2016 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Re: 2016 Silly Season Thread

Post by Londoner »

Aston Martin have also talked to Williams and Force India over the weekend. A tie-up with the Force would be very beneficial for Aston, as it gives them an access route into the potentially huge Indian market. It'd also be beneficial for old Vijay, given the mess he's found himself in with Kingfisher. :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Lotus have been one of the less financially secure teams for some time now and this seems to show just how serious their situation is.
#FreeGonzo
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I've come to the conclusion that being linked to taking part in F1 is the new taking part in F1 :D Some firms have it right; rather than go down the road of actually starting a team or joining a team just let word spread that you might be interested and then you get the publicity without the hassle of spending a shedload of cash with probably cock-all to show for it other than Jacques Villeneuve not ruling himself of the running for the drive.

So congrats to Aston Martin, Audi and all the others who's profiles were raised at a cost of nothing and with no pootling round the back of the grid for years on end.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:I've come to the conclusion that being linked to taking part in F1 is the new taking part in F1 :D Some firms have it right; rather than go down the road of actually starting a team or joining a team just let word spread that you might be interested and then you get the publicity without the hassle of spending a shedload of cash with probably cock-all to show for it other than Jacques Villeneuve not ruling himself of the running for the drive.

So congrats to Aston Martin, Audi and all the others who's profiles were raised at a cost of nothing and with no pootling round the back of the grid for years on end.

Given that the fans don't even know what is a cylinder and how many an F1 engine has, it is quite possible that they think Audi is racing in F1 and being quite successful at it.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:Given that the fans don't even know what is a cylinder and how many an F1 engine has, it is quite possible that they think Audi is racing in F1 and being quite successful at it.

To be fair, I don't think it should be a pre-requisite for fans to have that level of understanding to enjoy F1 or any other motorsport, do you? My enjoyment of F1 over the years has neither increased nor decreased as my (limited) technical knowledge has developed.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:To be fair, I don't think it should be a pre-requisite for fans to have that level of understanding to enjoy F1 or any other motorsport, do you? My enjoyment of F1 over the years has neither increased nor decreased as my (limited) technical knowledge has developed.

It is true. And it isn't. But I reckon you need to have at least that level of interest if you are going to an F1 race these days (Or going with someone with that knowledge) or buying a TV subscription to watch F1. That used to happen when you were zapping and found F1 was on.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:
CoopsII wrote:To be fair, I don't think it should be a pre-requisite for fans to have that level of understanding to enjoy F1 or any other motorsport, do you? My enjoyment of F1 over the years has neither increased nor decreased as my (limited) technical knowledge has developed.

It is true. And it isn't. But I reckon you need to have at least that level of interest if you are going to an F1 race these days (Or going with someone with that knowledge) or buying a TV subscription to watch F1. That used to happen when you were zapping and found F1 was on.

Yeah, if you're going to blow a tonne of cash on pay-per-view you're probably going to have to be a seriously invested fan (which leads on to why the viewership isn't expanding, obviously) but surely you can be really into it just because of the cars going fast, the racing and the personalities without needing any technical understanding. It's almost snobbish to suggest viewers who don't know the cylinder question aren't proper F1 fans or that they're not getting "it".
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:Yeah, if you're going to blow a tonne of cash on pay-per-view you're probably going to have to be a seriously invested fan (which leads on to why the viewership isn't expanding, obviously) but surely you can be really into it just because of the cars going fast, the racing and the personalities without needing any technical understanding. It's almost snobbish to suggest viewers who don't know the cylinder question aren't proper F1 fans or that they're not getting "it".

You can be into racing, cars going fast and personalities without knowing that question and not be 'lesser' fan. My only issue with it is that I bet you will struggle to find one that watches F1 and not something else. Besides, one of F1 selling points is precisely technology and having fans who don't know this means F1 in its whole is failing at promoting this point. Also, not knowing this (and other stuff) will make your life difficult when it comes to enjoying the racing (after all, without a minimum of knowledge how one will understand DRS? And 'dirty' air? And tyres?). My initial remark is precisely against those who assume that half the fans don't care about technology when watching the sport. I seriously think it is the wrong image of the typical fan that is being swinging about.
Bobby Doorknobs

Two rather big announcements:

The FIA have revised the superlicence points system. It now includes WTCC, DTM, Indy Lights (only logical if IndyCar is already eligible) and even the Karting World Championship. Also, the Formula E champion is automatically eligible for a superlicence, although Formula E still does not otherwise contribute towards superlicence points.

