The Sportscar and Endurance Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
roblo97

Re: The Sportscar and Endurance Thread

Post by roblo97 »

go_Rubens wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:If Nissan were to believe that they could win in such a short timeframe and pull out if they don't, they'd be nuts. It's already nuts that they go out saying they'll win the 2016 Le Mans 24 Hours. All they are setting up for in my eyes are a "failure" where they'll ruin their reputation by simply expecting too much. It feels as if the team is being driven by an oversized ego.

Meanwhile, the test day has been said and done, and Toyota, based on the results, must be the favorites to win. They have the pace. They have the fuel efficiency. They have the drivers. They have the reliability. My bet is on the reject trio. Audi look competitive, but only for a podium. Porsche look like they need straight line speed, which may be why they're not so close to Toyota as they have been along with Audi.

The 1000bhp of the TS040 seems to really help them here.

It's only a mere 250bhp more than the Porsche :lol:

Yeah, that partially explains why Porsche weren't the fastest in testing and were a couple of seconds off. It just doesn't have the power to compete with Toyota. I don't think Audi does either.

I read in autosports preview that Audi are 200bhp down on the others during the first 4-5 seconds on each straight. Even though there chassis is good enough to make up time in the permanent section of the track, it still is nowhere near enough for the Ingolstadt firm. In fact, the real class to watch at Le Mans this year IMO is the LMP2 class. 4 types of chassis (Morgan, Ligier, Zytek and Oreca), 3 different engines (Judd/BMW, Nissan and Honda) and best of all, Ex Minardi tester Sergey Zlobin.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
nome66

Post by nome66 »

ah, yes the pitfalls of using bigger turbos than last year. all the power manifests itself up top and by that time, the toyotas have passed them and entered mulsanne corner already
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
mario

Post by mario »

go_Rubens wrote:Yeah, that partially explains why Porsche weren't the fastest in testing and were a couple of seconds off. It just doesn't have the power to compete with Toyota. I don't think Audi does either.

Which is interesting as, officially, Toyota and Porsche are both in the same category - the 6MJ hybrid power system - but whilst Porsche only say that their system produces ">250bhp", the Toyota hybrid power system is substantially more powerful (the petrol engines themselves produce a similar amount of power).

roblomas52 wrote:I read in autosports preview that Audi are 200bhp down on the others during the first 4-5 seconds on each straight. Even though there chassis is good enough to make up time in the permanent section of the track, it still is nowhere near enough for the Ingolstadt firm. In fact, the real class to watch at Le Mans this year IMO is the LMP2 class. 4 types of chassis (Morgan, Ligier, Zytek and Oreca), 3 different engines (Judd/BMW, Nissan and Honda) and best of all, Ex Minardi tester Sergey Zlobin.

Part of that seems to be because Audi originally developed their car around a smaller capacity unit (2MJ), reasoning that the weight penalty (in terms of gross weight and the sub optimal weight distribution) exceeded the benefits of a more powerful system at most circuits, with Le Mans being the one exception to the rule.

However, the ACO did also make a relatively late modification to the power allowance of each car per lap - the petrol powered cars were allowed to use slightly more fuel per lap whilst Audi were forced to slightly turn down the fuel flow rate on their car.
If they had known such a change was coming up, it is possible that they would have opted for a more powerful hybrid power unit than they currently have - they were fairly convinced that, under the original regulations, Toyota and Porsche could only match them if they used the full 8MJ allowance. Since both Toyota and Porsche are in the 6MJ category, Audi probably assumed they'd have the upper hand - until the ACO shifted their position slightly to make the petrol powered cars more competitive.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

My favourite weekend of the year coming up! Fridge fully stocked, Monday booked off work for obligatory recovery time, I never managed to watch the full 24 hours in one sitting last year as sleep intervened but was able to watch the remainder on Sky+ delay, will try to at least get a little bit further into the Saturday night (well, Sunday morning) this year before the semi-inevitable shut-eye.

As far as the winner goes a big part of me finds it hard to write off Audi even if Toyota are clear favourites, could be wrong but can't wait to find out either way.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Bathplug. I hope Duval's okay, the Audi's demolished the fencing at the Porsche Curves. :shock: :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Seeing on other forums that he's in an ambulance and the car on the back of a truck already, but haven't found any word on his condition. Hopefully the whole "more wrecked a car is the more energy has been dissipated" etc. applies here.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

He is ok. According to Dr. Ulrich, he is conscient and speaking. So, very good news. That's a big smash, and the Audi just keep getting very big crashes every year.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Great to hear he is okay, and a testament to the car that he was able to survive relatively unscathed.

The questions now are, can Audi get a new car built from the ground up, and will Loic be able to race, and if not, who will replace him?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:Great to hear he is okay, and a testament to the car that he was able to survive relatively unscathed.

The questions now are, can Audi get a new car built from the ground up, and will Loic be able to race, and if not, who will replace him?

I would not be surprised if Duval does not race in the end - the force with which he has struck the barriers likely to be high, such that the medical centre might want to keep him under observation for an extended period of time in case of subsequent complications. If Audi can ready another car, it's possible that they might have to reduce their crew down to just di Grassi and Kristensen - I think that, a few years ago, one of the LMP2 teams ran with just two drivers when one of the drivers had to withdraw after the qualifying sessions due to ill health.

East Londoner wrote:Image

Bathplug. I hope Duval's okay, the Audi's demolished the fencing at the Porsche Curves. :shock: :|

The damage to the fencing is almost as worrying as the damage to the car - it begs the question of how much protection those fences really do provide to the marshals on the other side of the fence as well as what protection they provide to the drivers.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

mario wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:Great to hear he is okay, and a testament to the car that he was able to survive relatively unscathed.

I would not be surprised if Duval does not race in the end - the force with which he has struck the barriers likely to be high, such that the medical centre might want to keep him under observation for an extended period of time in case of subsequent complications. If Audi can ready another car, it's possible that they might have to reduce their crew down to just di Grassi and Kristensen - I think that, a few years ago, one of the LMP2 teams ran with just two drivers when one of the drivers had to withdraw after the qualifying sessions due to ill health.

I initially thought of Dindo Capello after he drove the car in the new advert where he did some donuts outside of the Porsche HQ.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wonder if they would/could get Alan McNish as a late-minute stand-in? Or if he would wish to?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

mario wrote:

The damage to the fencing is almost as worrying as the damage to the car - it begs the question of how much protection those fences really do provide to the marshals on the other side of the fence as well as what protection they provide to the drivers.

I think motorsport needs to start look for a safer alternative for fencing, because in some recent accidents, it does seem to be something of a liability - Dario Franchitti's career-ending crash last year, and Dan Wheldon's fatal crash come to mind.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Salamander wrote: Dario Franchitti's career-ending crash last year, and Dan Wheldon's fatal crash come to mind.

And Kenny Brack.

I wonder what the marshall said?! Scary.
-*:-
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

mario wrote:

Having seen some more images, methinks the fence came down as a result of the debris from the Audi.
EDIT: here is the video where I saw those images.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1guuj_dmnk
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Sorry for the double post everyone but Duval is not taking part at Le Mans, he is being replaced by Marc Gene.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114403
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Salamander wrote:I think motorsport needs to start look for a safer alternative for fencing, because in some recent accidents, it does seem to be something of a liability - Dario Franchitti's career-ending crash last year, and Dan Wheldon's fatal crash come to mind.

I agree. I've heard that the roof of the car hit the fence first, which would have ended much worse in an open-top car.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

How nobody was killed here is incredible. I hate to imagine what would have happened in an open cockpit car...
Message me on Discord.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Shadaza wrote:Image

How nobody was killed here is incredible. I hate to imagine what would have happened in an open cockpit car...

And to think Duval escaped with only a few cuts and bruises in just incredible.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

roblomas52 wrote:

And thankfully no spectators or marshalls appear to be getting hurt either.

And another entry withdraws due to a crash. When was the last time the entry list was below 55? How big a deal is a not-full entry list come the start of the race? I imagine one or two short due to crash damage is manageable, but this list, the reserve list was exhausted with no more available, if I remember correctly?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

And there's been another shunt at the Porsche Curves. James Calado in the GTE Ferrari has gone off. No news at all at the minute about him or the car.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:

And thankfully no spectators or marshalls appear to be getting hurt either.

And another entry withdraws due to a crash. When was the last time the entry list was below 55? How big a deal is a not-full entry list come the start of the race? I imagine one or two short due to crash damage is manageable, but this list, the reserve list was exhausted with no more available, if I remember correctly?

