Senna - the movie

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
eagleash

Re: Senna - the movie

Post by eagleash »

dr-baker wrote:
I was at Brands Hatch the day Henry Surtees died. But we knew nothing at the time of what happened. We knew there had been a crash bad enough to stop the F2 race, they had replayed the incident once or twice immediately after the incident on the big screen. The cars had lined up on the grid, in single file, by the pit wall in the meantime, but we were then informed that the next race was due to start as the F2 cars then peeled off slowly back to the paddock. The only other thing to happen was the next race being slightly delayed to allow the medical helicopter to take off (something I thought was strange, as I never thought the helicopter could stop track action before).

Like dr-b, I am a Brands (lapsed these days) regular. I wasn't there for Surtees' accident but was for Jacques Laffite's career-ending smash. In the latter case (1986) the helicopter was deployed, & standing on the hill up to Druids my ancient Walkman, tuned to radio Brands, picked up the chopper/race control transmissions from which I was able to inform those around me of the approx. time till the restart which depended on the helicopter being back in position. So I think it's always been the case.
The only fatal incident I saw was Stephen Langton in 1985, right in front at Paddock. (GP Saturday 1985) Thrown out of the car & hit by another competitor, the outcome was obvious. The helicopter unnecessary, but what struck me was that the rest of the day & the Sunday carried on as if nothing had happened.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

I dont know if this has been mentioned before, but

one thing that stands out is when that stuning tv presenter in Christmas Eve (or New Years) gave Senna a kiss on the cheek. I think she started at 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 and then she stopped in 1993.

Yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I personally find that trippy.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ive re-watched it a couple of times and at the start of the Imola weekend my pulse starts going like Im watching a horror movie. Literally, you KNOW the hero is about to die and its very upsetting.

Also, that fractional shake of the head Ayrton does prior to the start of the race is quite distressing to me.
Just For One Day...
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

ibsey, I think that was just a casual set of circunstances. Yes, it's true that both Ayrton Senna and Gilles Villeneuve were pretty distressed before having their fatal crashes, but that was for a logical reason (in Senna's case, it was because he'd witnessed Barrichello's and Ratzenberger's crashes and he felt affected by it; in Villeneuve's case, he was still sulking about what had happened at San Marino that year). However, they may or may not have been killed, just like other F1 drivers who didn't feel anything negative before stepping onto their cars for the last time, like, I believe, Ratzenberger or de Angelis or Depailler. It's just that death can get you at any time, and I think their feelings were just coincidental with those fatal weekends. Could they have affected their driving? Probably, but they may as well have avoided their accidents. Particularly in Senna's case, had the Safety Car been a faster model, the tyres on his Williams wouldn't have lost volume due to being cold, the floor of the car wouldn't have scraped onto the ground and the car wouldn't have flown off the track.

My conclusion to all the drivel I've just written is, I just don't want to fully believe things that are not proven. I might change my perception in the future, who knows, but so far I'm inclined to follow Ockham's theories and accept the simplest explanation.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

David AGS wrote:I dont know if this has been mentioned before, but

one thing that stands out is when that stuning tv presenter in Christmas Eve (or New Years) gave Senna a kiss on the cheek. I think she started at 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 and then she stopped in 1993.

I think that's been mentioned before here, but it is still very strange and peculiar...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

dr-baker wrote:
David AGS wrote:I dont know if this has been mentioned before, but

I think that's been mentioned before here, but it is still very strange and peculiar...

She's Xuxa Menghal, the official girlfriend of Senna between 1988 and the end of 1992, from what 'The Life of Senna' biography states. And the official widow at his funeral...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

ibsey wrote:Great to here you are enjoying the book & welcome to the forum by the way. :)

Even though I read the book some years ago now (an old housemate 'borrowed' my copy & I haven't seen it since) I remember thinking some of the stories contain within it, if they are true, then they are just staggering. Stories like the nightmare Pironi apparently experienced on the night before his accident in Germany 1982. Or the strange, unusually feelings both Senna & Gilles experienced at the race weekends that ultimately cost them their lives. Which the book argues should have been a warning to them not to have driven their cars.

So, it would be interesting know your thoughts as to whether you think their is any truth in these stories or not? Apologies, if I seem to be putting you on the spot on this (I don't mean to), & you are more than welcome to just ignore answering if you so wish. It just I haven't known anyone else to have read the book, & compare opinions with afterwards. There are only two reviews on Amazon (as far as I can see) none of which comment whether they feel the stories within the book have any truth in them or not?

To let you know my opinion, I believe undoubtably that Gilles & Senna did not have their usual 'clear mind' when stepping into their cars for the last time. Also, I believe these two drivers weren't as good as 'removing emotion' from their driving as say Prost or JYS was. This isn't intended as a critism to either Gilles or Senna (who I am both massive fans of), it's just the way they were. Emotional driven. Sometimes it worked for them, unfornately on this occassion it work horribly against them.

Furthermore judging from the footage contained within the Senna film of him in a seemly agitated state at Imola (particular when Senna was behind the SC gesturing for it to hurry up). Got me thinking maybe the stories contain within the book have got some truth to them? So do you think, as the book argues, that Senna & Gilles should have 'listened' to the strange unusual feelings they apparently experienced & couldn't shakeoff & therefore accepted that they weren't in a fit state mentally to drive (even though it was against what they as 'racers' ever knew). Or is it just fantasy & they were just very unlucky in their accidents?

It is an interesting topic, whether people in certain situations get either a kind of unusually warning, or 'strange' feeling when they are close to death. I recall Niki Lauda felt he was close to death immediately after his 1976 Nurburgring accident & stated that if he at that moment fell asleep. He knew he would never wake up. Furthermore I saw recently in a newspaper headline, Witney Houston, appartent said she was going to meet Jesus, just hours before her death (whether she was just saying that because she was too high at that point, I don't know, I didn't read beyond the headlines). Also, years ago, when my sister past way from an illness she had suffered from her whole life, appartently she told my mum, in her last few hours she could she my dad, whom had past away year's before, in the room.

I'm not really the sort of person who believe's in ghosts & such, nor am I hugely religiously either. However, I know from my uni days & from taking a few substances that I won't mention. There are certain things in life, that are too difficult to comprehend & explain, no matter how hard we try. Something I believe Senna took a couple of years to understand, about his Monaco 1988 'out of body experience'. So he stop trying to explain, or rationalize it to others & just accepted the experience for what it was (Senna talks about this in the 'lost interview' with Gerald Donaldson, one of the extra's on the Senna DVD). Also I recently watched a great programe called 'In Search of Wabi Sabi' which also felt linked to this subject. It's a japanese idea & one of it's teaching is stop trying to explain the unexplainable & just accpet it. Here's the utube video for anyone who's interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-In1lQd4Eno

As I say you are more than welcome to just ignore answering if you so wish, I know I am asking you a very tough question here. I was actually in two minds about whether to ask you about it, for fear of being branded 'crazy'. But what the hell... if you don't ask you don't get.

Ibsey, thanks for the welcome, and once again thanks for the tip on the book. Another 1am night last night! I'm almost finished with it. I would be done by now but I'm at the part of the book that IMO turns into a Damon Hill lovefest (understandable given the publishing date and being a British author, but not my personal cup of tea) and the fact that being a $6.99 copy (3.00 for the book itself) some "helpful" chap has gone through and corrected various errors throughout the book. Some he's correct on, others not so much, but I've had to waste a bit of time double checking each of these "footnotes".

Ok on to your actual question lol. You're not crazy at all, I have been glued to this book. I'm fasinated with how much I personally can relate to it. (This is NOT a comparsion of myself in any way to F1 pilots. I drag race and was a mid-pack karter for awhile, no where even close to the same skill level) but its unreal how much I see in myself and my friends in the pits. I read passages aloud to my g/f and she's like "sounds like someone I know".

Now on to the stories themselves. it is an incredible thought to be able to "predict" in one sense or another your own death. Now do I believe these stories? Well yes, and no. Let me explain: (WARNING This may go on a bit, I apologize for hijacking this thread. Other readers can skip on down).

I believe them in the sense of my own personal experience. Lots and lots of things in the book do occur on a somewhat noticable basis at the track. I once almost rolled my race car, but managed to save it, despite going up on two wheels. What scared me was not the near miss itself, but rather that I corrected it subconciously. I watched myself do it almost as a spectator, not a participant. When I was racing karts a few times, especially when the field ould string out, I would realize that 5-10 laps had gone by and I hadn't even realized it. This is down right terrifying, as you have no recollection of anything from those few laps. You wonder how you didn't shunt yourself. Also many, many times I will come back from a normal run, feeling fine otherwise, but with uncontrollable hand shakes ala Tom Hanks in "Saving Private Ryan". Sometimes these are so bad, I can't undo my harness. Other times i remove my helmet to find tears in your eyes. Again these are on totally normal runs, where nothing "eventful" occurs. The human body (more specifically as they say the human mind) cannot handle all the focus, effort, etc needed to drive a car, and wants you to stop. I have also had the "gut feeling" of dread.

One time our drag car caught fire during a Time Shot, a minor one, and after the run my crew fitted a new intake, carbs etc and my crew chief said I was good to make another qualiy run. For the first, and so far only time, I overruled him and told him to load the car up and go home. I just had a bad feeling, not about fire, believe it or not, but just that something wasn't right. He was surprised but did as I asked. Back at the shop, we did a tear down to "calm" me, and guess what? We found a hairline crack in an axle. Would it have failed that next run @ 130+mph? Maybe, maybe not. I was happy not to find out, and I still have the axle, as a reminder.......

