

And maybe the driver profiles can be updated.
Because probably a few remember that Jean-Louis Schlesser tested in 1993 the Sauber-Ilmor

Andrea Montermini back in 1992 for Larrousse

Marco Apicella Minardi 1987 + 1992

Paul Belmondo Larrousse Lambo 1992 and Benetton 1993
Last edited by mario on 25 May 2011, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarifying the title of the thread.
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
ibsey

Re: How did our rejected drivers it with test ?

Post by ibsey »

Just out of interest how did Jean-Louis Schlesser do in his test? Do you know the reason why he didn't race for Sauber in 1993 or 1994 (after wendlinger accident).

I ask because I was think he might have been another candidate for F1 reject who could have been great?
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

ibsey wrote:Just out of interest how did Jean-Louis Schlesser do in his test? Do you know the reason why he didn't race for Sauber in 1993 or 1994 (after wendlinger accident).

I ask because I was think he might have been another candidate for F1 reject who could have been great?

His test with Sauber was something of a one-off in 1992 (not 1993); I think he wasn't really related to the team. In any case, I doubt they would have really wanted to employ someone on his forties and with only two F1 entries next to him (in 1983 and 1988, qualifying only for a single one).

Interestingly, he did some serious test for Williams as early as 1985...

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Phoenix wrote:
ibsey wrote:Just out of interest how did Jean-Louis Schlesser do in his test? Do you know the reason why he didn't race for Sauber in 1993 or 1994 (after wendlinger accident).

His test with Sauber was something of a one-off in 1992 (not 1993); I think he wasn't really related to the team. In any case, I doubt they would have really wanted to employ someone on his forties and with only two F1 entries next to him (in 1983 and 1988, qualifying only for a single one).

Interestingly, he did some serious test for Williams as early as 1985...

Interesting stuff, thanks for the info Phoenix. I suspect he got the Sauber test due to his Sports Car association with Mercedes.

I didn't know he tested for Williams in 1985 either. Do you, by any chance know how he got on? i.e how quick was he & was he considered for a race drive at any point?
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

As far as I know, he was never considered for a race seat before the 1988 Italian GP. But, as his F1R profile says:

[Frank Williams] appreciated the Frenchman's skill and technical feedback. From 1983 to 1987, Schlesser was an integral part of Williams' testing efforts, and played a vital role in the development of their active suspension system that made its race debut in 1987.
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

Yes it was 1 race nothing more.
The 1993 test was just a test, like laffite also had in the 90's with Ligier.

Here some more pics + info

David Brabham 1996

Katsumi Yamamoto, was supposed to be the pacific driver for 1995, but his superlicence was reffused so for me he is also a Rejected

David kennedy Tested the Jordan 199 back in 1999

Andrea Montermini tested for ferrari in 1991 what if what if !

Eric van de Poele tested in 1993 for Tyrrell but sad enough no contract =( what if !

Perry McCarthy tested for footwork at silverstone 7th july 1991 he was pretty quick.

Gregor Foitek tested the Arrows A11 at silverstone in 1989 he wasn't quick
Last edited by mario on 20 May 2011, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed image link
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

I'm guessing people knew about this one...

Roberto Moreno, 88 - 89 Interim Ferrari?

And yes I've just realised, Moreno is not a certified Reject.

But Anthony Davidson Is...

Many of the Friday Testers with his own personal Number.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Is that the Ferrari CART from 1986-87???
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
mario

Post by mario »

David AGS wrote:Is that the Ferrari CART from 1986-87???

No, the Ferrari 637 (the chassis designation for the CART project) looked quite different to that car - it was much more tightly packaged, especially around the gearbox and the top of the engine. Here's a photo from Forix:

In fact, that test car Moreno is in looks very strange - it is a lot more bulbous than any of the 1980's turbo charged Ferrari's. Moreover, it lacks the periscope intakes that most of the turbo cars used to feed the turbo charger and intercoolers, instead going for those NACA ducts behind the drivers head.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

Phoenix wrote:As far as I know, he was never considered for a race seat before the 1988 Italian GP. But, as his F1R profile says:

[Frank Williams] appreciated the Frenchman's skill and technical feedback. From 1983 to 1987, Schlesser was an integral part of Williams' testing efforts, and played a vital role in the development of their active suspension system that made its race debut in 1987.

Yep it was that race and he was on the lead !!! before he crashed
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

mario wrote:
David AGS wrote:Is that the Ferrari CART from 1986-87???

No, the Ferrari 637 (the chassis designation for the CART project) looked quite different to that car - it was much more tightly packaged, especially around the gearbox and the top of the engine. Here's a photo from Forix:

In fact, that test car Moreno is in looks very strange - it is a lot more bulbous than any of the 1980's turbo charged Ferrari's. Moreover, it lacks the periscope intakes that most of the turbo cars used to feed the turbo charger and intercoolers, instead going for those NACA ducts behind the drivers head.

That Ferrari Moreno drives in the photo happens to be the F88/A - an interim car used to be the test mule for the V12 engine as well as the semi-automatic gearbox Ferrari would introduce in 1989. If you look at it, it looks quite similar to the 640, but it's more bulky.

f1-gast wrote:
Phoenix wrote:As far as I know, he was never considered for a race seat before the 1988 Italian GP. But, as his F1R profile says:

Yep it was that race and he was on the lead !!! before he crashed

Not exactly - he was trundling at the back of the field, then Senna came to lap him and he mistakenly punted him off the lead.
f1-gast

Re: How did our Reject drivers do in testing?

Post by f1-gast »

Then i received the wrong information, or i understood it wrong.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Phoenix wrote:That Ferrari Moreno drives in the photo happens to be the F88/A - an interim car used to be the test mule for the V12 engine as well as the semi-automatic gearbox Ferrari would introduce in 1989. If you look at it, it looks quite similar to the 640, but it's more bulky.

I am aware, 1989 season was the first time I was aware of the season "starting" and that rollhoop area was rather striking, and having observed (recently) it is the "John Barnard 80s Rollover" desgin, look at his McLarens they have the exact same thing.

Those Air intakes were too small. For mexico they went for the single on-top air intake, and then Barnard went to Benetton where the exact same shape of rollhoop on the 90-91 Benettons.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989