We are certainly lucky that nobody has been severely harmed during these crashes, but it is worrying that there have been several major accidents in the past few days - I only hope that everybody's luck continues to hold for the race.

dr-baker, the ACO exhausted its reserves list quite some time ago - technically they had already exhausted their list of reserve teams before Strakka withdrew, but were able to scramble a last minute additional entrant into the GT category to make up the numbers.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Di Grassi prangs the #1 Audi and, whilst crawling back to the pits, moves slightly to the left, right into the path of the fast approaching #29 Pegasus car, which has to take avoiding action, and ends up smacking the barriers hard, front end first. That's FOUR wrecked cars now. :|

What is going on this year?
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

East Londoner wrote:Di Grassi prangs the #1 Audi and, whilst crawling back to the pits, moves slightly to the left, right into the path of the fast approaching #29 Pegasus car, which has to take avoiding action, and ends up smacking the barriers hard, front end first. That's FOUR wrecked cars now. :|

What is going on this year?

Someone secretly swaps the original drivers with Maldonado, Grosjean, de Cesaris, Cecotto Jr, Roda, and Megumi. :P

Seriously though, apparently the ACO stated that Audi will not be penalized for bringing replacement chassis for the #1 R18.
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:dr-baker, the ACO exhausted its reserves list quite some time ago - technically they had already exhausted their list of reserve teams before Strakka withdrew, but were able to scramble a last minute additional entrant into the GT category to make up the numbers.

That's what I thought, Mario. I don't remember there being such a problem with getting a full grid to commit to the race before. Indy has always managed a full 33-car grid in recent years, even if there had only been 33 entries, as per this year. Last-minute withdrawals (as per the past day or two due to accidents) I can understand, but fully exhausting the reserve list some time before the race? Normally, if you were last reserve, would you not normally assume that that meant you had next-to-zero chance of being there?

(Oh, and I do hope and pray for the safety of all the drivers involved in accidents, hoping for speedy recoveries.)
MCard LOLA
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

And another big crash at Le Mans, this time for Chandok at Indianapolis. Way too many crashes in this last two days. I'm just hoping that no serious crashes happen in the race.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Miguel98 wrote:And another big crash at Le Mans, this time for Chandok at Indianapolis. Way too many crashes in this last two days. I'm just hoping that no serious crashes happen in the race.

Not to mention that Calado has been ruled out after he crashed the AF Corse Ferrari. The #99 Aston has been withdrawn after a huge crash. I just hope that there are no more huge crashes.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

nome66

Post by nome66 »

can the crashes be pinned down to anything? any telemetry from them? track conditions? a particular corner? driver error?

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
mario

Post by mario »

nome66 wrote:can the crashes be pinned down to anything? any telemetry from them? track conditions? a particular corner? driver error?

They seem to be struggling to determine the cause of some of the crashes - Audi are still at a loss to explain what happened to Duval (Autosport have noted that there was a similar incident there when Gene ran wide over the grass strip at the edge of the corner in 2008 and the car was launched into the air, so driver error is one possible cause).
Similarly, Rees, the driver of the #99 Aston Martin car, is unsure what happened - he was momentarily knocked out during the crash and so cannot clearly recall what happened. As for the telemetry, that shows that the car suddenly oversteered during the corner but doesn't seem to explain why that happened.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I'm sure Mark Webber is glad the Porsches are not getting airbourne...
MCard LOLA
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Personally, I think the track itself could be at fault here because I think the cars may be starting to outstrip the trackside safety. Now as far back as 1970, there were plans to redesign the track and here are a couple of them.

I have even done a couple of my own

Proposal 1
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=6337080

Proposal 2. The fully permanent one
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=6337088

The point I am making here is that the cars might be too quick for the circuit to cope with. There must be a compromise.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

First, the cars were even quicker in 2008-2010 than they are today. Not only the LMP1 cars were faster than today, but also the GT1 cars were faster than today's GTE cars. Then I don't think that the track needs a massive redesign. The layout isn't particularily dangerous. The Mulsanne straight is interrupted in three segments, which are comparable to the straights at Monza or old Hockenheim. The Bugatti circuit part is up to modern safety standards. The debatable parts are the kink at Indianapolis and the Porsche Curves. In the case of Indianapolis, adding a bit more runoff should be no problem. The Porsche Curves are the big problem. Adding more runoff is difficult without moving lots of earth, because of the elevation changes in this section. But it can be done, like at Spa.

More than the layout, a problem at Le Mans are the barriers. Simonsen's accident last year ended tragic because they put a barrier directly in front of the trees. The barriers at Tertre Rouge have changed this year, as the barrier has been moved away from the trees, and tyres have been added. Meanwhile, at the Porsche Curves,they still use only guardrails or even concrete walls as a barrier. I can't understand why those haven't been replaced by SAFER Barriers yet.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Well, that's not exactly the best way to spend your 25th birthday.

Get well soon James. His crash must have been much bigger than we originally thought. :|
mario

Post by mario »

pi314159 wrote:First, the cars were even quicker in 2008-2010 than they are today. Not only the LMP1 cars were faster than today, but also the GT1 cars were faster than today's GTE cars. Then I don't think that the track needs a massive redesign. The layout isn't particularily dangerous. The Mulsanne straight is interrupted in three segments, which are comparable to the straights at Monza or old Hockenheim. The Bugatti circuit part is up to modern safety standards. The debatable parts are the kink at Indianapolis and the Porsche Curves. In the case of Indianapolis, adding a bit more runoff should be no problem. The Porsche Curves are the big problem. Adding more runoff is difficult without moving lots of earth, because of the elevation changes in this section. But it can be done, like at Spa.

More than the layout, a problem at Le Mans are the barriers. Simonsen's accident last year ended tragic because they put a barrier directly in front of the trees. The barriers at Tertre Rouge have changed this year, as the barrier has been moved away from the trees, and tyres have been added. Meanwhile, at the Porsche Curves,they still use only guardrails or even concrete walls as a barrier. I can't understand why those haven't been replaced by SAFER Barriers yet.

I think that there are a couple of issues with the SAFER barrier design that make it less attractive for Le Mans, one of which is the speed with which it can be rebuilt after an impact. Because the SAFER barrier is designed to partially crush and deform in order to dissipate energy during a crash, the barrier has to be rebuilt with new components after a crash - whilst the barrier worked well to protect Perez in his crash in Monaco, there were concerns that a relative lengthy section of the barrier had to be replaced afterwards (and there was a question over how effective the barrier would have been if there had been a second crash after the barrier had been repaired).

That said, the 2014 cars are actually approaching the sort of speeds that they were attaining in 2008-2010 - Audi were clocked at 344kph in 2010 during qualifying, whilst this year Toyota has been clocked at 339kph in the traps (though it seems the onboard telemetry data presented on the TV feed suggested Toyota were actually hitting 343kph on the straights). In terms of lap time, they're currently about two seconds a lap off the 2010 pace - however, considering that the practise sessions have been heavily disrupted due to the numerous accidents, you could potentially have shaved a few tenths off that with cleaner runs.

On another note, it seems that there is a little bit of doubt over another car - this time, it is the #79 ProSpeed Porsche entry. Having crashed during the first qualifying session, Bret Curtis has been ruled out on medical ground - now, whilst the team are currently building up their spare chassis, they have still not received permission to enter their new chassis, nor has their proposed driver change (Sebastien Crubile, who competed at Le Mans last year) been agreed to.
The alternative solution would be to run with the two remaining drivers, Bleekemolen and MacNeil - however, because the #79 car is entered into the GTE Am category, the team has to run at least one 'bronze' (i.e. amateur) driver. Because Bleekemolen and MacNeil are both in higher categories given they are professional racing drivers, they wouldn't be allowed to compete in the GTE Am category - so unless the ACO agrees to allow the team to run Crubile or allows ProSpeed to move into the GTE Pro category, ProSpeed might have to withdraw their entry. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114435
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Good News.
The #79 Porsche is racing but in the GTE Pro class.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

mario

Post by mario »

roblomas52 wrote:Good News.
The #79 Porsche is racing but in the GTE Pro class.

They are indeed now competing in the GTE Pro category, though the stewards have rejected the request from ProSpeed to use Sebastien Crubile - although Sebastian raced at Le Mans last year and is currently active in the European Le Mans Series (so hardly a rookie driver), the stewards will not allow him to compete because he would not be able to complete any laps at night before the start of the race. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114437
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

And it took about 30 minutes for one of the Porsche's to encounter problems. Stuck on the pit limiter speed.

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The ZEOD lasted all of 24 minutes before terminally breaking down. Oh dear.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

And we've got two wrecked LMP1s, the #3 Audi and the #8 Toyota collided in the rain. Loads of damage to both.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

wow that rain is just murdering the mulsanne straight right now jeez!

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

The #20 Porsche of Bernhard, Hartley and the great Mark Webber is leading.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote: