Rantbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dr-baker

Re: Rantbox

Post by dr-baker »

Salamander wrote:
eurobrun wrote:There was nothing wrong with FMecha's thread, I think we should have used that. I do not agree with deserving the right to create threads.

And again, I don't care. If you can't accept my reasons then tough.

That's rather arrogant, don't ya think? Surely if people who don't watch V8 Supercars want to post, they should be permitted to? Nobody is requiring you to post immediately, and there will always be the possibility for you to post there after the end of the V8 season?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I found another reason why modern F1 sucks: the lack of new podium finishers. There were none in either 2009, 2010 or 2013 and there was just one in 2011. No wonder 2012 is considered a classic season, with 4.

New podium finishers between 2004-8: 13
New podium finishers between 2009-13: 5

Furthermore, between Singapore 2009 and Malaysia 2012, the same 5 drivers won the race (Vettel, Webber, Alonso, Hamilton, Button).
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

good_Ralf wrote:I found another reason why modern F1 sucks: the lack of new podium finishers. There were none in either 2009, 2010 or 2013

Chilton finished on the podium....in spirit. And in our hearts.
-*:-
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

eurobrun wrote:There was nothing wrong with FMecha's thread, I think we should have used that. I do not agree with deserving the right to create threads.

Well, Salamander wanted to introduce a couple of new awards, that's why I prefer a new thread. The idea was good, but it wasn't well organized. And FMecha's thread was created a bit early.

However, I agree with dr-baker that it would be good to start voting now, and those who want to wait until the end of the V8 season can do so. I think the end of the F1 season is the point of the year when most people are interested in the awards.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

pi314159 wrote:

Well, Salamander wanted to introduce a couple of new awards, that's why I prefer a new thread. The idea was good, but it wasn't well organized. And FMecha's thread was created a bit early.

However, I agree with dr-baker that it would be good to start voting now, and those who want to wait until the end of the V8 season can do so. I think the end of the F1 season is the point of the year when most people are interested in the awards.

Agreed. The awards are only a bit of fun, and if those who want to vote in the V8 categories want to withhold their votes until then, then that's fine. There's nothing to stop people getting theirs in now, they all get added up on the same date anyway.

Perhaps we should allow for members to post a maximum of two different nominations whilst the voting is still open, but under the condition that only the SECOND post would count as that member's votes. This would allow for those who change their mind whilst the voting is open, and for those who are still waiting for other series to finish. I don't know, just a thought.

As for the 'rights to reserve threads' debate, the whole thing does not revolve around Salamander DESERVING the right to create the thread. He doesn't deserve that, of course we're all equal. It's just that he had a few very good ideas for the awards, and asked if he could be given permission to open the thread himself to implement them. As for Race Threads, calling dibs on those is silly. What if the member has called dibs is not around to open the thread, and everyone is left twiddling their thumbs? Besides, there wouldn't be talk of that if people understood the 'rules' regarding trace thread creation - not too early in the week except in cases of BIG news, etc, etc.

If there ever comes a time when one member needs to open certain threads, the permission should only be granted if the majority of the forum approve, otherwise everyone will declare themselves the 'owner' of this thread and that thread and there'd be chaos.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

I remember when Captain Hammer got really angsty about opening the ROTR threads.

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

shinji wrote:I remember when Captain Hammer got really angsty about opening the ROTR threads.

You realaise he hasn't been here since 23rd April this year?! :shock:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

My rant: We don't need a million and one award categories for the forum awards. It's not the bleedin' Emmys.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

watka wrote:My rant: We don't need a million and one award categories for the forum awards. It's not the bleedin' Emmys.

:lol:

This forum encapsulates human nature in a nut-shell; having gone through the pain of agreeing not to fight about Vettel/Red Bull we're now fighting over this :lol:
Just For One Day...
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

dr-baker wrote:
shinji wrote:I remember when Captain Hammer got really angsty about opening the ROTR threads.

This thread shows why calling dibs on opening threads doesn't work. ;)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

FMecha wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

This thread shows why calling dibs on opening threads doesn't work. ;)

That was within 1 month of the forums existing! The Captain was certainly trying to get his 'foot in the door' early on ...
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Joe Saward just wrote a great piece about budget caps in Formula One. I fully agree with everything in that post!

With that said I don't recommend starting the budget cap too low but gently working the cap down as the years go on.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Ever wondered if you could think of a sentence that summarises everything wrong in F1? Well, think no more...

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/11/28/f1-opus-bernie-edition-book-has-1m-price-tag/
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:Ever wondered if you could think of a sentence that summarises everything wrong in F1? Well, think no more...

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/11/28/f1-opus-bernie-edition-book-has-1m-price-tag/

If you've got that sort of money (I havent) and live that sort of lifestyle its probably quite reasonable. Id imagine the sort of punter who'd fork out for this probably wont be sitting down and reading the book on the toilet, if at all, but they will enjoy all the extras.

The only question is who do you get to have dinner with if Bernie snuffs it or ends up behind bars before the end of the season?
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
DanielPT wrote:Ever wondered if you could think of a sentence that summarises everything wrong in F1? Well, think no more...

If you've got that sort of money (I havent) and live that sort of lifestyle its probably quite reasonable. Id imagine the sort of punter who'd fork out for this probably wont be sitting down and reading the book on the toilet, if at all, but they will enjoy all the extras.

The only question is who do you get to have dinner with if Bernie snuffs it or ends up behind bars before the end of the season?

It is still a book though...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

On the homepage of Autosport I saw the words "Baumgartner to contest RoC". It was about Felix. Not happy now. :evil:
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I heard HW is doing the catering...
-*:-
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

andrew2209 wrote:On the homepage of Autosport I saw the words "Baumgartner to contest RoC". It was about Felix. Not happy now. :evil:

I too expressed disappointment at that.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:
andrew2209 wrote:On the homepage of Autosport I saw the words "Baumgartner to contest RoC". It was about Felix. Not happy now. :evil:

Apparently its a balls-up with the paperwork and while you may be unhappy about Felix driving in the ROC spare a thought for young Zsolt who's currently about to be thrown out a hot-air balloon at 120000ft whether he likes it or not.
Just For One Day...
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Apparently its a balls-up with the paperwork and while you may be unhappy about Felix driving in the ROC spare a thought for young Zsolt who's currently about to be thrown out a hot-air balloon at 120000ft whether he likes it or not.

Now that's something I'd watch.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Apparently its a balls-up with the paperwork and while you may be unhappy about Felix driving in the ROC spare a thought for young HWNSNBM who's currently about to be thrown out a hot-air balloon at 120000ft whether he likes it or not.

You can say his surname in isolation without fear, but not his first name. However, as its only his first name I believe the general rule is that you get hit with a flaming raisin rather than a flaming papaya.

Then again, who am I to say? He's flippin' HWNSNBM and he does what he wants.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

With the season review coming up shortly, I will be very, very disappointed if Max Chilton isn't comfortably within the top 10/11/12 of the driver rankings. :evil: :evil: :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

East Londoner wrote:With the season review coming up shortly, I will be very, very disappointed if Max Chilton isn't comfortably within the top 10/11/12 of the driver rankings. :evil: :evil: :P

Why are you so worried when it's obvious he was the best driver this season? It's a shame the Marussia was too far off the pace to let a driver stand out, otherwise he would have a seat at Mercedes or McLaren next season.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Did anyone get the 2014 F1 calendar?
I don't know how Pastor Maldonado got a page and Sergio Perez didn't! Makes no sense...

They also put in Jean-Eric Vergne instead of Daniel Ricciardo...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Aerospeed wrote:They also put in Jean-Eric Vergne instead of Daniel Ricciardo...

