The not-so-rejectful YouTube Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
midgrid

Re: The not-so-rejectful YouTube Thread

Post by midgrid »

OMG, it's the Ligier teapot! :shock:
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Here is some footage of the very first CART season, back in 1979. With your host DISCO PAUL PAGE~!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1PKFZxjfgw
MIA SAN MIA!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I wonder if anything like this has ever been posted here. For everyone interested in engineering on a tiny scale, I give you: The World's Smallest V12 engine.

It's a demonstration model to show that it works - in that it runs on compressed air and that's what makes the pistons move as opposed to there being any actual fuel involved, but otherwise it's the architecture of a 12cc, V12 pushrod diesel - presumably because there could never be a spark plug made that small.

No doubt the enviro-fascists will still find some way of complaining about it...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

After re-watching the old Suzuki Escudo Pike's Peak video from page 1 of this thread, I came across another one, this time the full climb in a Suzuki SX4 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y3OFf0ArU&hd=1

It gets more spectacular as it goes on, once he's off the tarmac, and getting higher up the peak. The next year the same guy broke the record on the further-paved course, aged 60(!) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlmciM6lOCs&hd=1

And one more, motorbikes this time, why not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X-X9SZqGFo&hd=1
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Spa in the wet, from the perspective of 2010's Lucas di Grassi.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

shinji wrote:Spa in the wet, from the perspective of 2010's Lucas di Grassi.

Engine sounds magnificent.

Also, di Grassi drove with only one eye open, since the camera was blocking the other? Is there another way to have the camera near that section of the head?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I went onto the internet the other day and I found this.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Wizzie wrote:I went onto the internet the other day and I found this.

You sir, have been trumped.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Why are nowadays so many full races found at YouTube? Did Google pay money to FOM, or did FOM just give up flagging the videos?
MIA SAN MIA!
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

FOM concentrate mostly on current footage being uploaded, but they still target "classic" videos as well. Hence the vast majority of those races have been uploaded in the last few weeks or months. Eventually most of the accounts will be banned, but the races will most likely be uploaded again with new ones.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The trick of course is whilst they're still up, just get yourself an external hard drive, and download them all! ;)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

AndreaModa wrote:The trick of course is whilst they're still up, just get yourself a very large external hard drive, and download them all! ;)

If only there was a quick and easy way to do that, though. *coughkeepviddotcomcough* What? No, I said nothing, honest...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Anyone remember the Eurosport F1 intro (Which, as I found out later, was just given to them by their mother company TF1), which was pretty awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bI_BODmLWI

This Eurosport intro from 1992 is also pretty decent. It also has the classic FIA intro as an added bonus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4rBJAfxoh4

ESPN Speedworld also had some damn good intros. Like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1F4P4ICmV4

Or its rockier version from the end-90's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOgISkbQrWY
Last edited by Ferrarist on 06 Aug 2012, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
MIA SAN MIA!
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

WaffleCat wrote:Maldonado:The Movie

I'd pay actual money to see that in the cinema
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

WaffleCat wrote:Maldonado:The Movie

Maldonado's win this year has affected me. Tonight I had a dream that Sébastien Bourdais won a race... in this year's STR.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

--Nigel Roebuck
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Actually, Murray had one fact wrong in the video. The car with which Alesi duelled Senna for the 1990 US GP win was the 018, not the 019, which was introduced at San Marino.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Belcar, the Belgian version of the German VLN championship, back when it was awesome. I mean, an Audi A4 Supertouring competing mano-y-mano with a Porsche 911 GT2 certainly is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYbZAwHatps
Too bad such a championship doesn't exist anymore (Belcar at least), whereas the VLN has just become GT3 feat. other classes.
MIA SAN MIA!
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Ferrarist wrote:Belcar, the Belgian version of the German VLN championship, back when it was awesome. I mean, an Audi A4 Supertouring competing mano-y-mano with a Porsche 911 GT2 certainly is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYbZAwHatps
Too bad such a championship doesn't exist anymore (Belcar at least), whereas the VLN has just become GT3 feat. other classes.

This championship was really epic, i've went to see some races at zolder now and then, and the mix of GT's (fast porsches and the monstrous works marcos) versus the works audi and lots of bmws, but also small touring cars. And the original Gillet Vertigo! (not the Streiff type, but the one before that)
The championship existed until 2005 or 2006 i think ,before they decided to switch to GT3, which failed. Belgian motorsport since hasn't recovered.
A great championship like this still existing today is the Dutch Supercar Challenge! In fact, it only got succesful because of the Belcar championship dissapearing.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

This wrote:
Ferrarist wrote:Belcar, the Belgian version of the German VLN championship, back when it was awesome. I mean, an Audi A4 Supertouring competing mano-y-mano with a Porsche 911 GT2 certainly is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYbZAwHatps

This championship was really epic, i've went to see some races at zolder now and then, and the mix of GT's (fast porsches and the monstrous works marcos) versus the works audi and lots of bmws, but also small touring cars. And the original Gillet Vertigo! (not the Streiff type, but the one before that)
The championship existed until 2005 or 2006 i think ,before they decided to switch to GT3, which failed. Belgian motorsport since hasn't recovered.
A great championship like this still existing today is the Dutch Supercar Challenge! In fact, it only got succesful because of the Belcar championship dissapearing.

I saw Porsche, BMW, Audi, Volvo, Ford, Lotus and Ferrari in that race. A great mix of cars on a wet Spa. Great video!
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

AdrianSutil wrote:
This wrote:

I saw Porsche, BMW, Audi, Volvo, Ford, Lotus and Ferrari in that race. A great mix of cars on a wet Spa. Great video!

also a callaway/corvette, alfa romeo's, honda's, a mazda , marcos, an opel, a tvr (though very hard to spot in this video, it's a red car), also notice the porsche speedster (in the opening crash), which proves the freedom of regulations they had back then.
n the video of Assen that you can find of this championship, you can also see the works marcos LM500, here were only private Mantis and LM500. A year later we also had the Gillet, caterhams, BMW Z3's, the first Viper, and a huge finnish Audi 80, that year was even better. I wish those days came back.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

As long as you had a roll-cage and fairly decent financial backing, you could go racing by the sound of it
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Alain Prost being a boss.

And not a hint of oversteer or corrections at the wheel. I love this guy.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Two of the best 'on the limit' laps you will ever see at Surfers Paradise

EDIT: And the amazing thing was it was the third lap in that run that's missing from video that was the eventual pole lap where he knocked off another six tenths of a second off his already impressive time. Twas simply mindblowing stuff to watch five years ago and still mindblowing now.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Alain Prost is always a boss.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

redbulljack14 wrote:

His driving is as smooth as a baby's backside. And before anyone calls the moderator policeor the nonce squad, it's A British saying.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

JJMonty
Location: Jersey! (The old one, not that American mk2 version!)

Post by JJMonty »

AdrianSutil wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:

His driving is as smooth as a baby's backside. And before anyone calls the moderator policeor the nonce squad, it's A British saying.

I'm probably going to get my head ripped off for being so cynical - but am I the only one to realise that he is driving very smooth because he isn't actually going at racing speed?
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

GOD ALMIGHTY! :o
That, next to Kubica's lap at Monaco two years ago, is one of the most breathtaking drives I've ever seen.
Even without knowing the lap time you can tell that he was on fire that day.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

JJMonty wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:

I'm probably going to get my head ripped off for being so cynical - but am I the only one to realise that he is driving very smooth because he isn't actually going at racing speed?

No, most of the footage in that series ("Lap of the Gods") was indeed captured at a relatively sedate pace. Eddie Cheever at Detroit in the wet and any of Patrick Depailler's laps are notable exceptions.
--Nigel Roebuck
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

midgrid wrote:
JJMonty wrote:

No, most of the footage in that series ("Lap of the Gods") was indeed captured at a relatively sedate pace. Eddie Cheever at Detroit in the wet and any of Patrick Depailler's laps are notable exceptions.

No, JJMonty, you're not going to have your head ripped off, don't worry. However, there is (because I believe there's still up) a YouTube video doing the rounds comparing an on-board hot lap of Senna and Prost at the 1989 Japanese GP. You can still see that even when Prost was driving as hard as he could he was still pretty smooth.

And, Nigel Roebuck also made this remark once:

Probably no one ever made the driving of a Grand Prix car look as easy as Alain did. He was quite uncannily smooth. I remember watching qualifying at Monaco one year with Denis Jenkinson, and we talked about who was going to be on pole. There were various possibilities – and then suddenly they announced that Prost had just shattered the previous best time. “Now where the hell did that come from?” said Jenks. “Didn’t even notice he was out…”
JJMonty
Location: Jersey! (The old one, not that American mk2 version!)

Post by JJMonty »

midgrid wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:

Thought I recognised the video clips! I used to watch them when I was young on the VHS :') In the wet is fine, you don't go fast so just power slide! :P Depailler's lap around Montreal was brilliant because he was turning into every corner the wrong way :P

No, JJMonty, you're not going to have your head ripped off, don't worry. However, there is (because I believe there's still up) a YouTube video doing the rounds comparing an on-board hot lap of Senna and Prost at the 1989 Japanese GP. You can still see that even when Prost was driving as hard as he could he was still pretty smooth.

I have seen that video also! :) Prost's driving is very smooth! He always drove with a style that you just knew there was something extra in the bag if he needed to dig it out and if you ever saw him on pole, chances were he was going to win the race! My moan was just because it kinda annoyed me seeing people saying how smooth someone's driving was on a video clip where he was taking it easy - if that made any sense :?
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Awesome Nurburging onboard lap in a Zonda R :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPd0ATqvoJM&hd=1

Great driving on show, decent quality video and sound, all in all, well worth 7-1/2 minutes of your time!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »