2015 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Frogfoot9013

Re: 2015 Silly Season Thread

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

I think Lotus are just jumping on the female driver bandwagon to gain attention. It's little more than a publicity stunt. There are far more competent female drivers out there than Carmen Jorda, although still, it's one of the most rejectful driver choices ever made, as she only has 5 podiums in her career, none of which are overall podiums, they're class podiums.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Milka Duno for Red Bull!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:I think Lotus are just jumping on the female driver bandwagon to gain attention. It's little more than a publicity stunt. There are far more competent female drivers out there than Carmen Jorda, although still, it's one of the most rejectful driver choices ever made, as she only has 5 podiums in her career, none of which are overall podiums, they're class podiums.

There is no other way of viewing it. It's downright impossible for Carmen to get a new rules Superlicence in the next couple of years. She has 0 points for it at the moment.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

DanielPT wrote:
Frogfoot9013 wrote:I think Lotus are just jumping on the female driver bandwagon to gain attention. It's little more than a publicity stunt. There are far more competent female drivers out there than Carmen Jorda, although still, it's one of the most rejectful driver choices ever made, as she only has 5 podiums in her career, none of which are overall podiums, they're class podiums.

There is no other way of viewing it. It's downright impossible for Carmen to get a new rules Superlicence in the next couple of years. She has 0 points for it at the moment.

I highly doubt they'll even let her in the car. The simulator is as far as she'll get, and even then, any feedback she might have is pretty much worthless compared to what Pastor and Romain can offer.

Despite that though, unless Manor can pull off something crazy and put a no-hoper in their second seat, signing Jorda has probably been my favourite off-season hiring this year!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:I highly doubt they'll even let her in the car. The simulator is as far as she'll get, and even then, any feedback she might have is pretty much worthless compared to what Pastor and Romain can offer.

Despite that though, unless Manor can pull off something crazy and put a no-hoper in their second seat, signing Jorda has probably been my favourite off-season hiring this year!

One of Jorda's ex-GP3 team mates rather bitingly commented that Jorda couldn't even develop a piece of film, let alone a car, so I would be rather surprised if she was given a simulator test role (I would assume that Palmer was hired to undertake that role). Like other posters, I would have to agree that the way in which she has been appointed suggests that Lotus intend her role to be one aiming for the maximum press coverage for the team than anything else.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

mario wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:I highly doubt they'll even let her in the car. The simulator is as far as she'll get, and even then, any feedback she might have is pretty much worthless compared to what Pastor and Romain can offer.

One of Jorda's ex-GP3 team mates rather bitingly commented that Jorda couldn't even develop a piece of film, let alone a car, so I would be rather surprised if she was given a simulator test role (I would assume that Palmer was hired to undertake that role). Like other posters, I would have to agree that the way in which she has been appointed suggests that Lotus intend her role to be one aiming for the maximum press coverage for the team than anything else.

The only reason I mentioned the sim Mario was because I seem to remember it being mentioned when Lotus made the announcement that she'd been hired. I think it might have been her soundbite for the article - something about helping the team to develop the car. I do agree though that the reality is Lotus probably won't let her even do that.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

The real purpose/role is to keep the old man grumpy-happy rather than grumpy-grumpy.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Possibly even using it as appeasement for Bernie to get an advance on their prize money payments? We all know how he is keen to see more female drivers in the sport for the PR spin...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Biscione wrote:Possibly even using it as appeasement for Bernie to get an advance on their prize money payments? We all know how he is keen to see more female drivers in the sport for the PR spin...

I can see how that pleases the 70 year old target audience...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:
Biscione wrote:Possibly even using it as appeasement for Bernie to get an advance on their prize money payments? We all know how he is keen to see more female drivers in the sport for the PR spin...

I can see how that pleases the 70 year old target audience...

