The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Barbazza

Re: The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

Post by Barbazza »

FullMetalJack wrote:We should never have wanted Sullivan and Gold to go, it seemed like a good idea at the time

I remember being glad that they were the ones who took over at our club. That seemed like a good idea at the time as well. Maybe when we're finally shot of the fat one, it will be.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Barbazza wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:We should never have wanted Sullivan and Gold to go, it seemed like a good idea at the time

I remember being glad that they were the ones who took over at our club. That seemed like a good idea at the time as well. Maybe when we're finally shot of the fat one, it will be.

At least Fatty made some good loan signings in the January window. Armero, Nocerino, Borriello, all decent players.

However, it appears now that Inter Milan is trying to buy every English Premier League player under the sun now....
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Biscione wrote:At least Fatty made some good loan signings in the January window. Armero, Nocerino, Borriello, all decent players...

Indeed, but as with every occasion where he brings in players on loan, he's not playing them! His excuse will be that we have (recently) had a winning team. Fair enough, but we have had a relatively easy run of fixtures - something the media, who have always been in love with him, are unsurprisingly ignoring when bigging up his 'rescue' act.

If you bring in international players on loan, they are expecting to play. How is George McCartney better than Armero? How are pretty much all of our strikers better than Borriello? Nocerino has had a little bit of action on the pitch, but only as a sub. Other players we've taken on loan before (eg Chamakh) have said how they've been made promises about their integral part in the team only to be left on the bench permanently.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

George McCartney has "Championship player" written all over him...that's probably why Allardyce picks him.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Barbazza wrote:
Biscione wrote:At least Fatty made some good loan signings in the January window. Armero, Nocerino, Borriello, all decent players...

Indeed, but as with every occasion where he brings in players on loan, he's not playing them! His excuse will be that we have (recently) had a winning team. Fair enough, but we have had a relatively easy run of fixtures - something the media, who have always been in love with him, are unsurprisingly ignoring when bigging up his 'rescue' act.

If you bring in international players on loan, they are expecting to play. How is George McCartney better than Armero? How are pretty much all of our strikers better than Borriello? Nocerino has had a little bit of action on the pitch, but only as a sub. Other players we've taken on loan before (eg Chamakh) have said how they've been made promises about their integral part in the team only to be left on the bench permanently.

Right, well, that's Fatty made me look like a clown then. I haven't bothered paying any attention to the EPL lately, I just noticed the three of them leaving my beloved Serie A. Armero should be be starting week in week out! Borriello was a bit shaky recently, but maybe he can be useful.

Image Image
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

So Tottenham lost yet another match to a top club and that got me thinking. How many stand out players do Spurs have? Because now that Bale has left, I don't think we have one.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

roblomas52 wrote:So Tottenham lost yet another match to a top club and that got me thinking. How many stand out players do Spurs have? Because now that Bale has left, I don't think we have one.

You've got plenty of good players, its just that they are inept at playing as a team because they are constantly on rotation. How many midfielders do you need?!?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

BBC's idea of 'expert football analysis' is an utter utter joke. Just look at this drivel;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26351331

As well as new stadiums, [Harry Philp, a football finance expert at London-based firm Portland Advisers] says, clubs need to establish new and smarter ticket-pricing strategies, introduce more and better corporate facilities, and develop wider commercial strategies.

"This latter point could include targeting potential prime markets such as in East Asia, much as Premier League clubs have done, and introducing sponsorship segmentation and different sponsor tiers," he says.

Inter Milan already do this under Thohir. He even created an entirely new role for it. Are you out of the loop or what? Michael Williamson was drafted in to do exactly this job.

"Serie A should also be looking for a title sponsor along the lines of the Barclays Premier League."

They already have one. Telecom Italia Mobile. That's why it's called Serie A TIM, moron.

Thank you for pointing out the f-ing obvious. Inter have been trying to get new stadium proposals past the Milan council red-tape for 7 years now, to no avail. Do you just think we are sitting on our ass in ignorance? Well, maybe clowns Zamparini in Palermo and Cellino in Cagliari are, but at least some teams are serious about it.