The 2016 calendar has been published. It would seem that the recent speculation on the calendar order was correct, with Australia and China being held back-to-back, Russia being moved to May, Baku being held in July between Austria and Germany, and Malaysia being moved to September when it will be held the week after Singapore. No venue has been finalised for the German Grand Prix.
#FreeGonzo
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Simtek wrote:The 2016 calendar has been published. It would seem that the recent speculation on the calendar order was correct, with Australia and China being held back-to-back, Russia being moved to May, Baku being held in July between Austria and Germany, and Malaysia being moved to September when it will be held the week after Singapore. No venue has been finalised for the German Grand Prix.

How is the weather usually on May 1st in Sotchi? I hope it's not too cool. Germany is likely going to be Hockenheim because it would have been Hockenheim's turn in 2016 anyway. Hockenheim just didn't want to replace Nürburgring this year. Is not announcing the venue right now maybe a clue that somebody might have a little beef with that decision of Hockenheim? Has the venue for the Italian GP been specified? If so, is it Monza or Imola now? Having Singapore and Sepang back to back is good for traveling fans but it kind of ruins the original somnambulist schedule of running the former event on Central European time in the night. The teams will have to go through a week of jetlag between races in the far East next year or work in the night in Singapore.
And calling Baku a venue in Europe is kind of b*nkers if you know about geography. It's more odd than hosting the Pacific GP at Wolokolamsk a/k/a Moscow Raceway because Russia has a Pacific coastline which, of course, has not been announced.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Race 2 - China
Race 3 - Bahrain
Race 4 - Russia
Race 5 - Spain
Race 6 - Monaco

That sounds reeeaaallly boring. Like all the boring in a row for 2 months.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

China's had some pretty good races. But yeah, the rest of those races aren't gonna do the early season much favours.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

And, correct me If I'm wrong, but there's no more Summer break?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
razta

Post by razta »

Miguel98 wrote:And, correct me If I'm wrong, but there's no more Summer break?

it's been reduced to 3 weeks from Hungary on the 7th August to Belgium on the 28th
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Salamander wrote:China's had some pretty good races. But yeah, the rest of those races aren't gonna do the early season much favours.

China is really hit and miss to be honest. One year we'll get a great race, it will be shite the year after, with no consistency.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I remember a month or two back Bernie was threatening the existence of the Italian Grand Prix. With the way of things I can predict at least one of these tracks will pull out before the season begins.

Which track(s) do you guys reckon will be dropped before the season begins?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Whatever happened to the American Grand Prix? Earlier this year Bernie was quoted as saying he still fancied it, now it's not on the calendar and everyone seems to have gone quiet about it??
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Bobby Doorknobs

Waris wrote:Whatever happened to the American Grand Prix? Earlier this year Bernie was quoted as saying he still fancied it, now it's not on the calendar and everyone seems to have gone quiet about it??

The gist of it is that the promoters never raised sufficient funds for hosting the race.
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:I remember a month or two back Bernie was threatening the existence of the Italian Grand Prix. With the way of things I can predict at least one of these tracks will pull out before the season begins.

Which track(s) do you guys reckon will be dropped before the season begins?

I am fairly certain that whilst the German GP is on the calendar, the actual venue has not been formally confirmed - it would suggest that particular event is still vulnerable given the well known funding issues they've hit in the past.

It is true that Monza is potentially vulnerable given that their contract expires next year, and we know that Bernie has been playing hardball with the circuit owners. I think that the other circuit whose contract is up for renewal this year might be Sakhir - although you would expect them to renew the deal, given that the Qatari's are reportedly keen to buy into F1, it would be the perfect opportunity for Bahrain to conveniently drop off the calendar in favour of an event in Qatar.

Simtek wrote:
Waris wrote:Whatever happened to the American Grand Prix? Earlier this year Bernie was quoted as saying he still fancied it, now it's not on the calendar and everyone seems to have gone quiet about it??

The gist of it is that the promoters never raised sufficient funds for hosting the race.

There are some who wonder whether the developers really intended to build a circuit in the first place - it was noted that a large amount of the public infrastructure that was installed around the circuit was not designed to be removed, as in Albert Park, and could not be left in place around the circuit given that they would obstruct access to the pits and to the track.

It has been cynically suggested that the suggestion that a circuit would be built was simply the way that the property developer in question obtained planning permission for his development complex, before quietly changing the designs of the buildings to the luxury developments that occupy the site now.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Waris

Post by Waris »

mario wrote:
Simtek wrote:

There are some who wonder whether the developers really intended to build a circuit in the first place - it was noted that a large amount of the public infrastructure that was installed around the circuit was not designed to be removed, as in Albert Park, and could not be left in place around the circuit given that they would obstruct access to the pits and to the track.