...Red Bull should have taken a leaf out of that calendar's...erm, book.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Ataxia wrote:
Aerospeed wrote:They also put in Jean-Eric Vergne instead of Daniel Ricciardo...

I legitimately can't remember seeing Vernge do anything in F1 this year, I knew he was there but I cannot recall one notable moment he had in 2013.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

eurobrun wrote:I legitimately can't remember seeing Vernge do anything in F1 this year, I knew he was there but I cannot recall one notable moment he had in 2013.

He gave STR their first top-6 finish in 5 years but otherwise, not much.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
girry

Post by girry »

Vergne was giving Ricciardo a beating until Webber announced there would be a Red Bull seat up for grabs. JEV didn't score a single point after the announcement.

(Probably Enoch's article on him being the #1 candidate for the seat affected too.)
when you're dead people start listening
RonDenisDeletraz

I hate how certain members can't seem to accept it when people have different opinions to their own. Everyone is entitled to their own point of view and people shouldn't criticize each other just because they do not agree

[/rant]
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

eurobrun wrote:I hate how certain members can't seem to accept it when people have different opinions to their own. Everyone is entitled to their own point of view and people shouldn't criticize each other just because they do not agree

[/rant]

But opinions are made to be criticised. It's a fact of life mate. I mean, wouldn't it be boring if we all just got along and agreed with each other? :lol:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

East Londoner wrote:
eurobrun wrote:I hate how certain members can't seem to accept it when people have different opinions to their own. Everyone is entitled to their own point of view and people shouldn't criticize each other just because they do not agree

[/rant]

But opinions are made to be criticised. It's a fact of life mate. I mean, wouldn't it be boring if we all just got along and agreed with each other? :lol:

Some things don't seem to change around here...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

There is a difference between having a discussion and having an argument. It's easier to tell the difference face-to-face than online, where you don't have body language or tone-of-voice. But a discussion of various opinions and perspectives is fine and acceptable, arguments less so.
MCard LOLA
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

dr-baker wrote:There is a difference between having a discussion and having an argument. It's easier to tell the difference face-to-face than online, where you don't have body language or tone-of-voice. But a discussion of various opinions and perspectives is fine and acceptable, arguments less so.

Good point well presented. Sarcasm or opinionated comments can be so easily mistaken on this forum, which in turn leads to the silly spats we see now and again. A case in point is the moments between Eurobrun and Stramala. IM NOT SUGGESTING EITHER MEMBER IS WORNG SO PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF HWNSNBM, DON'T START NIT-PICKING!!!!1!1!1! They're just two members that rub each other up the wrong way.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

East Londoner wrote:

[/rant]

Exactly, that's just reality. Honestly, it's kind of arrogant to expect everyone to just accept your opinion and never criticise it.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Instead of wanting other people to respect your opinions, you just have to not care about what they think of them. 8)
Trump 2016
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Ataxia wrote:

What month in JEV on? Will be interesting to see if Toro Rosso throw him out before then as they are infamous for doing.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

watka wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

What month in JEV on? Will be interesting to see if Toro Rosso throw him out before then as they are infamous for doing.

June.

It's not out of the realms of possibility. :P
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
RonDenisDeletraz

Dark77 wrote:Instead of wanting other people to respect your opinions, you just have to not care about what they think of them. 8)

I could not disagree more with this. The most important thing in life is what other people think of you. As much as people try to deny it, someone is a worthless prick if nobody else respects them.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

eurobrun wrote:
Dark77 wrote:Instead of wanting other people to respect your opinions, you just have to not care about what they think of them. 8)

I could not disagree more with this. The most important thing in life is what other people think of you. As much as people try to deny it, someone is a worthless prick if nobody else respects them.

Vincent van Gogh. Your argument is invalid.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
RonDenisDeletraz

Salamander wrote:
eurobrun wrote:

Vincent van Gogh. Your argument is invalid.

Life isn't worth living if you are not respected by anyone. In hindsight van Gogh's career is appreciated but it was a different story back then