That article would maybe have been insightful a decade or so ago, but now it's just pointless regurgitation of things that have been said over and over for years and years already.

And we're wasting public money on this?!

Image Image
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

You didn't even mention the abysmal use of grammar and over-abundance of commas in that first paragraph.

Pretty much all of the BBC website is now utter drivel, both in terms of content and use of English. The ridiculous story about 'Britain's second city' today just proves it. I know what the second city is, because I live in it. It is NOT Manchester, whichever way you cut the statistics. We all know why you're claiming that it is, and that's because you've just built a massive white elephant there. Congratulations.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Barbazza wrote:You didn't even mention the abysmal use of grammar and over-abundance of commas in that first paragraph.

Pretty much all of the BBC website is now utter drivel, both in terms of content and use of English. The ridiculous story about 'Britain's second city' today just proves it. I know what the second city is, because I live in it. It is NOT Manchester, whichever way you cut the statistics. We all know why you're claiming that it is, and that's because you've just built a massive white elephant there. Congratulations.

Eurosport should have covered the Winter Olympics instead. That way I could have seen all my favorite sports on TV. It was so frustrating having to use the laptop all the time and don't get me started on the overuse of Curling. I know we had interest and deservedly so but it's just pure boredom to watch really
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:It was so frustrating having to use the laptop all the time and don't get me started on the overuse of Curling. I know we had interest and deservedly so but it's just pure boredom to watch really

It's better than biathlon any day of the week. Image

#lovecurling
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

East Londoner wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:It was so frustrating having to use the laptop all the time and don't get me started on the overuse of Curling. I know we had interest and deservedly so but it's just pure boredom to watch really

It's better than biathlon any day of the week. Image

#lovecurling

Yeah right In a parallel universe perhaps

#dontlovecurling
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Shut up about your stupid diddy wee sports nobody gives a toss about! This is the football thread! :P

Image Image
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Biscione wrote:Shut up about your stupid diddy wee sports nobody gives a toss about! This is the football thread! :P

Give this man a beer!

Actually, seeing as it's Biscione, give him 47 beers, 7 whiskeys, 21 shots, 19 Jagerbombs and half a bottle of anti-freeze :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
Biscione wrote:Shut up about your stupid diddy wee sports nobody gives a toss about! This is the football thread! :P

Give this man a beer!

Actually, seeing as it's Biscione, give him 47 beers, 7 whiskeys, 21 shots, 19 Jagerbombs and half a bottle of anti-freeze :P

I am sorry but I had to sig that. :lol:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Actually, seeing as it's Biscione, give him 47 beers, 7 whiskeys, 21 shots, 19 Jagerbombs and half a bottle of anti-freeze :P

...as well as a can of Irn-Bru and a packet of Tunnock's wafers for the hangover the next morning.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

Jermaine DaFoe carries Toronto FC after he scores twice in the first half on his début. Toronto managed to defeat the Seattle Sounders 2-1 by full time. Yes, TFC won a football match.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

The glorious Arsenal 1-0 Shite Fart Lane

That is all...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

AdrianSutil wrote:The glorious Arsenal 1-0 Shite Fart Lane

That is all...

Saw this earlier:

BBCFootball wrote:...a fired up Adebayor is amongst the league's top strikers...

I almost fell over with laughter :lol:
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

pasta_maldonado wrote:

That is all...

Saw this earlier:

BBCFootball wrote:...a fired up Adebayor is amongst the league's top strikers...

There is no need to laugh because since Sherwood took over, Adebayor has been amazing in the league.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

roblomas52 wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:

That is all...

Saw this earlier:

There is no need to laugh because since Sherwood took over, Adebayor has been amazing in the league.

It's just the rest of the team seem to be lacking a connectivity. Rotating midfielders evey weekend isn't helping things either...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

takagi_for_the_win

pasta_maldonado wrote:

That is all...