It has been cynically suggested that the suggestion that a circuit would be built was simply the way that the property developer in question obtained planning permission for his development complex, before quietly changing the designs of the buildings to the luxury developments that occupy the site now.

Bah, that would really really disappoint me if that is indeed the case. The circuit they had designed was actually really nice too, IMHO.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

And the biggest problem with the licence system, no 40 points for the FR3.5 champion, is still present.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:And the biggest problem with the licence system, no 40 points for the FR3.5 champion, is still present.

That is only a problem from a certain point of view. The FIA likes it better that way.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Klon wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:And the biggest problem with the licence system, no 40 points for the FR3.5 champion, is still present.

That is only a problem from a certain point of view. The FIA likes it better that way.

I don't understand any line of thought which results in the FR3.5 champion not being good enough for F1 by itself - the series has produced as many drivers for F1 as any other in recent years. I mean, obviously the FIA has an agenda here in promoting their own series, I just don't see any way you can logically defend this.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

On the subject of silly news, apparently Lewis was denied entry to the Wimbledon Final this afternoon, which I thought was hilarious, seeing as all you have to do is dress in a suit and tie. Also, having seen the pictures, his shirt is bordering on "Hawaiian" :facepalm:
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Rob Dylan wrote:On the subject of silly news, apparently Lewis was denied entry to the Wimbledon Final this afternoon, which I thought was hilarious, seeing as all you have to do is dress in a suit and tie. Also, having seen the pictures, his shirt is bordering on "Hawaiian" :facepalm:

He's certainly overtaken Villeneuve in the 'dressing like a twat' stakes. And Schumacher with his Rodeo-chic :D
Just For One Day...
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

mario wrote:

I live in New Jersey, and this sort of bullshit is par for the course here. Probably 100% true, to be honest.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
LovelyFondmetal

Post by LovelyFondmetal »

What I think will happen next year:

Mercedes
6. Nico Rosberg
44. Lewis Hamilton

After Hamilton wins a 3rd championship (yawn/hooray, delete as appropriate), it is business as usual. Merc's advantage is down from last year (e.g. 2003 Ferrari, 2012 Red Bull) but they are still the class of the field. Hamilton now appears to disappointingly have a perpetual psychological edge on Rosberg. Hamilton will probably win a 4th championship, but it is closer than the previous 2 years.

What I hope happens: Hamilton does not win a 4th championship. Hamilton finally gets over Nicole Scherzinger by marrying the entire BBC and Sky commentary teams, as they give him the support he needs......

Ferrari
5. Seb Vettel
77. Valteri Bottas

Ferrari are closer to Merc than this year, and Vettel beats Rosberg to 2nd in the championship. Bottas replaces Raikonnen, much to the dismay of Vettel. Seb is the main rival to Hamilton for the Championship, but is beaten by Bottas on occasion and has the odd hissy fit as a result. Bottas gets his maiden win.

What I hope happens: Bottas beats Vettel, Ferrari are real competition to Merc.

Williams - Mercedes
12. Felipe Nasr
19. Felipe Massa

Williams get back their old test driver to replace Bottas, resulting in the most confusing driver pairing since Ligier in 1993. They fall back slightly, but do not have a bad year by any means with Massa grabbing a handful of podiums and Nasr showing flashes of brilliance.

What I hope happens: Williams close the gap to Merc/Ferrari, Massa wins a race.

Red Bull - Renault
3. Daniel Ricciardo
26. Daniil Kvyat

After the Aston Martin deal falls through, Red Bull continue with Renault engines. Ricciardo gets a lucky win but ultimately no real progress is made. Kvyat gets his first podium.

What I hope happens: Dr Helmut Marko is fired, Ricciardo rediscovers the 2014 magic.

Force India - Mercedes
11. Sergio Perez
29. Jolyon Palmer

Hulkenberg runs out of patience so leaves for Haas, and so Jolyon Palmer is taken on after he is persona-non-grata at Renault.

What I hope happens: Perez does 2012-style ultra long stints and gets on the podium in at least 2 races.

Renault
8. Romain Grosjean
13. Pastor Maldonado

Renault buy back Lotus, infuriating Red Bull but contracts mean Red Bull is still equal with the "works" team. Both drivers are kept, although Maldonado only for his money. Nicolas Prost becomes test driver.

What I hope happens: The 2008 Singapore crashgate scandal is re-enacted, but fails when Maldonado DOES NOT CRASH, and some poorly coded radio messages reveal the whole scheme when Maldonado's engineer is heard screaming "THE BLACK CHICKEN FLIES AT MIDNIGHT" down the radio at him for many laps..... :P

Toro Rosso - Renault
33. Max Verstappen
55. Carlos Sainz jr.

