2014 launch thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Jocke1

Re: 2014 launch thread

Post by Jocke1 »

AustralianStig wrote:Have Sauber and Force India forgotten their identities? Seriously, Sauber used to be the interesting, banzai team that were a little bit crazy, and Force India were the ho-hum team with boring cars and drivers (generally).

Now FI have the most exciting driver line up of the mid-field, a bitchin' livery...and now Sauber have a boring line up, the same livery, a conservative design...

and the link to all this ----> Sutil
-*:-
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Jocke1 wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:Have Sauber and Force India forgotten their identities? Seriously, Sauber used to be the interesting, banzai team that were a little bit crazy, and Force India were the ho-hum team with boring cars and drivers (generally).

Now FI have the most exciting driver line up of the mid-field, a bitchin' livery...and now Sauber have a boring line up, the same livery, a conservative design...

Mind = blown
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Further thoughts:

Ferrari - Front on, it looks nice, they've avoided the phallic nose. Side on, its the ugliest of the lot. The massive drop in the front wing is not pretty and as many have suggested, it brings to mind an anteater. The back of the car looks both nicely packaged and good in black livery.

Sauber - Can't say much as we don't have a front view yet. The nose is probably similar to the McLaren and the rest and the car looks like last year. Same stale livery.

As for Mercedes, they are really giving away a dangerous amount of information about their car so early on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkMh_PCfWTo :lol:
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I've had a further thought on what the Ferrari nose reminds me of. And while McLaren, Williams and (maybe?) Sauber have gone for the anteater we were expecting, Ferrari's nose reminds me more of that aquarium fish that clamps itself to the side of the tank with a huge sucker and scrapes all the much off - except it's doing that to the track instead.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

watka wrote:As for Mercedes, they are really giving away a dangerous amount of information about their car so early on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkMh_PCfWTo :lol:

Agreed. Lots of teams will take advantage of this. :P
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Ladies and gentleman, I give you F1 2014:

I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Jocke1 wrote:

Actually, Sauber have had a reputation of "boring" for most of their history. They kept the same uninspiring livery between 1996-2005...

OTOH, Force India have been quite interesting to me since 2009, and worthy of prise for resisting the pay-driver invasion. Yes, they want and hire drivers with cash, but Mallya has always kept away from employing purely cash drivers like Maldonado, Karthikeyan, Gutiérrez...
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

The Ferrari, while avoiding some other kind of front wing, still managed to somehow drop a big crane on top of that nose. It's stupidly weird to look at.

The Sauber's presentation with only 2 pictures is so scarce that is not even worth mention. I hope that it is not a sign of their finances...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Rusujuur

Post by Rusujuur »

Now that we have seen almost half the field I have to say, the cars are rather nice. I also don't fancy the noses but I was somehow led to believe that it will be even worse. If you look beyeond the noses they are all sleek and the flow of the coke-bottle is nice and clean. You don't have so much "stuff" crammed in the backside, it is simpler and cleaner. All these coandas and such made the cars look a bit strange in my eyes. The internet is full of "these are ugliest cars ever" threads but they obviously haven't seen the cars from the early aero days and have forgotten the pre-2009 cars with the bits protruding from everywhere.

As for the engines, I have to say "meh" to all the naysayers. I really don't care about the sound as I only hear it from the TV and it has always been pretty much the same with the commentary being louder etc. I will probably never attend a GP where the rumble will be obviously different but I do have to say that technologically these are the most complex and advanced of all the engines ever produces with the interaction between the different components etc. etc. When DVF was ubiquitous nobody was complaining...

I mean, obviously these are not the fastest or the most beautiful F1 cars to ever hit the road by any standards but I think that point where the Formula was tuned down for lower speeds was already reached when ground effect was discovered and banned.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Oh dear. :lol:

The new Toro Rosso has just been launched, and it's more of the same. :? :lol:

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
kowalski

Post by kowalski »

East Londoner wrote:

oh lord :shock:
Sakon Yamamoto - Not bad for a third driver
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

kowalski wrote:
East Londoner wrote:

That car needs to see a bloody doctor.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

East Londoner wrote:Image

UNIFIN...Fin...fin..hmm...dolphin?...the C33Flipper?

The red stripes on the mouth are even represented on the Sauber!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

They can give those 'noses' names of animal noses all they want. It doesn't fool me though. Those are designers taking advantage of rules to see who has it bigger and thicker.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Eifelland

Post by Eifelland »

At only £22.99, that Toro Rosso probably has the cheapest ever F1 nosecone...

http://pinkrocket.co.uk/lelo-ella-black ... dildo.html

Just sayin'
Jocke1 is my spirit animal

Forza Minardi. Forza Bianchi. Forza Rejects.
VirtuaMcPolygon

Post by VirtuaMcPolygon »

Well looking at the Toro… just reminds me disturbingly of Noseybonk…

Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I see Toro Rosso has just revealed their new "John Holmes car".

