The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The HRT thread

Post by DanielPT »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90015

Hopes are high at HRT!

Karthikayan wrote:For a new and unproven car such as ours, I think that reliability is something we need to work on before we can start to extract the maximum performance, so I believe that if both cars finish the race, we will have had a satisfying weekend.

Liuzzi wrote:If both cars make it to the chequered flag at the end with good pace and reliability then the weekend will have been a great success.

What they should have said:

Karthikayan wrote:For a new and unproven car such as ours, I think that reliability is something we need to work on before we can start to extract the maximum performance, so I believe that if both cars start the race, we will have had a satisfying weekend.

Liuzzi wrote:If both cars make it to the starting grid with some pace and reliability then the weekend will have been a great success.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
WIDD

Post by WIDD »

To be honest, I'd be inclined to agree. The best they can really hope for is to be within 107%, anything more than that is a bonus given theres rumours than Red Bull have been sandbagging majorly (if BBC's F1 Blogs are to be believed anyway!)
Murray: "This could give Mika Hakkinen his opportunity to get past Ralf Schumacher, as Nigel Mansell did to Senna in 1959."
Martin: "I was born in 1959; I think it was a touch later than that, Murray!"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/03/18/kolles-hoping-reliability-untested-car/
Kolles hopes for reliability from an untested car? And I'm hoping to win the Monaco Grand Prix despite never driving a car in my life.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/03/18/kolles-hoping-reliability-untested-car/
Kolles hopes for reliability from an untested car? And I'm hoping to win the Monaco Grand Prix despite never driving a car in my life.

Given that the car is going to be off even its own limited potential, due to a lack of testing time (because there does actually seem to be a fair number of new parts beneath the skin of the car over its predecessor), punctuality is about all he can hope for.
Besides, we know that races at Albert Part tend to have high attrition rates - it's where HRT got their best finish last year, and that was the finish that helped give HRT their 11th place over Virgin Racing. Just surviving until the end of the race may leave you in a surprisingly good position, particularly given that the T128 and MVR-02 have had their problems in testing (particularly the former - this year, Virgin Racing have racked up more mileage in testing with the MVR-02 through better reliability).

Of course, whilst the team may trust to luck and attrition for a decent finish, they need to make it onto the grid in the first place. As WIDD says, there are those who suspect that the RB7 may have a lot of untapped potential in reserve, and the F150 isn't looking too shabby over a short stint either. And in Bahrain, if you apply were to apply the 107% rule during Q1, as will be applied here, Chandhok would have DNQ'd - his time was outside of 107% (not by much, but by enough), and, of course, with their problems in practise his best times were also well off what he'd have needed to qualify.

So, will HRT fail to qualify? I think that it is possible, because they are behind where even they expected to be, that one of the two drivers might DNQ. Out of the two, I suspect that Karthikeyan must be the most vulnerable; he is out of practise, after all.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

mario wrote:Of course, whilst the team may trust to luck and attrition for a decent finish, they need to make it onto the grid in the first place. As WIDD says, there are those who suspect that the RB7 may have a lot of untapped potential in reserve, and the F150 isn't looking too shabby over a short stint either. And in Bahrain, if you apply were to apply the 107% rule during Q1, as will be applied here, Chandhok would have DNQ'd - his time was outside of 107% (not by much, but by enough), and, of course, with their problems in practise his best times were also well off what he'd have needed to qualify.

So, will HRT fail to qualify? I think that it is possible, because they are behind where even they expected to be, that one of the two drivers might DNQ. Out of the two, I suspect that Karthikeyan must be the most vulnerable; he is out of practise, after all.

Exactly. Somebody give mario a beer.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
mario wrote:Of course, whilst the team may trust to luck and attrition for a decent finish, they need to make it onto the grid in the first place. As WIDD says, there are those who suspect that the RB7 may have a lot of untapped potential in reserve, and the F150 isn't looking too shabby over a short stint either. And in Bahrain, if you apply were to apply the 107% rule during Q1, as will be applied here, Chandhok would have DNQ'd - his time was outside of 107% (not by much, but by enough), and, of course, with their problems in practise his best times were also well off what he'd have needed to qualify.

