2012 German Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
TomWazzleshaw

Re: 2012 German Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Benetton wrote:Timo Glock P4 :lol:

Screw Glock, De La Rosa's up to P6. And 19 people have set a time! :o
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
mario

Post by mario »

Peter wrote:
mario wrote:
Peter wrote:I just don't want to see DRS overpowered again. I hated to see Alonso go through all that work and ingeniousness in Canada to jump Vettel and Hamilton, only to have Lewis sail past again like it was nothing.

To be fair, by that point in the race Lewis's pace advantage, at more than a second a lap and growing, was enough to have seen him comfortably past both drivers fairly soon - as it was, Alonso's tyre wear was so severe that Hamilton was already past Alonso before they even reached the DRS activation point, because his superior traction meant that he could simply out accelerate Alonso. Speaking of Canada, they had already tried cutting down the size of the DRS zone in Canada compared to last year for that reason, although the FIA does face something of a difficult balancing act given that they still have relatively little data to work from.

I probably should have been more clear. I meant after Alonso made his first pitstop. He leapfrogged Lewis and Vettel, and his lead only existed from pit exit to the DRS zone.

I see, although Alonso's problems in that race were compounded by a relatively long warm up period for the tyres, which hindered Vettel quite noticeably too (with Hamilton passing Vettel by staying out for longer, something that is unusual this season).

Back to this weekend, we now have three drivers having to make a premature gearbox change and picking up penalties - Red Bull noticed some abnormal data signals from the hydraulics operating the gear selection mechanism, and after carrying out an overnight investigation they found that it was a terminal issue, necessitating a gearbox change. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101341
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Wizzie wrote:

This is HRT's race :lol:
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

eurobrun wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

HRT 1-2; de la Rosa leads Kathikeyan home by half a minute after 15 people crash out in torrential rain, with Grosjean salvaging a 3rd after having his front wing replaced 2 times. You heard it here first :lol:
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
RonDenisDeletraz

pasta_maldonado wrote:
eurobrun wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

HRT 1-2; de la Rosa leads Kathikeyan home by half a minute after 15 people crash out in torrential rain, with Grosjean salvaging a 3rd after having his front wing replaced 2 times. You heard it here first :lol:

That could have been post of the year until I read the second part :|
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Grosjean, Webber and.. Rosberg(?) all have 5-place drops now. The rule needs to be scrapped, it's just stupid.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
RonDenisDeletraz

AdrianSutil wrote:Grosjean, Webber and.. Rosberg(?) all have 5-place drops now. The rule needs to be scrapped, it's just stupid.

I agree, I have never liked that rule.

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

AdrianSutil wrote:Grosjean, Webber and.. Rosberg(?) all have 5-place drops now. The rule needs to be scrapped, it's just stupid.

This, so so much. It's just ridiculously unfair. They've done nothing wrong, so why should they be punished? :evil:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Far out. It's just started absolutely bucketing down in the last minute
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Go Sergio!!!
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

What time is quali shown on BBC? 4-5pm something like that?
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

East Londoner wrote:

This, so so much. It's just ridiculously unfair. They've done nothing wrong, so why should they be punished? :evil:

I can understand grid drops from causing a crash or ignoring yellow flags (read: Japan 2009 quali, where no less than 5 drivers got grid drops after a Toro Rosso crashed), but a faulty gearbox?! Come on, how can a driver prevent that?
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

AdrianSutil wrote:
East Londoner wrote:

I can understand grid drops from causing a crash or ignoring yellow flags (read: Japan 2009 quali, where no less than 5 drivers got grid drops after a Toro Rosso crashed), but a faulty gearbox?! Come on, how can a driver prevent that?

Johnny Herbert did mention during FP3 that if a driver drives too aggressively, especially through too much kerb-hopping, it can damage the gearbox. That being said, the grid penalties are too harsh.

Then again, at least it's not as bad as pretty much anything in the IndyCar rulebook :lol:
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Wizzie wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:
East Londoner wrote:This, so so much. It's just ridiculously unfair. They've done nothing wrong, so why should they be punished? :evil:

Johnny Herbert did mention during FP3 that if a driver drives too aggressively, especially through too much kerb-hopping, it can damage the gearbox. That being said, the grid penalties are too harsh.

Then again, at least it's not as bad as pretty much anything in the IndyCar rulebook :lol:

Defend your lead = Disqualified
Wet tyres = Not traditional, so we won't bother

Least it's not CRAPCAR with fans that are only interested in crashes, causing forced caution periods. Oh, and a million points for the winner. And a 100 for the guy who came last :lol:
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
RonDenisDeletraz

pasta_maldonado wrote:
Wizzie wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:I can understand grid drops from causing a crash or ignoring yellow flags (read: Japan 2009 quali, where no less than 5 drivers got grid drops after a Toro Rosso crashed), but a faulty gearbox?! Come on, how can a driver prevent that?

Least it's not CRAPCAR with fans that are only interested in crashes, causing forced caution periods. Oh, and a million points for the winner. And a 100 for the guy who came last :lol:

Last time I checked NASCAR now only awards 43 points for a win.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
Wizzie wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:[quote="East

Don't forget the 10 place grid penalties for every time an Engine Manufacturer bathplugs it up :lol:
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

AdrianSutil wrote:What time is quali shown on BBC? 4-5pm something like that?

Qualifying highlights are on at 5pm today, the race highlights are being shown at 5:30pm tomorrow. Both on BBC2.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Huh, Brundle actually just said he prefers the new layout, interesting.

Grid penalties for Rosberg, Webber and GRSJN should mix the grid up a bit too.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Rain expected between :30 and :35?

Almost at the end of Q2?

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The cars seem very nervous and twitchy at the moment. I suppose a consequence of the practice sessions being affected by rain.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

McLaren believe they are safe in Q1, then Hulkenberg puts in a 1:16.2 on softs. :lol:
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Webber in the bottom 7.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Schumi under pressure as well. Only just scrapes into Q2.

Mr Vergne is in the out yet again. :roll:
Last edited by Londoner on 21 Jul 2012, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

And Vergne is out yet again. Standard procedures.
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

This is the only time that STR get noticed, when Vergne gets knocked out :lol:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Top 17 in 0.993, Schumacher gets through, Vergne doesn't, Kovalainen is still a second behind in the Caterham.

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The Reverend says it's raining.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

As if Karthikeyan hasn't outqualified a teammate since 2005.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

redbulljack14 wrote:As if Karthikeyan hasn't outqualified a teammate since 2005.

It's true. It's damn true :lol:
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

It's raining! Bunsen and The Reverend are on inters.

Inters are the wrong tyres judging by how Bunsen is struggling for grip. Full wets are needed.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Fernando IS faster than you :lol:

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I wonder who's gonna smack it into the barriers first. They're all over the shop!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

East Londoner wrote:I wonder who's gonna smack it into the barriers first. They're all over the shop!

All over the shop you say?
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Rosberg and GRSJN are having a nightmare today, another race of mediocrity for Rosberg tomorrow?
RonDenisDeletraz

We could very well find the reject of the race soon.

Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Rosberg a whopping 3.5 seconds behind Schumacher. If he didn't set his car up for wet conditions, I can somewhat understand a difference, but not this much - so this is a big FAIL.

the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

First words I hear from the One idiots:

"And such a shame for Daniel Ricciardo, juuuuuuuust missing out on Q3 there."

No mention of the rain, it's like they expect him to make Q3 on a regular basis :|
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:First words I hear from the One idiots:

No mention of the rain, it's like they expect him to make Q3 on a regular basis :|

It's bias, what did you expect?
I could give you a hundred examples when HWNSNBM raced in F1 when RTL Klub aired F1 in Hungary!

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Nico Hulkenberg attempting to shorten the Hockenheim circuit even further. :lol:
RonDenisDeletraz

Shizuka wrote:
the Masked Lapwing wrote:First words I hear from the One idiots:

It's bias, what did you expect?
I could give you a hundred examples when HWNSNBM raced in F1 when RTL Klub aired F1 in Hungary!

It's HWNSNBM, your point is invalid.