2016 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Salamander

Re: 2016 Silly Season Thread

Post by Salamander »

giraurd wrote:Sorry to drag on, but why does the driver the rookie is facing *need* to be comparable to Button, when Magnussen was further off Button than the examples I named to their benchmarks?

For what it's worth, we also can't know for sure whether Button was performing up to his normal standards in 2014 or not - remember how awful he was compared to Hamilton when struggling with balance?

First, Magnussen was only further off in total points - in terms of single lap pace, he was right up there. Points are, of course, only handed out on race day, which is where the experience gap between Magnussen and Button always came to the fore, especially since Button's strength was always in race pace. And anyway, in the case of Perez and Kobayashi, the gap between them in points was very similar to Button and Magnussen's - Perez scored 46% of Kobayashi's 2011 score, and Magnussen 43% of Button's score.

And second, we have clear evidence that Button is at least good enough to give Alonso a run for his money in 2015 - as he was most of the time against Hamilton. While his first half of 2014 was a bit suspect, he did have to step up his game towards the end of the season to be able to fend off Magnussen.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Of course, the whole problem with comparing teammates over one or two seasons is a mid- to late 1990s example:

Hill beat Villeneuve
Villeneuve beat Frentzen
Frentzen beat Hill...

So who was best of those three? (I would say Hill, but then he had a terrible 1999...) You can only ever compare a driver to his teammate, but even that is a flawed argument as shown above. So can we move on please? We all have our opinions, biases and preferences for drivers, and I don't think that we will make any further progress with this debate. However, I doubt that I will stop the more vocal of you continuing to express your subjective opinions...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

dr-baker wrote:So can we move on please?

Aw, but I was just getting out the popcorn :(
#FreeGonzo
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dr-baker wrote:Of course, the whole problem with comparing teammates over one or two seasons is a mid- to late 1990s example:

Hill beat Villeneuve
Villeneuve beat Frentzen
Frentzen beat Hill...

So who was best of those three? (I would say Hill, but then he had a terrible 1999...) You can only ever compare a driver to his teammate, but even that is a flawed argument as shown above. So can we move on please? We all have our opinions, biases and preferences for drivers, and I don't think that we will make any further progress with this debate. However, I doubt that I will stop the more vocal of you continuing to express your subjective opinions...

If you think that's ever going to stop people from trying to compare drivers who weren't teammates, then you're sadly mistaken.
Everything's great.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:So can we move on please?

You make a really good point with the old Villenueve/Hill/Frentzen paradox but the guys are just geeking out really, I don't think they've started getting personal and abusive have they? As long as everyone's being civil let them argue it out....
FOREVER! if they want to.
Just For One Day...
girry

Post by girry »

Oh, but I totally agree that the "driver x is better than driver y because he beat him in year z" arguments are dumb, which the Hill/Villeneuve/Frentzen trio duly demonstrated, for there is no "driver bestness skill" as such, and the drivers' performances may vary a lot from year to year.

The debate, however, wasn't about that but the respective performances of the drivers over single seasons, which, albeit never completely unsubjective, is a far more concrete topic in my opinion. (That, even if in this particular debate no conclusion can seem to be found...at least apart from that me and Salamander appear to have conflicting definitions over to which degree potential shown in qualifying should be considered when rating a season-long performance :twisted: )
when you're dead people start listening
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

If dr-baker thinks he can stop this discussion with the "Hill-Villeneuve-Frentzen paradox" then he must think again! :D

I don't agree with giraurd then. It is not dumb. It is one of the most direct way of comparing drivers. Otherwise one could not say that x=Nico Rosberg is better than y=Nakajima just because he beat="completely anihilated" him in year z=2009. There is no doubt that comparisons although not completely fair do work and are also a way for the teams to measure their own drivers. As for the so called paradox, it is only apparent.

First Damon Hill, at pretty much the final years of his F1 peak, beat a rookie called Villeneuve who despite being only on his first year in F1 was already a match to his more than experienced team-mate. Fast forward a year and Villeneuve, now with a year on his belt was only going to get better and proceeded to smash his new team-mate Frentzen and was still better than him in the following year. This makes Villeneuve the better of that trio. This was the easy part.

Now for the hardest. Come 1999 Frentzen switched to Jordan and went against Hill, the old Champion who by then was no spring chicken in F1, being 38 years and all. Surely, Hill was no match to Frentzen by then and proceeded to be massively outperformed. Still, in my mind (this is now very subjective), Hill was better than Frentzen at peak powers. He ended up beating Villeneuve, something Frentzen never did. And being Champion, which is no easy feat. What's more, 1999 was the last year before Damon's retirement, who was not only enjoying his racing and the cars but realized his time was up.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:If dr-baker thinks he can stop this discussion with the "Hill-Villeneuve-Frentzen paradox" then he must think again! :D

I know this forum better than that! I knew I couldn't stop the discussion, but it has moved on a little, eh? ;)

And the way you explained the paradox, that logic did run through my head in a convoluted way as I was posting, but you explained it more eloquently than me.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I think when it comes to comparing F1 drivers at different points in their careers and at differing ages perhaps it's best to just remember 'sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield'.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:I think when it comes to comparing F1 drivers at different points in their careers and at differing ages perhaps it's best to just remember 'sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield'.

Alternatively, "Sometimes you're the statue, and sometimes you're the pigeon."
MCard LOLA
girry

Post by girry »

DanielPT wrote:I don't agree with giraurd then. It is not dumb. It is one of the most direct way of comparing drivers.

I think trying to compare drivers' bestness IS dumb for it is so vague to say driver A is better than driver B. Better at what? Driving a racing car or specifically an F1 car? How much weight should be put on each attribute if A is faster in qualifying trim and B is the more consistent racer? Do we discuss their ability to pull miracles out of a slow car or their ability to take the title in a dominant car? Do we discuss their entire careers or how good they were within a set timeframe? etc etc etc etc etc.

Ok, we can confidently say Rosberg is to most (probably all) standards a better driver than Nakajima based on their time together as teammates - but when it comes to the Hill/Villeneuve/Frentzen trio or such, it definitely should first be clarified what exact qualities we are talking about before spitting out an autosportforum-style A>B>C list. Probably none of the first 2 could have done what Frentzen almost did in 1999 Jordan even in their peaks, but that doesn't mean Frentzen would have taken the 1996 title in a Williams. Villeneuve has demonstrated his immense ability in non-F1 machinery, but his F1 "peak" was the shortest. So, who's the best? :roll:
when you're dead people start listening
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

giraurd wrote: So, who's the best? :roll:

Stephane Sarrazin.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

giraurd wrote:I think trying to compare drivers' bestness IS dumb for it is so vague to say driver A is better than driver B. Better at what? Driving a racing car or specifically an F1 car? How much weight should be put on each attribute if A is faster in qualifying trim and B is the more consistent racer? Do we discuss their ability to pull miracles out of a slow car or their ability to take the title in a dominant car? Do we discuss their entire careers or how good they were within a set timeframe? etc etc etc etc etc.

When you put it in those terms, sure it is dumb. Except no one here is doing that. What people are doing, as maybe a geek exercise or perhaps doing some kind of guessing game, is "finding out" who is the best. Who is the best at what? Well, this is a F1 thread so it is safe to say that it is best at F1 racing. But at what you say? Well, at achieving the best results. Ultimately, it is all about that, no? Results when implicit. And then results given the machinery at their disposition. Still, you might have a driver like Hulkenberg. How can Hulkenberg be a dominant champion if is not having such machinery at his disposal? Well, you might say that he if he cannot place himself in that machinery then he doesn't fit into that mold. Unfair? Again, this exercise is not meant to be that.

giraurd wrote:Ok, we can confidently say Rosberg is to most (probably all) standards a better driver than Nakajima based on their time together as teammates - but when it comes to the Hill/Villeneuve/Frentzen trio or such, it definitely should first be clarified what exact qualities we are talking about before spitting out an autosportforum-style A>B>C list. Probably none of the first 2 could have done what Frentzen almost did in 1999 Jordan even in their peaks, but that doesn't mean Frentzen would have taken the 1996 title in a Williams. Villeneuve has demonstrated his immense ability in non-F1 machinery, but his F1 "peak" was the shortest. So, who's the best? :roll:

Again, this is all about results. In that case you clearly can say that Hill and Villeneuve were better than Frentzen. And it is not like Frentzen didn't drove a dominant car. He did and was dominated by his then team-mate Villeneuve. Would Villeneuve be capable of doing what Frentzen did at Jordan? Perhaps not, but you might argue that he did just that dragging the BAR into places it perhaps was not able to go. Could Frentzen have won the 1996 title in a Williams? Well, he could not in the 1997 which was just marginally less dominant so nothing indicates he could have done it in 96. Then you have other factors into account that say Frentzen was in contention in 99 because McLaren kept failing at finishing the races. And who says that Jordan wasn't better than what Frentzen was showing? And I don't agree that Villeneuve peak wasn't short. He just spent the best part of his career in below average machinery. He was still showing the way to Panis (who was highly rated back then) in 2003. It is all pretty much implicit. Results in the span of their career and the moment surrounding the comparing years in order to infer the team-mate ability.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:
giraurd wrote: So, who's the best? :roll:

Stephane Sarrazin.

I raise you Marco Apicella and Al Pease. :lol:
MCard LOLA
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

DanielPT wrote:
giraurd wrote:And I don't agree that Villeneuve peak wasn't short. He just spent the best part of his career in below average machinery. He was still showing the way to Panis (who was highly rated back then) in 2003. It is all pretty much implicit. Results in the span of their career and the moment surrounding the comparing years in order to infer the team-mate ability.

...but the following year was he beaten by Button by more than Kevin Magnussen was? :P
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

MorbidelliObese wrote:
DanielPT wrote:
giraurd wrote:And I don't agree that Villeneuve peak wasn't short. He just spent the best part of his career in below average machinery. He was still showing the way to Panis (who was highly rated back then) in 2003. It is all pretty much implicit. Results in the span of their career and the moment surrounding the comparing years in order to infer the team-mate ability.

...but the following year was he beaten by Button by more than Kevin Magnussen was? :P

Are you talking about Jenson Button, World Champion in 2009, the guy who managed to be best of the rest behind the all conquering Ferrari in 04 and in a BAR, he who's only been beaten by a team-mate in 3 times after that and up until now in 11 years span and 2 of them were against Lewis Hamilton? Are you talking about the only Lewis Hamilton team-mate to ever finish ahead of him in the championship? Is that Jenson Button?

Going back to the start of the discussion, that only enhances Kevin Magnussen results, me thinks
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:Are you talking about Jenson Button, World Champion in 2009, the guy who managed to be best of the rest behind the all conquering Ferrari in 04 and in a BAR, he who's only been beaten by a team-mate in 3 times after that and up until now in 11 years span and 2 of them were against Lewis Hamilton? Are you talking about the only Lewis Hamilton team-mate to ever finish ahead of him in the championship? Is that Jenson Button?

DPT, I think that is the Jenson Button they're talking about :shock:
Just For One Day...
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

CoopsII wrote:
DanielPT wrote:Are you talking about Jenson Button, World Champion in 2009, the guy who managed to be best of the rest behind the all conquering Ferrari in 04 and in a BAR, he who's only been beaten by a team-mate in 3 times after that and up until now in 11 years span and 2 of them were against Lewis Hamilton? Are you talking about the only Lewis Hamilton team-mate to ever finish ahead of him in the championship? Is that Jenson Button?

Conversely, that is never the Jenson Button Klon is talking about ;)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

tommykl wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

Conversely, that is never the Jenson Button Klon is talking about ;)

That makes sense, Klon lives in an alternate universe where Button is crap and Rubens is the second coming.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Waris

Post by Waris »

I keep telling you, if Rubens hadn't had that puncture in Interlagos 2009... *sad trumpet music plays* :roll:
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:That makes sense, Klon lives in an alternate universe where Button is crap and Rubens is the second coming.

Whilst in reality, Rubens was just coming second.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Ataxia wrote:
RonDenisDeletraz wrote:That makes sense, Klon lives in an alternate universe where Button is crap and Rubens is the second coming.

Worthy of a sig that one
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Ataxia wrote:

Well, how do you come first when your inept group calling themselves a "team" screw everything up all the time? Remember, ataxia, these people more likely than not still having jobs is one of the reason why you are working a soul-sucking job instead of living your dreams, so I wouldn't be so smarmy.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Klon wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

Well, how do you come first when your inept group calling themselves a "team" screw everything up all the time? Remember, ataxia, these people more likely than not still having jobs is one of the reason why you are working a soul-sucking job instead of living your dreams, so I wouldn't be so smarmy.

#banter

Least I have a job...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Ataxia wrote:#banter

Least I have a job...

Enemy's KLON is hurt by burn!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Klon wrote:
Ataxia wrote:#banter

Least I have a job...

Enemy's KLON is hurt by burn!

Hah! You better have BURN HEAL!
Everything's great.
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Going back to the start of the discussion, that only enhances Kevin Magnussen results, me thinks

Was being a bit tongue-in-cheek sorry, saw when Villeneuve got dragged into the conversation and realised he shared a teammate with Magnussen I couldn't resist. To be honest putting my serious hat on I agree with you - Button was and is a very good driver, which in turn reflects well on Magnussen.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

MorbidelliObese wrote:

Was being a bit tongue-in-cheek sorry, saw when Villeneuve got dragged into the conversation and realised he shared a teammate with Magnussen I couldn't resist. To be honest putting my serious hat on I agree with you - Button was and is a very good driver, which in turn reflects well on Magnussen.

No problem. I probably also came across as a bit irked without really being it. Just reminding the achievements of Jenson Button in a probable not very friendly way. Sorry about that. It was also a way to show that this team-mate comparison can really deliver some order into proceedings.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Behold, the latest development in the Red Bull saga...

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I think I can successfully make the claim that Red Bull currently have no idea which engine supplier they'll use next year.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

East Londoner wrote:Behold, the latest development in the Red Bull saga...

Now there's desperate... and DESPERATE!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

If that's true, and it's a big IF, I think it proves that Bernie still wields quite a bit of power.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Hoping that that helps to speed up Honda's rate of development.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:

If that's true, and it's a big IF, I think it proves that Bernie still wields quite a bit of power.

And yet we are in a situation where it would not be clear who required more persuasion to sign that deal...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Driver announcement imminent at Team Enstone. It's likely to be Jolyon Palmer driving the second Lotus for 2016. Magnussen and Vergne are not currently in the States at present. However...Stoffel Vandoorne is...

EDIT: Palmer confirmed at Lotus for 2016
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

East Londoner wrote:Driver announcement imminent at Team Enstone. It's likely to be Jolyon Palmer driving the second Lotus for 2016. Magnussen and Vergne are not currently in the States at present. However...Stoffel Vandoorne is...

EDIT: Palmer confirmed at Lotus for 2016

if K-mag is confirmed at Haas would that be a record number of sons of ex f1 drivers in f1?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Jolyon Palmer... christ, I think the only worse GP2 champion they could've picked was Leimer, and then only barely. Maldonado will crush him.
Everything's great.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Maldonado/Palmer.

Seriously? That's like getting paid £50 million to shite in two cars and send them on track.