Rantbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
AndreaModa

Re: Rantbox

Post by AndreaModa »

East Londoner wrote:Not F1-related, but I need to vent.

The bathplugging NIMBY brigade in this country have struck again. They're trying to get Mallory Park circuit in Leicester shut down because of the noise levels. I swear these sort of people deliberately move near to circuits and entertainment venues, just so they can have a big whinge and kick up a fuss. If the place was there before you moved there, don't bathplugging complain! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Well hold on a second, don't be so quick to blame the villagers. Going by this article, the actual argument centres on whether the circuit can operate on its existing 92 days per year, which the owners say isn't viable, or extend it to 160 days a year. The discussions going on are to determine what the local residents feel is most appropriate, with some seemingly for the extra days, and others against it. What complicates the matter is that the circuit owners have been made an offer for the land by housing developers, so they may well sell up if they can't make money from the circuit. I suspect however that judging by the small size of Kirkby Mallory, the local residents would be averse to any large-scale developments ruining the character of the village. Bear in mind the land taken up by the track is at least double the current size of the village.

The sad fact for Mallory though is that nothing major goes there any more. British Superbikes last went there in 2010, and they haven't had any other major series visit for ages.

I last went there for the Triumph Live event in 2011 which was pretty good, albeit not much actual racing going on. I have fond memories of the place as well - in 2002 as a 12 year old I went with my dad to the BSB race and we came across Neil Hodgson and Steve Hislop just casually having a chat round the back of the paddock. Got both to sign the programme which now proudly sits framed, above my bed!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

The bathplugging NIMBY brigade in this country have struck again. They're trying to get Mallory Park circuit in Leicester shut down because of the noise levels. I swear these sort of people deliberately move near to circuits and entertainment venues, just so they can have a big whinge and kick up a fuss. If the place was there before you moved there, don't bathplugging complain! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I wish a very rich businessman who is very pro-motorsport would buy the Daily Mail and shut up all these middle-class racist NIMBYs by proclaiming the protesters should just f*** off and instead, encourage more motorsport events. Preferably with mufflers removed for maximum noise.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Stramala [kostas22] wrote:I wish a very rich businessman who is very pro-motorsport would buy the Daily Mail and shut up all these middle-class racist NIMBYs by proclaiming the protesters should just f*** off and instead, encourage more motorsport events. Preferably with mufflers removed for maximum noise.

Jeez, you must miss Max Power.
Just For One Day...
RandomClassic

Post by RandomClassic »

Every time I hear someone complain about the noise coming from a race track, it makes my head hurt.
Not removing until HRT is revived.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Jeez it's my own turn to have a rant now. Could everyone actually read the article I linked to in my previous post? No-one is complaining about noise! Mallory could go on with its 92 days a year just fine, no-one's arguing about that. The owners just want to increase it to 160 to keep it viable financially, and so there's a discussion going on between the owners, councilors and locals to decide what to do!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AndreaModa wrote:Jeez it's my own turn to have a rant now. Could everyone actually read the article I linked to in my previous post? No-one is complaining about noise! Mallory could go on with its 92 days a year just fine, no-one's arguing about that. The owners just want to increase it to 160 to keep it viable financially, and so there's a discussion going on between the owners, councilors and locals to decide what to do!

Well, you're not alone in thinking that your post was pretty much ignored. I also thought so.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

AndreaModa wrote:Jeez it's my own turn to have a rant now. Could everyone actually read the article I linked to in my previous post? No-one is complaining about noise! Mallory could go on with its 92 days a year just fine, no-one's arguing about that. The owners just want to increase it to 160 to keep it viable financially, and so there's a discussion going on between the owners, councilors and locals to decide what to do!

I think people are just complaining about NIMBYs in general.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Nimby's are ridiculous. Who-ever decided it's illegal to mow your lawn on sundays? (yes, it is) :roll:
I know a lot about nimby's, i live near the oldest airfield in Belgium, i very much doubt many villagers here were alive in 1909, and those who were, are probably deaf anyway...
And these planes don't actually make a lot of noise, it's mostly gliders, how annoying! And so what if i can hear the cars racing on Circuit Zolder from my home? It's not like they race everyday....
Also, nimby's had let to the phenomenon that Belgians call 'Grands Traveaux Inutiles'. And altough some of these GTI's are pure reject gold), it has led to the infrastructural chaos that our country is now.

And altough noise pollution is a problem, things like better roads and more silent cars/machines would solve a lot of problems. But also ear protection and information is more important than complaining to people who play their radio on an acceptable level or have a conversation in the street. If you ban things like that, they also should ban dogs from barking and birds from singing.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Klon wrote:

Say what you want about non-democratic dictatorships: this garbage doesn't happen there. :lol:

Pick your poison, I suppose...

Also, why is there no thread advertising the F1 Rejects IRC channel? I camp in there a lot lately but not many people show up... maybe due to lack of awareness?
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Cynon wrote:Also, why is there no thread advertising the F1 Rejects IRC channel? I camp in there a lot lately but not many people show up... maybe due to lack of awareness?

There is, but like most other important threads it could really use a sticky.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Hey, you remember when Kimi went for an ice-cream and a Coke during that red flag? THAT WAS FOUR. bathplug. YEARS. AGO. Get over it.

And stop doing shite like this, Lotus. He wasn't even your sodding driver then.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Has anyone read any of Kate Walker's "blogs" on ESPNF1?

If no, don't. It's the biggest pile of misinformed and irrelevant drivel I've ever read.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

GwilymJJames wrote:Hey, you remember when Kimi went for an ice-cream and a Coke during that red flag? THAT WAS FOUR. bathplug. YEARS. AGO. Get over it.

I'm beginnig to go off Lotus/Enstone/Renault/Benetton/Toleman with all their cheesy PR tricks and whatnot. I like the drivers, but not the team
TORA! TORA! TORA!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
GwilymJJames wrote:Hey, you remember when Kimi went for an ice-cream and a Coke during that red flag? THAT WAS FOUR. bathplug. YEARS. AGO. Get over it.

I'm beginnig to go off Lotus/Enstone/Renault/Benetton/Toleman with all their cheesy PR tricks and whatnot. I like the drivers, but not the team

#I'mSexyandIKnowIt

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...no.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

shinji wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:

#I'mSexyandIKnowIt

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...no.

That was the most obnoxious thing. Especially considering their car is probably the worst-looking on the grid.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

#CatchTheBull was a great idea last year. They seem to have got a bit cocky since then though.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AndreaModa wrote:#CatchTheBull was a great idea last year. They seem to have got a bit cocky since then though.

Lotus PR is a disaster. They have no idea how to utilise social media properly. Complete gross overuse of the hashtag #WeMissedYou, which was too cheesy to be used to begin with, a one way twitter stream, lots of pointless psuedo-instagramness, it's an amalgamation of useless rubbish. Sometimes I look at some organisations appraoch to social media and facepalm so hard. It's like they don't understand the "social" component. Do I want to end my own tweets with some cheesey rubbish hashtag? No thanks, I'm a human being with at least a shred of dignity.

Fire the idiot.

Image Image
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Re: Team Enstone: which team's historical results do they use, and if its lotus do they then get the results credited to the now caterham team

Confused of Forres (aged 38, 500 miles from enstone)
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Stramala [kostas22] wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:#CatchTheBull was a great idea last year. They seem to have got a bit cocky since then though.

Lotus PR is a disaster. They have no idea how to utilise social media properly. Complete gross overuse of the hashtag #WeMissedYou, which was too cheesy to be used to begin with, a one way twitter stream, lots of pointless psuedo-instagramness, it's an amalgamation of useless rubbish. Sometimes I look at some organisations appraoch to social media and facepalm so hard. It's like they don't understand the "social" component. Do I want to end my own tweets with some cheesey rubbish hashtag? No thanks, I'm a human being with at least a shred of dignity.

Fire the idiot.

I am sure there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for the Enstone PR debacle. One like they are still using the team of 10-year-olds that Bahahahar cheaply assembled to do that job.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Fire the idiot.

Rubbish, no-one's making you tweet things, that's entirely down to you. Lotus' twitter feed might be a bit cringeworthy but it's definitely one of the better ones in the F1 paddock. The vast majority are just bland, putting out stuff everyone already knows and constantly name-dropping sponsors and the like. Marussia's isn't bad but it's not as lively as it used to be, maybe that will change as the season gets going. The whole point of social media is interaction, it's the best opportunity any ordinary bloke has ever had to interact on a personal level with members of an F1 team, and that's how I measure the success of the different teams' usage of social media. You can knock Lotus' efforts, but ultimately they are one of the best at interacting with fans, answering questions, etc. And what's best about it is their light-heartedness. Too often the F1 paddock is criticised for being up-tight and closed-off from the public, so an outlet like this is exactly what's needed.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

AndreaModa wrote:

Fire the idiot.

Rubbish, no-one's making you tweet things, that's entirely down to you. Lotus' twitter feed might be a bit cringeworthy but it's definitely one of the better ones in the F1 paddock. The vast majority are just bland, putting out stuff everyone already knows and constantly name-dropping sponsors and the like. Marussia's isn't bad but it's not as lively as it used to be, maybe that will change as the season gets going. The whole point of social media is interaction, it's the best opportunity any ordinary bloke has ever had to interact on a personal level with members of an F1 team, and that's how I measure the success of the different teams' usage of social media. You can knock Lotus' efforts, but ultimately they are one of the best at interacting with fans, answering questions, etc. And what's best about it is their light-heartedness. Too often the F1 paddock is criticised for being up-tight and closed-off from the public, so an outlet like this is exactly what's needed.

The problem is it comes off all forced and corporate-like. Like the way they went over the top with the whole 'I know what I'm doing' thing. Yeah it was a funny little quip at the time, but they've just driven it into the ground.
Everything's great.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:The problem is it comes off all forced and corporate-like. Like the way they went over the top with the whole 'I know what I'm doing' thing. Yeah it was a funny little quip at the time, but they've just driven it into the ground.

New conspiracy theory: before the race, they told him to interrupt a radio message with "I know what I'm doing" at some point so they could market the phrase.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Maybe the bigwigs at Team Enstone are trying to cover up that PR meltdown that happened over a Sniff Petrol article with all of these slogans and crappy hashtags? :lol:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:The problem is it comes off all forced and corporate-like. Like the way they went over the top with the whole 'I know what I'm doing' thing. Yeah it was a funny little quip at the time, but they've just driven it into the ground.

Oh yeah I'm not arguing that, they went too far there and perhaps there needs to be some "reigning in" of that kind of thing, but ultimately they are lively and interacting with fans. In contrast look at the piss poor efforts from Toro Rosso - https://twitter.com/ToroRossoSpy who've managed a pathetic 8 tweets in the past 3 days! Most of the other teams can do better than that in less than an hour! Sauber used to be dire as well but they've upped their game more recently, so it's not just tweets of drivers' times and sponsor exposure. Teams need to demonstrate that they're able to access a large fanbase and retain them in order for companies to see the value in sponsoring the team. If you fail to capitalise on that, the lost revenue could be significant, especially when the overheads are so low. They just need to employ a young guy with a mobile device to go round taking some photos and writing messages. What's that for the year? Roughly £20k I suppose? Peanuts to any team really, especially when you consider the potential financial outcomes.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:New conspiracy theory: before the race, they told him to interrupt a radio message with "I know what I'm doing" at some point so they could market the phrase.

Since it gives me a chance at calling Räikkönen a gimmick, I am so standing up for that. :lol:
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

AndreaModa wrote:

Oh yeah I'm not arguing that, they went too far there and perhaps there needs to be some "reigning in" of that kind of thing, but ultimately they are lively and interacting with fans. In contrast look at the piss poor efforts from Toro Rosso - https://twitter.com/ToroRossoSpy who've managed a pathetic 8 tweets in the past 3 days! Most of the other teams can do better than that in less than an hour! Sauber used to be dire as well but they've upped their game more recently, so it's not just tweets of drivers' times and sponsor exposure. Teams need to demonstrate that they're able to access a large fanbase and retain them in order for companies to see the value in sponsoring the team. If you fail to capitalise on that, the lost revenue could be significant, especially when the overheads are so low. They just need to employ a young guy with a mobile device to go round taking some photos and writing messages. What's that for the year? Roughly £20k I suppose? Peanuts to any team really, especially when you consider the potential financial outcomes.

Yeah, but that's Toro Rosso. Nobody cares about Toro Rosso.

I do see your point, though - it's nice to see an F1 team engaging with the fans. I just wish they would stop being so blatantly corporate about it.
Everything's great.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Whitmarsh needs the sack and sooner the better for McLaren.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

DanielPT wrote:Whitmarsh needs the sack and sooner the better for McLaren.

Seconded.
Everything's great.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Was anybody else horrified at the news that little Charles Pics days in F1 may be numbered? The BBC commented on Kovy being a guest of Caterhams this weekend and the possibility of him replacing fuzzy head sooner rather than later.

