The Junior Series Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dr-baker

Re: The Junior Series Thread

Post by dr-baker »

novitopoli wrote:
Backmarker wrote:Oliver Rowland won Formula Renault 3.5 at the weekend. Hard to see him ever stepping up to Formula One, as he only manages a career at the moment thanks to the Racing Steps Foundation, who won't fund a Formula One seat.

It's a shame, 'cause he has a fair share of talent. Hope he can find some good sponsors...

It's a shame, 'cause I would have liked to have seen a return of the 1995 Footwork Arrows livery to F1...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

golic_2004 wrote:
novitopoli wrote:
Backmarker wrote:Oliver Rowland won Formula Renault 3.5 at the weekend. Hard to see him ever stepping up to Formula One, as he only manages a career at the moment thanks to the Racing Steps Foundation, who won't fund a Formula One seat.

It's a shame, 'cause he has a fair share of talent. Hope he can find some good sponsors...

Maybe Indycar or Formula E could be in the near future if not F1, if he's looking to continue in open wheel.

Yeah he'll probably go the way of James Calado and Sam Bird and end up in sportscars, maybe with a sideline in Formula E.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

It's a shame, 'cause he has a fair share of talent. Hope he can find some good sponsors...[/quote]

Maybe Indycar or Formula E could be in the near future if not F1, if he's looking to continue in open wheel.[/quote]

Yeah he'll probably go the way of James Calado and Sam Bird and end up in sportscars, maybe with a sideline in Formula E.[/quote]

Yep- Rowland, Calado, Bird...and that's just the Brits who couldnt find F1 seats. I am a big fan of the 'Junior' series, and the current GP2 field, and some of the WSR 3.5 are real quality drivers. So many of them could do at least a reasonable job in a F1 car. But with 20/22 F1 seats ( fewer if Red Bull/Toro Rosso don't get engines), and the longevity of careers for those who squeeze into F1..there's no chance for most of these GP2 etc drivers to even have a few laps F1 racing in an Osella ..or whatever....like in the old days.

That really must be so hard for these drivers to take - and if you're not Red Bull , Honda, Ferrari linked its even worse. How do you think you'll get in to F1 realistically? And to me F1 isn't healthy with less-than-full grids, rejecting potential applicants for grid places despite relying on Red Bull, and knowing that a couple of teams struggle to survive every year.

I suppose it just makes me a bit sad, and makes me admire the optimism of those who keep trying in GP2 etc despite seeing Leimar, Valsecchi, Calado, Bird, Pantano, Frijns etc get nothing but a bit of F1 testing or Friday practice... And what is Stoffel going to do next year? and Magnussen? And yet they're the 'chosen ones', with support..
For drivers locked out of the best DAMS/ART places by F1-affiliated drivers on funded programmes (and 'comfortable' spending multiple years in the programme) , it must be even worse.

I admire them all for their optimism. Still at least its fun for them to race in brilliant cars, on terrific tracks while waiting for an opportunity.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

How profound, yannicksamlad.

In GP2 news, Formula 3.5 front-runner and cancer survivor Dean Stoneman will make his debut with Carlin at Sochi. http://www.paddockscout.com/dean-stonem ... ochi/31215
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

golic_2004 wrote:In GP2 news, Formula 3.5 front-runner and cancer survivor Dean Stoneman will make his debut with Carlin at Sochi. http://www.paddockscout.com/dean-stonem ... ochi/31215

Good luck to Stoneman, to be able to fight back from such serious health issues and still be just as quick is no easy feat
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:
golic_2004 wrote:In GP2 news, Formula 3.5 front-runner and cancer survivor Dean Stoneman will make his debut with Carlin at Sochi. http://www.paddockscout.com/dean-stonem ... ochi/31215

Good luck to Stoneman, to be able to fight back from such serious health issues and still be just as quick is no easy feat

Same here. I believe had he not had that serious health issue Dean Stoneman would already be in F1 by now, probably with Williams.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:

Yes, good for Dean -replacing Leal. I think the car doesn't have Red bull livery - I wonder if this is outside 'the programme'. Or maybe they just don't have the stickers yet
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

yannicksamlad wrote:
RonDenisDeletraz wrote:

Yes, good for Dean -replacing Leal. I think the car doesn't have Red bull livery - I wonder if this is outside 'the programme'. Or maybe they just don't have the stickers yet

Stickers or not, Dean qualified 19th and finished 9th! What a drive.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Another entertaining weekend of GP2 action - I do love GP2 . And the GP3 was pretty good too.
But the notification of safety cars seems guaranteed to cause chaos - they notify so early that everyone is still side-by-side in the first half of lap 1 , and they then have to slow, and sort out an order before trundling around the rest of the lap. Seeing as they will know the rest of lap 1 is clear, they could notify a bit later and let the pack string out a bit. I feel sorry for the guys 'overtaking under safety car' who stood little chance of knowing for sure their position, and who really were not trying it on .

There will always be issues - as we saw for the lead in race 2 . Stanaway had made a mistake and was struggling, Haryanto was going to try at T13 as Richie was struggling, but exactly when did each realise the SC boards were out? We'll never know.
And where GP2 leads...F1 follows . ( I refer you to the lap 1 tangle , the Grosjean/Cecotto accidents, the SC notification issues).
And nice to see Stoffel working for a living !
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

yannicksamlad wrote:There will always be issues - as we saw for the lead in race 2 . Stanaway had made a mistake and was struggling, Haryanto was going to try at T13 as Richie was struggling, but exactly when did each realise the SC boards were out? We'll never know.

The stewards really can't make it more ambigous. If SC before overtake, do it. If SC after overtake, wait the move. They like to screw up, don't they? Yessss
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

FR3.5 next year will be known as F3.5 V8.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dr-baker wrote:FR3.5 next year will be known as F3.5 V8.

That's such a piss-poor name. RPM Racing have announced a tie-up with Euroformula Open; we could have had Euroformula 3.5 or something.

With regards to...eurgh, F3.5 V8...Draco have announced that they're selling their cars to the new Spirit of Race team, whilst DAMS' entry is going to Teo Martin Motorsports.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Ataxia wrote:

That's such a piss-poor name. RPM Racing have announced a tie-up with Euroformula Open; we could have had Euroformula 3.5 or something.

With regards to...eurgh, F3.5 V8...Draco have announced that they're selling their cars to the new Spirit of Race team, whilst DAMS' entry is going to Teo Martin Motorsports.

Yeah, very disappointing. Looks like some of the more well-run teams are already jumping ship as well. I believe there's 10 teams confirmed so far for 2016? Which leaves 2 slots open. I wouldn't bet on them being filled. I'm predicting the series will go the way of Euro F3000/Auto GP and slide into oblivion.

Suddenly the FIA's superlicence points decision doesn't seem so daft does it?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AndreaModa wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

Yeah, very disappointing. Looks like some of the more well-run teams are already jumping ship as well. I believe there's 10 teams confirmed so far for 2016? Which leaves 2 slots open. I wouldn't bet on them being filled. I'm predicting the series will go the way of Euro F3000/Auto GP and slide into oblivion.

Suddenly the FIA's superlicence points decision doesn't seem so daft does it?

The thing is, they want to position the series as a lower-cost alternative to GP2, and in doing so have made this tie-up with Euroformula Open which itself is a low-cost alternative for F3. Thing is, EF Open doesn't exactly boast star quality, and doesn't have a high profile either. Some work needs to be done in order to make sure the series has the right level of attention to stop it dying out. Finding another backer in lieu of the departing Renault would be a start.

EDIT: As we say this, Euroformula Open's RP Motorsport have joined the 3.5 V8 grid for 2016. The crossover begins.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

What do you guys think about Tatiana Calderon? Good/Promising/rubbish?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Izzyeviel wrote:What do you guys think about Tatiana Calderon? Good/Promising/rubbish?

Hoping for better results...
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Izzyeviel wrote:What do you guys think about Tatiana Calderon? Good/Promising/rubbish?

That you would not be mentioning her if she was a male driver.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

I would say she is better driver than Carmen Jorda.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Bleu wrote:

I would say she is better driver than Carmen Jorda.

But isn't that like saying that Pippa Mann is a better driver than Milka Duno?!
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

My mum is a better driver than Milka Duno and she's been dead 20 years.

(If anyone wonders why I should make such a comment, I have been listening to Geoffrey Boycott on TMS earlier where he's once again been talking about his mum hitting Zulfiqar Babar's buffet bowling for six with a stick o' rrrrrhubarb. I actually looked on The All-Knowing Oracle earlier and found Mrs Boycott has been dead 37 years and is apparently still capable of playing cricket. Also now Auntie Annie has been thrown into the mix, who I suspect to be equally bereft of life.)
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

She's been around F3 machinery for a while now, so this year was disappointing ( but so were Carlin, perhaps) in terms of results. In the midfield everyone is lapping at almost exactly the same pace, and only a tiny bit off the front guys ...so if you qualify out the top 15.its tough. .You can look less than impressive, but you're not actually slow. And quallie let her down this year.
I can't judge her potential- compared to some she'll have had less karting experience so she's not so far along the learning curve, but in F3 terms she's had quite a bit of experience.
Maybe time for a change from F3.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Update - she's doing MRF and was only a quarter of a second off Jake Dennis in FP2 at Abu Dhabi..Seeing as MRF's are apparently similar to F3 cars, and Jake was a front-runner in F3 , this looks good for her...
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

yannicksamlad wrote:

Update - she's doing MRF and was only a quarter of a second off Jake Dennis in FP2 at Abu Dhabi..Seeing as MRF's are apparently similar to F3 cars, and Jake was a front-runner in F3 , this looks good for her...

Update - and now she has 2 podiums from the 2 races . She's going well
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

yannicksamlad wrote:
yannicksamlad wrote:

Update - and now she has 2 podiums from the 2 races . She's going well

Perhaps her blogs on Motorsport.com are justifiable in that she didn't necessarily have the luck on her side at Carlin. But that's my humble opinion.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Rowland is going to drive for Status GP in GP2 in Abby Dhaby.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Miguel98 wrote:Rowland is going to drive for Status GP in GP2 in Abby Dhaby.

With a likely seat full-time next year.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

GP3's down to 7 teams for next season; Virtuosi seem to have withdrawn their entry. Teams will now be allowed to purchase a 4th car, but it's a bit sad to see the series lose another team.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Louis Deletraz, son of the one and only Jean-Denis Deletraz, is going to drive for Fortec in the 2016 3.5 V8
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

All hail the first Swiss winner in F1 since 13 days before I was born!

I predict it'll happen some time in 2018. And no, I'm not making an avatar bet on that.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

I must admit I'm a little unnerved by the presence in the junior categories of drivers called Deletraz and Matsushita who actually happen to be fairly quick. :D
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dinizintheoven wrote:All hail the first Swiss winner in F1 since 13 days before I was born!

I predict it'll happen some time in 2018. And no, I'm not making an avatar bet on that.

I'm guessing the last was Clay Regazzoni? Even though we did have Sebastien Buemi lead a lap since then.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

It was. The thought occurred to me as Buemi stood on top of the podium for the Beijing ePrix, and I thought "when was the last time we heard the Swiss national anthem in F1?"

14th July 1979, that's when - if they even had anthems on the podium back in those days.

There must be some other anthems we haven't heard in a while that are far more likely to happen in Formula E. Belgium, for one - all it needs is Custard to win a race without being promoted into it via a disqualification, and we'll hear that for the first time since... 1990, wasn't it?
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

ROTR to TV signals. MTV3 Max in Finland is currently unable to broadcast the GP2 race and at least Sky Sports has the same problem. :facepalm:
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

GP3: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121886 The streak of 2nd place finishes for Ocon has ended on the last lap.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I'm wondering what Pal Varhaug is doing in GP3. Wasn't he in GP2 years ago?
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Dj_bereta wrote:I'm wondering what Pal Varhaug is doing in GP3. Wasn't he in GP2 years ago?

He won the very first GP3 race back in 2010, then didn't score another point for remainder of the season. Moved to 2011 and failed to score. His team-mate was GRSJN who won the title.

After a year in AutoGP and few races in GP2 he returned to GP3 - with a best result of 5th.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Bahrain;
GP2 Race 1 was good. Some good racing there I thought. I love GP2- great racing, real fighting , some great skills in there .
GP2 sprint race was just a tyre lottery; Latifi went from 6th to 16th and back up to 11th as faster guys went past, then dropped back as tyres went off. The results are completely unrepresentative of anything other than tyre performance apart from maybe the top 3. I hate when Pirelli do that - GP2 sprint races are particularly vulnerable. The first laps reflect driver and team performance, and then it all goes random

But didn't Ollie Rowland struggle - big difference when you are in a team that struggles sometimes. Same for Dean Stoneman . It does show how close it is in the middle of GP2 - 5th to 18th on grid separated by 8 tenths of a second. And in the race - all doing the same lap times, until the tyres fall apart and then you lose 2, then 3/4/5 seconds a lap.

....and MRF - Tatiana Calderon on podium again

Meanwhile in Macau...is Macau really so good - red flags and safety cars always?....But it is quite entertaining. Once Sam Macleod got in the way of Charles Leclerc, and with Giovinazzi penalised and Juncadelia eliminated effectively, it was always Felix's race ...I assume he'll do GP2 next. Maybe his development curve is just a bit 'delayed'..and he'll be a top driver. If so , he's lucky people stuck with him. People do tend to fall for 'Mozart syndrome' ; thinking that if they're not so good early on then they will never amount to much, when in fact people can develop at different rates, and reach their potential later.

Oh well - one more weekend this year - excellent !

What did you all think?
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

This is the incident that got Daniel Ticktum banned for 2 years.

What an idiot. Not even Pastor was this blatant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP_OD2M1exw

http://www.crash.net/motorsports/news/225396/1/british-youngster-ticktum-gets-twoyear-ban.html
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Izzyeviel wrote:This is the incident that got Daniel Ticktum banned for 2 years.

What an idiot. Not even Pastor was this blatant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP_OD2M1exw

http://www.crash.net/motorsports/news/225396/1/british-youngster-ticktum-gets-twoyear-ban.html

TIcktum should try a Nascar career. Kenseth did a similar dirt move recently and only got a two race ban.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

To be fair, there were quite a few extenuating circumstances, concerning the drivers involved and the sport in general, in the Kenseth case. This is just a driver flat out being insane with no real context.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.