Saw this earlier:

A fired up Adebayor you say? Well, what are the odds he's looking for a move away from Spurs? :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

I maintain my opinion that Adebayor is a shockingly bad player, and he became worse after leaving Arsenal :P
takagi_for_the_win

pasta_maldonado wrote:I maintain my opinion that Adebayor is a shockingly bad player, and he became worse after leaving Arsenal :P

Be fair :P When he's looking for moar monies or a new club, he starts banging in the goals like there's no tomorrow. Other than that, he's an overly lanky waste of space.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Hull Tigers sounds like a bad name anyways.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

So, can we mock all the Arsenal fans on the forum yet? :lol:

Seriously, Chelsea absolutely BURIED them.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Appropriate time for Rob to pick up his punishment avatar. Means that he can't celebrate Arsenal getting crushed because he has to be associated with them now!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

East Londoner wrote:So, can we mock all the Arsenal fans on the forum yet? :lol:

Yes we can! :lol:

ROTM has to go to the ref for sending off the wrong player though :lol:

watka wrote:Appropriate time for Rob to pick up his punishment avatar. Means that he can't celebrate Arsenal getting crushed because he has to be associated with them now!

Damn it!
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

East Londoner wrote:So, can we mock all the Arsenal fans on the forum yet? :lol:

FA CUP
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Chelsea would be NOTHING without Abramovich... Arsenal have also never been relegated.

Still, could be worse, at least we're not Tottenham.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

roblomas52 wrote:
watka wrote:Appropriate time for Rob to pick up his punishment avatar. Means that he can't celebrate Arsenal getting crushed because he has to be associated with them now!

Damn it!

Ha, what a coincidence! I, however, am an Arsenal fan. :lol: Go ahead, mock! I wouldn't mind one bit after that shambles of a match!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I really want to look down upon the Arsenal fans for that defeat, but I can't. It's just too risky. Inter are playing Atalanta tomorrow, our midfield bogey team. In the last decade their best league finish was only 8th. But we haven't beaten them for four years now, our last five matches have been three draws and two losses. Some might say blue and black stripes are a curse for Inter... :?

Image Image
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

It's official, after our 2-1 defeat at home to Reading yesterday afternoon, we now have the worst home record of every single team in England's top four divisions.

Not bad considering how two seasons ago, we only lost one home league game all season.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I start to believe that LFC can win the league
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I start to believe that LFC can win the league

Liverpool winning the League? What is this, 1989?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Biscione wrote:I really want to look down upon the Arsenal fans for that defeat, but I can't. It's just too risky. Inter are playing Atalanta tomorrow, our midfield bogey team. In the last decade their best league finish was only 8th. But we haven't beaten them for four years now, our last five matches have been three draws and two losses. Some might say blue and black stripes are a curse for Inter... :?

I'd say it is. Because today's Inter match has to rank as one of the unluckiest losses ever...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

DanielPT wrote:
Biscione wrote:I really want to look down upon the Arsenal fans for that defeat, but I can't. It's just too risky. Inter are playing Atalanta tomorrow, our midfield bogey team. In the last decade their best league finish was only 8th. But we haven't beaten them for four years now, our last five matches have been three draws and two losses. Some might say blue and black stripes are a curse for Inter... :?

I'd say it is. Because today's Inter match has to rank as one of the unluckiest losses ever...

Unlucky? I'd call it careless and wasteful. It was absolutely one-way traffic in the second half, when the scores were level at 1-1, we had so many golden opportunities that weren't finished, and the one time Atalanta gets a counterattack in, they score the winner, with 1 minute of regular time left. A complete disaster, that I absolutely saw coming. Why are we always doing these kind of performances against Atalanta?

Image Image
takagi_for_the_win

Stoke scored 4 times today; the apocalypse is nigh! :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Stoke scored 4 times today; the apocalypse is nigh! :P

Wut the... :o
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote: