RIP Manor Racing (2010-2017)

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Waris

Re: Virgin MVR-02 Cosworth

Post by Waris »

AdrianSutil wrote:Have they got any decent testers within the team?

Wickens.

But it would be no use replacing Custard halfway through the season with another rookie; I think he's doing fine and if they're going to replace him it should be obvious that they should take $AKON ¥AMAMOTO.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Waris wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:Have they got any decent testers within the team?

Wickens.

But it would be no use replacing Custard halfway through the season with another rookie; I think he's doing fine and if they're going to replace him it should be obvious that they should take $AKON ¥AMAMOTO.

Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
S951

Post by S951 »

Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

As resident Virgin fan, I feel compelled to announce the new update package that will appear on the cars for Monza- an entirely new rear end, including a Monza-spec rear wing.

The all-telling article on Autosport.

The question is, will it get them closer to Team Lotus, and for that matter, the established midfield?

I very much hope so! :D
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Peter

Post by Peter »

HRT said already like weeks ago that they were bringing a Monza spec package to the F111. So old news :p

Expecting HRT to be ahead of Virgin. The F111 has had the advantage over the MVR-02 at all of the less aerodynamic-dependent tracks.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

That's mostly because Hispania have no aerodynamics to begin with.
Last edited by Captain Hammer on 02 Sep 2011, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

You sir, have just made my day :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

That's right. I'm a day-maker.

I just wish I'd spelt "mostly" right.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Peter wrote:HRT said already like weeks ago that they were bringing a Monza spec package to the F111. So old news :p

Expecting HRT to be ahead of Virgin. The F111 has had the advantage over the MVR-02 at all of the less aerodynamic-dependent tracks.

No it's not a Monza-spec package, it's new floor, sidepods, engine cover, etc which will be used at all the remaining races for the season. The fact it coincides with Monza just means that on top of that they'll be bringing the Monza-spec rear wing and other gubbins too.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:
Peter wrote:HRT said already like weeks ago that they were bringing a Monza spec package to the F111. So old news :p

No it's not a Monza-spec package, it's new floor, sidepods, engine cover, etc which will be used at all the remaining races for the season. The fact it coincides with Monza just means that on top of that they'll be bringing the Monza-spec rear wing and other gubbins too.

As they pointed out, it's actually an old package that was supposed to have been brought in for Silverstone, but was shelved whilst Symmonds restructured the team and shifted the development focus of the team mostly towards 2012.

As for who might be ahead of who, well, to be honest it might be fairly close between HRT and Virgin Racing, depending on the effectiveness of this upgrade package and HRT's planned Monza spec package. To be honest, though, overall I'd expect the relative performance of the teams to be roughly the same as they've been in the earlier parts of the season - HRT and Virgin Racing might be a little closer this weekend, but Team Lotus will probably remain ahead of them (in part because you suspect that the Renault engine is superior to the Cosworth engine, and the drivers spend so much of their time on full throttle that a weaker engine will stand out more here).
Besides, thinking back to the announcements that HRT made around Silverstone, hasn't development work on the F111 effectively ceased? They definitely indicated that development would stop shortly after Silverstone, save for the developments that they'd already scheduled for later that season (i.e. aero packages for Hungary, Spa and Monza), so it's possible that this last upgrade package for Virgin Racing will put them ahead of HRT for the rest of the season.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Peter

Post by Peter »

Captain Hammer wrote:That's mostly because Hispania have no aerodynamics to begin with.

I have to admit, that made me laugh :lol:

But come on, you've got to admit, they've got something going for them now in the aero department.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Renault and Toro Rosso aren't the only ones signing up sponsors at the moment! ;)

Belgian firm Soleco joins for the remainder of 2011.

By the way, if anyone's interested in where Virgin are currently relocating to, it's this building here on the south-western corner of the roundabout. Here's a view from the road, though when the GSV car went past it was still up for sale. There's now MVR logos on the fences around the building and seemingly lots of activity going on inside!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
JeanDenisAlcatraz

Post by JeanDenisAlcatraz »

Just round the corner from Prodrive.

Do I smell a tie-up?
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Dave Richards has been linked to a buy-out of Renault.

