The 2012 British Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ferrim

Re: The 2012 British Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Ferrim »

What I don't understand is why they avoid using wet tyres, when we all know that the SC will be deployed and/or the race will be red flagged as soon as the track is too wet for intermediates. :roll:

I hate when it's raining hard and they refuse to pit for the proper, wet tyres just to avoid a pitstop, then everyone starts aquaplanning and the race is stopped because "it's dangerous". Of course it is, but only because people are choosing not to run the correct tyres! As they stop the race very soon, they give an incentive to stay out on intermediate tyres instead of switching to wets, so that the next time less and less people pit, and so on. The only time they got it right in recent years was the 2008 British GP, when the rain started to fall harder but the SC stayed in: Barrichello took advantage of the conditions to switch to wet tyres and score a podium in a crap Honda.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

kostas22 wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:
eurobrun wrote:I agree, I actually quite like the team now.

GO GROSJEAN!

What?! He's turning!

I think the Grosjean avatar I made him wear has finally got to him. :mrgreen:

No, look at my original post on the other page :roll:
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Ferrim wrote:I hate when it's raining hard and they refuse to pit for the proper, wet tyres just to avoid a pitstop, then everyone starts aquaplanning and the race is stopped because "it's dangerous". Of course it is, but only because people are choosing not to run the correct tyres! As they stop the race very soon, they give an incentive to stay out on intermediate tyres instead of switching to wets, so that the next time less and less people pit, and so on. The only time they got it right in recent years was the 2008 British GP, when the rain started to fall harder but the SC stayed in: Barrichello took advantage of the conditions to switch to wet tyres and score a podium in a crap Honda.

Then again, one has to remember that the Bridgestone intermediate had the widest operating window known to man as it could be used from a virtually dry track all the way to a virtual monsoon and everything in between. The Pirelli inter on the other hand has a much smaller operating window in which it can be used.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

eurobrun wrote:
kostas22 wrote:I think the Grosjean avatar I made him wear has finally got to him. :mrgreen:

What, the one where you said 'GO GROSJEAN'? :P
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
eurobrun wrote:
kostas22 wrote:I think the Grosjean avatar I made him wear has finally got to him. :mrgreen:

What, the one where you said 'GO GROSJEAN'? :P

No, the post on page 1
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

JESUS CHRIST KOVALEINEN IN 7TH?!
Trump 2016
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

East Londoner wrote:Sadly knowing what this country is like, I wonder how long it will be until some numpties blame the Silverstone organisers for the torrential weather? :roll: :evil:

Jackpot :roll:
Just For One Day...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Quick question: Why are Williams in the pit garages closest to Pit Exit? Shouldn't that be where Marussia are?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Wizzie wrote:Quick question: Why are Williams in the pit garages closest to Pit Exit? Shouldn't that be where Marussia are?

AIUI, because of the design of the pitlane the "big teams" (Red Bull, McLaren, Ferrari) can not be seen from the grandstands when they are at the ends. So they've been put in the middle and the other, "irrelevant" teams have been forced to the ends.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Charles Pic car failure, RED FLAG

Shut up Eccles!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Red Flag. Pic's broken down just before Becketts.

Was actually doing a fantastic job as he was fastest out of all the new teams before that happened
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Lotus are doing yet more powersteering work on their car. That may sound boring, except it's NOT on Kimi's car for once :lol:
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

That puddle smack bang in the middle of Chapel is one of the dodgiest things I've ever seen. How that hasn't ended with the mother and father of all big shunts yet is beyond me :|
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Hang on, what's going on? It's supposed to be raining cats and dogs, no? Are we still in for rain during qualifying?
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Hang on, what's going on? It's supposed to be raining cats and dogs, no? Are we still in for rain during qualifying?

There's still showers in the area and the clouds when looking out on the exit of Copse look really bad but, in all honesty, it's anyone's guess.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Horrible 30 seconds for Sauber. Kobayashi spins at Club and Perez rips off a front wing
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Did someone just accidentally lean on a "self-destruct" button in the Sauber pits...?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Paul Hayes wrote:Did someone just accidentally lean on a "self-destruct" button in the Sauber pits...?

Maybe it was Massa in a last ditch attempt to save his Ferrari drive :lol:
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Ooh, second car failure for Pic.

Shut up Eccles!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

GwilymJJames wrote:Ooh, second car failure for Pic.

Probably the same problem as last time (Which was, from memory a fuel pickup problem of some description
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Apparently there's some very nasty clouds closing in from the Milton Keynes direction. Can anyone from that direction clarify that for us?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Surprise Vulcan flyover? Melrose approves. :lol:
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Let's hope Button can carry his practice form through to the later stages of the weekend this time!

Mind you, looks like we could have a bit of "Jenson-Button-Wetter", as our German friends probably don't say, tomorrow.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Wizzie wrote:Apparently there's some very nasty clouds closing in from the Milton Keynes direction. Can anyone from that direction clarify that for us?

There are some clouds, but I've seen no rain.

Oh it's raining there.

Shut up Eccles!
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Wizzie wrote:
Paul Hayes wrote:Did someone just accidentally lean on a "self-destruct" button in the Sauber pits...?

Maybe it was Massa in a last ditch attempt to save his Ferrari drive :lol:

Both Saubers looked very unstable to me, they can be happy to have finished the session with relatively minor damage.

It's raining at Silverstone right now, according to Ferrari's Twitter feed.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

A Force India feature on Sky WITHOUT talking to Di Resta? What in the name of all things holy has happened :lol:
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Apparently Murray Walker's going to be a guest in the commentary box for the BBC during qualifying, which is rather nice!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

pasta_maldonado wrote:A Force India feature on Sky WITHOUT talking to Di Resta? What in the name of all things holy has happened :lol:

If there's one thing I've always liked about the Sky coverage, it has to be all the segments on the history of F1 and the like.

Like the one with Moss and Brooks right now
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Wizzie wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:A Force India feature on Sky WITHOUT talking to Di Resta? What in the name of all things holy has happened :lol:

If there's one thing I've always liked about the Sky coverage, it has to be all the segments on the history of F1 and the like.

Like the one with Moss and Brooks right now

It's a nice touch that hasn't been incorporated into coverage before :) I wish the historic race re caps were a little longer, like th old BBC red button ones
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Paul Hayes wrote:Apparently Murray Walker's going to be a guest in the commentary box for the BBC during qualifying, which is rather nice!

Murray Walker and Ben Edwards together?

My life's commentating dream team duo is complete.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

You know, if I was the strategist of a midfield team, I'd fill both my cars up and just have them circulating for the entire qualifying session and just change the tyres when necessary. That way, they'll at least be on track when the conditions are at their best. Then again, I'm not an F1 team strategist :lol:
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Chandhok spotted at Force India, let's start a rumour.

Shut up Eccles!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Blimey, they're all going out! This is gonna be mental.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Kimi's got no KERS already
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Di Resta nearly derped into one of the Williams already.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Kimi and Grosjean nearly into each other.
S951

Post by S951 »

come on hrt put some softs on take a risk
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Rosberg in the drop zone with less than 10 minutes left
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

This is going be a case of 'last man over the line'.

Kamui has apparenly gone on to drys. Foolhardy or a stroke of genius?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Christ, what on earth is going on with Bunsen? :(