Your Reject of the Race - Montreal!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
GroupLotusRenault

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Montreal!

Post by GroupLotusRenault »

Rihanna for being in a F1 pitlane when she said she doesn even know what F1 means (I do like her music and her :oops: )

Mclaren Yes Button won, but my didnt they have so many problems like hitting other cars and themselfs, I see Hamilton & Button not being Buddys now

Paul Di Resta Your biggest fan is so upset now seeing you ruin a possible top 5 finish :(
Engineering Student

"Is it because im Black" Lewis Hamilton 2011 Monaco GP No its because you dont ram people off the track.

Eric Bollouir- "the arrogence of the english" Says the one who runs a English team based in England
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

razta wrote:Also ROTR Double DRS zone, for Robbing Michael Schumacher of a Schu-win OVER DUE COMEBACK VICTORY!

Even without the DRS zones, Schumacher would not have won the race. The Mercedes just didn't have the traction in the dry to match Red Bull and McLaren.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Can't choose a winner this week.

Di Resta: Spun off early in the race at Turn 8, and then had the problem with Heidfeld
Karthikeyan: Erratic behaviour when Massa was lapping him (slowed down on dry line and then sped up when Massa was along side). Also lost 3 positions for cutting the chicane.
Kobayashi: Made a mistake at the final restart which damaged Barrichello's, Maldonado's and Rosberg's races
Glock: Last in championship and finished behind both HRTs and D'Ambrosio (before penalties)
Button: He still did some pretty stupid things in the race.
Hamilton: His incidents happen too often to be a coincidence.

QuickYoda41 wrote:Track marshall - after all, it was the most threatening moment

I'm not sure the RBR pitboard man would agree with you!
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
RAK

Post by RAK »

GroupLotusRenault wrote:Rihanna for being in a F1 pitlane when she said she doesn even know what F1 means (I do like her music and her :oops: )

I don't even like her music; in fact, she's demonstrated that she's one of the few musical artists that can actually cause me physical pain with her singing. Her music has, for me, ranged from the unpleasant to the spasm-causing. So, it was no surprise that I was saying that I'd have liked to see her put into Hamilton's car and forced to drive it through the rain. I predict that she wouldn't get past one corner before her neck snapped from the G-forces.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Hamilton for both failing to pass Schumi before taking out his anger on Button on the straight
The 1st start being run under a safety car

and J Washburn Stokers avatar... :P
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
The Mountain Man

Post by The Mountain Man »

Nominations:
3)Kamui Kobayashi. I love him like the next bloke but he did far too many mistakes and when the rain ceased he seemed like Superman struck by a kryptonite bullet. Sixth, maybe fifth place was well within reach.
2)Lewis Hamilton. Enough said.
1)Whoever had the bright idea of putting up those concrete barriers Nick Heidefeld almost crashed into after his front wing exploded. Major kudos to Nick for avoiding them with a superhuman effort.

Dishonorable mention (not racing related).
Rihanna. I have no qualms with inviting over celebrities who don't give damn about F1 racing to promote the brand and generate publicity. But at least ask them to show a minimum of interest or go to the hospitality tent and hit the booze. She was bored out of her skull the whole time and seemed relieved when the two hour suspension allowed her to leave the track.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

The Mountain Man wrote:1)Whoever had the bright idea of putting up those concrete barriers Nick Heidefeld almost crashed into after his front wing exploded. Major kudos to Nick for avoiding them with a superhuman effort.

They're not concrete. They're just regular crash barriers designed to stop a car from going down the access road at speed.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Captain Hammer wrote:Actually, looking back, I think the clear winner is Fernando Alonso for giving up.

Quick recap: we saw the yellow flags go out, and the camera picked up a stricken Ferrari at turn four. The TV director managed to find footage of the incident, and we saw it from two or three angles. Cut back to real-time, and the Ferrari is completely deserted. I expected to see tumbleweeds. As the commentators pointed out, Alonso could have rejoined the race with a push from the trackside marshalls. The back end did end up in the barriers, but it was only a light touch and there was no visible damage. The only way to tell for sure would have been for Alonso to rejoin the race. Yet, in the twenty or thirty seconds that it had taken for the replays to be shown, Alonso had completely abanoned his car. It's not the first time he's done this, either - he had a low-speed spin at Spa last year with no real damage (anything he had was completely cosmetic), and yet jumped ship almost straight away.

The "most complete driver on the grid"? My muscular buttocks he is.

