2010 Korean GP Discussion thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Salamander

Re: 2010 Korean GP Discussion thread

Post by Salamander »

watka wrote:The track was the only thing that was finished, there was meant to be a whole city around the race track, but instead it was barren!

I don't think the town was intended to be completed by the time of the race.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
watka wrote:The track was the only thing that was finished, there was meant to be a whole city around the race track, but instead it was barren!

Correct
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

But did Korea deserve this particular award? Isn't this the one that the Aussies have won for the past several years?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:

The theory is that they can build up a sizeable office and residential complex around the track, since they are hoping to attract other motorsport series, and therefore revenue, to the region. Whether they will be able to do that in reality is another matter, given the bad press that they received in the build up to the inaugural race.

dr-baker wrote:But did Korea deserve this particular award? Isn't this the one that the Aussies have won for the past several years?

Well, the FIA hasn't bothered explaining to the public why they have given them this award - the official press statement merely says that:
The award recognises the state-of-the-art Korean International Circuit which hosted its inaugural grand prix this year.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pr ... moter.aspx

And that is it - they also gave Abu Dhabi an award, but at least they had the decency to explain why (in that case, it was for the quality of the broadcast service that they provided on site).

As I've said before, rationally I cannot see what they have done to deserve the award - yes, the race was ultimately absorbing, but also highly farcical, and most of the build up to the event, and the elements of the race itself, showed signs of inexperienced and poor management. If anything, based on the personal testimony of one of the site's authors, it sounds as if Singapore did a far better job - better crowd management, additional events for the fans and ultimately a much more professional show.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

I've been noticing new tracks getting the award for the past seasons... Australia 1996 (Melbourne), Malaysia 1999, Bahrain 2004, Singapore 2008, Abu Dhabi 2009, now Korea 2010... It hasn't been like this for very long but the past three winners were new tracks on the calendar...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

To be fair, the Korean organizers can't be held responsible for the weather. That said, they still didn't deserve this.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

mario wrote:The theory is that they can build up a sizeable office and residential complex around the track, since they are hoping to attract other motorsport series, and therefore revenue, to the region. Whether they will be able to do that in reality is another matter, given the bad press that they received in the build up to the inaugural race.

Maybe the reason why the FIA gave them the award is to dispel some of the bad press, so the track can say it's got an award, attract other motorsport series, and it won't turn out to be a massive waste of money.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

JeremyMcClean wrote:I've been noticing new tracks getting the award for the past seasons... Australia 1996 (Melbourne), Malaysia 1999, Bahrain 2004, Singapore 2008, Abu Dhabi 2009, now Korea 2010... It hasn't been like this for very long but the past three winners were new tracks on the calendar...

So India to win it in 2011 and Austin, Texas in 2012? You heard it here first!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

dr-baker wrote:I think adding this news story is more appropiate here than starting a new thread.

Korea has won an FIA Race Promoter's Award. With all the doubt and uncertainty of the race going ahead until after the previous Grand Prix? Ridiculous!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88657

Corruption?
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."