Proximity does not equal certainty.
jpm

Post by jpm »

To be honest, I don't think replacing d'ambrosio would do any good either. He's had a good, if not great rookie year, and we should give him the chance to prove himself in a better car before making further judgement. Bruno Senna has shown us the wisdom of that (although I still remain unconvinced that he is any more worthy of a drive, than, say, Roamain Grosjean, Luca Filippi, Rob Wickens etc.)
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Exactly. Virgin are in the process of a major technical overhaul at the moment, so swapping their driver lineup will probably do more harm than good.
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

I've got a question.
How do you guys outside there pronounce the word "Marussia"?

POSSIBLE ANSWERS:
1. [mah-roo-sya] (like the russian name)
2. [mah-rah-shah] (like Ma + Russia)
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I don't like number 1, so I use number 2! :D

Apparently they have a car in the entrance to the factory now, so I really fancy popping down there and taking a photo or two!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

Oh wow, what a surprise :)
Then I'll just inform it's originally pronounced "mah-rOO-sya" :)

And oh, good luck with that:) I by the way remember I had a dream where I went to Moscow and found the HRT factory there and took photos too.
Dallara, 2010
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I've been saying it the first way...good thing I don't have to change it :)
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

AndreaModa wrote:Apparently they have a car in the entrance to the factory now, so I really fancy popping down there and taking a photo or two!

It will probably be a B1 or a B2.

Marussia B1:

Marussia B2:

I have to admit, I do kind of like the styling of the B2. Very Dath Vader.

So it will be either one of those or a show car dressed up in a Marussia livery, probably the MVR-02 or the ex-Super Aguri show car they have been using for demos in Sochi.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Haha no I meant an F1 car! :lol:

I'm guessing it's a VR-01, but having not seen it, it could be any combination of spare parts, a bit like the Red Bull show cars are these days!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

I've been pronouncing it: Mah-roo-she-ah! I'm obviously wrong :shock:
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Most of the versions I've heard are "mah-roo-shee-uh", but sometimes I hear "mah-roos-jah".
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Apparently I've been saying the 1st because it is closer to the Portuguese way. And it is the right way or so it seems. It looks like people who said Portuguese, when spoken, sounded similar to Russian were right all along.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

DanielPT wrote:Apparently I've been saying the 1st because it is closer to the Portuguese way. And it is the right way or so it seems. It looks like people who said Portuguese, when spoken, sounded similar to Russian were right all along.

Confirm.
Dallara, 2010
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

AndreaModa wrote:I don't like number 1, so I use number 2! :D
Apparently they have a car in the entrance to the factory now, so I really fancy popping down there and taking a photo or two!

Exhibits A and B show a VR-01 decked out in the livery of the 02.

The first shows the colours better, the second is better to show the shape of the 01.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

That's definitely not the Banbury factory though because it faces onto a housing estate on the other side of the road, and has a car park and hedge between the factory and the road itself. I'm guessing that's Manor's facility in Yorkshire? Though I suspect they are the cars that are now in the reception of the factory in Banbury.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

AndreaModa wrote:That's definitely not the Banbury factory though because it faces onto a housing estate on the other side of the road, and has a car park and hedge between the factory and the road itself. I'm guessing that's Manor's facility in Yorkshire? Though I suspect they are the cars that are now in the reception of the factory in Banbury.

It's definitely Manor's facility in Rotherham. Been there several times before 2010.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97139

So Pat Symmonds reckons that the MVR-02 wasn't too bad and had some potential but was lacking in aerodynamics, which he also points out is the source of most of the performance of a Formula 1 car. Duh.
I've met Pat several times and he is a very interesting bloke, but this is a somewhat pointless statement and I wouldn't have expected something like this from him.
mario

Post by mario »

Faustus wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97139

So Pat Symmonds reckons that the MVR-02 wasn't too bad and had some potential but was lacking in aerodynamics, which he also points out is the source of most of the performance of a Formula 1 car. Duh.
I've met Pat several times and he is a very interesting bloke, but this is a somewhat pointless statement and I wouldn't have expected something like this from him.

I wonder if he went into more detail originally, only for Autosport to cut down his comments so they could make more room to wax lyrical about Kimi's return...

Speaking of which, I understand that at the Autosport show Xtrac have been showing off the gearbox that was used on the MVR-02 last year - here's a shot of it http://a.yfrog.com/img736/2254/yukzy.jpg
Now, IIRC a few forum members were going to the Autosport show this year, so did anybody manage to get a good look at that gearbox?
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

mario wrote:I wonder if he went into more detail originally, only for Autosport to cut down his comments so they could make more room to wax lyrical about Kimi's return...

There was a full interview in Autosport Plus, but you need to subscribe to read it. It wouldn't suprise me if they did it so that there was more space for Kimiwatch 2012!. They did it again last night when Kimiwatch 2012! got the top story - Kimi Raikkonen did an installation lap. Experts predicted a high likelihood that he would do a second lap some time later in the day. That, according to Kimiwatch 2012!, was news.
mario

Post by mario »

Captain Hammer wrote:
mario wrote:I wonder if he went into more detail originally, only for Autosport to cut down his comments so they could make more room to wax lyrical about Kimi's return...

There was a full interview in Autosport Plus, but you need to subscribe to read it. It wouldn't suprise me if they did it so that there was more space for Kimiwatch 2012!. They did it again last night when Kimiwatch 2012! got the top story - Kimi Raikkonen did an installation lap. Experts predicted a high likelihood that he would do a second lap some time later in the day. That, according to Kimiwatch 2012!, was news.

I can only assume that Group Lotus have been very generous with their sponsorship of the Autosport show in recent years, such that Autosport feel somewhat obliged to run good news stories about the team on a constant basis. It is getting extremely wearisome though, especially if they are cutting short other stories to concentrate on Kimi (I would be more interested to know more about how Symonds has restructured the team, for example, and how their design team has been overhauled).
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

That question comes screaming to the fore again... as I discovered some photos on Faceache where Charles Pic visited Paris with the M(V)R team.

This time, they've unearthed the old car with the odd sidepods, the same design that's allegedly "Timo Glock's VR-01" parked in UST Global's offices (you know, that picture that's on Wikipedia) and maybe hoped nobody would notice...

It also appears to have the beginnings of a shark fin...

I need to know what this car was. Was it a kind of pre-VR-01 test hack that didn't work?

Part of me wants to do a factory tour if they're offered again, just so I can get to the bottom of this...
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
S951

Post by S951 »

Could it pos be someone old 09 machine now a show car??
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

It's definitely the 2010 car.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

It's certainly not the car that took to the track in Bahrain, or any of the other races...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Marussia have decided not to use KERS again for this season. We shall see if that proves to be a wise choice. Does either Caterham or HRT plan on using KERS this year?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97195

1100th post mark reached! :D
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

East Londoner wrote:Marussia have decided not to use KERS again for this season. We shall see if that proves to be a wise choice. Does either Caterham or HRT plan on using KERS this year?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97195

1100th post mark reached! :D

Given the way the rules have been built and the performance of the teams not using it, I would say that is not very wise. I think they had no other choice as only Williams have KERS built for Cosworth engines and those are promised to HRT. KERS is probably worth 0.5s per lap so they must gain elsewhere if they are expected to battle it out with, say, Caterham. (The HRT car is still a bit of a mistery).
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

DanielPT wrote:Given the way the rules have been built and the performance of the teams not using it, I would say that is not very wise. I think they had no other choice as only Williams have KERS built for Cosworth engines and those are promised to HRT. KERS is probably worth 0.5s per lap so they must gain elsewhere if they are expected to battle it out with, say, Caterham. (The HRT car is still a bit of a mistery).

Booth once said that KERS is a waste of money and so far he insists on not putting it in their 2012 car.
Don't get me going on KERS!" Booth says. "The £5-8m cost... we could get a wind tunnel running for that, which would be worth a lot more than four tenths from where we are. If you're looking for that last four tenths, fine, but that £8m would be a massive boost to our development budget. KERS is the biggest waste of money there's been in F1 since active suspension."

He has a point... sort of.

I wonder if HRT F112 will be a radical design and how will they benefit from KERS.