Like a robbery in a multi-storey car-park, that is wrong on so many levels. Firstly, give the guy a chance, its the second race! Secondly, how mercenary is it to have the possible replacement hovering about the incumbent? Thats like your partner telling you that theres some handsome chap/chick visiting and if you dont buck your ideas up then they'll be staying an you'll be offski. Lastly, dont Caterham realise that Pic turned down a drive at MARUSSIA for them? Ungrateful b45t4rd5!
Just For One Day...
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

CoopsII wrote:Was anybody else horrified at the news that little Charles Pics days in F1 may be numbered? The BBC commented on Kovy being a guest of Caterhams this weekend and the possibility of him replacing fuzzy head sooner rather than later.

Like a robbery in a multi-storey car-park, that is wrong on so many levels. Firstly, give the guy a chance, its the second race! Secondly, how mercenary is it to have the possible replacement hovering about the incumbent? Thats like your partner telling you that theres some handsome chap/chick visiting and if you dont buck your ideas up then they'll be staying an you'll be offski. Lastly, dont Caterham realise that Pic turned down a drive at MARUSSIA for them? Ungrateful b45t4rd5!

To use a wrestling macro:

Don't believe everything you read. Media just saw Kovalainen visiting (he probably has some friends left in the team and, due to the nature of being unemployed, lots of time) and made some dirty story out of it for clicks and cash.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

CoopsII wrote:Was anybody else horrified at the news that little Charles Pics days in F1 may be numbered?

Yeah I thought that was harsh, especially since I think Charles Pic is pretty good, but I'm not too worried since I don't think it's that likely that he'll be replaced. However, if they do go ahead and give Pic the chop, I'm giving up on Caterham.
Everything's great.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Was anybody else horrified at the news that little Charles Pics days in F1 may be numbered?

Yeah I thought that was harsh, especially since I think Charles Pic is pretty good, but I'm not too worried since I don't think it's that likely that he'll be replaced. However, if they do go ahead and give Pic the chop, I'm giving up on Caterham.

While Klon is quite right in saying dont believe the media, if it happens then it displays staggering incompetence from the management to decide that, actually, experience is better than dollar-drivers when the season has only just begun.
Just For One Day...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I have jumped ship already tbh. Marussia looked a bit all over the place back in the Simtek days, but they're finally getting themselves together quite well. Meanwhile Caterham started out brightly and are now self-sabotaging themselves all the way to dead last in the championship. Forza Bianchi!

Image Image
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

If they're going to fire a driver, then get rid of VdeG. Pic is better and him, and Kovalainen would get you more money by hauling Caterham back into 10th.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Jenson Button running in 5th in a POS McLaren and managing to save the tires enough to possibly challenge the superior Mercedes is no where near a match to challenge the MIGHTY JULES BIANCHI who came 13th out of 16 beating the mighty Caterhams and Max Chilton, Bra-F'ing-VO.
Message me on Discord.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Shadaza wrote:Jenson Button running in 5th in a POS McLaren and managing to save the tires enough to possibly challenge the superior Mercedes is no where near a match to challenge the MIGHTY JULES BIANCHI who came 13th out of 16 beating the mighty Caterhams and Max Chilton, Bra-F'ing-VO.

Thus why I picked Marussia for my first IIDOTR instead of Bianchi. He's a good driver, but it's not his fault attrition brought him to 13th.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Shadaza wrote:Jenson Button running in 5th in a POS McLaren and managing to save the tires enough to possibly challenge the superior Mercedes is no where near a match to challenge the MIGHTY JULES BIANCHI who came 13th out of 16 beating the mighty Caterhams and Max Chilton, Bra-F'ing-VO.

It's F1 Rejects. What did you expect? Besides, I knew Button was that good.
Everything's great.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

The more I think about it there is no reason in me being here. I have managed to piss off pretty much the whole forum and it's not like I have contributed anything useful anyway. Not sure whether to leave the forum for a while or not.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

eurobrun wrote:The more I think about it there is no reason in me being here. I have managed to piss off pretty much the whole forum and it's not like I have contributed anything useful anyway. Not sure whether to leave the forum for a while or not.

No you haven't, I still think you're a cool guy. Don't beat yourself up over occasionally pissing people off; we all make mistakes. None of us hold it against you.
Everything's great.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

eurobrun wrote:The more I think about it there is no reason in me being here. I have managed to piss off pretty much the whole forum and it's not like I have contributed anything useful anyway. Not sure whether to leave the forum for a while or not.

No you haven't, I still think you're a cool guy. Don't beat yourself up over occasionally pissing people off; we all make mistakes. None of us hold it against you.

Haven't annoyed me at all yet either. Cheer up!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA