2013 Australian Grand Prix Thread - Race SUN 0700 CET

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
TomWazzleshaw

Re: 2013 Australian Grand Prix Thread - Race SUN 0700 CET

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Marussia embarrassing Caterham in FP1? I can live with that :)
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Vettel quickest. Wake me up in 2014.

Just kidding things look really close at the front.
Bianchi only 0.3 behind the Toro's, boy has talent.
Message me on Discord.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Shadaza wrote:Vettel quickest. Wake me up in 2014.

Wonder how long he'll be at Marussia?
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Oh dear, both Mercs have had separate mechanical failures in the space of a minute :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Sutil and Bianchi have actually been quite impressive imo. GVDG is almost humorously bad though
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

One McLaren to drop in Q2, seeing the FP results...

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

eurobrun wrote:Sutil and Bianchi have actually been quite impressive imo. GVDG is almost humorously bad though

I want to support him, but his driving is making it difficult :lol:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
RonDenisDeletraz

the Masked Lapwing wrote:
eurobrun wrote:Sutil and Bianchi have actually been quite impressive imo. GVDG is almost humorously bad though

Why, as well as being terrible he is also a total James Allen :lol: That contract crap in 2007 and his general attitude means I will never like him
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
mario

Post by mario »

Shadaza wrote:Vettel quickest. Wake me up in 2014.

And it looks like those times in FP1 were not a fluke, as he was 0.3s behind the last midfield driver again in FP2 (Bottas in this instance) - given that he has only had two days worth of testing, that is a pretty impressive achievement. If he can keep that up for the rest of the weekend, then he might well get a very respectable result at the end of it given the usual chaos that occurs in Australia.

Shizuka wrote:One McLaren to drop in Q2, seeing the FP results...

You might well be right there - OK, McLaren are normally relatively conservative when it comes to Friday free practise sessions and tend to not really show their hand until FP3, but at the moment it looks like a three way battle between Mercedes, Lotus and Ferrari for best of the rest behind Vettel (and it looks like Mercedes genuinely have found a fairly large chunk of performance in the off season, but not the reliability to go with it - Rosberg's gearbox packed up in FP2 whilst the splitter on Hamilton's car came loose, hence why he spun off the track).
It looks like both Sam Michael and Martin Whitmarsh are pretty pessimistic after the these first two sessions - the car does not seem to be working as hoped (and it seems that, as some were predicting, McLaren are paying the price for their front pull rod design in some ways - there are reports that it took them nearly 25 minutes to make some changes to the suspension of Perez's car because of restricted access to the suspension components).

In fact, I would not be entirely surprised if we ended up seeing both McLaren's drop out in Q2 as things stand - neither Button nor Perez seem to be the strongest drivers over a single lap, and coupling that to a car that doesn't seem to be responding to set up changes in the way that they would like does sound like a recipe for trouble.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Marussia and Mercedes seem to be the most improved teams. Mercedes is back at the top, at least in qualifying. Marussia seem to have overtaken Caterham, who contnue stagnating. McLaren are the other disappointment. After their strong end of the last season, I expected them to be a title contender again, but at the moment, they're just upper midfield. But they haave shown before that they can develop a car, so I expect them to improve.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Boomstick

Post by Boomstick »

In the red bull pit there was a swarm of renault guys around the back of webbers car, there was some fuss over his half spin being caused by a mechanical fault...hrm...

The williams cars are very slow into turn 3 running heavy prehaps?

And we had the caterham in the kitty little infront of us..
HonoraryNortherner

Post by HonoraryNortherner »

Very impressed with Marussia. With Bianchi they seem to finally be able to complete with the lower midfield on occaision. I might even put a bet on this year that they score points....
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

eurobrun wrote:
the Masked Lapwing wrote:

Why, as well as being terrible he is also a total James Allen :lol: That contract crap in 2007 and his general attitude means I will never like him

In that case, my sig might appeal to you.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
RonDenisDeletraz

Ataxia [BacLettNinj] wrote:
eurobrun wrote:
the Masked Lapwing wrote:I want to support him, but his driving is making it difficult :lol:

I saw that, I think that it is an early contender for Sig of the Year

David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Still early on Bianchi, but has started really well.

Not so good for McLaren duo!

Was at track, weather was great. Have signatures of a few drivers and team members.

Visibly, state the obvious but Caterham look slow, while Williams, Force India and Ferrari have loud noises (presume gearbox changes) then the norm.

Looked like good crowd too, which is positive!
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
andrew2209 wrote:Can we have a dry start, but a sudden downpour on Lap 1?

But only in a few corners.

Like a race at Bathurst?

Yeah, sure, why not.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Giedo Van der Garde outside of the 107% time of Friday ... Caterham what has become of you?

Having quite liked Caterham over the previous seasons since their entry to F1, it's kind of sad to see them go down like this. But the season is just beginning, so here's hoping for an upswing. (Enter appropriate "bit of bull" joke here)
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Jonny83

Post by Jonny83 »

Loads of people getting hormonal over on Autosport boards because Vettel had the bare faced cheek to like, go fastest by a few tenths, and stuff. Apparently the year won't be worth watching now. Would love to drop them in the middle of 1992 and watch their heads explode.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

If anything, this only proves that McLaren, performance wise, is looking screwed

If Hamilton wins before McLaren he'll look like a genius
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Ataxia [BacLettNinj] wrote:
eurobrun wrote:

Damn you!! :evil: :lol:
TORA! TORA! TORA!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

JeremyMcClean wrote:If anything, this only proves that McLaren, performance wise, is looking screwed

That's assuming the two Mercs make it to the end of the race, as both of them decided they didn't want to be German anymore at the end of FP2. Again.
mario

Post by mario »

Wizzie wrote:
JeremyMcClean wrote:If anything, this only proves that McLaren, performance wise, is looking screwed

That's assuming the two Mercs make it to the end of the race, as both of them decided they didn't want to be German anymore at the end of FP2. Again.

Which is surprising given that the team seemed to have sorted out their reliability in the off season (given that they racked up the second highest mileage in testing) - mind you, it's a little ironic that the splitter on Hamilton's car should have broken given that it happened to him a few years ago during the race.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

mario wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

Which is surprising given that the team seemed to have sorted out their reliability in the off season (given that they racked up the second highest mileage in testing) - mind you, it's a little ironic that the splitter on Hamilton's car should have broken given that it happened to him a few years ago during the race.

I think that was because he went off like 5 or 6 times in the race. And still finished 2nd.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Did anyone notice the glimpse of Paul Stoddart chatting to HWNSNBM during FP1? :o :D

My word, the great ZB has ... broadened, shall we say ... :?
mario

Post by mario »

mario wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:I think that was because he went off like 5 or 6 times in the race. And still finished 2nd.

I thought that it was the case that Hamilton went off the track because the splitter was damaged (it seemed to have been damaged before he went off in Turn 1, from what I can recall of that race).
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

eytl wrote:Did anyone notice the glimpse of Paul Stoddart chatting to HWNSNBM during FP1? :o :D

My word, the great ZB has ... broadened, shall we say ... :?

All that Ambrosia and Nectar doesn't do wonders for one's figure.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Hey, McLaren are looking really screwed right now... and they haven't the kind of drivers who can drive around a troubled car.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Vettel's helmet this weekend is a tribute to HWNSNBM, apparently. Something like that.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I don't think it matters who Force India would've picked out of Bianchi and Sutil. Both have been pretty impressive, it has to be said.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Ataxia [BacLettNinj] wrote:I don't think it matters who Force India would've picked out of Bianchi and Sutil. Both have been pretty impressive, it has to be said.

And I'm very pleased for both so far this weekend. Sutil hasn't lost his pace and Bianchi is proving to be a big signing for Marussia.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Zetec

Post by Zetec »

I think it's still a bit early to draw any conclusions:

Hamiltion for instance says, that the Mercedes is faster than last year, because they are so high up the standing. Let's not forget, that Schumacher was 3rd in FP1 and 1st in FP2 in 2012. And you now, how the season ended for Mercedes.

Maldonado on the other hand thinks, that the Williams is lacking speed. Well, last year in Melbourne they where up to 4 seconds slower than P1 in FP1+2.

Sutil thinks, the Force India is fast. Last year they were faster then Sauber in FP1 and FP2. Over the whole season they still were slower and Sauber had podiums.

And so on...

What I try to say is, that I don't get it, that after FP2 everyone thinks that they know the pecking order and who will win the Championship.
And I really hope for Hamilton, that he will be thrown back to reality after the race. They are fast, but on the long stints it seems, that the tyres do the same thing as last year for them...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AdrianSutil wrote:
Ataxia [BacLettNinj] wrote:I don't think it matters who Force India would've picked out of Bianchi and Sutil. Both have been pretty impressive, it has to be said.

And I'm very pleased for both so far this weekend. Sutil hasn't lost his pace and Bianchi is proving to be a big signing for Marussia.

It seems that Bianchi can really make the difference. He just has to keep it up! Still, it is yearly days and don't forget that, besides Pic, the others are complete rookies and still finding their feet.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Yep, this year is going to be VETTELWINSLOL.
Trump 2016
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

darkapprentice77 wrote:Yep, this year is going to be VETTELWINSLOL.

I am still hoping it is not as bad as it seems. But what I am afraid of is that the last time Red Bull dominated FP's like this was THAT year of 2011...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

DanielPT wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:

It seems that Bianchi can really make the difference. He just has to keep it up! Still, it is yearly days and don't forget that, besides Pic, the others are complete rookies and still finding their feet.

I know it's early days, yeah, but it's looking like Razia not paying up is the best thing that's happened to Marussia...
S951

Post by S951 »

Jules what a gem he is turning out to be not far off str either this is good

caterham for fail of the year
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:
darkapprentice77 wrote:Yep, this year is going to be VETTELWINSLOL.

I am still hoping it is not as bad as it seems. But what I am afraid of is that the last time Red Bull dominated FP's like this was THAT year of 2011...

We will have to wait and see how things turn out, but Vettel should be in a position where he has the fastest overall package given that the RB9 is an evolution of the RB8, and the RB8 was a pretty strong car by the end of 2012.

That said, whilst the car looks very quick over a single lap, it does look as if some of the other teams are a little closer over a longer stint, so in the race itself Vettel might not be entirely comfortable. Equally, some of the other drivers did seem to be driving a little more cautiously than Vettel was - whilst Vettel wasn't pushing right to the limits of the car's performance, it did look as if some of the other drivers were taking it a little easier than he was, so the gap may not be quite so large come FP3.

S951 wrote:Jules what a gem he is turning out to be not far off str either this is good

caterham for fail of the year

As others have pointed out, at the moment van der Garde is potentially in a situation where he may fail to qualify - his best FP2 time was slightly worse than his best FP1 time (did he have problems that prevented him from doing more laps?) and outside of the 107% margin by several tenths. At least Pic seems to be doing a better job of things, though he is still a long way behind Bianchi's very solid FP2 times.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

mario wrote:As others have pointed out, at the moment van der Garde is potentially in a situation where he may fail to qualify - his best FP2 time was slightly worse than his best FP1 time (did he have problems that prevented him from doing more laps?)

He crashed 30 minutes in.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

I guess that if Pic manages a reasonable time, VDG will be allowed to start, as Caterham could probably come up with some excuses to why VDG is so slow. (but we all know that in fact he's just rubbish)
But still these are worrying signs.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

This wrote:I guess that if Pic manages a reasonable time, VDG will be allowed to start, as Caterham could probably come up with some excuses to why VDG is so slow. (but we all know that in fact he's just rubbish)
But still these are worrying signs.

He is about equal to Pic on pace it is just he is a lot more wild on track and had plenty of off track moments, He ended up stuck in the gravel before he could do a super soft tire run.
Message me on Discord.