The 2013 Magical Monaco Grand Prix Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
kevinbotz

Re: The 2013 Magical Monaco Grand Prix Thread

Post by kevinbotz »

LellaLombardi wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:Perez was aggressive, yes, but for me it's only a racing incident. Kimi close the door in braking zone and this isn't the best thing to do, especially in monaco.

On the other hand, Perez's move was overly aggressive and few could've anticipated him to attempt such a desperate lunge from so far back.

I haven't yet seen the incident. But Kimi's reaction is way out of line.

I wouldn't say it's "way out of line". Perez's deranged maneuver nearly took Kimi out of the race outright, not to mention the heavy cost incurred upon Raikkonen's championship bid. Moreover, Perez denied all responsibility for the incident, shifting all of the blame to Raikkonen.

Any self-respecting racing driver would be utterly apoplectic.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

LellaLombardi wrote:
Kimi-ICE wrote:
Kimi-ICE wrote:Kimi's come out and lambasted Perez

Kimi Raikkonen: "It was a really disappointing day. Because of one stupid move from Sergio [Perez] we've lost a lot of points to Sebastian [Vettel] in the Championship and you can't afford to lose ground like that. He hit me from behind and that's about all there is to it. If he thinks it's my fault that he came into the corner too fast then he obviously has no idea what he's talking about.

"It's not the first time he's hit someone in the race; he seems to expect people to be always looking at what he might do, then move over or go straight on if he comes into the corner too quick and isn't going to make it without running into someone. Not the ideal weekend but there's nothing we can do about it. At least we got one point back at the end."

Scratch that read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22675026

:shock: Just as I was starting to develop a bit of respect for Raikkonen. It isn't right this time to put it down to "Kimi being Kimi". If any other driver said that they'd be in a lot of trouble.

To be fair Kimi always thrives when he is allowed to do what he wants and when he's not on a leash. This is why he never seemed to get on with Mclaren because Dennis still had a very influential part in the actual race team instead of the current road car business. This is also why he fell off the boil after winning the title in 2007 because Ferrari were just as Controlling and Political as Mclaren. Lotus however realized that if they gave him a bit more freedom he would thrive in their atmosphere. While it's worked so far i just feel as if Kimi now thinks he can get away with publicly lambasting other drivers for doing stuff to him without his team punishing him. If he had said something like this at Mclaren and Ferrari he would have been out the door
mario

Post by mario »

pi314159 wrote:
LellaLombardi wrote:
Kimi-ICE wrote:Scratch that read this:

:shock: Just as I was starting to develop a bit of respect for Raikkonen. It isn't right this time to put it down to "Kimi being Kimi". If any other driver said that they'd be in a lot of trouble.

I can understand that he is angry with Perez, but this comment has gone too far. Better do it like Graham Hill and send him a "learn to drive" manual.

It does seem unusually out of character for Kimi to say something like that, such that I find it a little hard to believe that Kimi did actually say that.

To be fair to him, I can see why he is angry with Perez - it has to be said that Perez's position on track meant that it was very unlikely he could have made the corner at a normal speed, and Perez has completely rebuffed all criticism of his move by saying that he feels Kimi should have given him room.
OK, Kimi's positioning on track certainly aggravated things as he was drifting across the track, but I can understand why he feels that Perez's move was not going to work and was reckless, and has probably lashed out with a comment that was made before he had time to consider is words more carefully. After all, Perez has nothing to lose by throwing his car around on track whereas Kimi has ended up 21 points behind Vettel when he probably would have only been 12 behind him.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: Stats and Facts-Monaco

Post by Ataxia »

No real need to start a new topic; I don't really think there's anything here that you couldn't have put in the regular race thread.

Perhaps this should be merged with said topic...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Alextrax52

Re: Stats and Facts-Monaco

Post by Alextrax52 »

Ataxia wrote:No real need to start a new topic; I don't really think there's anything here that you couldn't have put in the regular race thread.

Perhaps this should be merged with said topic...

Fair enough ;)
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

pi314159 wrote:
LellaLombardi wrote:
Kimi-ICE wrote:Scratch that read this:

I can understand that he is angry with Perez, but this comment has gone too far. Better do it like Graham Hill and send him a "learn to drive" manual.

First put the guy on the wall, then threaten to punch his lights out. Nice. Let's see if someone in the FIA has a chat with Raikkonen, calm him down a little.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
PT8475

Post by PT8475 »

Don't think Mercedes have actually solved their tyres - Vettel's fast lap at the end was evidence enough for that - they just slowed the entire field down to their pace, which bunched them up and caused all the incidents.

Pérez was aggressive with Button, careless with Alonso and foolish with Räikkönen. Kimi could have missed the chicane, but its still Sergio's fault.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

PT8475 wrote:Don't think Mercedes have actually solved their tyres - Vettel's fast lap at the end was evidence enough for that - they just slowed the entire field down to their pace, which bunched them up and caused all the incidents.

Well, if it leads to excitement and madhouse racing, then I'm all for it :P
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
girry

Post by girry »

'No other driver would have gotten away with it'....how about Webber at Suzuka last season?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRF-ED8RGI

Also notice the slight grin. He wasn't exactly serious I think.
when you're dead people start listening
johnnyCarwash

Post by johnnyCarwash »

PT8475 wrote:Don't think Mercedes have actually solved their tyres - Vettel's fast lap at the end was evidence enough for that - they just slowed the entire field down to their pace, which bunched them up and caused all the incidents.

To be fair this is the only circuit on the calendar that Mercedes could get away with not being as quick as other cars. Plus bunching up the field made for an interesting race, either with successful overtakes or stupid incidents. A strung out race at Monaco would have been a snoozefest no doubt.
The ChiltonCraze at the British Grand Prix
FIA driver press conference announcer wrote:On pole position for his home grand prix for the first time, Max Chilton
PT8475

Post by PT8475 »

johnnyCarwash wrote:

To be fair this is the only circuit on the calendar that Mercedes could get away with not being as quick as other cars. Plus bunching up the field made for an interesting race, either with successful overtakes or stupid incidents. A strung out race at Monaco would have been a snoozefest no doubt.

Oh, I agree, but when I see all the pundits saying Mercedes have "fixed" their problems, I cringe a little. Canada will be as bad (or worse, going by its reputation) as Spain for them.
Zetec

Post by Zetec »

PT8475 wrote:Oh, I agree, but when I see all the pundits saying Mercedes have "fixed" their problems, I cringe a little. Canada will be as bad (or worse, going by its reputation) as Spain for them.

If you look at the first few laps, Mercedes, especially Hamilton, really struggled to stay in front of the RedBulls. On a circuit with overtake opportunities, Hamiltion would have dropped back like he did in Spain I suppose. But it was strange, that after a few laps Hamiltion was able to boost his pace (or maybe Vettel was just giving chasing him to save his tyres).
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Some thoughts:

* Button was being manhandled for most of the afternoon.
* How much parts money did Grosjean use up during the weekend? For both Lotus and Toro Rosso?
* Kimi keeps his points scoring streak alive, quite impressive.

* GvdG posted the fastest lap of the race on lap 6. :lol:
* GvdG had the 17th fastest lap of the race in the end. Faster than both Williams drivers, Grosjean, Bianchi and Pic. Only 0.43s behind Massa.
* I just loved Perez' and Sutil's unconventional overtakes. Sutil's better, because his actually worked out in the end.

* I was very relieved when Maldonado emerged unscathed. It was scary seeing the first images of the crash,
for a moment I actually feared the worst.

Where was all the people on the balconies at the exit of Loews?
There were like ten empty balconies out of twelve! Even if they're not at home, I would have rented it out or something.
It surely must be a goldmine, It's one of the best places in the world to be at when it's race time!
I looked at previous years and it seems to be just as empty each race. I've just never noticed it before.
In 2010 all twelve balconies stood empty during the race!
I wonder what gives? What kind of building is it? Flats or offices or what?

And where was the grandstand at the chicane out of the tunnel? Has it been moved? I didn't see it.

This used to be there before:
-*:-
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

In answer to your final thought, that new eyesore that's been built after the tunnel exit may have something to do with the grandstand being removed. A shame really, that was a good spot to watch the race.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Divina_Galica

Post by Divina_Galica »

AdrianSutil wrote:In answer to your final thought, that new eyesore that's been built after the tunnel exit may have something to do with the grandstand being removed. A shame really, that was a good spot to watch the race.

...Monte Carlo Yacht Club?

