Rejectwatch 2010

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
dr-baker

Re: Rejectwatch 2010

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Found the following Wikipedia article on the race: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Tooheys_1000

Never realised that is how Denny Hulme died...

If you look at his profile page, he was the first former world champion to die of natural causes.

Yeah, but didn't realise it was while driving in the middle of a race...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Here's the incident when he died. Of course it's almost impossible to know what happened just by seeing this, and the commentators didn't know either:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cqL6itiE_A
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Gotta keep this thread going, strayed off track with the whole NIssan/Bathurst/Hulme/Stoppage/Arseholes debacle, and It would have been nice if the Nascar drivers were put in this thread too...

...any more news anyone?
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Giovanna Amati is still alive at last check.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

thehemogoblin wrote:Giovanna Amati is still alive at last check.

Of course Ricardo Londono-Bridge is not. Something should probably be done about his profile when there's an opportunity.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Did he have a bridge named after him? arf arf
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

ADx_Wales wrote:Did he have a bridge named after him? arf arf

I do doubt that that was his actual name. 'Hi, my name is Edward Empire-StateBuilding. How do you do?''
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

shinji wrote:
ADx_Wales wrote:Did he have a bridge named after him? arf arf

I do doubt that that was his actual name. 'Hi, my name is Edward Empire-StateBuilding. How do you do?''

'Hi, my name is Wayne Bridge, please don't sleep with my ex again.'

EH WRONG SHINJI :D
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I think Jenson has nothing on a certain someone, this guy's got a town named after him.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

watka wrote:I think Jenson has nothing on a certain someone, this guy's got a town named after him.

If we all started buying houses there just because of the name, the whole world economy would probably recover because the premuims on housing would rise so sharply.

Image Image
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

watka wrote:I think Jenson has nothing on a certain someone, this guy's got a town named after him.

I believe that if Yuji signed a contract with a constructor that left F1 in the mid-nineties that relocated to that town, you'd have...

The Ides of March.
mario

Endurance Racing - Reject Heaven?

Post by mario »

Today, there were a few announcements about the line ups for Le Mans 2010, and there are quite a few interesting entries - and a few reject drivers lined up as well. Today, the announcement came through that Peugeot are intending to use the same line up as last year for car No. 3, which was Bourdais, Lamy and Minassian, whilst car No. 4 will have an altered line up, with Davidson joining Gene and Wurz. Interestingly, it turns out that one of the alternatives for the team had been none other then Sabastian Loeb - however, due to his commitments in the WRC, Peugeot decided that it would be better for Davidson to take his place. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81637

We also have the situation where a number of descendents of famous drivers will be racing - Marco Andretti has been announced as the third driver for the Rebellion team, alongside Jani and Nicolas Prost (and this is before we get to the Mansell's).
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81641

So, this could well be worth watching - if past years are anything to go by, we should see a brace of Reject drivers from the past.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DemocalypseNow

Re: Endurance Racing - Reject Heaven?

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Image Image
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

ah thats better :)
Last edited by ADx_Wales on 22 Feb 2010, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

ADx_Wales wrote:Its like nobody cares

Well Bathplug you then.

Image Image
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

WTCC
Gabriele Tarquini
Former AGS and Fondmetal man, now the defending WTCC champion, will race the #1 for the reduced Seat works effort (only 4 cars instead of 6). He is the only F1 reject from the official driver-list on fia-wtcc.com to be appearing at Curitiba next week.

Lucky bastard Tiago Montieiro (Jordan 05, Midland 06) will also be in a Leon Cupra TDI.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

FIA GT1 World Championship
Enrique Bernoldi
Amazingly, already a winner at this level - he won the Paul Ricard round of last year's FIA GT Championship alongside Roberto Streit in a Corvette. This year however he will contest the entire season for Matech Ford.
Just think about it...Bernoldi and Deletraz going head to head to become an FIA World Champion. Bet you didn't expect that 10 years ago!

Another name present this year is (Un)Lucky Bastard Karl Wendlinger, driving a Nissan GT-R for Swiss Racing Team, and doubtless more will eventually join once all the teams have announced their lineups.

Image Image
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I know it's not about him but If Ide got a village named after him, Birmingham should be renamed after Murray Walker.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

redbulljack14 wrote:I know it's not about him but If Ide got a village named after him, Birmingham should be renamed after Murray Walker.

Murray Walker has already 8 cities, three of them in California, several lakes and a river named after him. Don't ya think that's enough. I mean he's great, but...
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

redbulljack14 wrote:

I know it's not about him but If Ide got a village named after him, Birmingham should be renamed after Murray Walker.

I would so go to Dundalk if it was called Tommy Byrne, and had a statue in the centre.
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

Superstars Series

For those that dont know, the Italian based Superstars Series is almost (but not enough to be) the european version of V8 Supercars, all cars are production based (I think), and contains a majority of BMWs but lately has included some of the American hulks like the Chrysler 300C and the Chevrolet Lumina, F1 race winner Johnny Herbert is to take part in 2010, also the ex-Footwork and Minardi stalwart Gianni Morbidelli has been everpresent in this series since its inception, but thats not all!

Andrea Chiesa
Its an Italian series, you're bound to find at least one of the many Italians that failed to leave a victorious mark in the F1 history books (but this guy is swiss STOOPAHD, ed ) however the italian sounding name threw me, the ex-Fondmetal fondler will be competing in a Swiss Team Maserati.

Emanuele Naspetti
In one of the recognisible Merc C63s belonging to Rangoni Motorsport, Nas also has a troubled F1 past, also a troubled WTCC past as one of the outcasted Italian Supertourismo teams.

It would appear that the "superstars" paradigm is based on the cars being the superstars, not the drivers, I have not really heared of any of the other drivers in this series, or are they themselves "superstars" in Italy?
Last edited by ADx_Wales on 09 Mar 2010, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

FIA World Touring Car Championship: Round 1, Curitiba, Brazil

Gabriele Tarquni has qualified 5th for Race 1 of 2, wherever he finishes at the end of this race determines his position for race 2, if he finishes 8th or higher, he is involved in the "reversal" of the top 8 finishers for that grid (if Gabri finishes 8th he gets pole for race 2).

Points for each race will be the same as the new F1 points format, FIA take the F1 as the "standard" for each FIA series.

Race 1 is started behind the safety cars whatever happens, however it is raining on the circuit, its possible they could be starting after a few laps behind it.

Tarquini's results:
Race 1: Q5, Finished 4th
Race 2: Gridslot 5, Finished 1st

In race 2, two seperate collisions involving temorary pole-man Tom Coronel and former champion Andy Priaulx at the start, assisted the Italian's rise to 2nd after the start, and it wasnt long before Gab overtook Jordi Gene for the lead, Marc's brother kept Tarquini aware of his presense throught the race, but the italian kept his conentration right to the end, he and Jordi were a reasonable gap ahead of the rest of the pack, which included the 3 DAEWOO Cruzes which locked out the podium in race 1.

Thanks to the new points scoring system, Gabriele has 37 points after round 1, and is tied 1st with Yvan Muller who did the opposite of our Rejectful Italian (1st race 1, 4th in race 2).
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

How about staging a Big Brother type of TV show with former and up-and-coming racing drivers, involving a heavy schedule of kart races? How about Nelsinho joining DTM lady drivers Vanina Ickx and Katherine Legge, former Porsche Supercup star guest driver Haddaway, etc. etc.
Who else would you like to see in such a TV show?

By the way, Scott Speed is currently ranked 12th in NASCAR Sprint Cup, which would be enough to qualify for the so-called Chase, were it to start tomorrow. That's quite an achievement for a driver from outside the Top 35. He'll be a rainy day qualifier soon. Kudos to him and RBR.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

ADx_Wales wrote: which included the 3 DAEWOO Cruzes.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who flatly refuses to call those things Chevrolets! :)
Forza Forti
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

Pieman wrote:
ADx_Wales wrote: which included the 3 DAEWOO Cruzes.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who flatly refuses to call those things Chevrolets! :)

They even had the cheek to play the star spangled banner on the race1 podium after the french anthem belonging to Yvan Muller.
Waris

Post by Waris »

ADx_Wales wrote:Andrea Chiesa
Its an Italian series, you're bound to find at least one of the many Italians that failed to leave a victorious mark in the F1 history books, the ex-Fondmetal fondler will be competing in a "Swiss Team" Maserati.

Andrea Chiesa is Swiss, not Italian.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

Waris wrote:
Its an Italian series, you're bound to find at least one of the many Italians that failed to leave a victorious mark in the F1 history books, the ex-Fondmetal fondler will be competing in a "Swiss Team" Maserati.

you're bloody right and all, why are i stupid?

Now that whole "swiss team" is beginning to sink in too, that earns at least 1 papaya.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Waris wrote:

But chiesa is Italian for church, I think.
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

SuperGT (Japan)

Yuji Ide and Ralph Firman, in what is possibly the greatest ever combination of drivers in an endurance racing series, are driving the #8 Honda HSV-010 for Autobacs Racing Team Aguri in the GT 500 class of the Japanese SuperGT series. No other rejects are racing in the series, however the Japanese Lamborghini Owners Club (JLOC) team, who only lasted one lap at last years 24 Hours of Le Mans (with none other than Marco Apicella at the wheel) are entering three Lamborghini Gallardos. There are also a number of former F1 testers and GP2/F3000 drivers also racing in SuperGT this year.
This is a cool spot.
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

There are some "race digest" videos from 2009 on the series official Homepage (with English commentary, possibly by the guy who also voices the aircraft security videos you see before takeoff - "there are 5 emergency exits on this plane two at the rear two in the middle and one at the back"). So we may actually get to see some moving pictures of the Ide/Firman Aguri once the season starts on 20 May.
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

IZOD Indycars: Round 1, Sao Paolo

Its the first time that the IRL have been to South America, many of the frontrunners have been there in the form of Chamcpar on the Rio speedway, which would have been the more appealing decision before actually witnessing sundays race, but the venue upon the old F1 layout is now being readied for the Rio Olympics, no racing anymore.

The circuit, located near an Airport, featured a startline that was seperate from the pitlane, there have been similar street tracks in the past, but this one had a start line on concrete, which during practice had about as much grip as teflon, qualifying was postponed until raceday morning enough time for the surface to be diamond cut to allow the tyres to grip adequately. The race started in dry conditions, but the Paulista weather was bi-polar, as bad as (if not worse than) the Sepang GP 2009 with about half the race gone, it was stopped for 40 minutes to let the wether pass, the second part of the race was under the clock, and eventually won by Will Power, involved in a three-way battle for the lead, a more exciting start to the season than one happening in the middle east.

For the American audience, Versus have still got the rights to the series races except for the so called "prestige" ones, in Britain however Sky Sport's own "presentation" featured Delayed coverage that started at 11pm GMT, Grand Prix Motorbike Reject Keith Heuwen is now Sky Sports token Racing presenter, and the "expert" that was alongside Heuwen in the studio was British sportscar and GT driver Johnny Mowlem, both of whom have probably not breathed the same air as:

Takuma Sato
KV Racing

The ex-Honda and SUPA Aguri driver qualified 10th, But at the start he had the syndrome sufferd by many a F1 convert to US Open Wheel racing, the inability to adapt to Steel-Brake Braking methods, and ended up taking Scott Dixon out, who in turn took Helio Castroneves with him aswell. Taku out of the race before turn 1.

Justin Wilson
Dreyer & Reinbold Because Dryer and Ribenablood was too childish
The former Minardi driver (and victim of the Red Bull scheme when removed from his seat at Jaguar), Wilson benefited from his years in Champcar/IRL to deal with the new street circuit, qualifying fourth, but with many of the cars colliding on turn 1, Wilson fell fictim via a knicked tyrewall, so pitted early, but got back up to 10th during a few of the full course yellows that occurred before the weather kicked in.

On the restart he slipped in and out of the top ten, eventually getting 11th place once the time ran out in the second part of the race.
Last edited by ADx_Wales on 17 Mar 2010, 10:03, edited 3 times in total.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

It's Dreyer and Reinbold
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

FIA GT1 World Championship
Tomáš Enge
New challenge for Tomas Enge. After the win in Le Mans Series 2009, he will compete in inaugural season of FIA GT1 World Championship this year. Czech driver will be partnered with Briton Darrenem Turnerem, with whom he will share Aston Martin DBR9 in colours of factory supported Young Driver AMR team. The official presentation of the Young Driver AMR team took place on Tuesday in Kopenhagen, Denmark.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

thehemogoblin wrote:It's Dreyer and Reinbold

ADx is trying to make to make a joke based on the British drink Ribena and adding Blood. Why, I don't know but there you go.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

dr-baker wrote:

ADx is trying to make to make a joke based on the British drink Ribena and adding Blood. Why, I don't know but there you go.

OHHHH. Sorry. Missed that cultural reference.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

thehemogoblin wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

OHHHH. Sorry. Missed that cultural reference.

Well, if you've never heard of Ribena, you never were going to get it. No need to apologise for cultural ignorance. At least not in this instance. :)
MCard LOLA
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

NOT SO BIG NEWS!!!

For it involves a "lucky bastard" as opposed to a true reject:

NARAIN KARTHIKEYAN

Is to make his debut in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series

For those that forgot, its the series that was called the Craftsman Truck Series, more commonly known as NASCAR's Third Tier.
Python

Post by Python »

ADx_Wales wrote:NOT SO BIG NEWS!!!

For it involves a "lucky bastard" as opposed to a true reject:

NARAIN KARTHIKEYAN

Is to make his debut in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series

For those that forgot, its the series that was called the Craftsman Truck Series, more commonly known as NASCAR's Third Tier.

I faced palmed when I learned that he is going to drive at Martinsville, which in my opinion is one of the worst places to be your debut race at.
Best quote ever
watka wrote:There's only one fair way to settle this: a duel to first blood, using canes, and each of you must be wearing a top hat, waistcoat, and ascot tie.
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

Sebring 12 Hours
Update.

Its the first International endurance test of the season, Sebring being the perfect place to test the P Class and GTs against the bumps and humps of the auld airfield circuit in Florida, in preparation for Le Mans in June.

Its a two horse (two Lion?) race for the Overall lead.

Pedro Lamy
Currently leads with the 2 and a half hours gone, sharing a Peugeot 908 HDI FAP with...
Sebastien Bourdais
who is the fastest man in that car.

Marc Gene
and
Anthony Davidson
Are the only other eligable Rejects in contention for the overall win, sharing with Alex Wurz in the other P1 Pug.

Gianmaria Bruni
Held the GT2 lead in the Ferrari F430, and has handed over to Jaime Melo.
Last edited by ADx_Wales on 20 Mar 2010, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

ADx_Wales wrote:Pedro Lamy
Currently leads with the 2 and a half hours gone, sharing a Peugeot 908 HDI Fap Diesel with...

Oh boy, the innuendos...