That marks the definitive end of the animals comparisons. It's on to humans now, clearly.

I predict the Caterham CT04 will look like Julia Roberts, the Marussia MR03 Dustin Hoffman, the Mercedes F1 W05 Serena Williams,
and the Williams FW36 William Wallace.
Waris

Post by Waris »

In the midst of all this nosiness, here's a comment about liveries that I didn't know where else to post: I really think McLaren should get a red and white livery, so they can lure Hamilton back. The prospect of yellow helmet + white and red car must be too attractive for him, surely?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
VirtuaMcPolygon

Post by VirtuaMcPolygon »

Oh well it's all for the lulz..

the world is turning into

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1w-cHBSZCo

… anyway
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

It seems aerodynamicists have been taking their inspiration from Alan Rickman's face...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Rusujuur

Post by Rusujuur »

Toro rosso:

mario

Post by mario »

roblomas52 wrote:
kowalski wrote:
East Londoner wrote:

That car needs to see a bloody doctor.

It's a shame that extension has ruined what would otherwise be quite a striking car - the bulk of the nose cone is a lot slimmer and higher than most teams, and the rear end packaging seems to be fairly tight too.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

pasta_maldonado wrote:The thing is though, the Sauber looks nice in the studio, but the fact the car is actually dark grey makes it look rubbish out on track. Would look far better in matte black....

I see a grey car and I want it painted black...Image

I agree, it reminds me a little of the 2010 HRT. But it's still a decent livery, much better than the awful one in 2010-2012.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I bet Robert Kubica is looking at these new cars and thinking everyone's taking the piss out of him.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
kowalski

Post by kowalski »

FullMetalJack wrote:I bet Robert Kubica is looking at these new cars and thinking everyone's taking the piss out of him.

boom!

what about Prost too?
Sakon Yamamoto - Not bad for a third driver
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

kowalski wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:I bet Robert Kubica is looking at these new cars and thinking everyone's taking the piss out of him.

boom!

what about Prost too?

Cyrano d' Bergerac just called he wants his nose back....
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Toro Rosso presents the STR-Yousillieroutlaw...

VirtuaMcPolygon wrote:Well looking at the Toro… just reminds me disturbingly of Noseybonk…

I'm going to have that tune spinning round in my head every time I watch a Grand Prix now.

I
WILL
EAT
YOUR
SOUL
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

More like these guys:

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

All this talk of noses had me remember a childrens movie from the eighties I watched growing up.
'Jim and the Pirates Blom'.
http://youtu.be/Jvbok6kq_6A?t=2m11s
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

The Sauber nose is actually rather nice. Rebuke clearly thought about what they wanes to
Do.

As for the Toro Rosso, that's surely a piss-take yeah?

Yeah?!
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

They should put this on one of the cars.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Shizuka wrote:Image

> 9 months later. 3am in a garage somewhere:

Lotus E22 -- Honey, wake up. My oil broke.
McLaren MP4-29 -- Huh? What?
Lotus E22 -- I think my oil just broke.
McLaren MP4-29 -- Are you sure? Alright, calm down sweetheart. I'll call for the Safety Car.
Lotus E22 -- I AM CALM !! Oooo hurry.
McLaren MP4-29 -- Calling now, sweetheart. Just remember to focus on your breathing, just like Hartstein said.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

It's all so obvious where this has all been coming from. I have to say it's slightly amusing to see F1 cars, which are in my mind obliged to be beautiful cars being made fun of with some of them dirty jokes :lol:

Taki Inoue as far as I'm concerned is very right about these new cars :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Well I disapprove of orange in most cases, and that is one of them. Although it will blend in with the Ferrari red a bit better, which is why I feel Alonso's helmet doesn't fit into a Ferrari setting.

EIDT - Some words from Franz Tost:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112306
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

ok STR are some trolls here. at least make the entire nose gold so it wont necessarily .... ehem.... "stick out" from the rest of the car. it just looks like they are trolling Ecclestodt by meeting the bare minimum.
hopefully AMG, Caterham, and Marussia are better.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

go_Rubens wrote:

Well I disapprove of orange in most cases, and that is one of them. Although it will blend in with the Ferrari red a bit better, which is why I feel Alonso's helmet doesn't fit into a Ferrari setting.

EIDT - Some words from Franz Tost:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112306

The Caterham boss summed that up perfectly in that article.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

I guess it now makes this song more understandable. :lol:
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

2014 Reject of the Year: Car aesthetics. That is all. :)

There's something about years ending in 4 though. 1984 had the massive rear wings monstrosities.

The 1994 cars generally looked great at the start of the year but ended up looking terrible after all the hacking the cars with the safety measures, for instance Ferrari chopping their sidepods in half, and those stupid slots in the airboxes looked hideous (why didn't they just remove them altogether? Advertising space?).

And of course 2004 was the year of Walrus-nose!!!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)