Stupidest actions in F1

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Vepe

Stupidest actions in F1

Post by Vepe »

So, the idea´s following:

What do you think that was the stupidest thing that happened during a F1 weekend...

It could be a crash, a near crash, blocking moves (a la Schumacher, Monaco -06) or something...

So basically stupid thing done by driver, team, organizers, FIA, etc... etc... etc...

oh, yeah... explain why, with logic, not like 'because he was a total prick'

I´ll start with this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBO1mX8sKYk

Incredible stupidity by Webber, but also by Kovalainen. But mostly by Webber. Heikki left the whole outside of track clear, but Webber didn´t move there.
And the most stupid thing is, that after the crash, Webber wondered why Heikki had to brake 80 meters be he would have had. I mean come on, you´re in a car that´s 3-4 seconds faster than the another soapbox. Is it really that hard to figure that in a slower car you need to brake earlier? Apparently yes.

And also he wondered why Heikki was trying to block him for overtaking and what was Heikkis motivation? Well, the answer is simple: it´s called RACING! If you mess up with early pit stops and fall to back of the grid, you can´t expect that everyone ahead of you would let you pass until you are in the place where you were when you pitted and after that start to block you.

Also, Webber had blamed Sebastien in Turkey and now he blamed Heikki for the accident. This is, in my mind, also an act of utter stupidity, as it takes to for tango, both had part in it. Although in this case, Webber had much, much larger part in it than Heikki.

So to conclude this, I´d say that both were stupid, but Webber was stupider than Kovalainen.
nome66

Re: Stupidest actions in F1

Post by nome66 »

Driver actions or governing body actions? well anyway,
I think we all know what grinds everyone's gears here.
The Gran Prix of the United States of America, of which it took place in the year Two Thousand and Five.
No further explanation is needed.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

This is surely academic. David Coulthard at the 1995 Australian Grand Prix. Need I say more. :D :D
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
McDuck

Post by McDuck »

The USA is three meals away from chaos.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
karsten

Post by karsten »

i was shocked by a crash caused by ralf schumacher in its first or second year in F1... it was so completely silly!

can't remember with the place it think it was with a sauber flaying around. he should have had his licence revoked!
Missing the good old Minardi! T_T
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Michelin bringing no control tyre to the USA GP in 2005, nothing can top that so far
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
mario

Post by mario »

sswishbone wrote:Michelin bringing no control tyre to the USA GP in 2005, nothing can top that so far

There is a rumour that the problems Michelin had in that race were due to an unexpected resonance problem, due to the construction of the tyre (and in particular the side wall). Given that the problem seemed to be inherent to the construction of the tyre itself, it seems that it would have been quite difficult for them to find a way around that problem.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

East Londoner wrote:This is surely academic. David Coulthard at the 1995 Australian Grand Prix. Need I say more. :D :D

This.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
GroupLotusRenault

Post by GroupLotusRenault »

mario wrote:
sswishbone wrote:Michelin bringing no control tyre to the USA GP in 2005, nothing can top that so far

There is a rumour that the problems Michelin had in that race were due to an unexpected resonance problem, due to the construction of the tyre (and in particular the side wall). Given that the problem seemed to be inherent to the construction of the tyre itself, it seems that it would have been quite difficult for them to find a way around that problem.

And also bridgestone had help from their sister compay Firestone who supply tires for Indycars.
Engineering Student

"Is it because im Black" Lewis Hamilton 2011 Monaco GP No its because you dont ram people off the track.

Eric Bollouir- "the arrogence of the english" Says the one who runs a English team based in England
MansellsEyebrows

Post by MansellsEyebrows »

andrea de cesaris.

need I say more?
Some say GPWS is a bit mad...It is, but blame that godawful Jean Marie-Biasti...
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

For the sake of variety of examples to post here...how about the start of the 1981 Belgian GP which appeared to be a free-for-all of cars & drivers parking whereever they liked. The resulting chaos ended up in a mechinic (Dave Luckett) being serious injured in a awful accident, which could have been much much worse. Given another mechanic was injured in FP & died the following monday from his injuries...surely the people in charge of the start should have been extra cautious.

I know there was somekind of protest during the start of the race which added to the confusion on the grid. But surely whoever was responsible for giving the green light to the cars when they weren't fully formed up (& Dave Luckett was still on the grid)... well i'd say that was a pretty stupid action on their part?

Another stupid F1 action...whoever granted Yuji Ide an F1 superlicense.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
JeanDenisAlcatraz

Post by JeanDenisAlcatraz »

In addition to the bloke at Silverstone, the bloke at Hockenheim 2001.

Except the stupidity there is that we demolished the fantastic old circuit a few months later. :cry:
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Austria 2002. Evryone knew Barrichello was playing second-fiddle to Schumacher but to let him overtake, to win the race, barely feet from the flag, made a mockery of the sport. I think this incident of team-orders finally forced the FIA to ban it.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Post by MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx »

*cough*Hockenheim 2000 :D
Some people are looking for the meaning of life.Me,I'll be satisfied with a cute girl who can tell her Andrea Moda from her AGS...