Now that being said, drivers dream all the time. I've had so many dreams where i was killed in a shunt, if I had a dollar for each, I'd be an F1 constructor myself. But I've had just as many dreams where I've won the Indy 500, Monza, or more realistically, the $10K Memorial Day Shootout at my local track. Do they mean I'll win the next day? Gerhardt Berger may say yes in the book, my experience says not so much? lol

To me it what you personally make of it. Let's look at Roland. He was shook up over Rubens' wreck (and who wouldn't be, its stil to this day one of the worst shunts I've ever seen), and that affected his driving. Or did it? Can we honestly say Roland's judgment over whethe or not to start his flying lap was clouded? If Rubens handn't been hurt would he have pulled into the pits to have his wing checked? Or, doesn't it make more sense that he would have pitted BECAUSE of Rubens' wreck? Me? I almost certainly would have down the same as Roland, cued the radio said "Guys I spun off cause I'm a f'kin idiot (I cuss alot on the radio) but I'm all good and here we go....." So did Rubens' accident really affect Roland like the book claims? I'm not so sure.....Now Roland's death obviously affected Senna, but they are too many variables to his wreck to say by how much....

The main thing I think the book hits on perfectly is drivers and religion. I'm moderatly religious, I go to church every week, and pray somewhat, but I don't go to confession or read the bible much. But God plays an massive role at the track. People you would never think can be seen praying in the staging lanes, and big powerful American muscle cars with crosses painted on them are commonplace (one nitro harley had GOd is Love on it!). And yes we're all Superstitous to a fault, I have sevre triptodectaphobia (sp?) for example, and my crew knows that if they interrupt my prerace routie, they won't live to regret it.

Now I don't believe the sories about the predictions for two reasons: One as I said drivers dream all the time and that in of itself means little. But two, the book is filled with inaccuracies, the most glaring (besides refering to Imola '94 as the Italian Grand Prix repeatedly) being the story of Tazio paasing Varzi without lights in the Targa Floria, which Tazio himself said wasn't true. People, fans mostly, invent stories such as thse to ease their grief, its a natural human reaction. It was especially bad with the lack of modern technology to report it. One "nice" thing about Imola '94 is that we know exactly what happened minute by minute, so tall tales have no chance to grow. Maybe 30 or 40 years from now someone might start a rumor that Senna did X, Y, or Z on that fateful day, but as of now we're thankfully free of all that.

Overall, though I don't believ in ghosts or spirits I certainly believe most of the stories in the book, both because of my own experiences and because if for no other reason, I WANT to believe them. A lame reason, and as a historian, its a poor one, but who cares. :P

Ok sorry for the ridiculous rant :oops: , hope I haven't come off as a loud bragging American (wasn't my intent) but wanted to show how much I like the book and why. I'm curious to see if any other racers on the board feel the same.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wallio, I found that informative and interesting, thank you. I hope you come to post here more often with recollections and stories like that.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

I agree with Dr Baker, great personal recollections there.

Wallio wrote:Ibsey, thanks for the welcome, and once again thanks for the tip on the book.

Your welcome. :)

Wallio wrote:I believe them in the sense of my own personal experience. Lots and lots of things in the book do occur on a somewhat noticable basis at the track. I once almost rolled my race car, but managed to save it, despite going up on two wheels. What scared me was not the near miss itself, but rather that I corrected it subconciously. I watched myself do it almost as a spectator, not a participant. When I was racing karts a few times, especially when the field ould string out, I would realize that 5-10 laps had gone by and I hadn't even realized it. This is down right terrifying, as you have no recollection of anything from those few laps.

I understand exactly what you mean. When Richard Hammond interviewed Stirling Moss a couple of years ago about racing drivers brain they reffered to it as the 'Gunslinger Effect'. Because the guy who always draws his gun second will usually win a gun fight. Why?

Because he would be drawing his gun subconciously & It's been proven that the subconcious part of your brain is much quicker at reacting than the concious part of your brain. So you need to allow your brain go into this state when racing. Also as you correctly say the human mind cannot handle all the data coming at it required to drive a racing car. I believe a by product of it can be that the brain shuts down certain parts like memory in order to cope (a bit like a computer). Which is why you have experienced what you did & have no recollection of some of it.

Perhaps also this is what Senna was refering to when describing his Monaco 1988 'out of body experience'. If you have the Senna DVD I would highly recommend listening to the the 'lost interview' with Gerald Donaldson, one of the extra's on it. As Senna explains how it took a couple of years to try to fully understand, about his Monaco 1988 'out of body experience'. IIRC evenutally he learnt to stop trying to explain or rationalize the experience, especially to others who didn't understand it, and just accepted it when it happens. Which is why I say there are certain things in life, that are too difficult to comprehend & explain, no matter how hard we try.

There is a great book on this whole subject called; 'Overdrive, Formula 1 in the zone' by Clyde Brolin. Which attempts to explain the above & what Senna experienced at Monaco 1988 (in addition to other drivers views on it). Although, IMO, the book explains this subject as well as it is possible (as Senna one said you can't really explain it, you have to feel it). It is, nonetheless esentially reading on this matter, & it sounds like something you would highly enjoy & benefit from.

Be warned however I found it the hardest book I've ever read. Not because it was poorly written or anything like that. But because I kept having to pause after every 3 or so pages, because I had experienced what was being discussed (like you & Deadly Obessions) & I had to comtemplate whether my thoughts on the matter matched those I had just read. To say my brain got a workout from reading that book, would be a gross understatement!!!.

Furthermore, like you, I race alot, however only on F1 sims like GP4 & F12011 etc (with a G25 steering wheel) & not in real life unfortnately. So I can relate to what your experiences, i.e. the sensation of driving the car but feeling like a spectator, not a participant. It's almost like your body's possesed & you are just along for the ride. Actually I can recall this happening through the Becketts section at Sliverstone & in the corner of my eye I noticed what position my hands were on the steering wheel. It amazed me just how little I had been actually turning the steering wheel to make those corners. I wouldn't have believed it.

Wallio wrote:I once almost rolled my race car, but managed to save it, despite going up on two wheels. What scared me was not the near miss itself, but rather that I corrected it subconciously.

I can also relate to this aswell. Recently I was reading up on the differences between re-active, maipulative drivers & perfect maipulative drivers. As I naturally am more of a 're-active' driver I decided, I'll try some of the things that the maipulative drivers tend to do. Like how, when a corner is approaching, they warn the car with a almost imperceptible nudge of the brake pedal. Thereby loading up the relevant side of the car in prepararion for the corner & also helps transfer the weight to the front of the car, particularly benefitical when you have just arrived from a heavy acceration zone & the weight seems towards the back of the car. So there is a much better chance of the car remaining stable & braking maximised when you do apply them fully.

When I next drove the car for the first time after learning of all the above, I suddenly realised I had already been doing all of that subconciously. Probably for years in fact & hadn't realised it at all. What's more when I tried doing it conciously (i.e. actually thought about doing it) I just couldn't re-act in time for some corners! So that highlighted to me the difference in re-action times between the subconcious & concious parts of our brain. Therefore the need to allows the subconcious part of our brain to do as much of the driving as possible is essential. Thereby freeing up the concious part to think about the race, strategy & how car / tyres are performing etc (perhaps allowing the concious part of the brain to in occassionly 'check in' to the driving to make sure everything is ok).

If you read Overdrive you'll have a much better understand of all of this & you'll have a better idea to find your own way of allowing your subconcious brain to take over when driving & keep it that way (or as the book refers to it; allowing the brain to 'get in the zone'). This is what I mean when I said in an earlier post that being in the 'right frame of mind' is essential, not only for safety but also to extract the best possible performance from one's self.

It's a lesson the great Juan Manuel Fangio learnt the hard way. After Fangio's crash at Monza, in (IIRC) 1952, where he missed a year's racing as a result. I believed he said the crash was a result of him being up all night driving to the event & in hindsight he realised he wasn't in a good state of mind to take part. So after this he would never allow himself to take part in another race, where he wasn't in the right frame of mind beforehand.

This is the area where I think perhaps there might have been an issue in Gilles' & Senna's driving on those fateful days at Belgium 1982 & Imola 1994. Basically I'm starting to wonder whether their negative feelings hindered them from getting 'into the zone' to which they had become accustom to. Remember both of these two talked about 'the zone' more than most other drivers. So you have to wonder whether, their re-action times were not as quick as usual, because they were driving 'more conciously' than normal. Also whether their judgement calls were as good as they normally would have been?

Or to put it another way, do we think both Gilles & Senna would have crashed as they did had they stepped into the car, in the 'right frame of mind'?

That is what I am asking myself & I know it is an unanswerable question, to which people will have different opinions on. Somehow I just sense Senna wouldn't have choosen to pushed so hard as he did, on cold tyres on a bumpy track had he a completely clear mind that day. Also I think Senna would have been more concerned about getting heat into his tyres behind the SC & not gesturing at it, if he was less agitated. Having recently rewatched the 1994 San Marino GP, you'll notice Senna hardly weaves behind the SC.

Also I doubt Gilles would have taken the risk that he did. Also perhaps both of them may have recognised something was wrong earlier than perhaps they did & lifted off sooner, as a result.

Let me be clear, I acknowledge in Senna's case that there were loads of other factors involved & I'm not trying to discredit any facts that might have been already established (I am a man of science, therefore base opinions on fact). I am merely trying to explore whether or not these may have been contributing factors to those accidents so we can learn from it. To my knowledge no-one seems to have covered it in any detail apart from the book Deadly Obessions?
Last edited by ibsey on 23 Feb 2012, 23:01, edited 2 times in total.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

dr-baker wrote:Wallio, I found that informative and interesting, thank you. I hope you come to post here more often with recollections and stories like that.

Thanks doc, hope i didn't hijack the thread too much. I hope to stick around. I do have a tendency to ramble, but just tell me to shut it, and I will and won't get mad. That being said rereading my post, i need to proofread. Holy typos batman!

@ ibsey glad someone else can relate to its, as its terrifying. I'll have to pick up in the zone next.

To answer your question about Gilles and Senna, I still think Senna would have wrecked, just based on how much (read little) we know about the wreck. Far too many variables (debris, puncture steering rod, tyre temps, black boxes etc) And as I said, I don't think Roland was all that shook up, so sadly I still think he too would have crashed.

Now Gilles on the other hand......... Well its hard to say, as he was a risk taker so he still may have tried to pass Mass on the outside. Would a rational man ignore the team order to come in? No. Rarely if ever are team orders disobeyed, no matter how stupid a driver thinks they are (trust me on this one :roll: ). So I think a normal headed person who have gritted his teeth and pitted. But then again Gilles had the favor of Enzo himself, and could probably have gotten away with ignoring the order.......

But to answer, no I think if Gilles was more calm mentally, he would not have crashed and probably would still be here. But I don't like saying that as it blames Didier, and there was SO much more than that going on!

My this is complicated lol.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Wallio wrote:ibsey glad someone else can relate to its, as its terrifying.

I was also extermely glad & relived when I first learnt there are other people that can relate to it also. I can't exactly remember the full details, however I think there is a quote from Seb Loeb in the Overdrive book, where he says something like "you eventually you become accustom to driving the car subconciously". Amazing as that sounds.

Wallio wrote:My this is complicated lol.

Indeed it is extermely complicated, perhaps too complicated for a weekday evening. It took me around 5 hours to write my last post! As I had to ensure it was worded in such a way that people could understand it. However I do find this whole subject / area fanscinated as well.

Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

I'm afraid I can't apport much to these extremely interesting experiences you're talking about, but something similar has happened to me a few times in a different but similar environment (and a much more safer one!): concretely playing racing games. Sometimes, when you're doing long distance races, your brain seems to "switch off" in such a way that you continue driving (actually, controlling the pad :mrgreen: ) without noticing it. All of a sudden five or even ten laps are gone and you can barely remember the previous laps, if at all. At some point there's a stimulus that "awakens" you, the most frequent one being that you make a mistake: in these cases it may very well happen that you manage to recover the car and remain on the track, indicating a high degree of concentration -but you are not really noticing it. Even more interesting is the fact that, if you go to check what kind of lap times you were doing during these "unconscious laps", they usually are a) quite fast and b) pretty consistent, with few tenths between one lap and the next.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Ferrim wrote:I'm afraid I can't apport much to these extremely interesting experiences you're talking about, but something similar has happened to me a few times in a different but similar environment (and a much more safer one!): concretely playing racing games. Sometimes, when you're doing long distance races, your brain seems to "switch off" in such a way that you continue driving (actually, controlling the pad :mrgreen: ) without noticing it. All of a sudden five or even ten laps are gone and you can barely remember the previous laps, if at all. At some point there's a stimulus that "awakens" you, the most frequent one being that you make a mistake: in these cases it may very well happen that you manage to recover the car and remain on the track, indicating a high degree of concentration -but you are not really noticing it. Even more interesting is the fact that, if you go to check what kind of lap times you were doing during these "unconscious laps", they usually are a) quite fast and b) pretty consistent, with few tenths between one lap and the next.

That to me is the really freaky part, your laps are pretty darn good when this happens. Not perfect, but damn consistant.

OT: Racing games are becoming more and more realistic by the day. A decent wheel/pedal set-up and the right game, and it is as close as humanly possible to actual racing, and takes a bit of skill, although sadly most "real racers" won't admit it.

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wallio wrote:
That to me is the really freaky part, your laps are pretty darn good when this happens. Not perfect, but damn consistant.

OT: Racing games are becoming more and more realistic by the day. A decent wheel/pedal set-up and the right game, and it is as close as humanly possible to actual racing, and takes a bit of skill, although sadly most "real racers" won't admit it.

You still lack the "Holy shite!" factor and that comes only with the fear and forces applied to the car. Most of virtual racers go flat out at corners knowing that given identical circumstances in real life they don't do that. This is worth several seconds per lap IMHO. Clarkson did that experience a few years back in Laguna Seca and he never really came close of the lap he did on GT4 (at the time).
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Very true, there is no fear and no consequence. I can remember being in an F3 car at Spa in the the game Race Driver: GRiD and taking Eau Rouge flat and telling my g/f, "I really doubt I'd could do this in real life".

That being said, in a car similar to you own, on a track you know, these games are fabulous training tools. (Alonso said that in F1 2010 the brake points were within 50ft of their real life counterparts). While nothing compares to the real thing, I use GT5 and Forza 4 as a great way to shake the rust off over the winter.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wow. Who would have thought that a thread about one of the best films of 2011 (definitely the best documentary of 2011) could go so off-topic to people talking about racing on their games consoles? F1 Rejects sums us up perfectly, I reckon. ;) :)
MCard LOLA
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Ferrim wrote:Sometimes, when you're doing long distance races, your brain seems to "switch off" in such a way that you continue driving (actually, controlling the pad ) without noticing it. All of a sudden five or even ten laps are gone and you can barely remember the previous laps, if at all. At some point there's a stimulus that "awakens" you, the most frequent one being that you make a mistake:

Certainly, that kind of 'experience' is what I was refering to in my previous posts, when talking about driving subconcious / or getting 'into the zone'. So it also sounds like you would benefit, or enjoy reading Overdrive, Ferrim (if you haven't already done so). BTW I'm not a spammer. Nor do I earn any commission for selling the book or anything like that. Its just an area that hugely fascinates me, but racing drivers rarely talk about it much (probably for fear of being branded crazy, by those who do not understand it).

As I said before the book is extermely difficult to read & finish, however it is more than rewarding. For instance I learnt more than a few things from it, which undoubtably improving my driving / racing as a result. These are things like, I've learn how to 'get into the zone' much more frequently than before. But also to accept & cope with the days when I can't get into 'the zone', despite me desperately trying to. Or cope with days where i am unable to find any kind of 'flow' within my driving.

Getting 'into the zone' isn't just something one can switch on & off like a light bulb (again as the book teaches). So there will inevitably be days where you just can't get 'into the zone', no matter what you try.

Thanks to the book, I've also learnt to keep myself 'in the zone' much better than before. Thereby prolonging those "awakening" moments that you referred to. This is a benefit because, when 'in the zone' I seem to be extracting much less energy, mentally. Whislt contiuning to drive at the same level / pace. I have found myself on occassion "awakening" during the middle of a full distance race, with a much fresher mind than I had say 20 laps prior.

Although IMO, 'getting in the zone' is something that is impossible to totally control. Like feelings or emotions. However, I believe, you can influence it to a certain extent. Also from personal experience the 'intensity' of feeling from being in the zone, starts to fade as one gets older. It's a bit like getting drunk / high for the first time as a teenager is always much more intense/fun, then say getting drunk in your 30's / 40's. For me this is, by far, the worst thing about getting old. However in age, one does acquire wisdom (apparently?), so I guess it swings in around abouts. Also, as I think the book states, I wonder whether everybody can achieve the feeling of getting 'in the zone'.

I have also experienced simliar feeling in other fields, like cycling long distances. I can recall once cycle along the Thames, ipod on full volume, then suddely 'awaking' to realise I could barely remember any of the scenery I'd past for the last 10 or so miles. What's more when I look down at my legs pedalling away, it felt like they were almost detached from my brain & I had no control overthem what so ever.

Also I can recall dancing in a nightclub, 'lost' in the music. Awakening only to find, I couldn't remember much about either the last few hours, or the songs I had just danced to. Again, when dancing, I had no idea, how or where the dance moves I was pulling off came from? It was honestly like my body was possessed. Crazy stuff & thanks to Overdrive, I learnt / am still learning a so much more about this hugely fascinating subject.

By the way, Dr Baker I think this topic is still relevant to the Senna film, as Ayrton himself talks about it both in the feature film & also the DVD extras.

DanielPT wrote:You still lack the "Holy shite!" factor and that comes only with the fear and forces applied to the car. Most of virtual racers go flat out at corners knowing that given identical circumstances in real life they don't do that. This is worth several seconds per lap IMHO. Clarkson did that experience a few years back in Laguna Seca and he never really came close of the lap he did on GT4 (at the time).

Whislt I agree with what you are getting at & I would never argue a racing game/sim is as good as the real thing.

I think the Top Gear / Clarkson example, is perhaps slightly misleading. Probably to make good TV.

Firstly IIRC he used a pad (& not a steering wheel) to set his Playstation lap time. Therefore immediately the test becomes uncomparable IMO. Unless he drove the NSX also using a pad, or the playstation using a decent wheel. Also one has to assume he drove GT4 with driving assists like TC, SC etc on. As on a pad, it is virtually impossible to drive without them (in my experience).

Also he drove on what is now an old game, GT4. Modern day racing games has vastly improved as anyone who's compared GT4 with GT5 will know. There is a world of difference between the game physics of the two.

If you are looking to compare games v's real life driving. I think better proof on this comes from the winners of the GT5 Acadamy & how they are doing in their respective motorsport catergoies. I haven't been checking on this, so I don't know what the outcome has been lately. I vaguely recall hearing from Ant Davidson during either FP1 or FP2 for Sliverstone 2011 that one of was doing pretty well. Perhaps someone who knows would be so kind as to inform us what the latest situation on their progress is?

Actually IIRC during that Ant Davidson commentary, he was saying how realistic modern day racing games have now become. Supporting the view others here have expressed that is an ideal training tool, or a great subsutiute for those (like me) who cannot afford to compete in motorsport in real life.

The "Holy shite!" factor, is an interesting point you & the Top Gear test raise. Whislt I agree with what you have said & I can't see how this can be incorporated into a racing game. I have also heard drivers in real life say, things like you can't actively allow thoughts into your mind of what frightens you when racing in real life. Otherwise you won't drive as quickly.