Business as usual for Toro Rosso, with both rookies continuing to develop well. Expect regular points.

What I hope happens: Podium for Sainz jr.

Sauber - Ferrari
9. Marcus Ericsson
47. Fabio Leimer

Sauber struggle for money and performance, with it looking increasingly likely the team will close down at the end of the year

What I hope happens: Sauber survive.

McLaren - Honda
14. Fernando Alonso
20. Kevin Magnussen

Mr. Dennis gets his way, and Magnussen replaces Button. The car is better than this year but not my enough to challenge for wins. A frustrated Alonso starts talking about Le Mans....

What I hope happens: They build a decent car (imagine saying that a few years back?!)

Manor - Honda
22. Jenson Button
34. Stoffel Vandoorne

Manor is bought by McLaren as a b-team to help with development of both engine and drivers. Button is farmed out there to gather helpful info but retires at the end of the year, while Vandoorne makes his debut.

What I hope happens: Points are scored at least once. Manor deserve it after all they have been through.

Haas - Ferrari
27. Nico Hulkenberg
48. Alex Rossi

Hulkenburg goes here after Bottas gets the Ferrari drive, and Rossi is the token American driver. Some points are had, but the car is temperamental.

What I hope happens: Team copies the 1985/6 Haas team and recruits a recently retired successful Australian driver. Mark Webber portrays Alan Jones in this case.
Last edited by LovelyFondmetal on 16 Jul 2015, 04:01, edited 1 time in total.
razta

Post by razta »

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/two-u ... uld-happen

Who will they buy? Lotus? Manor? maybe Sauber
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

razta wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/two-us-teams-on-the-f1-grid-in-2016-it-could-happen

Who will they buy? Lotus? Manor? maybe Sauber

Manor is mentioned as most likely in the article, but Lopez seems to want to sell Lotus. So if Renault decides against buying Lotus, selling to Hellmund/Carney would be another option.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Really enjoyed the LovelyFondmetal post predicting Williams having the most confusing driver line up ...in history, surely? At least Brundle and Blundell managed to have different first names.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

yannicksamlad wrote:Really enjoyed the LovelyFondmetal post predicting Williams having the most confusing driver line up ...in history, surely? At least Brundle and Blundell managed to have different first names.

What are we to do in such an eventuality? It doesn't make sense to call one Felipão because the taller one is the far less experienced one and the racing veteran is one of the smallest drivers in the field. That, and there's already an extremely famous Felipão in Brazil - the one that led the national team to the World Cup in 2002 and disaster in Belo Horizonte last year with the 7-1!

You can't call Massa Felipinho either - that's his son's name. So what's left? I think we'd have to start refer to the elder driver as Felipe Paulista. At least it distinguishes one from the other. Or perhaps we can go down the Olivier Quesnel route and call them Felipe One and Felipe Two - as he did with the two Sébastiens (Loeb and Ogier) at Citroen's WRC team back in 2011.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

I'd go for Massa & Freddie. I had a big laugh when Brundle actually decided to stick with it :D
... Although he doesn't seem to be calling Nasr 'Freddie' anymore.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

LovelyFondmetal wrote:What I think will happen next year:
28. Jolyon Palmer
47. Fabio Leimer[/b]
34. Stoffel Vandoorne[/b]
48. Alex Rossi[/b]

How did you come up with these numbers for the rookies? (except that 28 is not available btw)
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

I don't know what i want and i want it now!
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

This wrote:Image

ok im going way off topic but saison is one beer style I am yet to try along with those od ones with cherry and strawberry in them
LovelyFondmetal

Bleu wrote:
LovelyFondmetal wrote:What I think will happen next year:
28. Jolyon Palmer
47. Fabio Leimer[/b]
34. Stoffel Vandoorne[/b]
48. Alex Rossi[/b]

How did you come up with these numbers for the rookies? (except that 28 is not available btw)

I merely chose them randlomly to use as placeholders. They seemed inoffensive and no more likely to be incorrect than any others (aside from 28; who is that Gutierrez?)

Adam :)
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

#28 is the mighty Will Stevens.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
LovelyFondmetal

AndreaModa wrote:#28 is the mighty Will Stevens.

So he is, I stand corrected. I assumed he was #46 as that was the number he used at Caterham in Abu Dhabi last year. It is always good to check these things :P

Adam :D
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

And Maldonado is #13...
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
LovelyFondmetal

novitopoli wrote:And Maldonado is #13...

This I knew, but while creating the layout there was some copying and pasting involved. I shall fix both.