DG
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Here's a (completely non-serious) theory. Maybe the accident actually was Kimi's fault, and he just wanted an excuse to avoid having to defend from Sutil, knowing their history together.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

My suspicion as to why the grandstand has been removed is for better access for emergency vehicles. With General public allowed on the stand they have to put a barrier across to prevent people from getting to the track, now with no stand there is no barrier and recovery crews can get straight to the track.

Perhaps this has been changed because of the Perez accident a few years ago?
Message me on Discord.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Shadaza wrote:My suspicion as to why the grandstand has been removed is for better access for emergency vehicles. With General public allowed on the stand they have to put a barrier across to prevent people from getting to the track, now with no stand there is no barrier and recovery crews can get straight to the track.

Perhaps this has been changed because of the Perez accident a few years ago?

Could also be something to do with Conor Daly's GP3 accident a couple(?) of years ago - imagine what could happen if a car were to fly into the grandstand structure at 150mph+?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

As Ataxia suggested i should put the stats and facts in this thread and here they are

First German 1-2 since Michael and Ralf Schumacher in Japan 2004
First time 2 Germans have been on the podium since Malaysia 2011 when Vettel was 1st and Heidfeld was 3rd
Rosberg's win was the first for a non-world champion since Webber at Silverstone last year
Red Bulls first double podium that wasn't a win since Great Britain 2011 when Vettel and Webber were 2nd and 3rd again
And i as mentioned earlier First time Vettel stood on the podium listening to the German national anthem having not won the race
Mclaren have not scored a podium this season yet which has now on a 6 race streak. Their previous longest was 9 races in 2009 and 10 in 2004. I doubt they'll break their longest streak though which currently stands at 34 races between Brazil 1979 and Monaco 1981.
Williams have made their worst start to a season ever with no points in 6 races. Their previous worst start was no points in 5 races in 2011. Their current longest pointless streak is 10 races between Spain and Italy in 2006 (1977 doesn't count)

Spotted anymore stats from Monaco?
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

ImageImage
Could it be that there was a grandstand there some time during the weekend, and that during the red flag, aliens abducted all the people and the entire grandstand itself into space? It does seem likely. If there were video footage of some anomaly, FOM has surely already either deleted or altered it. And all we have seen is this empty space with emergency vehicles throughout the week. Anyone with evidence proving otherwise has probably been assasinated by now.
That triangle where the grandstand should be has almost the same proportions as the Bermuda Triangle.
And we all know what goes on there. A number of aircraft and ships are said to have disappeared under mysterious circumstances in that region.

Are we now beginning to see this same phenomenon in southern Europe?

In fact, the top of the Bermuda Triangle is exactly on the same latitude as Monte Carlo, Monaco. And the exact same triangle, only smaller, can be drawn just outside the coast of Monaco in the Ligurian Sea.

This photo was taken yesterday in Monaco, just outside the Ferrari motorhome (!).
What the hell are they doing? What are they planning?
Are Bernie and Todt offering Formula 1 fans as guinea pigs to aliens?
Are more grandstands going to vanish into thin air this season with people still in them?
Are the Illuminati also in on this? Are they in fact controlling Ecclestone and Todt?
-*:-
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

He's a crazy, mixed-up kid, that Jocke1. But I like him.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Could we have a new Ferrari driver in the future

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107732
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Jocke1 is like my long lost brother/sister. i luv u m8

Anyway, I thought the race was good, thoroughly enjoyed it. Incident and drama packed throughout the whole weekend. As for the Perez/Raikkonen incident, I don't think Perez is totally at fault. Kimi left him no space and either didn't see him or turned in way too early. It was a rather silly accident and both were at fault in my view.
mario

Post by mario »

Kimi-ICE wrote:Could we have a new Ferrari driver in the future

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107732

Shouldn't this be in another thread, strictly speaking, since this isn't related to the Monaco GP?

Anyway, for what it is worth I suppose that Kamui may well be made an official reserve driver for Ferrari - he has a fairly decent amount of recent experience in the sport, has shown that he was able to tone down his aggression in recent years and is pretty consistent and is young enough to have a fairly lengthy career with the team.
The experience would certainly help given Ferrari's conservative attitude towards hiring drivers - they would be unlikely to use a driver from their Young Driver program as a replacement, were the need to arise, especially since only two of those drivers are eligible for super licences anyway (Bianchi, which is obvious given he is driving for Marussia, and Marciello, thanks to his experience in the European F3 Championship).

Actually, Jocke1's light hearted post reminds me of something given that he mentioned Todt - the fact that, according to Sky, Todt left the GP before the race was over (although I imagine that he does have other duties to attend to, it does seem a touch rude to walk out of the event at about half distance).
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Mexicola wrote:Jocke1 is like my long lost brother/sister. i luv u m8

Anyway, I thought the race was good, thoroughly enjoyed it. Incident and drama packed throughout the whole weekend. As for the Perez/Raikkonen incident, I don't think Perez is totally at fault. Kimi left him no space and either didn't see him or turned in way too early. It was a rather silly accident and both were at fault in my view.

Hmmn, I sense a new feature here on F1Rejects

What if a forum member was my sibling?

:lol:
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Ataxia wrote:He's a crazy, mixed-up kid, that Jocke1. But I like him.

Same here. Although I think Jocke1 was being light-hearted and trying to joke around.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Jocke1 wrote:Are Wurzalso in on this? Are they in fact controlling Ecclestone and Todt?

Fixed that for you. :twisted:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

CoopsII wrote:I hope we havent jinxed RG now because if he causes carbon-fibre carnage on Sunday we're going to look quite silly.

:oops:
Just For One Day...
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

According to Autosport, a suspension failure has caused Massas crash:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107735
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

pi314159 wrote:According to Autosport, a suspension failure has caused Massas crash:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107735

Have to say, when i saw it, it didn't exactly look driver error entirely, especially given he made the same mistake (?) on Saturday FP.

Have to say, hes achieved cult status on this forum :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:

Have to say, hes achieved cult status on this forum :P

I know, it hasn't took him long either.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I was wondering: Were Vettel and Webber "too fast" in the lap that first safety car entered and because this, they overtaken hamilton?
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
mario

Post by mario »

Dj_bereta wrote:I was wondering: Were Vettel and Webber "too fast" in the lap that first safety car entered and because this, they overtaken hamilton?

No, they went at the permitted speed as far as I can tell (the only driver who did speed under that safety car was Kimi - he went two seconds quicker than he should have but got away with just a formal warning). Hamilton backed off by about 8 seconds in order to give the team time to service Rosberg and to bring out his tyres for his stop - by his own admission, he misjudged how much time he would need to give the team and backed off too much (he only needed to back off by about four seconds), creating enough of a gap to allow both Red Bull drivers to pass him in those pit stops.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Kimi-ICE wrote:As Ataxia suggested i should put the stats and facts in this thread and here they are

First time 2 Germans have been on the podium since Malaysia 2011 when Vettel was 1st and Heidfeld was 3rd
Rosberg's win was the first for a non-world champion since Webber at Silverstone last year
Red Bulls first double podium that wasn't a win since Great Britain 2011 when Vettel and Webber were 2nd and 3rd again
And i as mentioned earlier First time Vettel stood on the podium listening to the German national anthem having not won the race
Mclaren have not scored a podium this season yet which has now on a 6 race streak. Their previous longest was 9 races in 2009 and 10 in 2004. I doubt they'll break their longest streak though which currently stands at 34 races between Brazil 1979 and Monaco 1981.
Williams have made their worst start to a season ever with no points in 6 races. Their previous worst start was no points in 5 races in 2011. Their current longest pointless streak is 10 races between Spain and Italy in 2006 (1977 doesn't count)

First son of a former Monaco winner to win at Monaco.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
PT8475

Post by PT8475 »

DOSBoot wrote:
Kimi-ICE wrote:As Ataxia suggested i should put the stats and facts in this thread and here they are

First son of a former Monaco winner to win at Monaco.

And first son of a former world champion to win at Monaco, I believe, as Damon broke down in 1996.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Yeah, Damon came close to wining it a couple of times, but sadly missed out.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

DOSBoot wrote:Yeah, Damon came close to wining it a couple of times, but sadly missed out.

I think by his own admission it was one of the only things he didn't achieve in F1 that he'd wanted to.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

go_Rubens wrote:

Same here. Although I think Jocke1 was being light-hearted and trying to joke around.

I'm just waiting for someone to pick up the reference...
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Ataxia wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

I'm just waiting for someone to pick up the reference...

He's a crazy, mixed-up kid, that Werner, but I like him.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

http://www.nme.com/photos/daft-punk-wat ... 308404/1/1
Rumours that Raikkonnen will be wearing a Daft Punk-esque helmet when out of the cockpit in future races have yet to be confirmed.
Just For One Day...