And we can all imagine what Stirling Moss would make of Carmen's skill set...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
razta

Post by razta »

I don't know if this is the place to put this but a rather BRILLIANT Conspiracy theory/Prophecy has been found on Reddit.. here goes..
http://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/commen ... s_and_but/
Ok, so while I was just browsing Wikipedia articles about F1, I found an interesting coincidence between Jenson and Nico. Here's the list:
•Both began their careers at Williams •Both won their first race in their 7th season with technically the same team (Honda-Brawn-Mercedes) •Both drivers have the only helmets on the grid that have their name as the main design. •Both had teammates that were teammates themselves (Rubens and Schumi)
So therefore I'd like to conclude with this: •Jenson won his championship in his 10th season of Formula 1.
2015 is Nico's 10th season.
You heard it here first. And when it does, both have won the title after Lewis.
EDIT: Due to heated debate over Nico's helmet, I will reword the third bullet and state another coincidence I have discovered.
•Both drivers have their name most visible on their helmets.
•Both have gotten married in 2014.
•Both of their helmets are influenced by their wives (Nico has "ViVi" on his and Jenson has Japanese influence on his for his wife.)
•Their marriages describe their teams, McLaren is British-Japanese as so with Jenson's marriage, Nico and Vivian is all German, like Mercedes.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Tinfoil hats for reddit...

razta wrote:•Both of their helmets are influenced by their wives (Nico has "ViVi" on his and Jenson has Japanese influence on his for his wife.)

I look at the "VI" on Nico's helmet and I see the Roman numerals for 6. As for the number on his car...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

However, Nico Rosberg is not a mere midfielder propelled to a world title by his better teammate being stopped by the incompetence of his team, so yeah... :roll:
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Klon wrote:However, Nico Rosberg is not a mere midfielder propelled to a world title by his better teammate being stopped by the incompetence of his team, so yeah... :roll:

Indeed - the difference is that Nico was stopped by his own incompetence whilst being beaten by his superior team-mate, while Jenson effortlessly strolled to the title by the virtue of being the better driver in the team. ;)
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Looking at photos of Carmen Jorda, I'm afraid her neck just doesn't look like that of a race car driver. Even Sakon Yamamoto has got a thicker neck. Which is probably better for her.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Imagine me drunk, 10 years younger, drugged, falling asleep in each straight line with a Havana cigar in his left hand and scratching my ass with the other, driving the Lotus without touching the steering wheel, I would probably go faster than she ever will go

That's my opinion about Carmen
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:Imagine me drunk, 10 years younger, drugged, falling asleep in each straight line with a Havana cigar in his left hand and scratching my ass with the other, driving the Lotus without touching the steering wheel, I would probably go faster than she ever will go

Well ain't that charming
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
AdrianBelmonte_

Rob Dylan wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:Imagine me drunk, 10 years younger, drugged, falling asleep in each straight line with a Havana cigar in his left hand and scratching my ass with the other, driving the Lotus without touching the steering wheel, I would probably go faster than she ever will go

Well ain't that charming

I wanted to seem that mean, everything was planned
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote: I would probably go faster than she ever will go.

So how fast can she go? Does she take it slowly and gently, or is she quite fast and vigorous?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AdrianBelmonte_

dr-baker wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote: I would probably go faster than she ever will go.

So how fast can she go? Does she take it slowly and gently, or is she quite fast and vigorous?

Only 4-6 seconds slower than me
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Waris

Post by Waris »

Maybe we should stop talking about Carmen Jordà now. I think it's a crying shame that someone like Simona De Silvestro isn't able to advance her career into F1 further due to lack of funds, whereas this girl who has no talent at all gets a "test driver" role basically handed to her. (not that it's going to get her anywhere but still)

I really hate that I'm saying this, but right now I almost wish Simona had married Toto Wolff, at least then she would've stood a decent chance of getting a F1 drive.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

We should stop talking about Jorda as not only to do so is the whole point of why Lotus signed her up in the first place but as she's receiving much more focus than some other useless male driver the difference fires up a whole other set of issues.
Just For One Day...
razta

Post by razta »

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Hami ... 87676.html

that's fine by me - actually I'd pay good money to see Vettel V Hamilton in the same team.. and take your Lewhysteria with you
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

razta wrote:http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Hamilton-linked-with-Ferrari-switch,87676.html

that's fine by me - actually I'd pay good money to see Vettel V Hamilton in the same team.. and take your Lewhysteria with you

Hamilton has fans in Italy?! :shock:
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Backmarker wrote:
razta wrote:http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Hamilton-linked-with-Ferrari-switch,87676.html

Hamilton has fans in Italy?! :shock:

He's probably got a lot of fans around the world who don't speak English because on track he's a great little driver. It's only when he's off track and gobbing off about such esoteric subjects as becoming a rap artist, handling things like Senna and being 'true to himself' that people often get the urge to push him down a flight of stairs.
Just For One Day...
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

CoopsII wrote:He's probably got a lot of fans around the world who don't speak English because on track he's a great little driver. It's only when he's off track and gobbing off about such esoteric subjects as becoming a rap artist, handling things like Senna and being 'true to himself' that people often get the urge to push him down a flight of stairs.

I can imagine that is the case. Lewis Hamilton is an awesome driver, there is little doubt about that. I for my part only dislike him because he is a total jackass and I doubt I would do so if I wasn't capable of understanding the English language as well as I happen to do.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Klon wrote:
CoopsII wrote:He's probably got a lot of fans around the world who don't speak English because on track he's a great little driver. It's only when he's off track and gobbing off about such esoteric subjects as becoming a rap artist, handling things like Senna and being 'true to himself' that people often get the urge to push him down a flight of stairs.

I can imagine that is the case. Lewis Hamilton is an awesome driver, there is little doubt about that. I for my part only dislike him because he is a total jackass and I doubt I would do so if I wasn't capable of understanding the English language as well as I happen to do.

Same. Though add ultra annoying repetitive media bias and blind bloody-minded fanboys to that. On track, I find hes one of the most exciting to watch and if anything is in the wrong era of F1 (He would have suited the late 90s if you ask me)
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
razta

Post by razta »

THANK YOU SIR!!!
mario

Post by mario »

All I can see in that article is that usual case of a journalist thinking that 2 and 2 equals 22, as the old joke goes - to be honest, I read Hamilton's comments to Autosprint as him simply making a few comments to flatter the Italian media.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The BBC comment section is a bit dangerous, isn't it? They seem to have a lot of experts on the inside posting under lowercase names on the comments section of a BBC F1 article...

But yes, I am impressed at the lack of use of the words "psychological edge" on that page :?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Roberto Merhi has signed for Manor
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

GwilymJJames wrote:Roberto Merhi has signed for Manor

How DARE they sign the man who stole Lotterer's free practice time at Monza?! :P

I'm happy for him and for the team. Now all they have to do is unveil that updated car. :D
#FreeGonzo
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Interestingly its only a one race deal at present. Not sure if this means that Merhi doesn't bring enough dough to the table, that Manor don't exist to survive long, that its such short notice they are not in a position to sign a longer deal, or a combination of the above.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Waris

Post by Waris »

I wish F1 teams were allowed to use more than 5 drivers in a season -- we could see a string of paydrivers in the second Manor seat.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Waris wrote:I wish F1 teams were allowed to use more than 5 drivers in a season -- we could see a string of paydrivers in the second Manor seat.

Not only should it be allowed, it should be mandatory. :P

Manor have announced on their Facebook that they've signed Jordan King as a development driver. I can hear people screaming "nepotism" already.
#FreeGonzo
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

watka wrote:

Interestingly its only a one race deal at present. Not sure if this means that Merhi doesn't bring enough dough to the table, that Manor don't exist to survive long, that its such short notice they are not in a position to sign a longer deal, or a combination of the above.

Is there anything official saying that Merhi only has a one-race deal? I've only seen it speculated on click-bait websites that he'll only race in Round 1.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
mario

Post by mario »

AustralianStig wrote:
watka wrote:

Is there anything official saying that Merhi only has a one-race deal? I've only seen it speculated on click-bait websites that he'll only race in Round 1.

I think that the reason why there is some speculation over how many races Merhi will do is the fact that Maor said he'd be racing for "the opening rounds". Moreover, it appears that Merhi still has a contract to compete for Pons in the Formula Renault 3.5 series - those two points appear to suggest that the deal is only short term rather than for the whole season.
AdrianBelmonte_

mario wrote:I think that the reason why there is some speculation over how many races Merhi will do is the fact that Maor said he'd be racing for "the opening rounds". Moreover, it appears that Merhi still has a contract to compete for Pons in the Formula Renault 3.5 series - those two points appear to suggest that the deal is only short term rather than for the whole season.

Webber also had a short term contract in 2002 with Minardi, was a 3-race deal, was extended until the end of the season after getting some points on the inaugural race, so there's hope for Roberto
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Funny the numbers of drivers who have switched between Caterham and Marussia - Merhi, Stevens, Rossi, then of course there was Pic who went the other way! :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)