While I agree that in the short run, Karthikeyan with no testing and no F1 experience for four(? When did he last test for Williams?) years looks very likely for a DNQ, in the longer term HRT should be reletively safe, they were just about inside 107% for most of last year, and should have closed the gap. The top teams have lost speed on the new Pirellis, but the likes of Lotus and Virgin have improved in absolute terms, if the new HRT (on Pirellis) is as "fast" as the old one (on Bridgestones) then even Karthikeyan should qualify.

Wouldn't hope for much more though.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

mario wrote: As WIDD says, there are those who suspect that the RB7 may have a lot of untapped potential in reserve, and the F150 isn't looking too shabby over a short stint either. And in Bahrain, if you apply were to apply the 107% rule during Q1.

Do you want to get demanded by Ford Motor Co.?

Considering how fast the RB7 is probably going to be I suspect a DNQ could be on the cards for HRT, maybe not at Melbourne, but maybe at Sepang or Shanghai. And I'd watch out for d'Ambrosio too, that MVR-02 doesn't look very good either.
mario

Post by mario »

Phoenix wrote:
mario wrote: As WIDD says, there are those who suspect that the RB7 may have a lot of untapped potential in reserve, and the F150 isn't looking too shabby over a short stint either. And in Bahrain, if you apply were to apply the 107% rule during Q1.

Do you want to get demanded by Ford Motor Co.?

Considering how fast the RB7 is probably going to be I suspect a DNQ could be on the cards for HRT, maybe not at Melbourne, but maybe at Sepang or Shanghai. And I'd watch out for d'Ambrosio too, that MVR-02 doesn't look very good either.

Fair enough, although the car has been through so many name changes that it is less confusing to refer to the original, albeit disputed, name. And at least it is considerably more courteous than the way that the Top Gear production team referred to the Ford Motor Company...

Although I agree that there is a chance of HRT failing to qualify in Sepang or Shanghai, I would have thought that it would be most likely to occur at the very start of the season. The further into the season, the greater the mileage that HRT will have, so they will be able to optimise their set up work, if nothing else (which was why they were closing the gap to Team Lotus and Virgin Racing at one point).
To put it onto perspective, a full race distance of 58 laps at Albert Park is just over 307.5km - so, if you have two cars achieve that distance, along with racking up about 30 laps each during practise (a cautious estimate, assuming 10 laps per practise session), plus a handful of laps during qualifying, I reckon that they'd be approaching nearly 1000km of running, which would already put you well on the path of understanding your car.
After all, last year in Melbourne, were the 107% rule applied, HRT would barely have got both cars onto the grid (they'd be under two tenths off a double DNQ), and there they'd managed to rack up a fair few laps in practise beforehand, as well as the practise running in Bahrain.

And you're right that d'Ambrosio can't rest easily either - Hulkenberg was watching the 2011 cars in Barcelona, and thought that the MVR-02 looked like a very difficult car to drive. It seems to have marginally better reliability than the T128, which was having quite a few problems with the cooling system in testing, but a lack of downforce, as Hulkenberg reported that it was sliding around quite a lot on track.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I just thought that both HRTs might qualify at Albert Park because it's a bit more unconventional circuit than Sepang and Shanghai. But you don't know what will HRT have in store...
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

CarlosFerreira wrote:

Actually, don't. We've already subconsciously given him more beer than a man could humanly drink in his entire life, it would be purely irresponsable to give him another. :D
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tommykl wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

Actually, don't. We've already subconsciously given him more beer than a man could humanly drink in his entire life, it would be purely irresponsable to give him another. :D

How about a shandy then?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

dr-baker wrote:
tommykl wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:Exactly. Somebody give mario a beer.

How about a shandy then?

Much better.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Hey mario, no beer for you. Sorry, we're just being your friends.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Hey mario, no beer for you. Sorry, we're just being your friends.

Beer for me instead! I turn 21 tomorrow!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

thehemogoblin wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:Hey mario, no beer for you. Sorry, we're just being your friends.

After tomorrow, then. I turn 30 next Friday...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:

After tomorrow, then. I turn 30 next Friday...

Bummer?
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

thehemogoblin wrote:Bummer?

Hey Hey My My.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
mario

Post by mario »

Well, I must say that I'm glad that you all have my welfare at heart, even if it's meant that the mountain of toasts that had been made in my direction have vanished into a small shandy. [That said, normally I don't drink much beer anyway, so I don't really mind].
Speaking of toasts, may I (virtually) raise a glass to thehemogoblin ahead of his birthday - I'm going to be absent for a few days, so I wouldn't be able to do so tomorrow.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

thehemogoblin wrote:

And for me today - same day as Senna! :) I'm 20 today. That means that I legally can buy any sort of alcholoic beverage in Norway (Under 20% is 18yrs and over 20% is 20yrs) :)
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Myrvold wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:

And for me today - same day as Senna! :) I'm 20 today. That means that I legally can buy any sort of alcholoic beverage in Norway (Under 20% is 18yrs and over 20% is 20yrs) :)

Congratulations! You can now get drunk faster than before and, as such, forget those boring races in a fraction of beer time!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

Myrvold wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:

Wow that seems a bit unnecessarily complex. Although with the binge drinking situation we have in the UK were not the right people to judge these things :lol:
S951

Post by S951 »

Just imagine the fun we'd be having if usf1 actually made it god that would of been reject overload
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
Peter

Post by Peter »

Been almost 2 months since I've been in here. My internet refuses to connect to F1 rejects, no matter the computer I use. Suggestions?

anyway, I'm optimistic. That HRT will do well. The car looks considerably better than the old car, the old car that was doing well in testing, often ahead of Lotus and Virgin, and the car spent almost all of 2010 within the 107%. Narain, as well as Tonio have done well, and I think Narain has gotten back in the F1 game. In Australia they might not do so well as the car hasn't been tested yet, but anything after, they will be challeiging Virgin at least, I'm sure.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Peter wrote:Been almost 2 months since I've been in here. My internet refuses to connect to F1 rejects, no matter the computer I use. Suggestions?

I blame the Indian hackers. Anyone else got any ideas?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Peter wrote:Been almost 2 months since I've been in here. My internet refuses to connect to F1 rejects, no matter the computer I use. Suggestions?

I blame FIA and Ferrari. Somehow, it must be their fault. :mrgreen:
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

DanielPT wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

Point taken. :lol:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

DanielPT wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

Helmut Marko will find some way to blame Webber.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Go home, Colin Kolles.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Phoenix wrote:Go home, Colin Kolles.

Yeah! :mrgreen:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

thehemogoblin wrote:

Happy birthday then! Forget beer, how does a bottle of absynth sounds? :D
MaxZero

Post by MaxZero »

http://old.motorsport.com/news/article. ... 2107&FS=F1

Apparently the engineers haven't been paid in two months leading to 5 resignations, and a big fib about the customs hold up

This sounds fantastically bad
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

thehemogoblin wrote:

Happy beer indeed! May the lager be with you! :D
patrick

Post by patrick »

MaxZero wrote:http://old.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=402107&FS=F1

Apparently the engineers haven't been paid in two months leading to 5 resignations, and a big fib about the customs hold up

The news coincides with rumours in Germany that Bernie Ecclestone is now getting involved with the team's survival.

Interesting, but why would he do that? I thought he wants less teams now. Although, I think he hates virgin more than HRT actually, he expected branson to throw a lot of money at it most likely...
MaxZero

Post by MaxZero »

don't rule out the possibility that he simply wants to speed up the collapse
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

:lol: This is like having Andrea Moda back with us!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

MaxZero wrote:don't rule out the possibility that he simply wants to speed up the collapse

If Mr. E keeps bailing them out, it gets hard for them to collapse. No, the only reason for him to help HRT occasionally is because he really is a LURKER OF THIS FORUM AND A PODCAST LISTENER! :o
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

With all these bad news, I bet they'll quit F1 if they fail to qualify three times.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

This sounds fantastically rejectful

Fixed.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
S951

Post by S951 »

this gets better and better
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Can someone explain to me how they managed to bid from the FIA back in 2009? USF1, as farcical as it was came with the false promise of bringing US interest to the sport. What did Campos bring to the table?
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power