Obviously a little fear is a good thing, as it focuses the mind. But perhaps there is a hidden benefit from playing racing games in that, it helps train an indivdual to drive without any negative fear thoughts what so ever. Because you are, if you like forced to not think about fear, when playing the racing games in the comfort of your living room.

So that when you get out onto the track for the first time, because you have practiced & perfected most aspects of your driving in a safe enviroment. Of course not all aspects of driving can be learnt from driving sims however.

Consequently when one is out on track for the first time, he/she is able to just concentrate on overcoming the "holy shite" factor, much more quickly & effectively than someone in an identical situation, who hadn't played any racing sims at all.

I guess its a bit like a kid, learning to ride a bike on stablisers. They can learn the basic princples well enough. However take away the stablisers, & there will be new difficulties to overcome. But the kid who's learnt to ride a bike already with stablisers, will overcome those new difficulties quicker than a kid who hasn't.

Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Finally watched the movie this weekend just gone - thinking about it, I might have waited a week to be nearer the anniversary, but still....

I didn't really enjoy the pre-1991 stuff to be honest as there was an awful lot of bias there but there was still some great footage, particularly of the drivers briefings, where there was clear proof of Balestre's utter madness. The Martin Donnelly footage was horrible to watch really, very shocking.

From 1991 onwards I was mesmerised really - the Brazil 1991 footage was incredible as a reminder of the sheer talent he had. As for the footage of that weekend, Barrichello's crash is still shocking in its force, and I'd never seen Roland's accident properly before, just the last few moments. The start-line accident was much more awful than I remembered as I'd never seen it from that angle before. Senna's crash of course I had seen many times before, but I still completely lost it at that point.

An incredible second half to the film and as good as everyone else had said.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Getting 'into the zone' isn't just something one can switch on & off like a light bulb (again as the book teaches). So there will inevitably be days where you just can't get 'into the zone', no matter what you try.

my problem is that i can't control it. it just happens. when i sit down in the driver seat of a car, pow my brain is about 300 feet ahead of me reading the slightest of details, i slice through turns like pie, and i tailgate anyone that passes me.
my father noticed this and said i can't take the license test until i can control it. one time he panicked when i was entering a corner and hadn't even thought of touching the brakes. he grabs the hand brake and we almost spin out, but somehow i manage to whip the car out of it. luckily there was no other traffic on the road at the time. he looks at me in awe and asks "how did you do that?". i replied "i honestly have no idea".
my friends at school playfully call it a superpower.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

I think the fact that we are able to reel off a list of what should also have been put in the film - Berger (I agree on this one), Comas, Irvine, perhaps some Brundle in F3 days, developing friendship with Prost etc says a lot about Senna as a whole. The film could easily have been twice as long, but it wouldn't have had as broad an appeal, and that for me is where it really wins. Lots of my friends who are non-F1 fans have watched it and loved it.

They spell Barrichello's name wrong on the caption - that always irks me a bit. And Balestre is the perfect pantomime villain and I think is portrayal is very fair!

Incidentally having watched it again soon after the Malaysian GP it has been interesting to compare what Senna was to Brazil, to what Perez is becoming to Mexico, something that Perez is keen to play down at the moment.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

don't forget his IndyCar test with Emmo. that's quite important because he was seriously considering coming to compete in CART full time.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

This is a very, very minor point, but I was stunned at the audio they had captured of Rubens' crash. Very stark.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote:This is a very, very minor point, but I was stunned at the audio they had captured of Rubens' crash. Very stark.

I found the audio of Ratzys crash equally affecting. Silence but for the awful grinding of the car along the track.
Just For One Day...
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

CoopsII wrote:
Row Man Gross-Gene wrote:This is a very, very minor point, but I was stunned at the audio they had captured of Rubens' crash. Very stark.

I found the audio of Ratzys crash equally affecting. Silence but for the awful grinding of the car along the track.

Yeah. That was quite... Difficult to watch.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

AdrianSutil wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

Yeah. That was quite... Difficult to watch.

Indeed it was.

Another comment I wanted to make was the video footage of Ratzenberger after Rubens' crash. That was absolutely surreal. Actually, I don't know if it happened after, but it was after it in the film. But another point is that if they have that kind of footage, just think of how much there must be in the FOM archives. A bathplugging treasure-trove of footage! Why isn't it all available? Just think of all the grassroots support F1 could get if youtube had thousands of clips of races, drivers, meetings etc.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

This is the thing, FOM could literally make so much money out of F1 fans by charging a nominal fee to have access to this library of footage from over the years, or even better, put it up for free! But sadly the current policy to literally wipe youtube clean of user-uploaded F1 footage doesn't show any sign of stopping, which is a bloody shame considering how much good stuff there is out there. I suspect the BBC have a pretty comprehensive catalogue too from the years they've covered it.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

CoopsII wrote:I found the audio of Ratzys crash equally affecting. Silence but for the awful grinding of the car along the track.

Yes, I think that was the point where I couldn't really NOT get upset any longer. Given the sheer look of haunted incomprehension on David Brabham's face, the fact that he competed at all now seems even more incredible to me.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Barbazza wrote:
CoopsII wrote:I found the audio of Ratzys crash equally affecting. Silence but for the awful grinding of the car along the track.

Yes, I think that was the point where I couldn't really NOT get upset any longer. Given the sheer look of haunted incomprehension on David Brabham's face, the fact that he competed at all now seems even more incredible to me.

The sheer determination from David Brabham during and after Imola boggles the mind. An unbelievable person.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

AdrianSutil wrote:The sheer determination from David Brabham during and after Imola boggles the mind. An unbelievable person.

True, and as much as Ratzenberger is forgotten so too is Brabham and what he must have gone through. Both he and Hill got back into cars that may have had some sort of integral design fault which could cause fatal accidents. Immense.
Just For One Day...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

CoopsII wrote:

It was absolutely horrible to watch. I've seen Ratzenberger's crash a number of times, but never at full speed before. Took a lot out of me last night. :cry:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

East Londoner wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

It was absolutely horrible to watch. I've seen Ratzenberger's crash a number of times, but never at full speed before. Took a lot out of me last night. :cry:

I'd never seen the amateur footage taken directly opposite the impact zone, but the worst for me was when the car had finally stopped up at Tosa, only for Roland's head to slowly roll back at a bad angle. You just know then, he's already passed away.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

No disrespect intended by this but I personally Ratzenberger's crash to be even worse than Senna's, I have no idea why.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Ratzenberger's was always going to be a massive accident. Having total front-wing failure at the bend before Tosa is a very bad thing to have. Senna's accident was a side-on at less speed, as Senna managed to shave about 40-50mph off before hitting the wall. But the frot suspension linkage shot up the side and tore into his helmet, which proved to be the fatal point. Berger's accident at the same corner in (I think) 89 was worse, as the car burst into flames. But Senna's was well documented as a freak accident because of the suspension part hitting his helemt.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

And back in 1994 the approach to Tosa through Villenueve corner was flat out, taken at around 200MPH. I once saw a video a long time ago of Ratzenberger going past a fixed camera positon just past Tamburello, and a few seconds later you can see the detached front wing fly by the side of the camera. When the wing failed, Roland stood no chance :cry:

Barrichello's crash shocked me as well. The car nearly went into the grandstand. And then the marshalls just casually tipping the car back over onto it's wheels...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

East Londoner wrote:Barrichello's crash shocked me as well. The car nearly went into the grandstand. And then the marshalls just casually tipping the car back over onto it's wheels...

Barrichello's crash was probably the most violent of the lot. I mean, it basically came to a dead stop as soon as it hit the wall :|
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Wizzie wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Barrichello's crash shocked me as well. The car nearly went into the grandstand. And then the marshalls just casually tipping the car back over onto it's wheels...

Barrichello's crash was probably the most violent of the lot. I mean, it basically came to a dead stop as soon as it hit the wall :|

I think that's the part that got me the most when I first watched the film. Watching the marshalls just casually push the car back over whilst Rubens was still inside was terrible. I hate seeing sub-standard marshalling, I think it's the worst part of motorsport because it's something that could so easily be avoided.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

AndreaModa wrote:Watching the marshalls just casually push the car back over whilst Rubens was still inside was terrible.

There was alot of that Back In The Day I seem to remember Damon Hill campaigning for better training after he was flipped quite violently at Estoril Practice in 1994 (dont quote me on any of that). You dont seem to see it as much these days, the flipping or the upturned cars.
Just For One Day...
karsten

Post by karsten »

just wished to add a couple of words about the "overdrive" experience, i play GT5 a lot and i've experienced it quite often in the endurance races or during traininglaps, it usually triggers when i run on hard tires that keep their grip the same for long...

yesterday i had 5 consecutive laps on 20/1000 of a sec i.e., i usually snap out when i do a mistake, when i get to lap a car or something like that.

also it seems to me that when i try a flying lap with all my concentration, as if my eyes "cave" in as if the pupils dilatates or something like that and the track seems "nearer".

difficult to explain, i feel a little nutty now :?
Missing the good old Minardi! T_T
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

karsten wrote:just wished to add a couple of words about the "overdrive" experience, i play GT5 a lot and i've experienced it quite often in the endurance races or during traininglaps, it usually triggers when i run on hard tires that keep their grip the same for long...

yesterday i had 5 consecutive laps on 20/1000 of a sec i.e., i usually snap out when i do a mistake, when i get to lap a car or something like that.

also it seems to me that when i try a flying lap with all my concentration, as if my eyes "cave" in as if the pupils dilatates or something like that and the track seems "nearer".

difficult to explain, i feel a little nutty now :?

I kinda know what you mean. I seem to get into a 'zone', transfixed on my driving and seem to be a little 'detached' from the car. When I make a small mistake or come up to another car, my reactions 'snap back' and it takes me a few laps to get it back. Weird I know.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015