What commentator?

Cos Martin Brundle mentioned something about the FIA closing off the rules loophole that allow people to rejoin the race with any sort of outside assistance (even being pushed out of a dangerous area) after Hamilton did it at the Nurburgring in 2007. That would surely suggest that if Alonso couldn't get the car back onto the track himself, he couldn't rejoin?
The Mountain Man

Post by The Mountain Man »

Captain Hammer wrote:
The Mountain Man wrote:1)Whoever had the bright idea of putting up those concrete barriers Nick Heidefeld almost crashed into after his front wing exploded. Major kudos to Nick for avoiding them with a superhuman effort.

They're not concrete. They're just regular crash barriers designed to stop a car from going down the access road at speed.

The first one was a normal crash barrier, the ones behind were concrete with some padding on front. If the race hadn't been so epic I wouldn't have noticed.
jpm

Post by jpm »

Jenson Button won the race beacuse of Narian Karthikeyan. Let me explain. Massa was ahead of Schumacher after the pitstops, but lost out on cold slicks, but was still ahead of Webber. At that moment, the trio came upon the lapped HRT, which slithered off the road on the very corner Vettel later lost the race at, leaving Martin Brundle to exclaim that he had been "frightened off the road." Karthikeyan trickled back on in front of Massa, and in taking avoiding action, taps the wall, allowing the HRT to 'power' past again, only to go flying off the road at the very next corner again. As Massa is now going so slowly, Webber passes, and manages to negotiate the HRT as it comes back onto the track fro a second time, whilst Massa has to come to a complete stop to avoid running into the back of him for a second time. This slows him sufficiently to mean that Massa comes out of the pits behind Button, therefore robbing us of a 4 car battle for second between 4 different cars. However, the flip side of this was that had Massa been in Button's way as well, he would likely not have caught Vettel in time (a welcome change!)

Having said all that, I would nominate Hamilton again, and Kobayashi (for brake testing Heidfeld), and the FIA for nannyiing the drivers and robbing us of an amazing start and not allowing DRS :x
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I don't think Kobayashi brke-tested Heidfeld. We saw both Heidfeld and Petrov display excellent traction in the changing conditions; far better than the Sauber. Heidfeld just over-estimated the amount of traction Kobayashi had simply because he himself was used to having so much.
Revelo89

Post by Revelo89 »

Either Hamilton or the Safety Car. I'm not sure what Lewis is thinking, but the way he is acting on-track with all these stupid overtaking attempts is making Senna look like a picture of serenity whenever he raced. Someone needs to give him a kick up the rear and tell him to chill out, Button showed why you need to keep a level head when things are down.

The SC since i don't understand how overcautious the stewards have to be, it is justifable when conditions got so bad the race had to be stopped but every man and his dog could see what exciting racing we were getting whenever it wasn't around. Then again you could argue we wouldn't have seen such exciting action at the front for the last ten laps.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Captain Hammer wrote:I don't think Kobayashi brke-tested Heidfeld. We saw both Heidfeld and Petrov display excellent traction in the changing conditions; far better than the Sauber. Heidfeld just over-estimated the amount of traction Kobayashi had simply because he himself was used to
having so much.

According to Rosberg's post race comments, when he was following Kobayashi he also breaked heavily into turn 1, which caused Rosberg to hit the rear of Kobayashi. That was the reason why Rosberg's front wing fell off at the end of the race & he finished in 11th.

I think the reason Kobayashi breaked heavily in that instance, was to avoid ramming into the back of another car in front (can't remember who that was, off the top of my head...I think it was someone like Maldonado/Di Resta).

So again, I don't think Kobayashi did anything dirty in this instance. Just unfortunate for the guy behind I guess? (although I am heavily biased towards Kobayashi...like everyone else I suspect)
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

I've previously nominated race control, but what about... Vettel?

I noticed during the race that he pulled away pretty fast, but then proceded to slow down A LOT. He pulled away from the Ferraris at the beginning at over 1 second a lap, but then the gap stabilised. He pulled twice from Kobayashi I think, but when he was some five seconds ahead he would stop pushing. He again pulled away ridiculously fast after the final SC period.

At that point I had already forgotten about the fight for the win, and I was rooting for Schumacher to keep his podium spot. After a couple of laps where Webber's mistakes allowed Michael to retain second place, I saw what looked to me like a backmarker a few seconds in front of the Mercedes. I thought: "let's hope that helps Schumi to build a small gap". But the backmarker never came, I saw him again a couple of times and the gap was still more or less the same than before. I didn't pay much attention to that until Button got past Schumacher and suddenly started to close the gap on Vettel, who was just a few seconds ahead.

Of course, the "backmarker" I had seen before was no other than Vettel himself! He spent several laps just trolling around the track at a much slower pace than he could. I'm looking at the lap times and he was lapping in 1:20s, went down to 1:19 in lap 66 and the following three laps, when Button was already pushing, he started lapping in 1:17s. You could see that he was completely at the limit in every corner, sliding very close to the walls a few times -the last one, just before his spin- while Button looked like he was on rails. But if Vettel had been lapping during the previous laps in the 1:18-1:19, over a second slower than the pace he had, he would have been +10s ahead when Button passed Schumacher and would have won the race easily.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Ferrim wrote:I've previously nominated race control, but what about... Vettel?

I noticed during the race that he pulled away pretty fast, but then proceded to slow down A LOT. He pulled away from the Ferraris at the beginning at over 1 second a lap, but then the gap stabilised. He pulled twice from Kobayashi I think, but when he was some five seconds ahead he would stop pushing. He again pulled away ridiculously fast after the final SC period.

At that point I had already forgotten about the fight for the win, and I was rooting for Schumacher to keep his podium spot. After a couple of laps where Webber's mistakes allowed Michael to retain second place, I saw what looked to me like a backmarker a few seconds in front of the Mercedes. I thought: "let's hope that helps Schumi to build a small gap". But the backmarker never came, I saw him again a couple of times and the gap was still more or less the same than before. I didn't pay much attention to that until Button got past Schumacher and suddenly started to close the gap on Vettel, who was just a few seconds ahead.

Of course, the "backmarker" I had seen before was no other than Vettel himself! He spent several laps just trolling around the track at a much slower pace than he could. I'm looking at the lap times and he was lapping in 1:20s, went down to 1:19 in lap 66 and the following three laps, when Button was already pushing, he started lapping in 1:17s. You could see that he was completely at the limit in every corner, sliding very close to the walls a few times -the last one, just before his spin- while Button looked like he was on rails. But if Vettel had been lapping during the previous laps in the 1:18-1:19, over a second slower than the pace he had, he would have been +10s ahead when Button passed Schumacher and would have won the race easily.

Totally agreed. He thought he had the race in the bag and then, when he saw Button he panicked, overpushed and went wide. For someone who was having a perfect season that was a mighty rejectful. If he had the pace why settling 3secs ahead? Why leave himself open to nasty surprises? If it was Mansell or Senna they would've driven off into the distance. Well, I guess that he will learn for the next time.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Hamilton -- Should be suspended for a few races because he's driving as if this was a BTCC race!
D'Ambrosio -- Should not have been allowed to start.
Fondmetal Team Malaysia -- Crap.

I refuse to nominate Race Control for letting racing incidents be racing incidents.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

I nominate the ENTIRE field.
Virtually all drivers had their moments. The stewards too. And seeing how they tried to clean the track... uh.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Captain Hammer wrote:The 107% rule is like the microphone at a Britney Spears concert - it just doesn't matter.

That is my new sig.

I'll go with 107% rule as well for ROTR.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

QuickYoda41 wrote:Track marshall - after all, it was the most threatening moment

Yes it was.

Did Heidfeld run in to the back of Kobayashi? If so then ROTR to him.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

I nominate Emerson Fittipaldi, his fingerprints were all over the stewards decisions, I could almost hear him complaining
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Shizuka wrote:I nominate the ENTIRE field.
Virtually all drivers had their moments. The stewards too. And seeing how they tried to clean the track... uh.

I think I'll top you.

Everyone at the Canadian Grand Prix barring the fans. There. :mrgreen:
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
mario

Post by mario »

golic_2004 wrote:

Yes it was.

Did Heidfeld run in to the back of Kobayashi? If so then ROTR to him.

He did, but to be fair to him, because Kobayashi had one rear wheel off the dry line, he was very cautious about applying any power (perhaps a bit too cautious) and almost stopped mid corner. Heidfeld, meanwhile, was applying the throttle where he was expecting Kobayashi to, and being so close behind him, couldn't react in time when he realised that Kobayashi was going much slower than expected.
It must be noted that this might be in part due to the particularly aggressive retarded ignition mapping Renault uses - Heidfeld would have probably had significantly more rear traction than Kobayashi (as Sauber are, I believe, not running a retarded ignition engine map), so he probably underestimated how little grip Kobayashi had.

Personally, it's hard to judge - Hamilton made a mistake in trying to pass Button, although the stewards have said that they considered that Hamilton could reasonably have expected Button to have seen his move. I'll quote the exact wording of the stewards analysis:
The Stewards have reviewed the Incident involving Car 3 (L. Hamilton) and Car 4 (J. Button) on their 7th lap of the race. The Stewards reviewed the lines of several cars, including the two cars involved, using multiple angles of video evidence over several laps, the speed traces of both drivers, the GPS tracking data from the cars and have heard the drivers and team representatives.
The Stewards concluded that:

1) Exiting Turn 13 there was a legitimate overtaking opportunity for Lewis Hamilton as his speed was greater than Jensen Button's.

2) Both drivers took lines substantially similar to many of the other drivers, and did not move as far to the left as the preceding driver, Michael Schumacher. At the moment after Hamilton moved to the left to pass, Button looked into his mirror. It appears from the position of Hamilton at that moment [and is confirmed by the drivers] that Button was unlikely to have seen Hamilton.

3) At the point of contact Button had not yet moved as far to the left of the track as he had on the previous lap, or that Schumacher had on that lap.

The Stewards have concluded that it was reasonable for Hamilton to believe that Button would have seen him and that he could have made the passing manoeuvre. Further, the Stewards have concluded that it is reasonable to believe that Button was not aware of Hamilton’s position to his left.
Therefore, the Stewards decide that this was a “racing incident” and have taken no further action

That said, the earlier incident with Webber was clumsy - though, ironically, he'd done the hardest part correctly in getting alongside Mark through the braking zone, only to try to carry too much speed through the corner and understeer into Webber's car.

I'm leaning a little more towards criticizing the stewards for being overly cautious on restarting the race - I accept that the stewards to have a duty of care towards the drivers, and given that the drivers were all unfamiliar with the wet tyres, not unreasonable for them to be a little cautious.
However, I do think that they didn't need to spend four laps behind the safety car at the start (one lap, perhaps two, would have been sufficient), and when restarting after the red flag, what was the point of staying out so long that most of the drivers were switching to intermediates almost immediately because the track wasn't wet enough for the full wets?

However, I'd have to say that Virgin Racing probably take the award in my eyes - D'Ambrosio was only allowed to race because of the kindness of the stewards, being quite some way outside of the 107% marker. Then, during the race, despite having D'Ambrosio on a wet weather set up, he didn't make up a significant amount of ground - in fact, in the latter stages of the race, it was Glock who was ahead of D'Ambrosio until he locked his front tyres and flat spotted both tyres very heavily.
But, it was the error in putting D'Ambrosio onto the intermediate tyres too soon that might prove to be the biggest penalty - D'Ambrosio had to take a drive through penalty for that, and at the time he had been ahead of Liuzzi. Given that he finished within 8 seconds of Liuzzi, and a drive through penalty is about 16 seconds at Canada, D'Ambrosio would almost certainly have finished in 13th place, ahead of Liuzzi - and, crucially, kept Virgin Racing ahead of HRT.

By getting that penalty, Virgin Racing have probably consigned themselves to last in the constructors championship, and potentially cost themselves several millions in prize money - given how marginal their budget is, that lost prize money is really going to hurt.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

Lewis Hamilton - Carried on where he left off in Monaco, crashing into everything in his way. Compounded by this one being a prime opportunity to take another win.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Lewis Hamilton - I mean, it's just a friggin' joke. How can he be so desperate? It's because he's black or something?

Elche and Valladolid FCs - Combined with the mid-race moonsoon they deprived me from seeing almost all the race. At least I caught up the last 5 laps...

FIA officialdom - I mean, it's a friggin' joke. A lot of the race was spent behind the SC and I doubt the track was that bad (ecept for the moonsoon part). It was because the skies were black or something?
karsten

Post by karsten »

1st place: the **** scared guy trying to get back car's pieces... was he a track steward or anything? he wasn't properly dressed and didn't even remotely had a clue on how to behave
2nd place: Hamilton and vettel 'nuff said
3rd place: race control waiting for 4 laps when the track was basically dry...
4rth place: button

i'm the only one thinking that button saw perfectly hamilton coming and closed the door on purpouse? i think i saw jenson checking the mirros before cutting the track ...

all in all i had a lot of fun and the beer amouth i drank along it was 3x than usual thanks to intteruption and safety cars
Missing the good old Minardi! T_T
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

jpm wrote:Jenson Button won the race beacuse of Narian Karthikeyan. Let me explain. Massa was ahead of Schumacher after the pitstops, but lost out on cold slicks, but was still ahead of Webber. At that moment, the trio came upon the lapped HRT, which slithered off the road on the very corner Vettel later lost the race at, leaving Martin Brundle to exclaim that he had been "frightened off the road." Karthikeyan trickled back on in front of Massa, and in taking avoiding action, taps the wall, allowing the HRT to 'power' past again, only to go flying off the road at the very next corner again. As Massa is now going so slowly, Webber passes, and manages to negotiate the HRT as it comes back onto the track fro a second time, whilst Massa has to come to a complete stop to avoid running into the back of him for a second time. This slows him sufficiently to mean that Massa comes out of the pits behind Button, therefore robbing us of a 4 car battle for second between 4 different cars. However, the flip side of this was that had Massa been in Button's way as well, he would likely not have caught Vettel in time (a welcome change!)

I think Schumacher was ahead of Massa after the pitstops, but apart from that, it's an interesting point. Don't forget, Massa had a very low downforce setup like Vettel, so I think Button would still easily have won, but I think Massa could've battled for 3rd with MS and Webber.

Ferrari and lapped cars at Montreal don't mix in the last few years.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

I nominate the crowd in Canada. This might seem surprising, so please let me explain.

Nice as it was for them to stay when it started to rain so heavily - why did they have to boo Vettel on the podium? Cheering for Button - great, I did that, too. It was a well deserved victory, probably the best one in quite some time. But I just couldn't understand why they disapproved of Vettel so much - I don't think he had done anything unsporting the whole weekend (and I'm hard pressed to find anything in his whole career). He had just lost the Grand Prix - gracefully, in my opinion.

So - can anyone explain? (This is an honest question - I'd really be interested to know. I'll withdraw the nomination if anyone can!)
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Race Control. Starting with SC was not good. Then waiting too long to start after the red flag.

But guys... the 107% rule isn't a rule as the other. It is there for the possibillity for the stewards to kick guys out of the race. But if they feel like it, they can easily choose to let all drivers race, what so ever. That is important to know. There is no sentence in the rule that states that a driver have to be inside 107% at one point in the weekend either. So, before you nominate it, read the "rule" :)
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

P_Friesacher wrote:I nominate the crowd in Canada. This might seem surprising, so please let me explain.

Nice as it was for them to stay when it started to rain so heavily - why did they have to boo Vettel on the podium? Cheering for Button - great, I did that, too. It was a well deserved victory, probably the best one in quite some time. But I just couldn't understand why they disapproved of Vettel so much - I don't think he had done anything unsporting the whole weekend (and I'm hard pressed to find anything in his whole career). He had just lost the Grand Prix - gracefully, in my opinion.

So - can anyone explain? (This is an honest question - I'd really be interested to know. I'll withdraw the nomination if anyone can!)

I am 99% with you on this one (and, by transitive property, with Don Tirri). There is nothing particulary wrong with Vettel aside from Turkey 2010, which was esencially a bad timed reaction after he left the car. He was always a well behaved driver inside and outside the car. The finger? Come on! If so then Schumi jumping in the podium should be punished with gas chamber. Naming a car with women names? Who can feel offended with it? Aside with Button he is one of the most reasonable champion in years. I just recall Schumacher despictable antics, Raikkonen's overall mood, Alonso's and Hamilton's attitudes and this guy is a saint compared to them.

So, to summarize it in one line. I simply don't get the point, even less in this forum for all the bashing he is receiving, and I don't get what people (and guys in this forum) are expecting from him... to stop to save a Panda alongside the road in China GP while starting last on the grid and then winning?

Everybody is talking about Button "unforgetable" win. Aside from the fact that he really made an awesome race, every mistake or misfortune Button have had have been compensated with a destruction of the gap Vettel had built every time the SC went away (and in a so too often way; Alonso's and Hamilton's retirement hardly needed that, considering that Hamilton's car was 10 mts ahead of an auxiliary exit and Alonso's would have needed yellow flags waving at the sector at most two years ago). So even with the "Vettel's last lap blunder(?)", it's hard to blame him.

The 1% I leave to consideration it's around the pilling up he made everytime he had a restart. In any case, he is not the first to do it, nor the dirtiest.
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
nigellamansell

Post by nigellamansell »

My ROTRs (in reverse order):

3 - Hamilton...an easy selection TBH. He seems to think that because he's got KERS and DRS that he's gotta attempt banzai moves at every opportunity. Personally I think with the crash with Button that it was a case of "just deserts" after he took out Massa and Mandonaldo at Monaco. He's rapidly become this generation's Andrea de Cesaris.

2 - Race control. I understand that they've got to think about the driver's safety and I'm guessing that Spa '98 was on their minds but starting under the safety car was very boring. I wouldn't have minded seeing a couple of front runners get taken out at the first corner, it would have made things even more topsy-turvy. I know a lot of people have mentioned this before but the trouble in F1 these days is that there isn't enough unpredictability. You hardly ever see engines fail (as development has been frozen) or other mechanical gremlins.

1 - The pit lane cameraman who fell in front of Rihanna

Keeping away from the white lines...allegedly
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

mario wrote:

It must be noted that this might be in part due to the particularly aggressive retarded ignition mapping Renault uses - Heidfeld would have probably had significantly more rear traction than Kobayashi (as Sauber are, I believe, not running a retarded ignition engine map), so he probably underestimated how little grip Kobayashi had

Exactly. Brundle referred to this in commentary; stating that he had some sympathy for Heidfeld.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

nigellamansell wrote:1 - The pit lane cameraman who fell in front of Rihanna

How about the trackside marshall who fell in front of Petrov?
J Washburn Stoker

Post by J Washburn Stoker »

Collieafc wrote:and J Washburn Stokers avatar... :P

To be fair, I had it first. 8-)
“The only way that engineer’s message could have been any scarier would have been if it had been delivered in the dark.”
nigellamansell

Post by nigellamansell »

[quote="Captain Hammer]How about the trackside marshall who fell in front of Petrov?[/quote]

I completely forgot about him. That was a seriously scary moment.
Keeping away from the white lines...allegedly
howardmb

Post by howardmb »

nigellamansell wrote:[quote="Captain Hammer]How about the trackside marshall who fell in front of Petrov?[/quote]

I completely forgot about him. That was a seriously scary moment.[/quote]

Can anyone tell me when this happened? I regret to say I missed it.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

howardmb wrote:
nigellamansell wrote:[quote="Captain Hammer]How about the trackside marshall who fell in front of Petrov?[/quote]

I completely forgot about him. That was a seriously scary moment.[/quote][/quote]

Can anyone tell me when this happened? I regret to say I missed it.[/quote]

Two or three guys (can't remember) were 'clearing' the debris from Nick Heidfeld's front wing, and some fellow tumbled on track. It had me laughing for a moment, but then it was just getting ridiculous when he fell the second time. He really could have been steamrolled.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Two or three guys (can't remember) were 'clearing' the debris from Nick Heidfeld's front wing, and some fellow tumbled on track. It had me laughing for a moment, but then it was just getting ridiculous when he fell the second time. He really could have been steamrolled.

Then it got really scary when Petrov came steaming in at about a million miles an hour before just pulling up infront of the debris field.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
howardmb

Post by howardmb »

Wizzie wrote:Then it got really scary when Petrov came steaming in at about a million miles an hour before just pulling up infront of the debris field.

Thanks! I'll rewind the tape and look for it. Sounds like it could have been very bad. Glad it worked out OK...
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

redbulljack14 wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:The 107% rule is like the microphone at a Britney Spears concert - it just doesn't matter.

That is my new sig.

I'll go with 107% rule as well for ROTR.

Same here. What is the point of the rule if it's not going to be enforced?

DanielPT wrote:
Ferrim wrote:I've previously nominated race control, but what about... Vettel?

Totally agreed. He thought he had the race in the bag and then, when he saw Button he panicked, overpushed and went wide. For someone who was having a perfect season that was a mighty rejectful. If he had the pace why settling 3secs ahead? Why leave himself open to nasty surprises? If it was Mansell or Senna they would've driven off into the distance. Well, I guess that he will learn for the next time.

Yes, he did throw away the win, but how much damage was actually done? In 7 races, 5 wins and 2 second places, 60 points in the lead. Let's put things into perspective. It's not exactly the end of the championship, is it?
The effect will be more psychological than anything, I think.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Yeah, when Petrov (or Heidfeld, not sure) locked his front tyre trying to stop in front of the marshal my heart very swiftly went on a trip up my oesophagus in to my mouth. Could have been nasty.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.