Your Reject of the Race - Germany!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Debaser

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Germany!

Post by Debaser »

That's harsh, he was a almost a whole car length ahead before braking for turn 1, and your not going to be conservative in that scenario. Also points are fairly meaningless for Hamilton, he might as well go for broke and try to lead and win races. And to top it off it wasn't his fault Webber nudged him, could have happened to anybody.
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

I'm also going to chip in in Hamilton's defence - unlike Fuji, which absolutely was a stupid rookie error, startline/t1 heroics were Lewis' only option this time around. KERS had done its job, he'd got the bulk of the overlap and was almost cleanly into second place. Improved as the McLaren was, it was never going to make headway through the Brawns and Red Bulls once things got settled - but if he'd made second stick he'd have probably got a podium (barrichello would have wandered off to win, while hamilton held up webber until the first round of stops), as opposed to playing it safe for a 5th or something.

The other side to the argument would be along the lines of "what else was he supposed to do?" KERS meant he was only ever going to be in the thick of the top 4 by T1, the only way he could have been more cautious would have been to not push the button off the line.
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Jordan192 wrote:I'm also going to chip in in Hamilton's defence - unlike Fuji, which absolutely was a stupid rookie error, startline/t1 heroics were Lewis' only option this time around. KERS had done its job, he'd got the bulk of the overlap and was almost cleanly into second place. Improved as the McLaren was, it was never going to make headway through the Brawns and Red Bulls once things got settled - but if he'd made second stick he'd have probably got a podium (barrichello would have wandered off to win, while hamilton held up webber until the first round of stops), as opposed to playing it safe for a 5th or something.

The other side to the argument would be along the lines of "what else was he supposed to do?" KERS meant he was only ever going to be in the thick of the top 4 by T1, the only way he could have been more cautious would have been to not push the button off the line.

He could've paid attention to his braking point. I'm pretty sure Hamilton was to only one to miss his braking point into turn 1 - otherwise he would not have messed up turn 1, clipped Webber, and cut his tyre. Instead, he hit the bump, went into turn 1 too hot, attempted to salvage it, and in the process clipped Webber and cut his tyre.

If he had braked at the proper point, he would've gotten third, and would likely have held that position, or perhaps even second, as Kovalainen held everyone up.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
ImissJORDAN

Post by ImissJORDAN »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:He could've paid attention to his braking point. I'm pretty sure Hamilton was to only one to miss his braking point into turn 1 - otherwise he would not have messed up turn 1, clipped Webber, and cut his tyre. Instead, he hit the bump, went into turn 1 too hot, attempted to salvage it, and in the process clipped Webber and cut his tyre.

If he had braked at the proper point, he would've gotten third, and would likely have held that position, or perhaps even second, as Kovalainen held everyone up.

Find some highlights (/go on iPlayer, part 2) and watch the replay from Webber's car. You'll see that Hamilton's tyre was cut before the cars had started braking, and that this gave him immediate detriment in terms of braking. I believe he would have been able to stop and assume third had his tyre not been cut. I don't even like the James Allen, but you've got to be fair.
Hill - 1998 Belgian Grand Prix, Frentzen - 1999 French Grand Prix, 1999 Italian Grand Prix, Fisichella - 2003 Brazilian Grand Prix
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

ImissJORDAN wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:He could've paid attention to his braking point. I'm pretty sure Hamilton was to only one to miss his braking point into turn 1 - otherwise he would not have messed up turn 1, clipped Webber, and cut his tyre. Instead, he hit the bump, went into turn 1 too hot, attempted to salvage it, and in the process clipped Webber and cut his tyre.

Find some highlights (/go on iPlayer, part 2) and watch the replay from Webber's car. You'll see that Hamilton's tyre was cut before the cars had started braking, and that this gave him immediate detriment in terms of braking. I believe he would have been able to stop and assume third had his tyre not been cut. I don't even like the James Allen, but you've got to be fair.

I didn't see that when I was watching the race. And I can't watch the highlights since my internet connection sucks.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Sebastien Bourdais gets kicked up the standings for this one: after losing his job, he's now decided to seek legal advice no the basis that Toro Rosso breached his contract by dismissing him early.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Captain Hammer wrote:Sebastien Bourdais gets kicked up the standings for this one: after losing his job, he's now decided to seek legal advice no the basis that Toro Rosso breached his contract by dismissing him early.

Ahh. That's more like it. More bickering behind the scenes. :lol: I'm on STR's side here because Bourdais hasn't done much (read:anything) to convince STR to honour his contract till the end of the season.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

I was gonna nominate my dad for recording the race to dvd with no sound but it turns out my dvd player was broken... so instead i nominate my DVD player......
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I'm pretty sure Jamie and Enoch will choose Hamilton, the Stewards, Raikkonen or Barrichello for Reject.

I really should do some kind of voting tally at the end of each thread just to see what the popular opinion was. But I'm too lazy.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
crazydude1992

Post by crazydude1992 »

Raikkonen for "heroics". Rubinho a close 2nd, as for Bourdais, I dont really remember what he did. Thats why maybe he too deserves it for anonimously retiring on his last race having been anonymous earlier in the race...
Artificial intelligence is no match for F1 rejectdom.
Life w12

Post by Life w12 »

This pretty much sums up the race here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_mrKDGdXmg
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Very Wile E. Coyote. Espeically the Twitter gag.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

wombat wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:I agree Mark Webber probably overcooked it a bit, but in an F1 car you can't really see outside. Did him and Barrichello actually touch? I was under the impression they didn't.

If you watch the start you will see that Webber had a Brawn in his left hand mirror 9although he did say the mirrors are useless). Could have thought it was Rubens so he moved right to protect the inside line for the corner

Indeed, I have seen the images again and seen the thump. Missed it first time around, possibly because I was having lunch at the time... :oops:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!